AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone. I'm not new to the hobby and I played fyreslayers awhile back. Now with the new book, how do they fair out there? Is the army strong? 

Second, i would love some tip of a 1k list. What have you tried with great success on this level? I would love to hear what you more experienced players like so I have somewhere to start from and expand the army! 

Thanks! 😄

They're in a good spot right now, probably in the higher end of the competitive lineup, but not totally broken like FEC or the like.

My first 1K list was a Runefather on Mag, runesmiter, battlesmith, 10x Vulkites, 10x Hearthguard berzerkers. Worked fairly well for me. You'll have a hard time if there are a lot of objectives on the board, but that's the case even in larger games (we have short legs and few bodies to go around). I'd take a look at the battalions  and lodges and see which one you want to go for, that'll help you decide what to build your force around. In general, our big performers are the Battlesmith (always take one) and Hearthguard berzerkers (absolute beasts with a hero nearby).

In my 2K army I've been adding 15x more Hearthguard, 5-10x Aurics, a Runemaster, and a Grimwrath berzerker or two.

Edited by Mutton

My 1k is pretty much the same as above.  Magdad, smith, smiter 2x10 vulkites 1x3 skywardens (no aurics yet). 

My higher point lists mostly just double up on those things (and i'll switch out the wardens for Aurics eventually to keep my grimwraths alive, i run 2-4). My plan is to run 10 HGB to have them around without cheesing. 

Edit: I don't double up the Magdad. 

Edited by TheNotebookGM

On 6/5/2019 at 5:32 AM, Mutton said:

They're in a good spot right now, probably in the higher end of the competitive lineup, but not totally broken like FEC or the like.

My first 1K list was a Runefather on Mag, runesmiter, battlesmith, 10x Vulkites, 10x Hearthguard berzerkers. Worked fairly well for me. You'll have a hard time if there are a lot of objectives on the board, but that's the case even in larger games (we have short legs and few bodies to go around). I'd take a look at the battalions  and lodges and see which one you want to go for, that'll help you decide what to build your force around. In general, our big performers are the Battlesmith (always take one) and Hearthguard berzerkers (absolute beasts with a hero nearby).

In my 2K army I've been adding 15x more Hearthguard, 5-10x Aurics, a Runemaster, and a Grimwrath berzerker or two.

On 6/5/2019 at 8:11 AM, TheNotebookGM said:

My 1k is pretty much the same as above.  Magdad, smith, smiter 2x10 vulkites 1x3 skywardens (no aurics yet). 

My higher point lists mostly just double up on those things (and i'll switch out the wardens for Aurics eventually to keep my grimwraths alive, i run 2-4). My plan is to run 10 HGB to have them around without cheesing. 

Edit: I don't double up the Magdad. 

Ok, nice lists. Thanks! Will try something like that

Do fyreslayers work ok at 1k in your opinion? Or do they need 2k to shine? 

Appriciate the help guys! 

I would love some feedback on this list. Is it atleast somewhat competitive? If not, how would you optimize it? 

Would love to hear what people think if they played something similar.

Leaders: 

- Runefather (foot) 

- Runesmiter

- Battlesmith 

Battleline: 

- HGB (10x) ((what Weapon would you use?))

- VB (10x) ((what Weapon would you use?))

Other: 

Auric  (10x) 

1k on the nose! 💪

Or...should i just skip the Auric's to enhance the HGB up to 20? Or split into two groups of ten? 

Please share your experience! 

Edited by Kimbo

First one vs. A fellow Carcosan and his Sylvaneth in Total Commitment. I was running a Magfather, Battlesmith, Runesmiter, 2x10 pick and shield vulkites and 3 skywardens with guns and no grapnels. He was running 20 dryads, a branchwraith, a treelord ancient, and 2x5 tree revenants (or spite?). We left a pretty open board and said Carcosan really took off with the Wyldwoods. 

I made a mistake not taking my own objective right off the bat because I was worried about getting my skywardens teleported on, that one point ends up being my own end as I trail by 1.point for the rest of the battle. I take his (my) left objective early starring an amazing first turn charge by Magdaddy Amur Mauritus.

We both fought fiercely but at the end of the day my stunty legs were no match for the tricksy Sylvaneth or the 6x4 board.

Game two was against a different Carcosan and bloodthirsty Khorne Mortals. We collabed on terrain to make something fun out of local heartthrob Dan K (of Triumph top ten) hard work on terrain the last few weeks. The piece fell a couple.inches from either of our Knife to the Heart objectives.

I switched out my skywardens for 5 Hearthguard Bezerkers and dropped the unbind artifact since Khornites aren't known for their bookishness.

I popped my Smiter and 10 Vulkites on a flank since at 1k having Smitty underground hurts my hero phase. I made some charges against Khorgoraths, and we started a battle to please the blood god.

Crunchy dwarves ground down the Khornate maniacs to 3 heroes but they provided turn 3 threat and defense with some clutch demon summoning. A few lucky dice rolls later the Gyrforge Buzzards controlled both objectives, driving the Khornate menace off and claiming first salvage rights of the Stormvault.

