AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

18 minutes ago, Charlo said:

I love the idea of the centaurs but when wild riders exist they almost feel, redundant??

Classic greek centaurs were famed archers, so they could fulfil the role of long range missile cavalry. If we got a mounted hero, an all cav army would be possible.

• Like 3

I'm pretty stoked for new Wanderers, albeit these are for Underworlds. It might give us a glimpse of what's to come, or maybe not? Either way I'll be happy to have our powerful shooting phase and basic theme continue, anything else added to the range will be a bonus. 

5 hours ago, Aelfric said:

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made to which warscrolls in the Cities battletome.

Also be interesting to see how much change there  is in city allegiance rules compared to Firestorm.

I'm guessing a good amount of change. Some are laughably bad...

I have lots of old waywatcher models. Has anyone got a video or link on how to convert them into sisters of the watch? As I like the old models

Also have lots of wardancers. Can they be converted to anything? 

3 hours ago, Poddy said:

I have lots of old waywatcher models. Has anyone got a video or link on how to convert them into sisters of the watch? As I like the old models

The main thing that stands out for SotW are their magical flaming bows.  Add some flame effect to the bows and they'd be instantly identifiable as SotW.   I don't know any specific site, but if you type in sculpting flames with greenstuff, several videos come up.  Hope that's helpful.  If you find a good one, or work out a good method yourself, can you let us know as I suspect we may be needing to reassign our Glade Guard.  I, for one, wouldn't mind turning my 30 into SotW if they are discontinued.

9 minutes ago, carnith said:

So Gladeguard are Sold Out and No Longer Available on the US GW site. So is this them dying off? Cause its the same for White Lions. 

They were already repackaged for AoS, so most likely.

OTOH, this happened a few months ago and they came back.  Either way I don't think they have much of a future, archers are an easy enough unit to replace and they're out of scale with the rest of the range.

35 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

So I wanted to get started with Aos, and The Wanderers really caught my eye. But perhaps it's not a good idea to start collecting them before we know more about the outcome of the new Cities Battletome? 

Yeah if you've got nothing yet then it would be wise to wait. Usually when they announce these things they're out in 3 months so you wouldn't have long to wait

On 7/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, Aelfric said:

I've just had a thought.  If we are getting centaurs, are they Wanderer souls that escaped from Slaanesh and, if so, which God was involved? Has Kurnoth been stealing souls from under the nose of the other four?  It's unlikey to be Alarielle, given her grievances.  I would love it to be Lileath's daughter, aided by Araloth, in some revelatory new lore, but that's just wishful thinking.

that would mean the superior version of human super soldiers, you know GRAIL KNIGHTS!!!! for ze lady (fyi a bretonian-wanderer join faction would be super cool in my opinion)

as for centaur aelves, definately converting those into aelves riding eagle-deers [gryphelope?](with the help of gryph hound heads)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexispolux said:

Yeah if you've got nothing yet then it would be wise to wait. Usually when they announce these things they're out in 3 months so you wouldn't have long to wait

Yeah, that was the feeling I got. Okay, well that sounds good enough. Though I'm eager to start with something. Is there any faction that is not wrong, per say, to have in your collection? Sylvaneth looks interesting aswell. 

Thanks for quick response! 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, Nick907 said:

Some people think that the meta shifting may have just made Wanderers into a competitive force. 

Just listened to Facehammer's podcast on Sylvaneth and they talked about shooting being good vs FEC and Slaanesh.  I wonder if you'll see a surprise sleeper hit with a tournament (probably Aus,.. weird Wood Elf tournament wins tend to come from there) where Wanderers win or place higher than expected solely from being strong anti-meta.  I gather woods will probably be all but dead now?  so no LoS blocking terrain really.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:40 AM, Tankman said:

So what's everyone's thoughts on the Free Cities announcement?

I like that those Cities will continue to exist with some support.  Couple with drastically cheaper battalions from Sylvaneth a classic Wood Elf army isn't too difficult to build granted,.. you will loose Winterleaf's exploding 6s but we'll see.  I'm keen to see the book.  It will also bring shooting back more (anti-FEC).

