AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Alright, so for clarity:

She can't take any of the command traits, because she's not a Loonboss, Moonclan Wizard, Scuttleboss, or a Dankhold Troggoth hero

She can't take any of the artifacts, because she's not a Loonboss, Madcap Wizard, Spiderfang Hero, or a Dankhold Troggoth hero

She can't take any of the spell lores, because she's not a Moonclan Wizard, nor a Spiderfang Wizard.

But she does have the Gloomspite Gitz keyword, and a regeneration ability, so she will benefit from the double regeneration rule while under the Bad Moon, and is also a wizard, so she will also benefit from the bonus to cast. She's also a Troggoth, so the Troggboss' command ability will benefit her. 

Edit; Good catch @novakai

she can summon all the endless spells and can get all the benefits from the Caldron (knowing the whole Moonclan lore) even though she not the strongest spellcaster that can benefit from it.

Let me know if I missed anything in regards to other buffs available to her through other units or spells.

Edited by Mayple

5 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Alright, so for clarity:

She can't take any of the command traits, because she's not a Loonboss, Moonclan Wizard, Scuttleboss, or a Dankhold Troggoth hero

She can't take any of the artifacts, because she's not a Loonboss, Madcap Wizard, Spiderfang Hero, or a Dankhold Troggoth hero

She can't take any of the spell lores, because she's not a Moonclan Wizard, nor a Spiderfang Wizard.

But she does have the Gloomspite Gitz keyword, and a regeneration ability, so she will benefit from the double regeneration rule while under the Bad Moon, and is also a wizard, so she will also benefit from the bonus to cast. She's also a Troggoth, so the Troggboss' command ability will benefit her. 

Let me know if I missed anything in regards to other buffs available to her through other units or spells.

she can summon all the endless spells and can get all the benefits from the Caldron (knowing the whole Moonclan lore) even though she not the strongest spellcaster that can benefit from it.

Looking at the Loonboss on Mangler Squig - How would people feel if I only used one mangler squig on the hero version? I feel like two of them detract slightly from the focus on the Loonboss, but maybe that's just me :P

Edited by Mayple

Also am I surprised theres no "Mini Factions/Stormhosts" in this book (Or are there minifactions and I somehow missed them)? You'd think there would be like "Famous Grot Waaaghs" or something. I mean GW needs more dang practice to get those sub factions right! Either they're really good (Hammers of Sigmar by default of special characters or Gavespawn) or not worth giving up the trait and items.

I mean I completely understand that the negatives of Subfactions tend to be too harsh and also may "detract" from the normal list building, but I like the option at least. Even if it ends up a bit half baked (8 Stormhosts! How did they somehow think that was a good number!)

Or are the Gloomspite Gitz more united like Nighthaunt vs BoC/SCE?

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Also am I surprised theres no "Mini Factions/Stormhosts" in this book (Or are there minifactions and I somehow missed them)? You'd think there would be like "Famous Grot Waaaghs" or something. I mean GW needs more dang practice to get those sub factions right! Either they're really good (Hammers of Sigmar by default of special characters or Gavespawn) or not worth giving up the trait and items.

I mean I completely understand that the negatives of Subfactions tend to be too harsh and also may "detract" from the normal list building, but I like the option at least. Even if it ends up a bit half baked (8 Stormhosts! How did they somehow think that was a good number!)

Or are the Gloomspite Gitz more united like Nighthaunt vs BoC/SCE?

In the timeline section of this battletome it explains why Grots cant have Waaaghs so instead they have Gloomspites. Its not just the name of the Loonkings army its basically what there little Waaaghs are called.

Something about them not generating Waaagh energy like orcs do.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

4 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Give her a mushroom bra whilst your at it! Was reading through a thread the other day about people wanting female orruks/orks and i was just imagining them looking like her haha! Even though the whole thread was pointless, greenskins have always been made from spores, in fantasy they arrived by spores attached to the old ones ships and in the DoK battletome it provides some details that some creatures managed to escape the world that was through different means and i think the greenskin race is one of those races that you can never wipe out haha!

