AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

O is lacking the 500-600p for stuff without me being able to sufficiently have point 1. covered.. 

Agreed, theirs not a ton of wriggle room once you get the necessities. 

10 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

But I got a list thats really close and I havent lost so far. Seems to be pretty solid and thats actually what I was looking for - won‘t probably win any trophies though. 

Gimme dat list lol. I've probably played around 8-10 games with Ko so far, trying all the sky ports out. Barak thyrng is really fun, but like you mention above, by the time i take what i really need, the points i have left are not ideal, even more so with the 1 in 4 which means your bringing quite a few units to unlock Duardin. Ive probably got a 50/50 win rate against all kinds of armies including Gitz/Deepkin/ BoK/ OBR . Im in a lucky position where my play group has like every army and we all play at least once or twice a week. So ive been trying some stuff out. WLV spell in a bottle seems pretty awesome, but if it gets dispelled ( like it did in my game) it feels like a waste. 

14 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Edit: silver lining though - GHB can buff KO so easily by reducing points. Our basic mechanics are strong!

100%. I think the ironclad is WAY to pricey. Look at katakros and tell me hes worth less than the ironclad.   I think thunderers should go down too. im pretty happy with balloon prices, but i wouldnt hate to see them go down lol. Admiral should also go down, they wanted him to be better than he is, and hes just not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

1. Gimme dat list lol.

2. 100%. I think the ironclad is WAY to pricey. Look at katakros and tell me hes worth less than the ironclad.   I think thunderers should go down too. im pretty happy with balloon prices, but i wouldnt hate to see them go down lol. Admiral should also go down, they wanted him to be better than he is, and hes just not. 

1. The List: 

Barak Nar: 

Brokk Grungsson 240

- He actually deals pretty reliable damage for his points and I love the model. +10 Thunderers would be more competitive though, I just don‘t want to leave him for now. 

Endrinmaster w Suit 220

- General

- Aethercharged

Aether-Khemist 90

- Spell (Comet*) 

Navigator 100

- Perfect against those big bad flying monsters that would otherwise countercharge

10 Arkanauts 90

- early screening / objective grabbing / being annoying

10 Thunderers 240

3 Riggers 100

Gunhauler 150

- Cannon, Torpedo (does D6 mws can suicide bomb a wounded keytarget) 

Ironclad 510

- cannon, last word (again, probably 20 thunderers and buoyancy aid would be more competitive) 

Iron Sky 130

- Never take Battleshock, but srsly its more for being 3 drops AND the artifacts

Comet 100

The best thing is you can play in every phase of the game. 

You can unbind, dispel and even cast one of the best damage spells in the game! 

*First I thought the comet is a waste but he is GOLD, by Grungnis love! 

Think like that: 100 pts of Riggers will deal about 1 damage each shooting phase depending on loadout and enemy save. 

100 points of comet will instantly deal about ~15-30 MWs when hitting the whole enemy line turn 1. AND the most important thing: Soften up those synergy bearers. Its kind of hard sometimes to kill those 5-6 wound Heroes off quickly enough. Not if they are already down to 2-4 wounds. The cherry: You can watch the outcome first and then plan your priority accordingly. 

And remember: There are armies that cant dispel! 

(A+) 

2. True, though the Ironclad is literally (lul) carrying the game for me. If it was too cheap I think people would lose their mind even more! But I wouldnt complain if it dropped at least 20-40pts. 

The Admiral is a real bummer though in the aftermath. I LOVE this model but I cant think of him being worthwile, less so when playing Barak-Nar. But I love Brokk and the new Endrinmaster too, so I got over it haha. 

Hope this helps fellow Admiral! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

This had better be a thing and it has to happen. Please post pictures once this happens, this is gonna be great.

It will take a long time though. I have managed some 5 Arkanauts, 1 Gunhauler and Thundrik's Profiteers by now. Since december. I also have a Sacristan forge and Blood Bowl stuff for the dockside dive bar that has not even left the sprue.

