AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Nos said:

Far superior to my suggestions! I bow to your deviousness 

Mine are probably better at winning, but I assume they're much worse at making friends :P 

I do like the idea of double Ballista at 1k, in fact I think that Sacrosanct list with the Sequitors is probably quite solid overall.

10 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Mine are probably better at winning, but I assume they're much worse at making friends :P 

I do like the idea of double Ballista at 1k, in fact I think that Sacrosanct list with the Sequitors is probably quite solid overall.

I *might* have used  it before actually, ahem. 

Deployed  everyone on the table at the start, shot at enemy so they had to come to me, counter charged with Celestial Vindicators Sequitors and used CP against the Hardest Unit, opponent was tabled by my turn 3.  Lost like 3 guys. Felt bad. 

Re-rolling 2 x 3+ wounding on 3’s rend-1 attacks plus extra damage for Great Maces without any need for synergy or CP’s, not much can deal with that at 1000 points. 

Edited by Nos

2 hours ago, The World Tree said:

Hey quick question, do Unique units get the Stormhost command ability. For example, does  the Celestant Prime get it?

The CA of a Stormhost specifies who can use it. In most instances it’s a General within 18” of the area/unit of effect or 6-12” for any other Hero. They must belong to the Host the CA is from to use it.

Most (I think all at present) Unique Units, by which I assume you mean specific individuals or regiments different  to their rank and file counterparts are Hammers of Sigmar, with the exception of the Celestant Prime, so would not be able to use any Stormhost abilities besides Hammers as all Stormhost CA’s specify they need to be activated by a Hero from the same Host the Ability pertains to.

Celestant Prime is not from Hammers so would fit the Hero/General requirements of the Command Ability of any Host you chose.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Requizen said:

Best 50 point unit in the game. I'm gonna start bringing my Vanguard Justicar Hurricane list and making people forget all about Gavriel Sureheart.

Not to be that guy but no it isn't and no you won't. 

Aetherwings have very limited area denial in very limited situations and drain a full CP worth of points for a  small chance of tripping up a bad deepstrike stormcast player.

The stormcast battletome is very straightforward. Take Sequitors and Evocators and things that support sequitors and evocators, sprinkle Celestar ballista for color. Everything else is either a meta specific choice or a s**ts and giggles option.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Nos said:

No you’re quite right, I went off at the deep end!  Not made a 1000 point list for a while!

In which case Swap 2 Ballistae and Heraldor for Lord Arcanum and another 5 Sequitors, I still think that’s going to be a great all-comers list.

The most outrageous OP (and legal! Ahem) 1000 points option is probably lots of Dracoths with minimal Liberator Battleline. Something like Celestial Vindicators to give them extra attacks with re-roll 1 on the charge, not much going to be left after that.

With the new battletome nerfing dracoths, they're not really very good at 1000pts anymore.

Personally, at 1000pts I wouldn't play stormcasts at all. They're one of the worst downscaling armies in the game. If you wanted to try it anyway, I would go full shooty

1× Lord Ordinator (140pts)

1x 3 Vanguard Raptors (180)

3x 5 Judicators (480pts)

2x Celestar Ballista (200pts)

14 minutes ago, Belper said:

With the new battletome nerfing dracoths, they're not really very good at 1000pts anymore.

Personally, at 1000pts I wouldn't play stormcasts at all. They're one of the worst downscaling armies in the game. If you wanted to try it anyway, I would go full shooty

1× Lord Ordinator (140pts)

1x 3 Vanguard Raptors (180)

3x 5 Judicators (480pts)

2x Celestar Ballista (200pts)

Dude it’s not advisable to come in here with zero reputation and tell people who have demonstrated over hundreds of posts that they know what they’re talking about that you know better than them.

I mean say what you want, but don’t expect anyone to listen to you if you dont listen to others.

Edited by Nos

1 hour ago, Belper said:

Aetherwings have very limited area denial in very limited situations and drain a full CP worth of points for a  small chance of tripping up a bad deepstrike stormcast player.

The stormcast battletome is very straightforward. Take Sequitors and Evocators and things that support sequitors and evocators, sprinkle Celestar ballista for color. Everything else is either a meta specific choice or a s**ts and giggles option.

Must be nice to have figured out the game to such a point that nothing matters anymore. Confidence is key, especially when you're not actually right. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Belper said:

Welcome to the thread

You have a lot to learn my dude

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Belper said:

Ok then very competitive list can and have been built through this thread and elsewhere in the community just means looking past the obvious 

Hi! I play KO and was initially thinking about allying in a couple SCE heroes but decided I actually just want a whole Stormcast army. Is this okay at 2000? I like shooty stuff and these Knight characters.

