AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Anywhere you can see room to fit the castellant in? I could drop the skinks. . .

If this list gives you any ideas, I went 4-2 at the GT finals with it, and the losses were down to a lack of practice on my part and very capable opponents rather than any inherent weaknesses in the list.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

The stardrake acts as a massive distraction carnifex, but is also useful for getting off turn one charges in tandem with the heraldors tooting. Once it's in the opponents lines it's impossible to ignore as the evocators and sequitors get into position.

That's the theory anyway!

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Heraldor can help a unit move an extra d6 distance, while vexillor  give may units a chance to reroll. From my point of view, both help you get close to the enemy much faster. Hence it depends on what you need. I dont know why you want to retreat the stardrake if you have buffed it to 2+ reroll 1 save and 4+ ignoring mortal wound. 

Also, from my point of view, stardrake cannot make much damage in combat except there is a perfect chance to raise enemy's unit continuity problem. I won't expect it to do more damage in combat than the big blob of evocator. Hence I will hope the enemy to concentrate their hits on the stardrake instead of the evocator.

For the heraldor's shooting, I won't think anything about that since it is useless if there is not terrain feature near the enemy at all. I have seen tournament with very few and small terrain on the table, so it might be possible that you get no chance to do the shooting all the game.

To run it on to an objective and win the game?

Obviously you can do this with just a regular retreat, but tooted by the Heraldor it would also allow you charge any objective campers there.  Remember that in 2 missions from the new GHB objectives aren't static, so there will be situations where you need to redeploy on the fly if you want to win the game rather than just eat your opponents doods.

12 hours ago, AdamR said:

If this list gives you any ideas, I went 4-2 at the GT finals with it, and the losses were down to a lack of practice on my part and very capable opponents rather than any inherent weaknesses in the list.

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves

The stardrake acts as a massive distraction carnifex, but is also useful for getting off turn one charges in tandem with the heraldors tooting. Once it's in the opponents lines it's impossible to ignore as the evocators and sequitors get into position.

12 hours ago, AdamR said:

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves

Ignax’s scale. Just how?

19 hours ago, PJetski said:

Anyone play Tempest Lords? What do you do with all those extra command points? It seems like most Stormcast command abilities don't stack well.

Play Vanguard, take multiple Aquilors, teleport your ENTIRE ARMY EVERY TURN.

(The actual answer is, there's not much to spend them on. Enjoy endless Basic and Realm CAs, I guess)

3 minutes ago, Requizen said:

(The actual answer is, there's not much to spend them on. Enjoy endless Basic and Realm CAs, I guess)

Yea it baffles me how they thought inventing 8 stormhost rules was a good idea all at once. 4? Good start number. 6? generally a sweet spot. 8? Ok some of them are getting the shaft! (Plus on top of the THIRTY magic items available to normal sce armies, not counting realm artifacts)

I am generally curious if SCE/BOC subfactions are the norm or just a test set. I can imagine KO players getting really mad if their skyports turned into Stormhosts (forced trait and item).

I think we need to see a 3rd 2.0 book to see if stormhost style subfactions are here to stay or just an experiment.

Theyve been doing the subfactions for a while now. KO were the first with their Skyports, then DOK Temples, the different Legions of Nagash, and Idoneth Enclaves. I'm surprised Nurgle and Nighthaunt didn't get any.

It's a shame most of the Stormhosts are just awful. I think the only useful ones are Vindicators, Anvils, Templars, and Hammers. The first 2 require very specific lists to shine, Templars are very strong but meta-dependent, and Hammers are only useful because of Vandus and Gavriel.

Maybe the Stormhosts would be better if 75% of our units weren't overpriced and the battalions weren't flaming garbage.

Edited by PJetski

52 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Theyve been doing the subfactions for a while now. KO were the first with their Skyports, then DOK Temples, the different Legions of Nagash, and Idoneth Enclaves.

Yes subfactions have been a thing for a while, but 2.0 has introduced the concept of FORCING a single Command Trait and Item as a tax. Yes a few older subfactions do force an item or a trait, but not both and it's not universal (many simply do not have any trait or item).

(Also technically Legions of Nagash aren't subfactions, but actually alternate Allegiances)

So previous Subfactions are an army Bonus that are basically Mandatory (you literally do not benefit from not taking them).  When facing these armies, you always have to take into account that bonus.

Meanwhile SCE and BoC Subfactions are interesting alternatives to build your army around, but are very much "optional" (unless you're running Hammers of Sigmar...because Hammers of Sigmar Special Characters...). Sometimes the Command Trait and Item taxes are simply not worth the other benefits. They got slightly better with BoC since they just had to balance 3 instead of 8, but even then it's a bit lopsided.

Thats why I mentioned KO. I can easily imagine GW giving one of the Skyports the short end of the stick, making people mad their favorite Skyport has a bad item and/or command trait. (also they could possibly kill off Custom Skyports)

Edited by kenshin620

18 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Heraldor synergizes real well with a good chunk of stuff; allowing my drake to get across the field turn one, allowing my drake to retreat and charge in case he gets bogged down by a large blob, same for the fulminators for keeping their damage at a consistent 3 for charging.

I do see your point though. . .hmmm grumble grumble.

18 hours ago, PJetski said:

Heraldor is generally better than the Vexillor. I'll take Run & Retreat & Charge over rerolling charges (which can be gained through command abilities) any day of the week.

