AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Other than the Warp lightning Cannon where are these ranged MW coming from outside of spells? The only ones I can think of are 1/2 rare shooting attacks which do mortals on 6s or the terroghiest scream which he's bravery 8 against.

Slaughter priest bloodboil and that one judgement of Khorne granted they are not guarantee to go off but having the reroll from the new altar help them do d6 mortal wound at Pretty decent range.  I know Stormcast have range mortal wound abilities too

This will be the list I’m buying

Dankhold troggboss

•glowy howzit

• alpha trogg

Fungoid cave-shaman

the hand of gork 

Madcap shaman

• itchy nuisance

Loonboss

• The clammy cowl

3 fellwater troggoths

3 fellwater troggoths

9 Rockgut troggoths

60 stabbas 

battalion:

troggherd

endless spells: 

scuttletide

Morks mighty mushroom 

1990 points

• LOVE IT! 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, novakai said:

Slaughter priest bloodboil and that one judgement of Khorne granted they are not guarantee to go off but having the reroll from the new altar help them do d6 mortal wound at Pretty decent range.  I know Stormcast have range mortal wound abilities too

I guess my issue is that if you're going for the Ignix Scales you're crippling the Troggboss potential to the point where he's probably not worth it. Really need to see how the Meta shakes out on that one. The prayers really need to be considered "spells" for the purposes of everything other than dispelling...

28 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I guess my issue is that if you're going for the Ignix Scales you're crippling the Troggboss potential to the point where he's probably not worth it. Really need to see how the Meta shakes out on that one. The prayers really need to be considered "spells" for the purposes of everything other than dispelling...

LoL Khorne prayers as spells. LoL

25 minutes ago, newsun said:

LoL Khorne prayers as spells. LoL

I said considered (I meant treated as) "spells" not being spells. Mechanically the predatory Khorne/Fyreslayers prayers should be moved just like Endless Spells and things which affect Endless Spells explicitly and only should also affect Endless Prayers. It really annoys me when they introduce mechanics with checks and balances then go "oh except this one"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

I said considered (I meant treated as) "spells" not being spells. Mechanically the predatory Khorne/Fyreslayers prayers should be moved just like Endless Spells and things which affect Endless Spells explicitly and only should also affect Endless Prayers. It really annoys me when they introduce mechanics with checks and balances then go "oh except this one"

Exceptions are what bring about the character, beauty, and depth in life, I enjoy those things in games as well. Fully homoginized is boring for me...

Edited by newsun
Blood for the blood God!!!

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

yeah I feel like the judgment and invocation should be treated as endless spell when interacting with the Dankhold spell resistance,

feel like a lack of foresight that the dankhold can't negated it because of a keyword difference

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, newsun said:

Exceptions are what bring about the character, beauty, and depth in life, I enjoy those things in games as well. Fully homoginized is boring for me...

Part of the fun that comes from the whole endless spell mechanic is that you end up picking and choosing, that it can come back on you. It's a balancing mechanic for going 2nd vs going 1st.

The endless prayers just ignore all that for no good reason. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malakree said:

Part of the fun that comes from the whole endless spell mechanic is that you end up picking and choosing, that it can come back on you. It's a balancing mechanic for going 2nd vs going 1st.

The endless prayers just ignore all that for no good reason. 

I get it and there might be some places where it makes sense to have endless (xxx) all behave the same.

Judgements are not like endless spells, they work completly different, they get autodispelled at end of round at 66% or 50% chance at best, they get casted in a different way, its like saying that normal prayers should be treated as normal spells, there is just no correlation. I dont see the point for them been treated as endless spells if they are a completely different thing. Besides repeating the cast means the slaughter priests are close to the altar (wholy within 8'') and the range is pretty low with drop on 8'' and move another 8''. Cant say anything about fireslayers as i havent read them yet

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

I´ve got 6 Fellwater Trpggpth frpm a friend, and I am not sure what to do with them. As only 1 is built and 5 are in the sprue, I am concidering either to sell them, or to use them for some kind of cool army project thats more focused on painting and having cool and still playable models.

Therefore I have some questions:
-Are there any restrictions on Troggoth in an Gloomspite army? I know f.e. than only a pure Skryre Army may use Stormfiends as Battleline. Do Gloomspite have such a restriction or is a Trogboss enough?

-Is Mollog worth concidering? And how about a Fungoid Cave Shaman?

-What are the chances against armies with a lot of magic?

-How is the Trogg-Hag`? The Model is utterly ugly and therefore worth concidering and the profile looks quite fun :D

-Do we have any Value in the Spells and Terrain for the Gloomspite?

Thatnks a lot for your help!

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

-Are there any restrictions on Troggoth in an Gloomspite army? I know f.e. than only a pure Skryre Army may use Stormfiends as Battleline. Do Gloomspite have such a restriction or is a Trogboss enough?

There is only 1 gloomspite army/allegiance. Shootas and Stabbas are the battleline.
You can then gain 1/2 other units as additional battleline choices depending on what your general is.

So with a Troggboss as your general you have 4 battleline choices, Shootas, Stabbas, Fellwater Troggs and Rockgut Troggs.

-Is Mollog worth concidering? And how about a Fungoid Cave Shaman?

Mollog is a solid pick, he's not as high damage as the other options but all his damage is done as mortal wounds. If you come up against mass -hit he's going to really shine. Fungoid is the basic wizard of choice, the madcap is horrific by comparison while the spiderfang shaman is only worth it if you want a specific spell from the spiderfang lore.

-What are the chances against armies with a lot of magic?

Depends on your list, if you have Skragrott and 2 Fungoids you have 4 unbinds a turn with 2 of them at a +1 native. You will never be a Tzeentch or Nagash list but you have enough unbinds to go after your opponents key spells. Dankholds (including mollog) also have a 4+ to ignore a spell on them. We're middle of the road as far as spells go.

