AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Vindictors and vanquisher will be in one kit I think. 

There aren't any shared parts I could see. The legs are all different.

It would've made sense but it doesn't look like it.

Edited by NauticalSoup
Other unit that also starts with a 'V'

47 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

There aren't any shared parts I could see. The legs are all different.

It would've made sense but it doesn't look like it.

Only legs and weapons look different, I don’t think they will be in different kits.

7 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Torsos are different, archers have capes clasped across the breastplate. Different heads arms toros weapons. Kinda running out of components to share.

No one is talking about the archers. We’re talking about vindictors/ vanquishers.

5 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

No one is talking about the archers. We’re talking about vindictors/ vanquishers.

Oh sorry sce names are so horrendous they don't even register - that's more possible but I still don't see them having that much wasted plastic for a dual kit just to reuse the torsos. It would also be odd not to mention it in the promo.

Not literally impossible but it's also very likely there just won't be a multipart kit for the spearbois.

17 minutes ago, Celestantpants said:

Quick question, where does someone like Bastion stand in the pecking order in regards to both power and authority in comparison to the Celestant Prime and Yndrasta?

I haven't read enough new stuff to speak about Yndrasta but the Celestant Prime is the first Stormcast. He's above all the other stormcasts and is Sigmar's direct agent, his right hand and foremost champion. He would presumably be above all the other stormcasts, regardless of their military rank within their respective hosts.

Fluff wise I also get the impression that he is unrivaled in power as far as stormcasts go, although that's not really represented in the game.

• Like 1

Hey all, what are your thoughts on the list below? Would really welcome your thoughts! Aiming for something that's fun to play and play against, avoids cheese while still having a decent shot at a win.

Basic strategy would be:

• Two blocks of 1 unit of sequitors and 1 unit of vindictors, supported by a ballista each, to hold back objectives and slowly move up. Lord Imperatant to baby sit, handing out mystic shield (using the arcane tome enhancement) and CAs.
  • Yndrasta, praetors, annihilators, evocators and vexillor to drop in to the backline, neutralize any big threats and generally cause trouble (keeping the blob within 12" of Yndrasta and the Vexillor for the reroll charges, battleshock immunity and to revive models)
  • Unit of Aetherwings to hang back and either steal objectives or block any key charges into sequitors/vindictors blobs if anything gets through.

General

Yndrasta 300

Leaders

Lord Imperatant 160 (plus enhancement: arcane tome)

Knight Vexillor with Apotheosis Banner 125

Battleline

Vindictors (x1) 140

Vindictors (x1) 140

Sequitors (x1) 130

Sequitors (x1) 130

Units

Annihilators (x1) 190

Evocators (x1) 225

Praetors (x1) 155

Aetherwings (x1) 45

Artillery

Ballista 120

Ballista 120

Total Points 1980

Alternatively, could drop the ballistas and get the evocators up to 10 models for a bit more of a melee threat and better value off the revives from Yndrasta/Vexillor's banner.

I'd be a bit worried that the battleline units would be sitting ducks though if the blob of death doesn't do it's job - not sure how long five-man battline units would hold up without some shooting threat to trim down attacking units...

12 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

i would wait to buy full unit kits unless you find good secondhand deals.

priority heroes that will always be worth buying when you want to:
Lord Relictor (parted out from 1.0 boxes or bought secondhand)
Knight Incantor (parted out from Soul Wars or from the Getting Started mag)
Lord Castellant (direct GW or 3rd party)

Thanks for the advise! I really love the Lord Castellant and his little doggo too.

I think that for as cool as Stormcast are, it is often difficult for non-stormcast players to tell the difference. As much as I prefer soldiers to have helmets, I am thinking of doing all my heroes and unit champions sans helmet so that my opponent can more easily tell the difference. Furthermore, I am thinking of painting their armour to denote 'rank'. I will use Runelord Brass on the battleline troops, Leadbelcher for 'the elite' units, and Retributor Armour on the heroes. I expect many an Olympic joke at the expense of my army. 😄

However, as you said I should really take my time as I still have some ogors to build and have yet to paint any of them. I am however really excited about this project though and might build and paint them alongside my ogors. Bur I am still shooting for a rather small Stormcast force as I have limited shelf space and my Chaos army kinda got a little more horde-like than I had anticipated thanks to Warcry. 

This is my current mock up for my 'elite' Stormcast theme:
360569309_Praetortest.jpg.08e514498fdcd25f3145b181fd0c7393.jpg

Keep in mind that my paint job will be significantly messier and more flat. This is just a mock up or proof of concept. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, ThunderstruckTinCan said:

Hey all, what are your thoughts on the list below? Would really welcome your thoughts! Aiming for something that's fun to play and play against, avoids cheese while still having a decent shot at a win.