Slightly off topic haha! Im currently typing up a 1250pt squig list atm for my LGS campaign league that is starting up, ive gone for the following:

Loonboss on Mangler Squig - General: Fight another day Artifact: Moonface Mommet

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig

Fungoid Cave Shaman - Spell: Itchy Nuisance

10 Squig Hoppers

10 Squig Hoppers

10 Squig Bounders

6 Squig Herd

6 Squig Herd

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron

1250pts 

For his once per game second cast i will probably do Squig Lure.

Do you think three units of hoppers/Bounders is the magic number? I was thinking of something similar but with two units of 12 squig herds, then less hoppers. 

1 hour ago, Luke1705 said:

Do we know what the battalions do outside of the troggoth one yet?

So the Spiderfang/Moonclan each have one large battalion and 3 small ones over a 2 page spread. The small ones are things like "1 loonboss, 1-3 units of shoota/stabbas" once per game when you bring one of the units from this battalion back with the moonshrine it comes back at full strength. etc.

One of the spiderfang ones is just "units in this battalion have +2" move" 

So it really depends which battalions you're talking about, there's some funky ones and some eh ones.

EDIT: One thing which is slightly irritating is that it says "Battleline If general is a Dankhold Troggboss" without the keyword bold, so if Moloch was your general you couldn't have troggs as battleline 😥

Edited by Malakree

29 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So the Spiderfang/Moonclan each have one large battalion and 3 small ones over a 2 page spread. The small ones are things like "1 loonboss, 1-3 units of shoota/stabbas" once per game when you bring one of the units from this battalion back with the moonshrine it comes back at full strength. etc.

So it really depends which battalions you're talking about, there's some funky ones and some eh ones.

EDIT: One thing which is slightly irritating is that it says "Battleline If general is a Dankhold Troggboss" without the keyword bold, so if Moloch was your general you couldn't have troggs as battleline 😥

Yeah I saw the GMG YouTube video like as soon as I posted it but don’t know how to delete things. From what they said, I’d say all of the formations sound pretty eh.

I think GW just overvalues the ability to out-drop your opponent. I mean sure it’s good and all, but most of the time I feel like the advantage is pretty marginal if you deploy appropriately. More bodies is just better, especially in today’s day and age of horde meta.

Plus for Gitz in particular, they could want to take like 1000 points of heroes easy. Not many points left over for Battalion shenanigans

Is the Grot Warboss and Loonboss two different warscrolls? I just noticed they are still selling the old metal Warboss with axe despite all the other models being renamed to their new Gloomspite names. He even still has his old warscroll.

Edit: Also the Squig Herd Warscroll on the GW site lacks rules for the instrument player. How are they handled? Pretend they have spears too?

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
Had another thought about Squig Herds.

21 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

Yeah I saw the GMG YouTube video like as soon as I posted it but don’t know how to delete things. From what they said, I’d say all of the formations sound pretty eh.

I think GW just overvalues the ability to out-drop your opponent. I mean sure it’s good and all, but most of the time I feel like the advantage is pretty marginal if you deploy appropriately. More bodies is just better, especially in today’s day and age of horde meta.

Plus for Gitz in particular, they could want to take like 1000 points of heroes easy. Not many points left over for Battalion shenanigans

Actually something like the Spiderfang get +2" is a really solid option for them. It's a nice little buff, an artefact, a CP and very minimal requirements.

One thing to remember is that Gloomspite armies have a massive range of potential build options. So that battalion could actually be used for a ~500 points spiderfang detachment in a Moonclan army.

So there is a massive amount of list building complexity we haven't even begun to explore which you just wouldn't find in a more traditional allegiance.

EDIT: 

Just now, Ronga said:

Hmm so the Moonclan Skrap has 1-3 Loonboss and 0-1 Moonclan Wizard Hero. Skragrott has both the Loonboss and Monnclan Wizard Hero key words. Could you take him as the loonboss requirement and still run a fungoid shaman as well?

My interpretation is that you have four slots.

• Loonboss
  • Loonboss
  • Loonboss
  • Moonclan Wizard

As skragrott is a Loonboss and a Moonclan wizard he could go into either of the slot types. He wouldn't take 2 (He's a tiny grot not a fat Trogg!)