Heraldors shooting phase ability is good constant damage every turn if the enemy is anywhere near scenery, while the Vexillors meteor can only do damage once per game.

Two very powerful support heroes when used strategically. I find that they do not have overlapping roles in my armies.

The Heraldor has the highest value ceiling in my opinion. Getting his horn ability to affect multiple enemy units can be huge but the short range of his run/charge/retreat ability has bit me more times than I care to mention. He has trouble keeping pace with the things he wants to affect like cavalry.

The Vexillor has a lower ceiling but his value is in being reliable. He is fairly durable, more so than the Heraldor so he should stick around longer. His ability has a large bubble of effect. And both banners are fine but I ALWAYS take the Pennant. Being able to teleport any Stormcast unit from anywhere on the board to any other place on the board, no range restrictions is huge for objective based games. 

So I'm looking for a little bit of advice / inspiration from this sage community when it comes to adding to my Stormcast collection. I've let it slide a little recently in favour of Kill Team and other new shiny things and want to get it back on the board. I've been doing a lot of reading and going round in circles about what I should add.

Here's what I have thus far:

Lord Aquilor

Lord Relictor

Lord Castellant

Knight Zephyros

Knight Incantor

Archmage (allied)

10 x Liberators

10 x Vanguard Hunters

3 x Palladors (with javelins)

5 x Retributors (just hammers)

3 x Prosecutors with hammers

6 x Longstrike crossbows

6 x Aetherwings

6 x Gryph Hounds

My feeling overall about the collection is that it's a mix of some units which are still pretty good and much which is strictly 2nd tier at this point.

Having said that, I'm not planning on rushing out to replace my Paladins with Evocators or anything like that. I'm not ultra competitive and I'm happy enough to ride out the wave of temporary blinding cost-efficiency for when the inevitable hammer of justice lands in GHB 2019.

So on the basis that I'm not flipping the table and going the Sacrosanct route, I think one thing I certainly need are some Judicators as currently I'm forced to take the Aquilor as my general and bring 5 Hunters min. That would address my lack of battleline flexibility.

Outside of that I don't have a huge amount of punch, so Dracolines or perhaps a unit of Protectors are also on my radar.

Does that sound reasonable? Is there another direction this could go which I'm not considering?

Trying to start up SCE with Soul Wars but I have never played the army.  Just getting back into it with AoS 2.0 really.

I have three Soul Wars boxes, another box of evocators, an Ordinator and 10 Liberators to work with.  I could use some guidance on choosing a good Stormhost/Realm/Items/Spells and any other changes I should make to the list.  Also not sure if the boxes I've purchased will get me all the various grandhammers/staves/etc I'll need?

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline: General

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 2x 5 Liberators, 2x Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

Sequitors: 2x 5 Sequitors, Redemption Cache, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 2x 5 Sequitors, Redemption Cache, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Other +

Evocators: 3x 5 Evocators, 6x Grandstave, 9x Tempest Blade and Stormstave

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

14 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Trying to start up SCE with Soul Wars but I have never played the army.  Just getting back into it with AoS 2.0 really.

I have three Soul Wars boxes, another box of evocators, an Ordinator and 10 Liberators to work with.  I could use some guidance on choosing a good Stormhost/Realm/Items/Spells and any other changes I should make to the list.  Also not sure if the boxes I've purchased will get me all the various grandhammers/staves/etc I'll need?

+ Leader +

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

+ Game Options +

Thats a lot of battleline!

I'd be tempted to stick the sequitors in one big unit of 20 - all the better for buffing. And saving you 80 points. I think you points are off a little also, as I only get your list to 1960.  So now you've got 120 extra points to play with.

That's enough points for a Lord Castellant to buff the Sequitors. Or maybe another Ballista?

For the Evocators maybe go 10 and 5? cut another drop. Or even 15! 30 dice of 4+ MW in one activation is enough to scare anybody!

As far as stormhost goes, I'm a big fan of regular vanilla with Staunch Defender on your big blob units. Or maybe Anvils if you can get a double turn with Evocators still in combat... potential for a lot of ouch.

HTH

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

+ Leader +

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

+ Game Options +

From memory you only get two or three Greatmauls in the main box, including, confusingly, one on a prime who also has a cache. It makes sense to give the Prime one as that's 3 x 2 Dmg attacks. 

You might also want to consider dropping the Libs and bringing in the Castigators and the Hailstorm Battery Battalion given you already have 2/3 of units paid for. In certain instances the Drop reduction and ranged damage might be more useful.  

You can take a relic as well which you haven't yet. Two if you take the Battalion.

i'm trying to build a 1750 pts list with drake+castellan+heraldor ...i'm not sure if is better to add arcanum to get sequitors bl or going with a normal mage, 3x5 libs and put some dracolines ... 
1750 no realms:
Arcanum on gryffcharger General stanuch def

stardrake

heraldor

castellan

10 sequitor

2x5 libs

310pts left

dracoline? to put some more pressions? maybe in the sky realms... or 3 ballista ? i know without the ordinator they are worst at 5+ . or i can go up to 20 sequitors but then i'll have spare 150 pts to do what ?just one ballista won't make any sense :D

Edited by RocketMan

5 minutes ago, RocketMan said:

evocators on dracoline. Thoughts? 

Nice models!

The extra attacks are great. The rerolling to charge is great, as is the extra damage. The synergy with the Arcanum on Dracoline is great.

What's not great is having only 60% of the MW output for 50% more points!