I need to buy a bit of Warhammer stuff to make it feel right, which will probably be a Gyrocopter (in Greywater set, my gyrocopters themselves will not be from that set) and design the balloon, as well as Beatle Kharadron.

Maybe late this summer?

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Another couple of notes on the whole Barak-Thryng debate. The amendment states that "any DUARDIN" unit can be included in the army. Per the latest battletome, the only allies we can bring must have the keyword Stormcast Eternals, Fyreslayers, Dispossessed or Ironweld Arsenal. And there are plenty of Duardin units without any of those keywords, including Gotrek. It doesn't state that the Duardin keyword gets added to our available ally list, or that they get to be included despite not being on the ally list. It also doesn't state that any allies we add that are Duardin get the Barak-Thryng keyword. All of this lends to the idea that Duardin units added to our army via the amendment are not considered allies.

And one last thing to note. The Core Rules as shown before? State 1 out of 4 units. No points mentioned at all. So if we're going my that and the amendment does count as allies, the 200 ally pts per 1000 army points rule doesn't exist at all. So points don't matter, only unit count. (Though if true that does mean my 'cheat' to get around the 1:4 amendment limit by adding in extra by using ally points would be illegal but eh it felt like cheating anyway)

24 minutes ago, Kramig said:

Hello! I am starting kharadron and I am assembling 15 skywardens/endriggers. Can you please give me suggestions about which is better assembly: endriggers or skywardens? Also which weapons? 

Thank you so much :)

So it goes like this: Sky wardens are good when your taking Zon, however endrinriggers are better in essentially almost every way. I prefer sky wardens because aesthetics, but the riggers have better melee, a longer ranged shooting, and can repair ships so you can help them stay alive and cluster around some heavy firepower. In terms of weapons, drills are always great, they can dish out some much needed mortals, and they have great range. Skyhooks should be used when you want to charge, which is not often, unless your running Zon wardens, and then the grappling hook isn't terrible, it's nice sometimes but there are better options. The volley gun should be for range, and remember the riggers with special weapons can still make repair rolls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kramig said:

Hello! I am starting kharadron and I am assembling 15 skywardens/endriggers. Can you please give me suggestions about which is better assembly: endriggers or skywardens? Also which weapons? 

Thank you so much :)

To add to what @Sttufe said, it also depends on what you want to use them for.

Riggers are there to support your boats with ranged fire, healing, or being a melee screen. They basically want to be stuck to your boats like lamprey on a shark. Can't go wrong with 3-6 riggers assigned to a skyvessel.

Wardens are best in a Zon list due to the specific buffs they get, and in general are better equipped to go off and intercept other enemies. They have a longer melee reach with more attacks (though less hit chance and rend), can potentially deal mortal wounds to flying enemies that charge, and can deal mortal wounds to units when retreating. Have them float behind a squad of Arkanauts and lay in the pain.

I'd suggest 6 Riggers with special weapons to start with though. Maybe a 3 dorf squad of Skywardens in addition if you wanted to experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just noticed something interesting. The Gun Butt of Grundstok Thunderers has the same exact weapon profile as the Cutters in an Arkanauts Company. And the Drillbill is similarish to a Skypike. So, not counting for unit abilities, 10 Thunderers could match 10 Arkanauts in melee prowess. ....which is still nothing to write home about, but makes Thunderers as a battleline more inviting. Aside from the cost anyway.

• Like 1

A fellow newbie with a question. I'm looking for some advice on how to use Arkanauts. They're.....weird compared to other battleline I've used in armies. Do they need or want a transport and are they useful fighting inside a ship, can I just run them on foot? I understand they're our cheap source of bodies, I guess the pistols throw me off a bit.

2 minutes ago, Nightgaunt said:

A fellow newbie with a question. I'm looking for some advice on how to use Arkanauts. They're.....weird compared to other battleline I've used in armies. Do they need or want a transport and are they useful fighting inside a ship, can I just run them on foot? I understand they're our cheap source of bodies, I guess the pistols throw me off a bit.