Basic strategy would be:

• Two blocks of 1 unit of sequitors and 1 unit of vindictors, supported by a ballista each, to hold back objectives and slowly move up. Lord Imperatant to baby sit, handing out mystic shield (using the arcane tome enhancement) and CAs.
  • Yndrasta, praetors, annihilators, evocators and vexillor to drop in to the backline, neutralize any big threats and generally cause trouble (keeping the blob within 12" of Yndrasta and the Vexillor for the reroll charges, battleshock immunity and to revive models)
  • Unit of Aetherwings to hang back and either steal objectives or block any key charges into sequitors/vindictors blobs if anything gets through.

General

Yndrasta 300

Leaders

Lord Imperatant 160 (plus enhancement: arcane tome)

Knight Vexillor with Apotheosis Banner 125

Battleline

Vindictors (x1) 140

Vindictors (x1) 140

Sequitors (x1) 130

Sequitors (x1) 130

Units

Annihilators (x1) 190

Evocators (x1) 225

Praetors (x1) 155

Aetherwings (x1) 45

Artillery

Ballista 120

Ballista 120

Total Points 1980

Alternatively, could drop the ballistas and get the evocators up to 10 models for a bit more of a melee threat and better value off the revives from Yndrasta/Vexillor's banner.

I'd be a bit worried that the battleline units would be sitting ducks though if the blob of death doesn't do it's job - not sure how long five-man battline units would hold up without some shooting threat to trim down attacking units...

List is illegal due to a fact than without Lord Arcanum Sequitors aren't battleline. 

3x 5 Liberators - 3x 95
-Grandhammer
-Shields 
Andrasta - 300
Tauralon - 300
- general
- Spell: flaming weapon
- A: Amulet of destiny
- CT: Staunch Defender 
- MT: Keen Clawed 
Relictor - 110
- Curse
Azyros - 110
- A: Fury Brand 
Heraldor - 110 
6 Vanguard Raptors with Hurricane Crossbow - 300 
4x Desolators - 410
Emerald Lifeswarm - 60 

Warlord:
Tauralon + Andrasta
Heraldor + Azyros
Liberators + Vanguard Raptors

Vangurd:
Relictor
Liberators + Liberators + Desolators

Triumph: Inspired

17 hours ago, rosa said:

I am really sorry. I just can’t understand why people are happy? Again new foot troops? Again a new shooting unit? WE HAVE PLENTY AlREADY. Just give them proper rules. 

i actually just sold all my Stormcast and try to go with another army. The process of reforging casts that are barley 3 years old is not a way I want to support. I really can’t understand GW strategy here. 

sorry…

17 hours ago, The Red King said:

Seems like GW failed to force stormcast into the role as fantasy space marines (as far as popularity and sales are concerned) and then smacked themselves on the forehead and said oh right silly us people want PRIMARIS stormcast!

Sure these look way better than the originals but I won't be buying any even though I like them because like you said. I'm not gonna support making new versions of 3 year old models while other armies still have finecast older than I am...

Not everything is gonna resonate with everybody, and there's nothing to apologize for on that score. For my part, I find myself in love with the new and original sculpts alike. I remember seeing the Slaanesh Myrmidesh Painbringers and thinking "darn it, why can they make SCE with armor fitted like that?" The Aesthetics don't match perfectly, but that's a minor quibble I'm happy to overlack because now I feel like the Stormcast have their own identity, far more removed from their "fantasy space marines" roots, and I love the distinct noble/knightly theme to their redesign.

If people are turned off by the new design, that's perfectly fine. More for me :D

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

This is my current mock up for my 'elite' Stormcast theme:
360569309_Praetortest.jpg.08e514498fdcd25f3145b181fd0c7393.jpg

Keep in mind that my paint job will be significantly messier and more flat. This is just a mock up or proof of concept. 

Did you do that using impcat? If so where did you find the template as I’ve been looking for all the SCE templates I can find.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

3x 5 Liberators - 3x 95
-Grandhammer
-Shields 
Andrasta - 300
Tauralon - 300
- general
- Spell: flaming weapon
- A: Amulet of destiny
- CT: Staunch Defender 
- MT: Keen Clawed 
Relictor - 110
- Curse
Azyros - 110
- A: Fury Brand 
Heraldor - 110 
6 Vanguard Raptors with Hurricane Crossbow - 300 
4x Desolators - 410
Emerald Lifeswarm - 60 

Warlord:
Tauralon + Andrasta
Heraldor + Azyros
Liberators + Vanguard Raptors

Vangurd:
Relictor
Liberators + Liberators + Desolators

Triumph: Inspired

Looks interesting - talk us through the strategy here?

2 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Did you do that using impcat? If so where did you find the template as I’ve been looking for all the SCE templates I can find.

I just used photoshop and found the image on google. I am not great at photoshop so there are a lot of gaffes on my part but I do really like the scheme. 

I am also considering trying to do a tartan style look for my Stormcast but that seems far beyond my skill set to do in an adequate fashion. Maybe I will try it on a specific hero or unit.  

