So help correct terrible mistakes I might have made... but is this a legal list?

Knight Incantor - 140

Spellweaver - 100

Spellweaver - 100

Gunmaster - 80

Freeguild Handgunners x30 - 300

Freeguild Militia x10 - 80

Freeguild Militia x10 - 80

Sisters of the Watch x10 - 180

Irondrakes x10 - 180

Cannon - 160

Cannon - 160

Steam Tank - 260

Everblaze Comet - 100

Total - 1920 Points

More importantly, does the Steam Tank benefit from the Grey Water ability?  They are in the 'Warmachine' section as well.  Also, do I have any glaring problems in the list?  I think the Soul Snare Shackles will also be important.   I have x2 Spellweavers for the auto-unbinds and healing for the Sisters of the Watch.  Add in the Stormcast wizard and I can auto-unbind three spells a game to protect me from particularly nasty Endless Spells like shutting down Arkhan's spell portals, or deciding I don't want to play 50-50 against Hand of Dust, or keeping an opposing Everblaze Comet from landing on my formation if the enemy rolls high on the casting.  Gun Master is an Engineer so he helps the warmachines by standing around nearby if I have that right.

Handgunners make the center core of the formation with Militia playing front line chaff, and Irondrakes and Sisters of the Watch adding representatives from the other two races in the form of 'elite' shooting.  Likewise intermingling the Sisters of the Watch in amid the Militia will let me potentially 'Stand and Shoot' into whatever charges, plus forcing the enemy to split their melee between the Militia and the Sisters will make it more likely Sisters will survive to be revived by the Spellweavers.

• Like 3

@Nevar

Cool list. The Steam Tank has the War Machine keyword and does indeed qualify for Greywater Fastness's Punishing Bombardment battletrait.

I'd worry about a lack of speedy units to grab objectives in most matched play battleplans in your list. Maybe ditch the Irondrakes or the Sisters and one Spellweaver for a few cheap, fast units like Aetherwings, Gryph-Hounds or Gyrocopters, and maybe a high move hero like a Knight-Azyros. Play a few games and see what you feel the list is missing. :) 

10 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I find Anvilgard fascinating. Is it better to try to swarm the entire board with bodies to pressure the enemy into the corner or should it mostly be a traditional list with the added benefit of a possible forced retreat rule for the enemy?

Despite collecting Anvilgard for a while now I've only just started using the Implacable March rule in my games - by which I mean I've used it once, in a 1000 pt game against Bretonnia. My list was low model count and not at all geared towards making the most out of the ability. IIRC I only got to make the Implacable March roll two or three times - none of which were successful. So I think if you're going for a traditional or balanced list then you very much have to treat it as a bonus if it happens.

As I build up to 2000 pts I'm very much looking to build my army around Implacable March. I currently have 40 flagellants on my hobby station for this very reason, plus a few other ideas involving flyers and endless spells that will further restrict and channel my opponent's movement.

And belatedly, here are some pics of my models as requested by @JackStreicher (sorry for leaving you hanging!). I don't yet have a decent picture of the whole army unfortunately, these are just a few bits. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Ordinator Combined.png

Anvilgard Irondrakes 1.jpg

IMG_20180206_135820973.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

18 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

What are you using the warpriest miniature as?  I'm saddened by the lack of devoted of sigmar in any of the free cities, but perhaps my priest will just stand in as something else.

You can take Devoted of Sigmar in Hammerhal and Anvilgard armies. I'm using him as what he is - a Warpriest! I think he's great. D3 healing on friendly Order units, can inflict mortal wounds and can dispel. That's a useful and versatile little toolbox.

20 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

You can take Devoted of Sigmar in Hammerhal and Anvilgard armies. I'm using him as what he is - a Warpriest! I think he's great. D3 healing on friendly Order units, can inflict mortal wounds and can dispel. That's a useful and versatile little toolbox.

Don't forget that his Gryph-Hound is now a free summon in the new edition, making him a bargain at only 80 points. :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Don't forget that his Gryph-Hound is now a free summon in the new edition, making him a bargain at only 80 points. :D 

Ah, I was wondering about that! I'll have to get the little guy painted up.

56 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I have no idea how I missed that.  I just read it to double check before I posted my question and somehow just didn't see it.  And it's in two of them ! :D  Skaven must have done something to my brain.

Edited by Nin Win

No better place on the forum to put him as he's a pretty Free City-ish model, here's the Realm Walker for Warhammer Achievements that I spent a couple of hours cobbling together out of spare stuff this afternoon:

iv7kaZD.jpg

Spoiler

ARf8M7u.jpg

ryl9Yqg.jpg

9D0IOKr.jpg

Realm Walkers are a custom warscroll broadly described in the event pack as Azyrian explorer/cartographer types armed with magic staffs. I think this guy meets the requirements and largely matches the theme of my army (he'll likely end up as a Cogsmith or Runelord after the event). Missing are the Celestant-Prime's Cometstrike Sceptre as the top of his staff (if anyone's got one spare, PM me :D) and a greenstuffed Chaos Warrior-Style furry mound topping his cloak.