20190610_161511.jpg

20190610_145252.jpg

20190610_153640.jpg

20190610_145245.jpg

20190610_164314.jpg

20190610_164321.jpg

20190610_151149.jpg

20190610_161009.jpg

20190610_164324.jpg

20190610_151648.jpg

20190610_161021.jpg

20190610_145215.jpg

20190610_192725.jpg

20190610_192723.jpg

20190610_182638.jpg

20190610_191007.jpg

20190610_191004.jpg

20190610_193444.jpg

20190610_191748.jpg

20190610_172846.jpg

20190610_193638.jpg

20190610_184322.jpg

20190610_191751.jpg

20190610_181826.jpg

20190610_181824.jpg

20190610_192717.jpg

20190610_172836.jpg

20190610_171244.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 9:36 AM, TheNotebookGM said:

Any of you Lords of the American Lodges have Auric Hearthguard or Magmapike bits? I've got some Battlesmiths and Grimwrath Bezerkers over here trying to recruit posse members. 

I do!  PM me if you want to discuss.  

Has anyone tried a Hermdar list with LOTL and Forge Brethren? I want the most unkillable block of Hearthguard you can possibly get, and it seems like you can make it work if you cut some corners like taking a Runefather on foot rather than Magmadroth.

100 Runefather (tyrant slayer)
120 Runemaster (general to make Auric battleline)
140 Battlesmith (nullsidian icon)
480 20x Berzerkers
140 LOTL

120 Auric
120 Auric
120 Auric
120 Runesmiter
160 Forge Brethren

260 M-Runesmiter (Smoldering Helm, reduce rend trait) 

1880/2000

The last 120 points can be spent on adding 10 more Berzerkers or Fyrewall + Flamespitter.

What do you think?

I just read fyreslayer vostarg rules in newest white dwarf and their version of warrior kinband is insane. 110p for +1 attack for vulkites wholly within 12" of runeson (melee). Lotl gives free command for the runefather every battleround (but no double pile-in hgb) and forge brethren gives runic empowerment on 2+ instead of 3+. Both are cheaper though.

Hard reed nothing,but was posted in reddit

https://m.imgur.com/a/R5OW4AY

Seems the unefather cost 300,.

Gain a feel no pain of 6 or 4( i cant read it).

Got naextra attack with the keyaxe.

If dont move then get extra 6" to the flame of the magmadroth

I cant read but some change to the weapon breaker skill.

New comand ability that i cant read also.

Seems pretty good for extra 20 points

15 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

Hard reed nothing,but was posted in reddit

https://m.imgur.com/a/R5OW4AY

Seems the unefather cost 300,.

Gain a feel no pain of 6 or 4( i cant read it).

Got naextra attack with the keyaxe.

If dont move then get extra 6" to the flame of the magmadroth

I cant read but some change to the weapon breaker skill.

New comand ability that i cant read also.

Seems pretty good for extra 20 points

it's quite easy to read if you click to zoom in.  Maybe not on a cellphone, but on a PC you can see it. 

Just started painting my new fyreslayers! Love it so far. Went for a rather unoriginal look. Atleast the beard and hair is grey/white 😉 what you think? 

Soon i will have 1k painted and ready to hit the table! 

20190616_223705.jpg

Edited by Kimbo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Aden said:

Curious, is the White Dwarf Battalion matched play legal? Last I checked I didn't see a points cost for it.

There are point values in the magazine. I am not sure if that makes it legal. They are not called "pitched battle profile"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Just started painting my new fyreslayers! Love it so far. Went for a rather unoriginal look. Atleast the beard and hair is grey/white 😉 what you think? 

Soon i will have 1k painted and ready to hit the table! 

20190616_223705.jpg

Haha I was painting some old dwarf slayer models this weekend. And I thought about the exact same thing! I think the white Mohawk on a dark/sunburned skin really works! 

( I painted everything but the hair because I wanted to use the new contrast paints for it. And while the white hair was awesome... I really wanted to play with my new paints so went with a red to yellow fade 🙈

56 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Haha I was painting some old dwarf slayer models this weekend. And I thought about the exact same thing! I think the white Mohawk on a dark/sunburned skin really works! 

( I painted everything but the hair because I wanted to use the new contrast paints for it. And while the white hair was awesome... I really wanted to play with my new paints so went with a red to yellow fade 🙈

FYI the hair and beard on my slayers is with one of the new contrast paints (apoth white) 🙌. With a Light drybrush of white on top 

28 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

FYI the hair and beard on my slayers is with one of the new contrast paints (apoth white) 🙌. With a Light drybrush of white on top 

Haha i didnt get to use that one yet as I thought I didn’t have a project for it but you prove me wrong! 

How do you find the white? I did try it on a open book just to see and it was interesting that the shading has a blue tint in the contrast. 

Edited by Kramer

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Haha i didnt get to use that one yet as I thought I didn’t have a project for it but you prove me wrong! 

How do you find the white? I did try it on a open book just to see and it was interesting that the shading has a blue tint in the contrast. 

I loved it. White is usually a hard color to use with regular shades (in my opinion). With just the contrast white on a wraith bone undercoat it turned out great. With the addition of a Light drybrush with white it did all I hoped it to do. I'm gonna use it on the entire army! 

• Like 1