AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

34 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Bit of lore on the scroll of the solo ambushing Arachnarok:  they "burst through temporary Realmgates to snatch up their prey..."

That's FUN!

That was my first action. Checking on the different Arachnarok variants. Im super thrilled about how GW differentiated them. The Shaman had been the go-to variant. I like that even the unmounted spider has a place now. 

28 minutes ago, novakai said:

Mollog has special ability for his minions and is similar to a dankhold troggoth, though I can't quite read his warscroll on the page

Enemy units are minus 1 to hit if they take damage from the road but don't die for the rest of the battle round.

Attack sequence for his club is roll a dice on a 1 nothing 2-3 1 mortal 4+ D3 mortals.

Regeneration / inspiring / magic resistance same as troggboss.

Minion effects - when you allocate a wound or mortal wound you can instead remove a minion and negate the damage. 

One of them ignores this rule on a 3/5 up (doesnt get removed but still ignores the damage)

One of them gives a ranged 18 shooting attack that on a (looks like) 3/5+ does a single mortal.

One of them picks a unit within 3 in the combat phase and on a 3/5 up (they look really similar) gives minus 1 to hit.

9 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

looks like rockguts and mollog cant vomit... not very troll like! also they lost there 4+ save... i think id take fellwater trolls over rockgut. Although there clubs are -2 and flat 3 damage, hmmmm...

Rockguts have a d3 mortal wound rock throw attack that has a better range and auto hit any unit with 6+ model in them and a 5 + save for wounds and mortal wounds

21 minutes ago, novakai said:

Rockguts have a d3 mortal wound rock throw attack that has a better range and auto hit any unit with 6+ model in them and a 5 + save for wounds and mortal wounds

Whilst thats good i still think fellwater trolls have better synergy with moonclan grots. -2 to hit them and a vomit attack that can reliably hit any sized unit is quite nice. If you get charged by a monster youll have a hard time hitting it with the boulder throw, but 3 vomit attacks on a 2+ 3+ -2 damage d3 will put the hurt in.

Gloomspite Gits seem to have ample ways of dishing out MWs with spiderfang, command abilities, squigs of all kinds, spells and artefacts. It kind of makes the rockguts redundant. They certainly arent a big winner in this battletome so far, yes they hit hard but other things hit just as hard if not more so, they arent as tough as they seem, 4 wounds 5+ 5++ is ok, if they kept there 4+ save that would have been amazing, especially in cover they would be mountains to move. 

If your going pure Troll herd then yes take them, but i see general moonclan squig lists and spiderfang being the more competitive choice over them.

+ Also fellwater have 4 attacks 3+ 3+ -1 damage 2 vs the rockguts 2 attacks 3+ 3+ -2 damage 3, so potentially the fellwater trolls can kill more models.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

36 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

That was my first action. Checking on the different Arachnarok variants. Im super thrilled about how GW differentiated them. The Shaman had been the go-to variant. I like that even the unmounted spider has a place now. 

I like that they added more attacks to the crew - rather than the old crew being 4 spears + 4 bows, its now 8 + 8, or 10 + 10 if you choose the warparty variant.

• Like 1

the Skittlerstrand deepstrike ability is pretty bonkers

the flinger seems powerful if you can hit that 4+, amazing range and has good ultility

I think GW has done a good job differentiating the unit variant in this release, they all have different abilities and strengths so you got good options

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, froo said:

I like that they added more attacks to the crew - rather than the old crew being 4 spears + 4 bows, its now 8 + 8, or 10 + 10 if you choose the warparty variant.

Yeah, 10 bow shots are quite good now. The 4 attacks before were negligible. The Spider Boss can also buff their crude spears now (if I read that command ability right).

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

the Skittlerstrand deepstrike ability is pretty bonkers

the flinger seems powerful if you can hit that 4+, amazing range and has good ultility

I think GW has done a good job differentiating the unit variant in this release, they all have different abilities and strengths so you got good options

3 MW are good but forcing a unit to fight last can be really useful. But a 50% chance at best means one has to bring multiple spiders to pull that Off reliable. 

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

They pretty much nailed my wishlist I was tossing around a few months ago.

The only thing that I asked for but didn't get is a giant spider plastic kit that also had a crew option so that it becomes sort of a chariot model... but you know what, I'm ok with that.

11 minutes ago, froo said:

They pretty much nailed my wishlist I was tossing around a few months ago.