Never hurts to throw them in a ship, they are pretty slow on foot. Honestly it depends on whether you have the space on your transports to put them in. If you can, they can grab objectives real quick, although they don't have much staying power. They are mostly for sitting on objectives as models, and although they can provide some power with frigates, they are mostly just warm bodies with a slightly ranged attack.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, cofaxest said:

I use this list

Mainbody - 5 thunderers(fumigator+rifles), Thundrick, Navigator, Frigate

Spearhead - Gunhauler(with 5man garrison), Alchemist(general with +1 tohit artefact), 4 thundrick guys

Rearguard - Gunhauler(with mw on a charge)

Sorry for resurrecting this older post, but I've been reading through this thread and liked the idea of this list. I was just confused why you don't make thundrik the general and put him with the profiteers, for the buff he gives them. Leaving the generic khemist in the main body? (I assume alchemist is the aether khemist?)

Is it a restriction I'm not aware of (very new to aos and kharadron)

Cheers!

Yanno what, I'm tempted to kitbash some Thunderers and give them all the Skypike bits I have left over from my 9 sawriggers and have them count as something else. Maybe the Hearthguard Berserkers or something. (Then I could get a cheaper KO hero to count as the Runesmiter so I don't need to buy a whole magmadroth)

Btw sorry if I'm super talkative today. I was out of my meds for like 4 days straight and now that I'm back on them I'm full of vim and vigor. Relatively speaking at least.

8 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Yanno what, I'm tempted to kitbash some Thunderers and give them all the Skypike bits I have left over from my 9 sawriggers and have them count as something else. Maybe the Hearthguard Berserkers or something. (Then I could get a cheaper KO hero to count as the Runesmiter so I don't need to buy a whole magmadroth)

Btw sorry if I'm super talkative today. I was out of my meds for like 4 days straight and now that I'm back on them I'm full of vim and vigor. Relatively speaking at least.

oh man that would be cool. Kitbash the sergeant with a hammer so it's 5 skypikes and a hammer, and have the ultimate unit of Kharadron Melee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavionStar said:

I think they dont match the 5+ Save of HGB very well with that Thunderers armor, how about playing them as Hammerers? You could convert a Warden King count as and call them „Grundstok Bounty Hunters“ or sth like that and the CA of the warden king (+1 attack) „marks“ the target. That would be more fitting imo. 

Edit; I totally forgot that Hammerers stand on 25mm bases though... Yeah so maybe HGB are technically more fitting... 

What would be cool if you could somehow „show on the model“ that they have a 5+ Save because they are more offensive oriented but their „Scientist Boss“ (aka Runesmiter that absolutely doesnt pray but gives them Aethersteroids (tm) for rr wounds) has  a kind of „energy field“ thats why they get the boosted 4++ when within 10“. 

Without him its 6++ bc baby energy field. 

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I think they dont match the 5+ Save of HGB very well with that Thunderers armor, how about playing them as Hammerers? You could convert a Warden King count as and call them „Grundstok Bounty Hunters“ or sth like that and the CA of the warden king (+1 attack) „marks“ the target. That would be more fitting imo. 

Edit; I totally forgot that Hammerers stand on 25mm bases though... Yeah so maybe HGB are technically more fitting... 

What would be cool if you could somehow „show on the model“ that they have a 5+ Save because they are more offensive oriented but their „Scientist Boss“ (aka Runesmiter that absolutely doesnt pray but gives them Aethersteroids (tm) for rr wounds) has  a kind of „energy field“ thats why they get the boosted 4++ when within 10“. 

Without him its 6++ bc baby energy field. 

I was thinking about Hammerers as an option too. I mean, the Thunderers models aren't that big. I could order some 25mm bases and just glue them to those. They'd probably fit. I just wish there was a unit with 4+ save and 2 wounds. XD

Maybe for the HGB I could give them bare arms and no helms or something to make them look like they have a worse save or something. 😜

5 hours ago, DavionStar said:

I was thinking about Hammerers as an option too. I mean, the Thunderers models aren't that big. I could order some 25mm bases and just glue them to those. They'd probably fit. I just wish there was a unit with 4+ save and 2 wounds. XD

Maybe for the HGB I could give them bare arms and no helms or something to make them look like they have a worse save or something. 😜

yeah a base change wouldn't be to hard, as the thunderers aren't too massive, honestly they're bases are a bit oversized.

