AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey everyone, looking at making a list using the  Celestar  ballista and anvils stormhost, they look like a solid unit for 100pts and 3 and the ordinator really does not seem that bad value with what they could potentially output.

Looking for general feedback and advice, got 220pts left but not sure what to add.

+++ Stormcast Eternals Anvils Heldenhammer (Age of Sigmar) [1780pts] +++

++ Stormhost - Anvils Of The  Heldenhammer  ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon: General

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Sequitors: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 10 Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 10  Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Other +

Evocators: 5 Evocators, 5x Tempest Blade and Stormstave

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Edited by Shinzra
  • Like 1

So I'm just starting stormcast.

I've got:

Lord celestant on dracoth

Lord relictor

Knight vexilor (totem, not banner)

2 knight incantors

20 liberators, Inc 3 primes

5 retributors

3 prosecutors with hammers

What should I get to add to this? How do I form something playable around it?

I'll be mostly playing casual, but I want a strong list.

20 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Is there any consensus about the best stormhost aviable for us at the moment? And for what reason?

Hammers of Sigmar and Anvils of the Heldenhammer are imo the two best. Hammers because the Warlord Trait is fairly good and you get access to all the (frankly quite powerful) characters, Anvils because the Command Ability is really, really strong. The rest have tricks but I don't think good enough to justify the opportunity cost.

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Hammers of Sigmar and Anvils of the Heldenhammer are imo the two best. Hammers because the Warlord Trait is fairly good and you get access to all the (frankly quite powerful) characters, Anvils because the Command Ability is really, really strong. The rest have tricks but I don't think good enough to justify the opportunity cost.

I think Celestial Vindicators has a place in a cavalry heavy list, especially for those players who have already invested in 4 Fulminators.  Giving them an extra attack and reroll 1s to hit on charge is devastating.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shinzra said:

Hey everyone, looking at making a list using the  Celestar  ballista and anvils stormhost, they look like a solid unit for 100pts and 3 and the ordinator really does not seem that bad value with what they could potentially output.

Looking for general feedback and advice, got 220pts left but not sure what to add.

+++ Stormcast Eternals Anvils Heldenhammer (Age of Sigmar) [1780pts] +++

++ Stormhost - Anvils Of The  Heldenhammer  ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon: General

Lord-Ordinator: Astral Hammers

+ Artillery +

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

+ Battleline +

Sequitors: 5 Sequitors, 2x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 10 Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

Sequitors: 10  Sequitors, 4x Stormsmite Greatmace, Stormsmite Greatmace (Sequitor-Prime), Stormsmite Maul and Soulshield

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

I would suggest bringing the cleansing phalanx battalion since your list is quite evocator and sequitor heavy. Rerolling failed hits after an empower is quite huge, especially when you already have 2x 10 sequitors you could potentially boost. I'm not sure if going anvils of heldenhammer is the way to go with this list, the problem is that ballistas count as a single unit and you cannot, for example, have 1 big unit of 3 ballistas, so the command point would pretty much only get you like 2 to 3 damage at 18" range when used on those. I think other stormhosts may give you more value in a melee-heavy list, but I haven't done any calculations on that, just pure speculation :P

What you could do is go hammers of sigmar and bring a gavriel for his charge CA.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

I think Celestial Vindicators has a place in a cavalry heavy list, especially for those players who have already invested in 4 Fulminators.  Giving them an extra attack and reroll 1s to hit on charge is devastating.  

I agree. If HoS and AoH are tier 1 and CV are tier 2, I think Hallowed Knights and Tempest Lords could be tier 3. HK has a cool CA and decent traits and artifact, while TL can work really well if you build a list with several CAs.

3 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

So I'm just starting stormcast.

I've got:

Lord celestant on dracoth

Lord relictor

Knight vexilor (totem, not banner)

2 knight incantors

20 liberators, Inc 3 primes

5 retributors

3 prosecutors with hammers

What should I get to add to this? How do I form something playable around it?

I'll be mostly playing casual, but I want a strong list.

What is your overal gameplan/playstyle you wish to go for? I think 1 thing you can't go wrong with would be the comet endless spell. 15 liberators can pay for battleline tax, the celestant on dracoth can be run as a lord celestant and the lord relictor is also a nice addition to most armies. I guess given what you have, you should probably lean towards a melee army. I would suggest trying to get a hold of a lord arcanum and 3x 5 sequitors if you can though. You should be able to pick them up relatively cheap and they outclass liberators by quite a ton.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Question, can I run a sequitor prime as a normal sequitor? I really don’t want to buy more great mauls and I have a few extra primes off EBay. 

Yes, you just need to make sure there is some visual indication of which of the primes is your actual prime.

1 minute ago, Mpire said:

Question, can I run a sequitor prime as a normal sequitor? I really don’t want to buy more great mauls and I have a few extra primes off EBay. 