The only thing that I asked for but didn't get is a giant spider plastic kit that also had a crew option so that it becomes sort of a chariot model... but you know what, I'm ok with that.

my only thing was that they didn't release the Grot Scuttling from Silver Tower for this army. it felt weird that they didn't do that when that unit look like it would have fitted in well with the Gloomspite Gitz. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shankelton said:

I know right? The Gloomspite hype is crazy. Super pumped for anyone looking to pick up the faction. Who would have ever guessed that Goblins would have one of the largest, most impressive releases of any AoS Army? Haha

There are many words that I would use to describe goblins, but large and impressive are usually not it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, novakai said:

my only thing was that they didn't release the Grot Scuttling from Silver Tower for this army. it felt weird that they didn't do that when that unit look like it would have fitted in well with the Gloomspite Gitz. 

Personal call. If you are going for a spiderfang based army and want to run scuttliings they make perfect stabbas. Just make sure you convert an icon/banner bearer etc.

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I guess lucky I already bought 136 of the little blighters then huh? :D

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Yeah, 10 bow shots are quite good now. The 4 attacks before were negligible. The Spider Boss can also buff their crude spears now (if I read that command ability right).

That seems to be right as its a unit with Crooked Spears. The Scuttleboss is looking like it might be a great little buff piece with the Shaman taking the reins as the general.

I'm hoping the Warparty variant somehow becomes a battleline somehow as the warscroll looks like a small unit on an Arachnarok. I'm guessing the justification for extra attacks are due to some "champion".

I guess I'll have to wait. I was down at my FLGS ordering my book this morning already. My hype train has already left the station.

I'm properly spoiled for choice! I want to run a full unit of the squig knights, accompanied by the -very- desireable loonboss on cave-squig, as well as getting ahold of the mangler squig, Loonking, and the moonshrine. I think I can live with my current fanatics for now, but will replace them down the road, for sure! These will all play around my full units of stabbas and shootas.

But I also have to consider the incoming gobbapalooza and the sniffers! 

Darn it GW! I don't have the funds for this! :O 

Any insight//theories//opinions on how you'd efficiently run a list around a full blob of squig knights? Be it split up into several units (oh I hope they don't go up to 30. I mean, I do, but my wallet does not), or run as one big kill squad --- Of course, based on our current knowledge, since we don't have the full picture yet including battalions, traits, etc, etc.. 

Edit: The moonshrine seems more or less mandatory considering my core horde of 120 happy gobbos. That battleshock immunity is such a nice little cherry on top; it will feel like I'm playing Skaven again :D  (I regularly abused the crown of conquest battleshock immunity when playing skaven)

Edited by Mayple

5 minutes ago, Mayple said:

(oh I hope they don't go up to 30. I mean, I do, but my wallet does not)

The old squig hoppers went up to units of 20 and came in multiples of 5. They've been showing these off in units of 5, so I'd imagine 2 boxes would get you a min to a max unit.

One thing I like about GW is that they dont deprecate older models too easily. I am happy to buy another Skarsnik now that my painting skills are a lot better.

4 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I wonder if we can expect changes to this guy - we've been told the keywords will be adjusted, maybe they might make other adjustments too?

I kind of hope not.  I really like both the colossal and the Squig Gobbla after the last round of changes.

4 hours ago, Gecktron said:

My only nit-pick about this is that I don’t really think it was necessary to differentiate the spider with crew and spider with the flinger.  They could have merged those into one.  Making them separate feels like a bit of bloat.  Better to have more options than less though.

Edited by Skabnoze

So some big changes to the Fungoid Shaman

he lost his command ability (kind of sad) and now its just an ability to get an extra CP on a 4+ but he doesn't have to be the general or anything

the Deffcap mushroom just give you an extra spell to cast once per battle but all the negatives are gone. 

his 5+ save is now a 4+ save but he no longer always -1 to hit

his spell is the same 

I felt like he kind of got worser but with a spell lore, possible point changes, and abilities from the book, he still maybe very useful

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I kind of hope not.  I really like both the colossal and the Squig Gobbla after the last round of changes.

Speaking of the squig Gobbla - I'm getting a vague impression based on what we've seen so far that Gloomspite Gitz might be a fairly decent artillery/shooty based army. Not that they're predominantly aimed that way, mind, but there seems a real capability there.

Between Squig Gobblas, Bad moon global (sectioned?) comet drop, the skarsnik prodder artifact, Loonking's shooty range, the various more "unreliable" shooty elements like some of the Troggoths, Arachnarock catapults and such - Feel like we can blast away all we want. Especially considering our nasty collection of bonuses versus return fire, and ability to dissuade actually running at our lines (fanatics)

Just some hypothetical fungal lunacy rambling ;)