AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Hi all

I'm a Sylvaneth player but i will start with Looncurse a small Squig army

Can you please help me to build my first 1k list?

-Loonboss on Mangler

General w The Clammy Cowl and Cunning Plans

-Loonboss on giant cave squig

-Fungoid Cave Shaman

squid lure

-12 squig heard

-12 squig heard

-10 Boingrot bounders

OR

-Loonboss on Mangler

-Fungoid Cave Shaman

spell?

-Madcap shaman

squid lure

-12 squig heard

-10 squig hoppers

-5 Boingrot bounders

Thank you!!!

9 minutes ago, sylvan said:

-Loonboss on Mangler

-Fungoid Cave Shaman

squid lure

-12 squig heard

-12 squig heard

-10 Boingrot bounders

This for a few simple reasons.

1) It will just cost you less. With the looncurse box you need 1 mangler, 1 fungoid and 1 squig herd box. The other list also require a madcap.

2) Boingrots are the powerhouse unit of squig lists and you get 10 in the looncurse, use them and love them.

3) At 1k you don't really need the second spell and I really hate the madcap. He's so much worse for 10 points than the fungoid it's unbelievable. It's would be like a treelord ancient costing 10 points more than a normal treelord. 

On a side note, instead of the first fungoid buy the gobbapalooza box. Boggleye on a 25mm makes a perfect madcap shaman. Spiker is a thematic replacement for a webspinner shaman and shroomancer is a great alternative fungoid model.

So you get all 3 wizard options and the gobbapalooza instead of just 1 fungoid.

• Like 2

Going for a Trog-centric list for my escalation league at 1000pts in two weeks

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90) - Lore of the Moonclans : Call da Moon
Dankhold Troggboss (300) - General - Command Trait : Loonskin  - Artefact :  Glowy Howzit  
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90) - Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork
UNITS
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

thoughts my list, I am thinking I may swap out one shaman for a webspinner and tried the Horde killing spell or both the bounders and shaman for more bodies

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

This for a few simple reasons.

1) It will just cost you less. With the looncurse box you need 1 mangler, 1 fungoid and 1 squig herd box. The other list also require a madcap.

2) Boingrots are the powerhouse unit of squig lists and you get 10 in the looncurse, use them and love them.

3) At 1k you don't really need the second spell and I really hate the madcap. He's so much worse for 10 points than the fungoid it's unbelievable. It's would be like a treelord ancient costing 10 points more than a normal treelord. 

On a side note, instead of the first fungoid buy the gobbapalooza box. Boggleye on a 25mm makes a perfect madcap shaman. Spiker is a thematic replacement for a webspinner shaman and shroomancer is a great alternative fungoid model.

So you get all 3 wizard options and the gobbapalooza instead of just 1 fungoid.

Thank you!! 

What do you think about the Colossal squig? Is a good investment or not? 

1 hour ago, sylvan said:

Thank you!! 

What do you think about the Colossal squig? Is a good investment or not? 

Yes, but I personally would go for more Squig Herds and Hoppers/Boingrots before getting the Colossal Squig unless you just really like the model.

The Colossal Squig is a really good monster in general.  I would argue that it is one of the best that Destruction has access to.  He fits right up there in the company of the Troggoth Hag, Bonegrinder Gargant, and Rogue Idol.  Those are all generally useful monsters that also have some interesting synergy.  The Colossal Squig is the cheapest of those options (by a fair margin),  but he can inflict enough damage to considered somewhat in the bracket as those choices.  The Colossal is pretty much exactly what the model advertises - a really huge cave squig and he comes with everything that entails.  He has relatively poor defense (although he does have a nice -1 to be hit in melee ability), but a large health pool.  He has above average offense and although like most big monsters he suffers reduced effectiveness as he takes wounds he will remain dangerous up until he is killed.  He also has a nice ability where when killed he spawns 5 cave squig models.  He has random movement and it degrades with damage, but early game he will average out to being fairly fast.  He also has the squig keyword which means he can benefit from any of the Squig buffs the army has.  But all that said, he is pretty much a suicidal wrecking ball you will want to crash into your enemy and certainly not a finesse piece.

But, despite giving that assessment I would still recommend someone looking to get a squig-heavy force to invest into the core units (Squig Herd/Hoppers/Boingrots) before going for too many of the big toys.  I am a big proponent of maximum sized squig herds.  If you are planning to play a squig themed force I would recommend having at least one full unit of squig herd.  Go for the colossal once you have a good selection of core units.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sylvan said:

I guess at 1k point isn't a good investment using a battallion(squig rider stampede) right? 

I would say it depends upon how many units you are taking in that battalion.  Bear in mind that it allows just a standard Mangler Squig and not the leader version with the Loonboss mounted on the Mangler.   If you have a bunch of Squig Hoppers and Boingrot units in your army, even at 1k points, then the battalion could be worth it.  It just depends on how much you feel you can spare the ~140 points that the battalion costs.

Hey all. Got into AoS (and wargaming in general) via the gloomspite release this year and have been having a blast so far. This thread's been a huge help wrapping my head around the army so far, Looncurse has pushed me to work on a hordey squig list as an alternative to my grotspam.