-How is the Trogg-Hag`? The Model is utterly ugly and therefore worth concidering and the profile looks quite fun :D

Amazing, personally I consider her and Skragrott to be the two standouts in our army. With Gryphfeather Charm the Hag becomes incredibly hard to deal with and has a lot of breadth in her kit.

EDIT: If you have any other questions feel free to ask in this thread or the standard Gitz thread.

-Do we have any Value in the Spells and Terrain for the Gloomspite?

Scuttletide is fantastic, the other 3 are situationally but ok for their points. The Loonshrine is fantastic, it provides a 12" battleshock immunity bubble and if you have Shootas or Stabbas in the army then on a 4+ at the end of your turn you can bring one of them back at half strength (once each per unit).

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Any value in the the Looncurse box for Troll players? I'm still working on my Troll list. I have 2 rockgut, 3 fellwater, Dank, and Hag. Squigs offer any good value for some bodies? They seem like they will run away reeeaal fast.

Expanding further into GG? I think small units  of boingbounderz 5-10 are decent bang for the point regardless.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:42 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Any value in the the Looncurse box for Troll players? I'm still working on my Troll list. I have 2 rockgut, 3 fellwater, Dank, and Hag. Squigs offer any good value for some bodies? They seem like they will run away reeeaal fast.

Squig Herds offer almost the same wounds/points ratio than Stabbas, but hit harder and offer less bodies. 

It's up to you wether you feel the need for more bodies or not. If "more bodies" is all you want to get, go with stabbas/shootas instead, because your Troggoths already offer some severe damage potential. 

If your decision is based on aesthetics, then it's up to you...

Edited by Hannibal

Would an Aleguzzler or Bonegrinder Gargant work in a Troggoth-heavy list? Had an idea to convert one up as an overly large mutant Dankhold Troggoth

Also, Troggoth Hag, useful or would a couple of slave Shamans work better?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Would an Aleguzzler or Bonegrinder Gargant work in a Troggoth-heavy list? Had an idea to convert one up as an overly large mutant Dankhold Troggoth

Bonegrinder is ok, Aleguzzler is a pile of garbage.

Hag is great, fungoids are great, skragrott is great. On the wizard front it's personal preference more than anything else.

• Like 4

Played a game last weekend with my Trolls up against FEC. 

My list: Dank (Loon skin/Aetherquartz Broach) , Hag, Fungoid (Hand of Gork), Orruk Warboss on Wyvern(ally), 3x3Fellwater, 2x3Rockgut, Trogg herd. 

FEC List: 4 Terrorgheists, Arkhan, Arch Regent

Battleplan: Total Commitment 

Strategy: Against, FEC... There is no strategy! Lol. I had to count on Hand of Gorking Trolls around the table for objectives. Use all the extra command pt shenanigans to buff up the Wyvern to rediculous levels. 

Deployment: I put Wyvern and 2 units of Trolls on left. Dank, Hag, Fungoid, and three units of Trolls on right. 

Turn 1: I teleported a unit of Fellwaters onto his right objective where had deployed with just enough room for me to squeeze in and cap it. Repositioned a bit to brace for the incoming charge.

Turns 1b thru 4 - Lots of carnage! I killed off 2 Terrorgheists and Arkhan. He killed off most of my list. 

At one point, he sent his Abhorrent Ghoul King on Terrorgheist into both the Dank and Hag... He got to attack first... Twice. Hag was down to 1 life left and Dank was dead. Did 2 wounds in return. Lol. FEC is suppidly OP. 

At the bottom of 4, he had tabled me and was able to score the next turn with all objectives to get the win. 

Honestly, despite being tabled, it was a good game!

MVP: Hand of Gork spell! Slow Trolls love the teleporting shenanigans! Nearly won me the game by stealing his objectives! 

Runner-up: Wyvern Ally - Before he got too heavily bracketed, he was a great way to use command pts that I always seem to have too many of in a troll list. Took out an unsupported Terrorgheist! 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 11:36 AM, Lucio said:

If you have a conversion idea that would be fun - then go for it.  The Aleguzzler is not the most competitive choice, but he can be fun.  He is definitely one of the most polarizing models in all of Destruction as some people really hate him and other people enjoy him.  That said, I don't think anyone would argue that he is a highly competitive piece.  All in all, if you are interested in a model then I would recommend proxying them in a few games to decide what your personal opinion of the piece is.  Everyone likes different stuff and I would not treat any online opinion as gospel.  There are a lot of informed opinions here, and a lot of those opinions are backed up by stats and by people trying to use things, but in the end go your own route and find out what works for you.

And I will personally say that if you ever have a conversion or hobby project that really interests you then go for it.  In my opinion it is always more fun to play with a cool model you made yourself that might have some subpar rules than a model you are not as excited about but that has great rules.

I too have been brain-storming up a few different concepts for giants (huge bonegrinders in my case) and some of them are massive Troggs.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 9:25 PM, Malakree said:

Bonegrinder is ok, Aleguzzler is a pile of garbage.

Hag is great, fungoids are great, skragrott is great. On the wizard front it's personal preference more than anything else.

I got in here to ask the same question re: Aleguzzler, hah. What are Skragrott’s main uses in a trogg army?

1 minute ago, IneptusAstartes said:

I got in here to ask the same question re: Aleguzzler, hah. What are Skragrott’s main uses in a trogg army?

A bit more survivable wizard to use Hand of Gork with. Plus gets +1 to cast/unbind. Also, a nice missile attack that continues to deal mortals and can break artifacts with his spell.

You lose out on his general's abilities... but still not a bad unit!