Edit: I also though about the fact that the skypike are only one arm, so what's gonna go on the other arm? The hammerers seem pretty solid in terms of similarieties and converting bases shouldn't be too hard, but they have 2 handed hammers, and converting the skypikes to 2 handed weapons will be a pain. Also alternate name is Arkanaut/Grundstok Marines.

Edited by Sttufe

1 minute ago, Tooooon said:

Alright bois - Bit out of the loop these days and thought I'd see how Overlords were looking

Whats the general auto includes in a 2k list? Do we have some go to lists people are gravitating towards? (No pun intended)

Honestly, the ironclad and the thunderers are really great, they're mostly an auto-include unless your running an unconventional list (read: for fun) but other than that we have so many conditional battleline now that even arkanauts aren't a must. You can build with frigates, or an ironclad, or riggers, skywardens are useful now, grapples aren't super good, and the gunhauler is still a solid choice. The endless spell options are kinda cool, and for horde clearance a unit of 3 gyrocopters are 10/10, can eliminate an entire horde of 1 wound models real fast. In terms of skyports, check 1d4chan tactics on it, very useful #Not Sponsored. Fun tactic is the ironclad of doom with 15 thunderers, a skyhook, and a ram of awesomeness. This is for fun, as although the ironclad is MUCH stronger (you aren't gonna send into critical with a sneeze), the enemy can still focus fire on it and kill it. Also you can shoot from inside ships if you didn't get that from the rest. Very varied and not really a solid auto-include.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tooooon said:

Alright bois - Bit out of the loop these days and thought I'd see how Overlords were looking

Whats the general auto includes in a 2k list? Do we have some go to lists people are gravitating towards? (No pun intended)

I‘d say there are no real auto includes at all, this army is 100% about your tactics, not your list.

That being said, @Sttufe named some things you see many people (including myself) use as they tend to get the job done. 

My personal auto include is the Ironclad 100%, but I can see people arguing against it to have more units. 

• Like 1

Most MVP play so far btw: 

Battle was in Shyish so I used „Soul Siphon“ from my General to heal up to full and deal 4 damage to the Ironclad, just to repair it afterwards for 7 wounds. 

The look on my opponents face was priceless. 

I called it „fuel transfusion“ haha 

On 3/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Cauthon said:

So how do you play as eldritch council then? You arnt grand alliance order because you can’t take anything that doesn’t have eldritch council keyword without it being an ally. 

Your faction is eldritch council in this instance, not grand alliance order  

barak thyrng can be your faction if the whole army shares the keyword, plus your allies allotment  

You’re being snarky. Tell me. How would you play a Barak thryng army outside of a KO army? You CANT. That’s the difference between a faction and a sub faction. 

@Sttufe I have found thunderers completely underwhelming. Certainly don’t feel they are worth ~25 points each. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Sttufe I have found thunderers completely underwhelming. Certainly don’t feel they are worth ~25 points each. 

Reached the same conclusion a few pages back. Expensive and just don’t get the job done when something really needs to die.

Prefer Ironclads in terms of ships as I feel it’s the only one that actually has some punch, others are too swingy for my liking. That said I still think one of each is solid and that’s what I run now. Won 1 of my first 5 games with the new book but have won my last 3 on the bounce. 

Edited by 5kaven5lave

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Reached the same conclusion a few pages back. Expensive and just don’t get the job done when something really needs to die.

Prefer Ironclads in terms of ships as I feel it’s the only one that actually has some punch, others are too swingy for my liking. That said I still think one of each is solid and that’s what I run now. Won 1 of my first 5 games with the new book but have won my last 3 on the bounce. 

I could see that, I don't have much experience with them so that makes sense. They can be nice if you have a 5 man slot in your hauler though, just kinda reinforcing it and being a much faster deployment.