Greenskin start collecting gone

SaJeel

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope they don’t discontinue the Greenskins I have always loved them and I am in the process of collecting an army of them.  If these sets fall out of production I am going to be left getting overpriced second hand models from eBay.  I truly hope it’s just repacking of the sets.

Has anyone heard anything official from GW central? I ask because a fair few of the models on the product page on the store are still shown with square bases, it could just be removal and repackaging. It also seems odd that they'd drop so many plastic sculpts at this point in time. Sales might have been down, but that's partly GW's fault if there's no Battletome for the duration of AoS's lifespan to give collectors and gamers the faith to build full armies. 

Fingers crossed its just repackaging and not removing. 

I actually didn't have seen that that the box disappeared.

To be fair, while Orruk Warboss, Orruk Great Shaman and Orruks are looking quite okay (for the quite old models) and Orruks  Warboss and  on Wyvern (at least the version that was sold as Azrag in WHFB) , Orruk Boarboys are still looking quite good.

The Orruk Boar Chariots really need a new model, with new Boars. But we can say the same about the Tuskgor Chariots.

If they doesn't stop selling the box because of parts not available anymore, a point that would speak against the retirement of the box is that "Start Collecting Greenskins" is mentioned in the priceleak for February 04, 2019

A somewhat unpopular view - but, honestly it always seemed like an odd boxset when taken in the context of their overall strategy for the game.

I can only see them continuing to take the elements of their WFB IP which had a notably distinct flavour beyond generic fantasy - shroomed-up night goblins, black orcs, murder-chick elves etc. and spinning those out into more fully realised unique factions, when it's not stuff that's just totally new (see Deepkin).

Eh thing is generic is such a loaded term. You can take any of the armies from Old World and boost them up to high fantasy very easily. All it needs is changes to the lore behind them; adjustments to how they live and wage war; some epic spells or magic or such and then some newer sculpts that make use of GW's improved casting systems and freedom of design now that they are not bound to rank and file formations. 

Heck look at Fyreslayers. They are basically just dwarves with axes. The only "epic" unit they've got is the magmadroth and even that has the more "old fantasy" style of a seat that's more a throne than the kind of seat you'd expect to see in war (complete with the insane high back that many of the dragons had for ages). 

But now they hammer magical gold runes into their skin and do all other kinds of things. It's all how you package and present a faction. 

Pssh of course - I just ordered a Rogue Idol for my finally-getting-around-to Greenskinz.

Well, hopefully, if they do get squatted, nobody will bad an eye if I proxy a bunch of non-naked orruks as Bonesplitters.

I don't think they will though. Holding on hope.

3 hours ago, SaJeel said:

Here's a question, what comes first with GW full artwork or models? I found a piece of art that features a unit that doesn't have a model and that model has never had rules.

GW art has always had loads of things that never made it into models, same as their Lore. They are better with AoS in that these days they try to keep most new art to showing only official models in artistic form; but there's always room for heroes and generic monsters and creatures that will never get a model.

52 minutes ago, Overread said:

GW art has always had loads of things that never made it into models, same as their Lore. They are better with AoS in that these days they try to keep most new art to showing only official models in artistic form; but there's always room for heroes and generic monsters and creatures that will never get a model.

Which pieces of AoS art have you found that don't have models, I just found one, only one so far, and its Orruk Related

10 hours ago, SaJeel said:

Here's a question, what comes first with GW full artwork or models? I found a piece of art that features a unit that doesn't have a model and that model has never had rules.

Here are some beast things a Stormcast and a Freeguild(?) soldier are riding.

Malign-Portents-Poster-Battlefield.jpg

I'm actually gonna say that it's good that that particular SC is gone. To me SC greenskinz always felt almost like a scam. They are not a new faction and Gw has shown no real evidence of supporting them in any way. Their models are among the oldest out of all aos models still being sold (granted, not terrible for old models, but still old) and the money savings on that box are among the worst in SC range (especially considering how easy it is to find someone selling their old orc army for cheap). That box would've been solid if the wyvern boss was in it but it's not. It also makes sense that Gw doesn't want people to start collecting greenskinz. Why you ask? Because Gw can only produce x amount of miniatures a year. They'd much rather produce tons of gloomspites, bonesplitterz, ironjaws and some ogres than ancient models that ultimately very few people seem to have any real interest in.

I'm not saying that greenskinz should be removed from game but they need a proper update as a faction with a lot of new models rather than keeping them in this "limbo-state" where they are this "kinda but not really"-dead faction (but not holding my breath or actually believing that would happen, gw can't make infinite number of factions and greenskinz just don't offer currently anything to warrant their existence).

Archived