Clip off  the shoulder pad carefully and replaced it with a liberator shoulderpad and some green stuffing work for my "spare" primes. Also swap the head for some other stormcast head. You can buy both relatively cheap online.

The stormcast knee will look like a prime's, but you can probably shave that off with a hobby knife and tiny cuts (I personally didn't bother with the knee armour and just left it there).

17 minutes ago, Mpire said:

Depending on where you are playing if you explain which one is the "Prime" to your opponent you should be fine as well. Tournaments will be stricter on this however. 

I down-converted a shield Sequitor-Prime pretty easily.  The plumage snips right off the helmet, and the shoulder pad is very much trimmable - I ended up greenstuffing around the edge (whatever you call it - the bit that gets painted gold in the Anvils scheme) just because it was a little flat after trimming.  Just took a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

What is your overal gameplan/playstyle you wish to go for? I think 1 thing you can't go wrong with would be the comet endless spell. 15 liberators can pay for battleline tax, the celestant on dracoth can be run as a lord celestant and the lord relictor is also a nice addition to most armies. I guess given what you have, you should probably lean towards a melee army. I would suggest trying to get a hold of a lord arcanum and 3x 5 sequitors if you can though. You should be able to pick them up relatively cheap and they outclass liberators by quite a ton.

Combined arms approach is my usual style, angling on the offensive

8 hours ago, Bradipo322 said:

Cicle of the Storm now save the model 1 wound but after you do so you have to assign the remaining wound making it one of the worst abilities ever.

I'm pretty sure the 400pt named Khorne Daemon Prince whose COMMAND ability allows 1 unit to reroll 1s to wound would disagree with you.

Infact, I'm sure there are many armies who would love an ability like CotS that you can use up to 10 times a game without rolling a single die.

Gotta keep things in perspective mate...

Apparently the LA on Tauralon will be 70£. Outrageous, that could kill my last drops of interest for it.

A Freeguild Gryphon is half that and pretty much the same plastic. A Stardrake is only 15£ more and a huge mass of plastic in comparison. What is GW thinking, do they want it yo pick dust on their shelves?

Edited by DanielFM
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

Combined arms approach is my usual style, angling on the offensive

Evocators are a great unit to add in that case, you could even get some of the new easy to build stuff, a lord arcanum on gryph charger and some sequitors could synergize really well with the dracoth and prosecutors. The other stuff you have is also nice, but as far as I know not as optimal as the new stuff right now. Only the Celestant on Dracoth (vandus hammerhand) got a significant buff I believe.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Apparently the LA on Tauralon will be 70£. Outrageous, that could kill my last drops of interest for it.

A Freeguild Gryphon is half that and pretty much the same plastic. A Stardrake is only 15£ more and a huge mass of plastic in comparison. What is GW thinking, do they want it yo pick dust on their shelves?

Guess that'll be yet another unit that mysteriously didn't sell that well.

13 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

And here is further evidence that GW does not, in fact, want us to stop using our old models and buy the new ones.  It would be generous to call LAoT average from a rules perspective, especially compared to the likes of black coach and lady Olynder.  Add in his ridiculous price tag and he is just about plumb last on my Stormcast shopping list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mark Williams said:

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but if you roll a "we cannot fail" damage save for the Celestant-Prime, can you change it to a 6 using the Orrery of Celestial Fates? I'm sure his warscroll only applies to normal armor saves, but I had to ask. :P

Trust your gut.  Orrery can only be applied to saves, whereas we cannot fail is an ability.

So who thinks it would be a good idea to make a Tempest Lords Dracoline based list that just pumps all your dracolines attacks to kingdom come, gives them all guaranteed 6" runs, adds +2 to their runs with LAoT, makes them run and charge with Heraldors and then smash into your enemy...

If you guys hadn't figured it out yet, building imaginative lists is one of my favorite things to do.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

So who thinks it would be a good idea to make a Tempest Lords Dracoline based list that just pumps all your dracolines attacks to kingdom come, gives them all guaranteed 6" runs, adds +2 to their runs with LAoT, makes them run and charge with Heraldors and then smash into your enemy...

If you guys hadn't figured it out yet, building imaginative lists is one of my favorite things to do.

Could it possibly make Lightning Echelon an option? I've always wanted to run either Lightning or Thunderwave effectively... I would also feel a lot better about the Tempest Lords host if the artefact activated on a 4+ instead of a 5+. 

7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Could it possibly make Lightning Echelon an option? I've always wanted to run either Lightning or Thunderwave effectively... I would also feel a lot better about the Tempest Lords host if the artefact activated on a 4+ instead of a 5+. 

For maximum insanity you could take a Lords of the storm battalion and am aetherquartz brooch.  But then you wouldn't have any good command abilities to use your limitless command points on.  

6 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

For maximum insanity you could take a Lords of the storm battalion and am aetherquartz brooch.  But then you wouldn't have any good command abilities to use your limitless command points on.  

Vandus could just horde all the CPs and make himself a 1 man deathstar. Shields are overrated.