AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

I dont think that realms and realm artifacts will make there way to competitive play.

So far, there's been at least 3 tournaments (more I'm sure, but 3 that I'm aware of) that have happened since the launch of 2nd edition and they all took a slightly different approach to the rules. None of them used the Realm of Battle rules, but they all allowed the realm specific artefacts no problem. One tournament also allowed you to take 1 spell from the same realm as your artefact for your army, but I wouldn't expect that to happen too often.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What does lens of refraction? 

Lens of Refraction used to reduce the mortal wounds caused by a spell cast by an enemy wizard by d3 for each unit within 6" of the bearer of the artefact. Now it does that once per battle round for a single unit.

So basically: your opponent casts Arcane Bolt and rolls a 10+. They roll d3 mortal wounds for your stardrake that has the old lens, you roll a d3 to reduce it. You both roll a 2 and no one takes damage.

Edited by mystycalchemy
I can't read.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Lens of Refraction used to reduce the mortal wounds caused by a spell cast by an enemy wizard by d3 for each unit within 6" of the bearer of the artefact. Now it does that once per game for a single unit.

So basically: your opponent casts Arcane Bolt and rolls a 10+. They roll d3 mortal wounds for your stardrake that has the old lens, you roll a d3 to reduce it. You both roll a 2 and no one takes damage.

Once per Battle Round, not per game.

7 hours ago, Lord Ein said:

-1 rend for all upgrades, but 1 damage with axe and 2 damage with grandblade and grandhammer. Is it allowed to take 1 axe and 1 grandhammer for instance or are you limited with choosing the same in a unit?

Unless you face a horde army with 25mm bases that happen to pile in to your unit, I think it will be very difficult to get full value out of the axes. I think you are best off just going with the sword or hammer for consistent (and most of the time more) damage

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kemika said:

What are your thoughts about the Lightning Echelon Battalion?

With Gavriel and Cogs, you could do an awesome alpha strike.

Really like the idea, but cogs do tend to get dispelled though :(. What is the % chance of getting a charge in without cogs? 

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Wow, I must be blind or amnesic, I can't find or remember where are those artefacts in my books... Please?

Never mind, found it in the malign sorcery book

But I don't see any malign sorcery erata in the faq  :S

Where is the new rule of lens of refarction?

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Why always so salty:

1.Evocators better than before!

2.the command abilitys would be overpowered as f... if you could use them more than once, so its a welcome nerf! ( imagine 15 longstrike with 10 cp)

3. we all played cycle of the storm like tjis on our community so wtf

4. Stacking gavriel is allowed! Buff!

1.  As I said it was pretty obvious that it was a print error on the page of the spell lore, so while we now have an official confirmation nothing really changed;
  2. The command ability of Anvils and Vindicators would have been overpowered and their "nerf" is right and no one will ever justify the opposite. What I hate is the change for Hammers of Sigmar that before the FAQ was fine (1 CP for a 33% chance to bring back a dead unit? It's hardly overpowering, even after you look at all the other faction that can summon for free or can do so without having to gamble a CP) now it's entirerly random and unreliable, why would anyone use this stormhost anymore?
  3. I know that a lot of people used Cicle of the Storm with this rule but I hoped (and I did so really hard) that they would modify, or at least clarify, the ability in a way that left the saved unit with 1 wound remaining after all attacks have been resolved. As it is now Cicle of the Storm just gives 1 more wound to a model on the turn he dies.
  4. Because before you couldn't do that? As I read it even before you could do that, so nothing new there.

So onto the true question : Why I'm so salty? I'm salty because most of the models that I have are just not what they used to be:

• Liberators are a joke compared to sequitors, heck, they are even less powerful that chaos warrios that cost less points and have a shield that gives them a save of 5+ on mortal wounds (and chaos warriors are just mortals while liberators are immortals warriors that have prepared for centuries for war);
  • Retributors dealing 2 mortal wound on an unmodified 6 disables their combo with a Lord-Celestant...
  • ... that has his command ability nerfed to work only if he is in melee with an enemy and lasts only for half a turn;
  • Lord-Relictor can "cast" only one prayer at a turn and got a point price upped from 80 to 100;
  • Even Vandus himself did not survive the NerfHammer and similarly to the Lord-Celestant his command ability lasts only for half a turn;

So how do I have to feel these changes? Before AoS2 was announced I was working on an Hammers of Sigmar battallion, but now the Thunderhead Brotherood is useless and even the new stormhost rule got nerfed. Can you imagine the people around me saying thing like "oh no, new Stormcats, so boring" or "Stormcasts where already so strong".

Now I have around 150   of useless and nerfed Stormcast and I can't feel salty? Even the new and ecxiting stuff got nerfed even before I had a chance to play with them and I can't feel salty?

Now if you excuse me I'm going to cry in a corner...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Really like the idea, but cogs do tend to get dispelled though :(. What is the % chance of getting a charge in without cogs? 

Without cogs, if you use Gavriel CA 2 times thanks to the battalion, I think you have 2.78% to miss (You need to roll at least 3 on 2d6)

Edited by Kemika

22 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

What I hate is the change for Hammers of Sigmar that before the FAQ was fine (1 CP for a 33% chance to bring back a dead unit? It's hardly overpowering, even after you look at all the other faction that can summon for free or can do so without having to gamble a CP) now it's entirerly random and unreliable, why would anyone use this stormhost anymore?

Gavriel + Cogs. 

Scroll up - pretty much every list on this thread is Hammers of Sigmar.  Not because of the command ability, because of the Scion charge with Gavriel and cogs.