Knight Incantor

Knight Azyros

Knight Quaestor

Knight Venator

2x1 Ballistas

2x5 Vanguard Hunters

1x5 Judicators

2x5 Evocators

3x3 Vanguard Raptors with Longstrikes

23 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Hi! I play KO and was initially thinking about allying in a couple SCE heroes but decided I actually just want a whole Stormcast army. Is this okay at 2000? I like shooty stuff and these Knight characters.

Knight Incantor

Knight Azyros

Knight Quaestor

Knight Venator

2x1 Ballistas

2x5 Vanguard Hunters

1x5 Judicators

2x5 Evocators

3x3 Vanguard Raptors with Longstrikes

Only has 1 Battline, the Judicators. If you took a Lord Aquilor you could take the two hunters as Battleline as well.

If you go back a few pages you’ll see there’s a very powerful Shooting List doing the Rounds using the Anvils Stormhost.

Your list is fine but it lacks focus, it’s pretty all over the place. SC are about getting more than the sum of an army’s parts and this definitely isn’t that. But it would be fun to play with, lots going on with it!

How the heck can stormcast deal with khorne? Before the new book that just dropped my friend usually plays with a murderhost and wipes me turn 1. Now with the new book it seems like a large amount of their units just got stronger and in some cases cheaper, so I have no idea how to deal with them now.

7 minutes ago, stus67 said:

How the heck can stormcast deal with khorne? Before the new book that just dropped my friend usually plays with a murderhost and wipes me turn 1. Now with the new book it seems like a large amount of their units just got stronger and in some cases cheaper, so I have no idea how to deal with them now.

Khorne tends to be an easy match up in my experience, lots of natural advantages vs Chaos and Khorne tends to lack much in the way of usual SC counters like lots of MW, high rend or massive numbers. What are you taking that you’re dying so quick? 

30 minutes ago, stus67 said:

Same way you deal with any melee army: Aetherwings and shooting

1 hour ago, stus67 said:

Khorne has changed significantly mate, including the basic role of some units. Not even Khorne players quite know what they're doing yet.

EDIT: Trying to be more helpful: What I know so far is that, in terms of reach, Mortals players will likely use Goretide and Bloodstokers to fling Reavers or Blood Warriors across the board much like the old Bloodletter bomb. They'll buff their catapulted units with a Stoker, who now has very limited range, so you'll see this coming a mile off. Daemons players have a similar "fast" sub-faction, but not to the same extent (eg: the WoK Thirster's run-and- charge command is gone).

Skullcrushers are quite deadly on the charge in units of 6 or more, so killing the first one in 6 is a priority. They'll likely have a 2+ save in this scenario, so mortal wounds to ping that first one are ideal.

Wrathmongers have changed completely from being anti-huge monsters and characters, and are now buffing units that can fight. This is great for any Stardrake players.

Edited by Roark

2 hours ago, stus67 said:

I play both SCE and Khorne.  Khorne was mostly nerfed and a lot of things are changed.  You deal with them with shooting, and alpha striking

• Thanks 1

Before the book the usual lists I'd die to are bloodletters being flung across the table turn 1, or the bloodthirster patriot missile. I don't usually run any aetherwings in my army, but I think I might depending on how things go with this new book.

7 hours ago, stus67 said:

Dude, Khorne got nerfed! We have to wait and see what works but almost all their old buffs and stuff is gone or significantly reworked. 

Anyway You've been dying to the old Khorne so you must not have had enough shooting and magic. Since Khorne didn't get the thing it needed most, speed, invest in spells and ranged units so you can kill them before they get to you. 

1 hour ago, Wraith01 said:

Dude, Khorne got nerfed! We have to wait and see what works but almost all their old buffs and stuff is gone or significantly reworked. 

Anyway You've been dying to the old Khorne so you must not have had enough shooting and magic. Since Khorne didn't get the thing it needed most, speed, invest in spells and ranged units so you can kill them before they get to you. 

Interesting suggestion, magic. I'm playing at Throne of Skulls this weekend and came up against a Khorne player yesterday (old book). I've got 3 wizards and cogs in my list that I often slow down time with. The khorne player denied all but 1 of my spells that game

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stus67 said:

Murderhost doesn't do that anymore, and there are various changes that will make the matchup quite different. 

Ballistas, Hurricane Raptors, and Evos/Paladins are excellent at clearing hordes of 'letters. What you want to do against fast killy melee like that is create multiple lines of conflict. Sacrificing less important models (Libs, Aetherwings, Allies, even Judis) so the important stuff in your army can get more shooting or get an effective countercharge is the tactic to use. If they charge in and kill 5 Libs but you countercharge with 10 Protectors and wipe the unit, that's the ticket right there. 

9 hours ago, Karragon said:

Interesting suggestion, magic. I'm playing at Throne of Skulls this weekend and came up against a Khorne player yesterday (old book). I've got 3 wizards and cogs in my list that I often slow down time with. The khorne player denied all but 1 of my spells that game

Sometimes that's how the dice roll.