This has got me back to eyeballing the Sneaky Snufflers as a support unit choice. I adore the models , but just can't can't seem to work with them. Needing to freeze in the movement phase to get their buff off makes it very difficult to plan ahead for them. It feels like they can only really get one good buff in before they're either bursted off the board or are left behind by the rest of the army. All this makes it really hard to bring them when I could just grab 5 more squigs.

Has anyone had success using the Snufflers as more than just a once a game buff/ rear objective goalkeep?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, soak314 said:

Hey all. Got into AoS (and wargaming in general) via the gloomspite release this year and have been having a blast so far. This thread's been a huge help wrapping my head around the army so far, Looncurse has pushed me to work on a hordey squig list as an alternative to my grotspam.

This has got me back to eyeballing the Sneaky Snufflers as a support unit choice. I adore the models , but just can't can't seem to work with them. Needing to freeze in the movement phase to get their buff off makes it very difficult to plan ahead for them. It feels like they can only really get one good buff in before they're either bursted off the board or are left behind by the rest of the army. All this makes it really hard to bring them when I could just grab 5 more squigs.

Has anyone had success using the Snufflers as more than just a once a game buff/ rear objective goalkeep?

I haven't used them, but have you tried "Hand of gork"ing them into position?

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I haven't used them, but have you tried "Hand of gork"ing them into position? 

I haven't! But I'm sure in my meta people would argue against it. Unit isn't allowed to move, so now at the start of the movement phase it can't 'sacrifice' its move to do the ability. I'd love to be wrong about this tho!

If someone did let me do it, I'd be unlikely to sacrifice a cast of hand of gork onto the snufflers, since hand of gork is a red hot spell nobody likes to see go off and people will ALWAYS save a dispel for it! I've found I'm more likely to NOT get HoG off, so I'm probably gonna cast it on a considerable flanking move instead of onto reposition on a support unit.

I need to make a 750 pts list and i'm hesitating between two 

First 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 750 / 750
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 60

Second 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Units
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 740 / 750
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 56

What is a good deathmatch 500 point army?

I played 2 games against sylvaneth and got smahed both times.
First game I used:         Loonboss + 40 pokin spears + 5 loonsmasha fanatics.
Second games I used: Fungoid shaman + 60 grots + scuttletide.

Suggestions? I have most of the range of models to work with.

Edited by GlitzFan

8 hours ago, soak314 said:

I haven't! But I'm sure in my meta people would argue against it. Unit isn't allowed to move, so now at the start of the movement phase it can't 'sacrifice' its move to do the ability. I'd love to be wrong about this tho!

If someone did let me do it, I'd be unlikely to sacrifice a cast of hand of gork onto the snufflers, since hand of gork is a red hot spell nobody likes to see go off and people will ALWAYS save a dispel for it! I've found I'm more likely to NOT get HoG off, so I'm probably gonna cast it on a considerable flanking move instead of onto reposition on a support unit.

It's legal.

The rule states "At the start of the movement phase, you may say that this unit is harvesting looncap mushrooms."

That is the only qualifier on the ability. Everything which comes afterwards is a result of activating the ability NOT a requirement.

So yes you can.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Need some Colossal Squig help chaps, is the only point of contact between base and model that one foot? Did you all use the two part epoxy stuff to glue it down? Cheers!!

Super glue should be fine.  There is a very large contact area there.  If you feel the need for extra hold then rough up the bottom of the connection with sand paper or simply score it in a hash-pattern with a knife.  That will easily create a very strong connection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

1 rockgut or 5 squig herd for skirmish?

I'd do 5 squigs myself.  They amount to far more wounds and can spread attacks out a lot more since they should all operate independently in the skirmish rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

What is a good deathmatch 500 point army?

I played 2 games against sylvaneth and got smahed both times.
First game I used:         Loonboss + 40 pokin spears + 5 loonsmasha fanatics.
Second games I used: Fungoid shaman + 60 grots + scuttletide.

Suggestions? I have most of the range of models to work with.

What were the issues that caused you to lose?

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I'd do 5 squigs myself.  They amount to far more wounds and can spread attacks out a lot more since they should all operate independently in the skirmish rules.

Wouldn't the 6+ save come back to haunt you on bravery tests?  Assuming they try to pick off the squigs before attacking the bounders.

1 hour ago, Injuryprone said:

Wouldn't the 6+ save come back to haunt you on bravery tests?  Assuming they try to pick off the squigs before attacking the bounders.

You get 2 wounds per squig and I believe that in the skirmish rules the models still fight individually - so they should be more resilient than you might think.  However, it has been a while since I played a skirmish game or since I read the new skirmish rules and I don't quite recall exactly how they handled battleshock.  But even then you can still eat people when cave squigs run away.

48 minutes ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

What I don't get is if an individual squig as part of a squig herd is 2 Wounds a piece then why are squig hoppers and Boingrot bounders 3 Wounds a piece? Squig + rider

Because obviously a grot does not really count for much compared to a squig!

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

What were the issues that caused you to lose?

We realises that he rolled 40 dice with MW on  4+ for my unit rather than 3 dice (for his kurnith  hunters trample). 

We interpreted the rule as roll for each enemy model in the unit. But the rule is to role for each model in (his) unit. 

So it was an invalid  game! 

Edited by GlitzFan