38 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:
  1. Lord-Relictor can "cast" only one prayer at a turn and got a point price upped from 80 to 100;

While technically true, this isn't quite what you're thinking. The Lord-Relictor's Lightning or Healing storms are no longer prayers. They are simply abilities that are triggered on a dice roll of 3+. Meaning the Lord-Relictor can still Lightning or Healing Storm + Relocation (or whatever other prayer)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mystycalchemy said:

While technically true, this isn't quite what you're thinking. The Lord-Relictor's Lightning or Healing storms are no longer prayers. They are simply abilities that are triggered on a dice roll of 3+. Meaning the Lord-Relictor can still Lightning or Healing Storm + Relocation (or whatever other prayer)

I didn't realize this! 

55 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

Why I'm so salty? I'm salty because most of the models that I have are just not what they used to be:

• Liberators are a joke compared to sequitors, heck, they are even less powerful that chaos warrios that cost less points and have a shield that gives them a save of 5+ on mortal wounds (and chaos warriors are just mortals while liberators are immortals warriors that have prepared for centuries for war);
  • Retributors dealing 2 mortal wound on an unmodified 6 disables their combo with a Lord-Celestant...
  • ... that has his command ability nerfed to work only if he is in melee with an enemy and lasts only for half a turn;
  • Lord-Relictor can "cast" only one prayer at a turn and got a point price upped from 80 to 100;
  • Even Vandus himself did not survive the NerfHammer and similarly to the Lord-Celestant his command ability lasts only for half a turn;

So how do I have to feel these changes? Before AoS2 was announced I was working on an Hammers of Sigmar battallion, but now the Thunderhead Brotherood is useless and even the new stormhost rule got nerfed. Can you imagine the people around me saying thing like "oh no, new Stormcats, so boring" or "Stormcasts where already so strong".

Now I have around 150   of useless and nerfed Stormcast and I can't feel salty? Even the new and ecxiting stuff got nerfed even before I had a chance to play with them and I can't feel salty?

I feel you're pain,  I'm in the same boat.  Honestly it feels like these things were done to "encourage" me to buy the new models.  All it has done is make a lot less interested in AoS.  (granted my other army was Khorne who in the magic heavy meta suffers a lot too).

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:

Even Vandus himself did not survive the NerfHammer and similarly to the Lord-Celestant his command ability lasts only for half a turn;

Vandus is so much stronger now than he was before.  The real benefit of running Hammers of Signature is that you gain access to the ridiculously strong command abilities of the HoS named characters.  Why would I need his CA to last a whole round when I can just use it twice and annihilate whatever unit is in front of me?  

57 minutes ago, Kemika said:

Without cogs, if you use Gavriel CA 2 times thanks to the battalion, I think you have 2.78% to miss (You need to roll at least 3 on 2d6)

In my mind i was under the impression that his ability didnt stack. I remembered wrong. Sounds like a great tactic in that case! Especially evocators deal massive damage. If you can charge those in that would be great! :D

I really do not get the people complaining that old units are obsolete.  There are so many old units that are now viable that weren't before.  

To name a few:

Lord Aquilor no longer has to be general to use his CA.

Knight Azyros now adds bonus to melee too.

Hurricane xbow raptors are cheaper and get their bonus when dropped with scions.

Palladors are probably good enough to sometimes make the cut at 200 points.

Nobody ever used gavriel and now he has a place.

Drakesworn Templar is actually useful.

Lord castellant got buffed, as if he needed it.

The only unit I can really think of that just got shafted was liberators and most of us only used 5 of them per list anyway and only because we were forced to, so I say good riddance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bradipo322 said:
  1.  As I said it was pretty obvious that it was a print error on the page of the spell lore, so while we now have an official confirmation nothing really changed;
  2. The command ability of Anvils and Vindicators would have been overpowered and their "nerf" is right and no one will ever justify the opposite. What I hate is the change for Hammers of Sigmar that before the FAQ was fine (1 CP for a 33% chance to bring back a dead unit? It's hardly overpowering, even after you look at all the other faction that can summon for free or can do so without having to gamble a CP) now it's entirerly random and unreliable, why would anyone use this stormhost anymore?
  3. I know that a lot of people used Cicle of the Storm with this rule but I hoped (and I did so really hard) that they would modify, or at least clarify, the ability in a way that left the saved unit with 1 wound remaining after all attacks have been resolved. As it is now Cicle of the Storm just gives 1 more wound to a model on the turn he dies.
  4. Because before you couldn't do that? As I read it even before you could do that, so nothing new there.

So onto the true question : Why I'm so salty? I'm salty because most of the models that I have are just not what they used to be:

I think the nerfing old SC stuff for new SC stuff will likely continue, but a lot of stuff got buffs though! On the plus side of things though, at least it is just a 150 euro waste (I have had 800 euro worth of stuff getting nerfed with GHB2017, I was super sour for months haha). If you resold the stuff you will likely have enough cash for the new soul wars stuff and probably enough bits to optimise them, but the hobby hours... Those are gone :(. I choose to exclusively convert everything nowadays barring some cool characters I keep as-is, same with most easy to build stuff. I do this so it can fulfil a counts-as role of other units if needed. Just make stuff look distinct and similar weapon options as other units. Like giving liberator swords to sequitors and doing a head swap to something else, combined with some bits here and there. They can count-as any sword & shield SC at that point. I have a necromancer who is also a battle mage and occasionally a chaos sorcerer for that matter, as well as a sorcerer who is ocassionaly a tidecaster, but also a vampire lord. If you make your stuff distinct enough and have similar paint schemes across armies, you can go quite far and don't have to worry so much about nerfs. There is only so many weapon options they can come up with after all. A distinct crossbow guy can be a xbow judicator,  a hurricane raptor, but also a castigator with some imagination. Just take pictures for your army lists and make it clear with your opponent what is what and most importantly, keep it simple. You will be happier in the long run.

Edited by Kugane

46 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Seriously?! Thank you!