Age of Sigmar RPG

Emmetation

16 hours ago, Emmetation said:

New ARRchetype reveal ;)

I literally CAN'T WAIT

I've been following your great project from the beginning. It looks wonderful. 

(Well okay I would not mind if you'd take another week to proof read it again, as I wish it to be perfect, but still....)

But the second it's available online I will buy it. And it will be awesome. 

BRING IT ON

• Like 1

19 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Interesting that they went with a archtype that came from the Old World.  Hope they have an old School Dwarf archtype as well. 

Or maybe not, already having a hard time choosing from Auric Runesmiter and Skyrigger. 

Black Ark Corsairs/Scourge Privateers are an established Age of Sigmar thing and have been for a while now, so I wouldn't say they're an old world archetype. They've appeared in the novels, and there's a city in Cities of Sigmar themed around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in love with that Tidecaster model at the moment. I was wondering, lore wise aren’t the Deepkin extremely reclusive? Have there been any examples in the lore of Tidecasters working with other factions? What sort of conceit would you need to have them party up with other Order heroes?

23 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Black Ark Corsairs/Scourge Privateers are an established Age of Sigmar thing and have been for a while now, so I wouldn't say they're an old world archetype. They've appeared in the novels, and there's a city in Cities of Sigmar themed around them.

I think his point is more they're the first class archtype that wasn't drawn from an new, entirely AoS design. The Witch Elf kind of counts, but since they've been receiving new kits via DoK so their place in the setting/model line going forward isn't in doubt the way those under Cities of Sigmar is (including the Corsair).

3 hours ago, michu said:

TBH those are not my ideas, Cubicle7 announced those archetypes long time ago when they released short list of example archetypes. They haven't shown them yet.

We actually decided to remove the Freeguild and the Realmswalker in the end, but you have custom character creation if you'd like to play them in your game. Hopefully this will help (and help alleviate any disappointment!)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Emmetation said:

We actually decided to remove the Freeguild and the Realmswalker in the end, but you have custom character creation if you'd like to play them in your game. Hopefully this will help (and help alleviate any disappointment!)

Removed entirely or just removed from Core Book with option of adding them later?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedMax said:

Hi @Emmetation, any info about potential translation work and, let's be cazy, dates ;) (special interest in a FR version to be precise) ?

Howdy! We do have translation partners in place for a few languages, but I'd need to check specifics. As far as dates, I wouldn't like to speak for other companies 😉

1 hour ago, michu said:

Removed entirely or just removed from Core Book with option of adding them later?

Removed from the core. Future TBD

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

I am in love with that Tidecaster model at the moment. I was wondering, lore wise aren’t the Deepkin extremely reclusive? Have there been any examples in the lore of Tidecasters working with other factions? What sort of conceit would you need to have them party up with other Order heroes?

In Malign Portents there was a story about Idoneth teaming up with Stormcast, and they've established in the lore that the Idoneth are formally part of the Order faction via various treaties and agreements - with the proviso that the other party doesn't necessarily always remember that there's an agreement in place, or even that the Idoneth exist, because of their funky mind magic. 

Different enclaves are also more or less isolationist than others - as previously mentioned, Ionrach actively seeks out alliance and cooperation with other races.

They're definitely a bit of an odd fit as adventurers (especially as they crave total numbness and lack of sensation, whereas the life of an adventurer is full of stimulation and exciting new sights and sensations) but there's definitely ways to justify it. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Emmetation said:

Hi, @Emmetationthanks for the clear-up, but I'm a bit worried by this news. 

One of the main reasons people are waiting for your RPG, as far as I can tell, is the possibility, at last, to have a "down to earth" view at the "day to day" life in the Mortal Realms. Like in some Malign Portents short stories. You said it yourself, you wanted to show us how life is like in Aqshy and beyond.

Now I understand you need to differentiate Soulbound enough from WFRP.  And of course, in terms of scope / possibilities and "power level", AOS is above WFB. And GW probably pushed for you to use existing (or supported) AOS models for your Archetypes. But then I fail to see how a Black Ark Corsair / Captain (while maybe more fantastical / exotic) is that different from a Freeguild Solider / Officier in terms of power level.

And one of the biggest thing the setting is missing right now is a "common, AOSified" human faction.