On 7/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, Alexispolux said:

I expect centigor models they readded them into the beasts of chaos book but they have the old models still

If you were around long ago Hastings mentioned on Warseer seeing Centigors.  When I privately asked him about this he said back in mid 8th ish they had larger Centigor CADs done but I assume the files were never printed.  I have always wanted to see those sculpts but they also would be more,.. like a cross between bull centaurs and chaos knights.  Less a smaller fast cav like unit.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:41 PM, Aelfric said:

The Glade Guard, I reckon, are going as they're an old sculpt.  No mention of Swifthawks, so it is possible that Shadow Warriors will replace them, gaining the Wanderers keyword, making the dual kit factional, and avoiding the need to make a replacement sculpt.

I 100% agree with GG going away.  I think Dryads survived from a weird legacy crutch but will probably be gone from Sylvaneth when that army is redone in another 4-5 years.  2005 Era sculpts just don't hold up, legacy 6th ed boxes sold in multiples of 4,.. aesthetic that doesn't fit.  I would honestly love Swifthawk to be merged into Wanderer.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Raffonerd said:

I ve added the SoT

check this out

Wanderers.pdf 5.54 kB · 23 downloads

Dont' post your list in pdf form.  Just the bare bones text.  

On 7/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, Poddy said:

Unless you have a really strict tournament regulation don't worry about converting.  I just use my Waywatchers as Sisters of the Watch and tell my opponent before hand.  You can use Wardancers as Rangers.  

14 hours ago, carnith said:

So Gladeguard are Sold Out and No Longer Available on the US GW site. So is this them dying off? Cause its the same for White Lions. 

While I support the death knell of GG, for 2-3 years we have seen random kits sold out and no longer available and they always come back.  GG themselves have done this twice.  GW is trying to juggle global stock.  Don't think anything more than "oh,.. not available now" and if you do want some?  click the "Email me when available" as if there is interest GW will make more.  Pretty sure Bestigors have also been sold out twice and look at them now.  Required in both BoC and Slaanesh :P

I wouldn't mind new GG sculpts, but we have to have a basic archer unit that outperforms other basic archer units. Arcane Bodkins are a great ability, but smaller units with better to hit or range would be an improvement. I agree the GG models are old, I kit bashed all 80+ of my Glade Guard.

5 hours ago, Nick907 said:

I wouldn't mind new GG sculpts, but we have to have a basic archer unit that outperforms other basic archer units. Arcane Bodkins are a great ability, but smaller units with better to hit or range would be an improvement. I agree the GG models are old, I kit bashed all 80+ of my Glade Guard.

Are you saying the models will be replaced but the unit (glade guard) still available to play with? I painted 30 of these and it was paintful. Also, they are one of only two battleline units. If wanderers lose GG or WW/WF, I'll be devastated. 

• Thanks 2

I just hope they announce which Order Units will go very soon because currently you can't really buy anything aelves, human or disposessed related. I'll paint up my remaining 5 wild riders and then just wait and paint some Sylvaneth until we know more.

Even thought the Glade Guard kit/sculpts are really old, I can't really imagine the unit leaving AoS. It is THE (wood) elf archer type unit. I'd rather see Sisters of the Watch go. They just don't fit into the wood elf wanderers theme in my opinion. Giving them the hooded heads from Glade Guards made it better, but still...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martinwolf said:

I just hope they announce which Order Units will go very soon because currently you can't really buy anything aelves, human or disposessed related. I'll paint up my remaining 5 wild riders and then just wait and paint some Sylvaneth until we know more.

Even thought the Glade Guard kit/sculpts are really old, I can't really imagine the unit leaving AoS. It is THE (wood) elf archer type unit. I'd rather see Sisters of the Watch go. They just don't fit into the wood elf wanderers theme in my opinion. Giving them the hooded heads from Glade Guards made it better, but still...

Imho they suit better then glade guard, just comparing to the newer plastics (eternal guard, wild wood rangers, wild riders, sisters of the thorn, nomad prince) they mix pretty well

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, adreal said:

Imho they suit better then glade guard, just comparing to the newer plastics (eternal guard, wild wood rangers, wild riders, sisters of the thorn, nomad prince) they mix pretty well

How the heck do SoTW look more like wood elves than glade guard?? SoTW look closer to regal high-elves with their hair and crowns.

Glade Guard do not seem out of place to me at all... They're more like the defining characteristic, along with things like wild riders.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2