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 9

Also has anyone thought about Hallowheart much? Seems awesome with Archmages (-2 to dispel, enough to make runelords jealous). And endless spells help the somewhat weak offensive options for archmages. Though its weird that Hallowheart has a good chunk of "high elves" but missing swifthawk agents and lion rangers.

I noticed something interesting in the most recent FAQ for the General’s Handbook;

If you pick an allegience with existing allegience abilities (Stormcast for example) then you cannot choose to use the Grand Alliance abilities instead of that faction’s bespoke abilities.

For Free City armies this means you can’t just use a pure Stormcast army and pick Order allegience to benefit from a Free City. 

Makes sense I suppose, as the Free Cities are supposed to represent a cross section of different Order factions coming together.

19 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

I noticed something interesting in the most recent FAQ for the General’s Handbook;

If you pick an allegience with existing allegience abilities (Stormcast for example) then you cannot choose to use the Grand Alliance abilities instead of that faction’s bespoke abilities.

For Free City armies this means you can’t just use a pure Stormcast army and pick Order allegience to benefit from a Free City. 

Makes sense I suppose, as the Free Cities are supposed to represent a cross section of different Order factions coming together.

You can build a stormcast list for Order allegiance, which means not taking any battleline-if.  So to take pure stormcast, you will just need 3x 5 liberators to meet your battleline requirements.

• Like 1

That states faction army.  When building an army you choose faction first, so Order Draconis, this gives you options open to them when building the army (battleline-if) and means you must use their allegiance abilities if they exists, if it doesnt you can use GA allegiance.  If you pick GA as your faction you have specific options when building the army (no battleline-if).

This rule is designed to stop things like Ironjawz lists picking destruction instead of Ironjawz, so getting the benefit of battleline-if options and then choosing different allegiance abilities.

I get what you're saying, but (as far as I read it) you must use the faction specific Allegiance and abilities if your army would be applicable to do so.

If I took only STORMCAST ETERNAL units (except Allies), I would have to pick Stormcast as the Allegiance as it exists as it's own faction Allegiance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

I get what you're saying, but (as far as I read it) you must use the faction specific Allegiance and abilities if your army would be applicable to do so.

If I took only STORMCAST ETERNAL units (except Allies), I would have to pick Stormcast as the Allegiance as it exists as it's own faction Allegiance.

The core rules state an army can have allegiance to a Faction if they all have the keyword, that means you dont have to be a Faction if you want to be GA Order, as long as you dont take any battleline-if as battleline. The Allegiance abilities quoted above is for the GHB, states you must take them if allegiance abilities exist for a faction army.  If you have not chosen to build a faction army then the rule does not apply IMO. 

14 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

No as units != army and allegiance != allegiance abilities. You can still make an order army with just stormcast eternals units but you have to use order battlelines. This way you are an order allegiance(army) and can take order allegiance abilities. Just in case you choose SCE allegiance and take say Judicators as battleline then you have to also take the SCE allegiance abilities which is what was FAQed in this case.

• Thanks 1

I understand that matched play is thought of as the easiest means of getting on the same page with strangers, but the more restrictions like this, especially ones that are not immediately obvious, the less chance people really will be on the same page.  Locals already are talking about how if you have a specific keyword across your units you must now take their allegiance abilities.  Others take a position like Trayanee's where you only have to do that if you take the more specific option as your army.  Perhaps to unlike "battleline if" units or whatever.

It would be hilarious if a tournament organizer was like "sorry, grand alliance order player, but since you have a bunch of order units and no seraphon and you must take the more specific ability when it's available, you are now from Hammerhal.  Did you bring the copy of the Firestorm booklet you need to have to play at this event?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nin Win said:

It would be hilarious if a tournament organizer was like "sorry, grand alliance order player, but since you have a bunch of order units and no seraphon and you must take the more specific ability when it's available, you are now from Hammerhal.  Did you bring the copy of the Firestorm booklet you need to have to play at this event?"

I actually do wonder just how many events people use Grand Allegiances that are perfectly able to be Firestorm Allegiances (mostly Order and Destruction for obvious reasons) but don't use the extra rules simply because they forget that Firestorm exists!

• Like 2

I imagine it's quite a few.

I get that they were trying to sell a board game type experience and experimenting with legacy board game type elements like removable stickers, but I think the rules not being available separately except a a portion of them in a preview warhammer community article or two was a mistake.  I don't even know if it's in the subscription for the Azyr/App thing.

Withe the amount that free cities have been featuring in the Malign Portents stories as well as the Soul Wars novels and background fiction (Glymmsforge is totally the feature of the new set) it's sort of a missed opportunity to get the idea of doing Free Cities armies in people's heads.

• Like 1