Edited by Malakree

4 hours ago, Caladancid said:

Do you think three units of hoppers/Bounders is the magic number? I was thinking of something similar but with two units of 12 squig herds, then less hoppers. 

For that pts level yeah 3 is the right ratio, you can roam around in a little pack and choose your engagements. With Itchy Nuisance on the target the squigs will charge and the Mangler Boss with Fight another day you can really reliable have fights where you take no damage, ad the best part is his command trait works in your enemies turn to! Can help him nab objectives or bouncy out of line of sight.

In full 2k games i would probably have 2 packs of 2 hoppers and 1 bounders, squeeze in a boogleye too for another strike last spell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

It probably doesn't sound like much, but since the Spider Riders have 10" move base and with Scuttling Terrors their minimum charge range is 12" (base) + 4" (two 1's + 2 from drummer) + 3" (min distance from enemy) and "average" adds up to 28", so a first turn charge is enough to hamstring a bunch of guys pretty badly.

I would not want to face off against a 2 units of 30, backed up by some flingers causing my army to fight last. It would be brutal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

DwJIX2FX4AEYU7d.jpg 

I actually really like the colour scheme on these trolls, any ideas how I might achieve a similar effect? I'm thinking starting from a pale base colour, either grey or white and building up thin layers of washes/ thinned paints maybe.

Looks like a wash over white to me, maybe Druchi Violet, then drybrush with pallid Wych flesh. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It starts in your chosen corner and then turn 2 you roll to see if it moves to the next segment or not, so you do get the affects turn one. If you are unlucky though it could move off the board by turn 4 earliest.

If it moves one step a turn youll have it on board for 5 turns. Corner, centre of the tile, centre of the board, centre of the tile, corner.

Key part is "The bad moon  is located at the edge of the battlefield in the corner." its still on the battlefield just at the very edge of it.

I don't think the moon affects the battlefield when it is located in the corner of the battlefield, because of this:

"The location of the Bad Moon determines which models are affected by its light. If the Bad Moon's location" is at the edge of the battlefield, its light does not affect any units"

So the Bad Moon only affects units at the centre, in the middle or the other centre. So turn 2,3 and 4.

Because of this Skargrott's ability to make the Moon move or make it stop becomes almost necessary for Gloomspite armies. 😄 

Or maybe there are also special artifacts for Gloomspite heroes to maybe stop the moon or something like that?

Edited by Infeston

36 minutes ago, Infeston said:

I don't think the moon affects the battlefield when it is located in the corner of the battlefield, because of this:

"The location of the Bad Moon determines which models are affected by its light. If the Bad Moon's location" is at the edge of the battlefield, its light does not affect any units"

So the Bad Moon only affects units at the centre, in the middle or the other centre. So turn 2,3 and 4.

Because of this Skargrott's ability to make the Moon move or make it stop becomes almost necessary for Gloomspite armies. 😄 

Or maybe there are also special artifacts for Gloomspite heroes to maybe stop the moon or something like that?

Oh i just missed that bottom part, thats kind of naf tbh.... good thing im taking squig lure as a spell so i can run and charge still! Looking through the artefacts, there isnt one that affects the moon. There are artefacts that are affected by the moon but not the other way around.

Even though i love Skargrott, i didnt plan on having him in my 2k squigmageddon list 🤔

6 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

For that pts level yeah 3 is the right ratio, you can roam around in a little pack and choose your engagements. With Itchy Nuisance on the target the squigs will charge and the Mangler Boss with Fight another day you can really reliable have fights where you take no damage, ad the best part is his command trait works in your enemies turn to! Can help him nab objectives or bouncy out of line of sight.

In full 2k games i would probably have 2 packs of 2 hoppers and 1 bounders, squeeze in a boogleye too for another strike last spell.

The only problem (I mean having more squig isn't really a problem) to having six units of bounders/hoppers is that it gets quite expensive points wise, and pretty much would freeze you out of using the Squigalanche (where in total I think you need two manglers and one loonboss on mangler in addition to the bouncers).  Unless you go minimum size for a few of those units.