Hmm, I have absolutely zero photoshop skills but I recently found the impcat app and love it. Just wish there were more templates for the AoS models already. I have Vandus and a liberator which I used to kind of work out my paint scheme for current project but would like to test the scheme on lots of units to tweak it. Have the liberator figured out but still tweaking Vandus to find something I like using the scheme. May need to change the dracoth’s colors. 

040DF372-08DA-449C-AD19-75D677118878.png

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Lior'Lec said:

Hmm, I have absolutely zero photoshop skills but I recently found the impcat app and love it. Just wish there were more templates for the AoS models already. I have Vandus and a liberator which I used to kind of work out my paint scheme for current project but would like to test the scheme on lots of units to tweak it. Have the liberator figured out but still tweaking Vandus to find something I like using the scheme. May need to change the dracoth’s colors. 

040DF372-08DA-449C-AD19-75D677118878.png

Oh wow this looks absolutely fantastic, I would be interested in seeing the dracoth having a reddish brown hue, maybe a doombull brown with a highlight of Khorne red. But I actually think I prefer the related cloak and Dracoth, it gives a sense that Vandus' cloak represents his status as a drake rider. I always think the best colour schemes tell a story. However, if you run a unit of Dracoth you can give them this green colour and make Vandus' dracoth red to stand out against them.

It puts my hypothetical colour scheme to shame although my scheme is actually meant to oppose my red and white chaos scheme, I am intending to use black on the pauldrons and shields both of which are both not really showcased on the Praetor image I posted. Although I am thinking of ditching the green and going black and white for the fabric to give them a priestly vibe.

48 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

It puts my hypothetical colour scheme to shame although my scheme is actually meant to oppose my red and white chaos scheme, I am intending to use black on the pauldrons and shields both of which are both not really showcased on the Praetor image I posted. Although I am thinking of ditching the green and going black and white for the fabric to give them a priestly vibe.

Actually I really dig the scheme you posted. The silver armor with the gold edging is very distinctive. My entire army isn’t going to match the photo entirely which is why I needed more templates to refine it. My plan is to use colorshift paints for heraldry colors and each unit has different heraldry colors to distinguish them. The “unifying” element will be neutral tones (black, white, browns as seen on Vandus) and the generic armor colors of silver armor, gold trim, and metallic black and white for details. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
Grammar
  • LOVE IT! 1

Also, while I’m not sure just how difficult it is to do (there are videos for it on YouTube) if you have some skills with photoshop you can  make your own templates which would work in impcat to allow you to fairly quickly tweak color shemes when planning your army. For example when I worked out my plan I started with the liberator template then swapped the pauldrons and shield tones to simulate four different colorshift heraldry colors for comparisons. Once the main body of the work was done it was just two-three quick changes to modify the heraldry each time. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
Fat thumbs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThunderstruckTinCan said:

-snip-

Hey, handful of thoughts for ya :)

- Not much reason to make Yndrasta the General, its kinda just wasting your command trait choice (she can't have one because she's unique

- Personally, I haven't been impressed with Annihilators, to me, they seem like slightly stronger retributors. You could cut them to add a Lord-Arcanum (kitbash one or use the magazine Knight-Incantor if youre not going to a Tournament) and make them your General for Sequitor Battleline and extra casting power. 

- Also worth noting, because of how the Praetor's Soul-Forged Guardians ability is worded, whoever they soul-bond to must be on the battlefield (nothing says they have to be at first), so in your current list, they'd only be able to bond to the Lord-Imperatant and the Knight-Vexillor. :(

otherwise, I like the list! I hope this didn't come off as too demanding or negative!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Hey, handful of thoughts for ya :)

- Not much reason to make Yndrasta the General, its kinda just wasting your command trait choice (she can't have one because she's unique

- Personally, I haven't been impressed with Annihilators, to me, they seem like slightly stronger retributors. You could cut them to add a Lord-Arcanum (kitbash one or use the magazine Knight-Incantor if youre not going to a Tournament) and make them your General for Sequitor Battleline and extra casting power. 

- Also worth noting, because of how the Praetor's Soul-Forged Guardians ability is worded, whoever they soul-bond to must be on the battlefield (nothing says they have to be at first), so in your current list, they'd only be able to bond to the Lord-Imperatant and the Knight-Vexillor. :(

otherwise, I like the list! I hope this didn't come off as too demanding or negative!

Amazing, thank you! Really helpful! I hadn't appreciated that Praetors couldn't be used with the reserve ability :(

Will have a think about the Lord Arcanum - you're probably right the list is lacking any sort of magic strength at the minute. It looks like sequitors might be unconditional battleline with the new tome if the leaks are right so may not be required in future...

I'm most interested to see where Yndrasta has best value - sticking backfield and reviving/problem solving, or dropping in deep field and causing some havoc...

4 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

If people are turned off by the new design, that's perfectly fine. More for me :D

Fine by me as well. Started building my Dominion Stormcast today and 😍 the new design looks even better in person. I don't think I can go back to the old style now.

• Like 2