I guess we still have the Excelsior Warpriest. And judging by the cover of the book, I hope to see the influence of Warhammer Quest : Silver Tower on Soulbound. WHQ was the game that IMO achieved the best level between the new and old, the mundane and extraordinary the AOS setting could offer (latter Warcry provided that too). 

While not knowing the game itself, I had the impression your 40k RPG had a good scale of playable Characters, from Guardsmen to Primaris with Inquisitors, Rogue Traders and Techpriest in-between. And of course, more exotic Xenos.

TLDR : while not expecting a WFRP level of mundane grittiness, people are expecting a more "reliable" power level to be at least playable in AOS:SB than in the battle game itself.  And you'll get some discontent for not including a "common human" Archetype (even it would be the weakest of the list).

Can then you please tell us why you did not include those two in the core set in the end ?

P.-S. : what is a Realmswalker ? An Aelf ranger ? Some kind of Human monk ? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Can then you please tell us why you did not include those two in the core set in the end ?

Because you can make freeguilders and other AoS people with optional character creation rules, I think? That gives us more freedom with customization . Human from Aqshy will be different than human from Ghur.

EDIT: And Soulbound was advertised from beginning as bigger in scope than WFRP. @Emmetation said that our characters will start on par with lvl 5 DnD characters.

Edited by michu
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

P.-S. : what is a Realmswalker ? An Aelf ranger ? Some kind of Human monk ? 

You should read Callis and Toll: The Silver shard. It stars two regular humans and one of the principal characters is a realmswalker who is a kind of mortal realms version of Indiana Jones. They can be from any race. 

18 minutes ago, michu said:

Because you can make freeguilders and other AoS people with optional character creation rules, I think? That gives us more freedom with customization . Human from Aqshy will be different than human from Ghur.

EDIT: And Soulbound was advertised from beginning as bigger in scope than WFRP. @Emmetation said that our characters will start on par with lvl 5 DnD characters.

12 minutes ago, Chikout said:

You should read Callis and Toll: The Silver shard. It stars two regular humans and one of the principal characters is a realmswalker who is a kind of mortal realms version of Indiana Jones. They can be from any race. 

Don't misunderstand me, as I said I'm still very excited for the game, and I've followed every steps of its development with eager eyes !

So I know well that the deal is to differentiate SB enough from WFRP in terms of power level, but another part of the "deal" IMO is to show the "common life" of the Mortal Realms, notably in the eyes of its normal human inhabitants. So I was expecting (because we were originally told so, and because it was one of this games goals) to be able to play at least one, even if he was from the lower end of the power spectrum.

And on the matter of flexibility, I still don't get why "a Sylvaneth with a harpsichord" is more valid an Archetype than a Freeguild Soldier.

Also yeah I've read every bit of lore from Malign Portent to Dark Harvest, Callis and Toll and those witch takers from C L Werner - so I know even a lowly Freeguild sergent can do GREAT things in the vastness of the Mortal Realms ;) 

But as I said I'm happy with the prospect of world building (notably the wonderful Great Parch map !!!!) and the possibility of playing as an Excelsior Wapriest :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I guess it depends how they implement the custom character creation. In warhammer circles a lot of "customisation" just amounts to picking the closest thing and changing one or two points around. However in RPG circles it can be much more comprehensive. Have they said how these archetypes actually work. If they are a limited list of character classes, with some customisation then lacking the freeguild class is a problem. However I'd gotten the impression that they were more of a template to structure your point buy character creation around a specific theme. I may be misremembering, but if it is on that end of the spectrum then what options the book presents isn't too important.

In short when it comes to RPGs "Barbossa's law" tends to be in full effect. The rules are more what you'd call guidelines.

One thing to remember with these sorts of things is that they cannot do every archetype people might want--if they try, the book balloons to cost hundreds of dollars and becomes impossible to make using any bookbinding technology known to humans. There are always going to be a choices to make. Freeguild strike me as something both incredibly easy to put together using the custom chargen rules, and incredibly diverse in how you could approach them. They are not as well suited for an archetype as some of the more out there stuff, IMO. Add to that that archetypes are only a small fraction of the ways to present the setting, and I don't see the complaints as being a huge deal. I also always recommend people wait for the finished product before assuming it's not what they want.

• Like 1