AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, chord said:

Building a box of Dracolines and it appears that only one grandstaff is included but the unit can take 2.  What did people do for that?

There should be two grandstaves in the box - one that can be held by the female model, and one that's held by one of the male models. It's labelled as an 'aetherstave' on the box, and is held by the alternative assembly Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline model, but it's functionally identical to a grandstave.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:26 PM, Marzillius said:

Time for a tournament report!

I played the following list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

Game 1 vs old Ironjawz: Focal Points. I screen my Dracolines using the Liberators, the Ballistae battery is in the sky. He teleports a 20-man unit of Ardboyz into the Liberator screen turn 1, along with some Goregruntas. A Mawkrusha boss charges the Castellant's free Gryph-Hound to kill it with a MW charge and then charge into something else. However, he only does 3 mortal wounds, so I save it using the Cycle of the Storm, meaning his entire Mawkrusha is wasted fighting the Gryph-Hound. The Evocators kill some boyz, and in my turn I retreat-charge them using the Heraldor and wipe the boyz. I fail to cast Cogs though, and the Ballistae fail to kill the Mawkrusha, leaving him on 1 wound. My screen is dead, and I have no re-roll save on the Evocators, so now I need the double turn. Luckily I get it and wipe his army down to 5 models at the end of round 2. Max win for me.

Game 2 vs Legion of Grief: Starstrike. Standard Dreadblade Harrow list with a bunch of ghosts. He takes first turn and summons most of his army from gravesites 9" away from my Liberator screen. He makes 2 of the charges and kills like 8 Libs, I kill some ghosts back. Then I retreat-charge the Evocators and kill 20 Harridans and 12 Myrmourns. The Ballistae kill a Knight of Shrouds. I get the double, the Evocators kill 20 Bladegheists, the Ballistae a Guardian of Souls and a bunch of Myrmourns, and the Arcanum another Guardian and nearly another Knight of Shrouds. I now cover 3 of the gravesites and there is a massive terrainpiece preventing charges from the fourth. Now it turns sour, because the 1-wound Knight of Shrouds managed to kill my Arcanum against all odds, freeing up a Gravesite. He teleports the Harrow in, summons a bunch of stuff back, then he AGAIN makes two 9" charges, sandwiches the Evocators and kill my entire army bar the Ballistae. It was all decided on a few strange dice rolls. Epic loss for me.

Game 3 vs Gloomspite Gitz: Places of Arcane Power. List with 60 Stabbas, 40 Stabbas, 20 Shootas, 10 Fanatics, Snufflers, an Arachnarok, Skragrott and some spellcasters and a Loonboss. He lets me go first, I fail to kill the Arachnarok with the Ballistae and take no points. On his turn he moves up and takes a point with the Arachnarok. He gets the double and sends the Fanatics into the Evocators. They roll really badly and I make a bunch of saves, so only 2 die. He also roll snake-eyes on the 40 Stabbas to charge the Gryph-Hound which is standing on an objective, which lets me move up and take the point without charging him. Then the Evocators are let loose and kills half the Goblins. I manage to sneak my Arcanum past his screens to slay his hero holding the middle, taking it for myself. At the end of turn 5 a single Liberator Prime manages to liberate Skragrotts brains from his skull, giving me the win.

Game 4 vs Flesh Eater Courts, Blisterskin. Blood and Glory. 2 Terrorgheists, 30 Ghouls, bunch of Horrors and Flayers and 2 Courtiers. I get first turn, buff up the Evos and establish a massive Liberator screen and shoot 5 wounds off a Terrorgheist with long range with the Ballistae. Then he goes, charges a Terrorgheist and the ghouls into said screen. Of course kills them, but draws the Evocators behind into the combat as well. The Evos obliterate the Ghouls and halves the Terrorgheist. Then I win the initiative, retreat-charge the Evos into the other Terrorgheist while the Ballistae finish off the wounded one. Then it's just clean-up until I hold all four points in round 5. Max win for me.

Game 5 vs Tzeentch, Change Host. Scorched Earth. The nightmare match-up. He gives me first turn, halves the move of the Evocators using the Changeling so they fail their turn 1 charge. The Ballistae kills a unit of Pink Horrors.. In his turn his magic is lackluster (fails infernal gateway, rolls 0 6s on the Purple Sun, Pendulum deals 1 MW etc). I get priority and the Evocators smashes a flank, burning one of his objectives. Then a torrent of blue horrors show up and lock down the entire battleline, which I have to fight my way through. I win priority again, and the Evos burn another of his objectives. It is now looking dire for him, so he charges the Lord of Change into 8 Libs and the Ordinator. He whiffs his attacks and I get him down to four wounds. I get the Arcanum into combat with the LoC as well, but then he gets EXTREMELY LUCKY. He saves five 5+ saves and three 4+ saves in a row and lives with 1 wound. Then summons a whole load of Brimstones into my backline and burns all my objectives. Incredibly frustrating way to end a tournament. In the end we draw.

I end up at 9th place out of 36 with 3-1-1, which is actually quite alright. I only managed to cast Cogs in game 4, I failed to cast them 9 times in a row after that, and then 2 times again in the Tzeentch game. So I succeeded in casting a 7 cast spell once out of 12 tries. That has to be some kind of world record. I love playing with the Dracolines however, they are pure murder machines. If you point them at something when they have gotten their buffs off, that thing will die. The Ballistae disappoint again, they were always a wound off killing important targets. This is the third tournament in a row where they disappoint me. I will let them sit in the shelf for a loooong time now.

I ws wondering, in that list could you swap out the four Celestar Ballista for two five man units of judicators?

12 hours ago, l1censetochill said:

There should be two grandstaves in the box - one that can be held by the female model, and one that's held by one of the male models. It's labelled as an 'aetherstave' on the box, and is held by the alternative assembly Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline model, but it's functionally identical to a grandstave.

Thanks!

I'll double check I thought there was only one really long staff, the others are all "half staff".  I'll look again

Hi guys,

Another rules querry please...

I'm running hammers of sigmar with the phalanx and my 2nd item is the aetherquartz brooch. 

In the game I have 2 CP. I deepstrike with GAV and some untis. Charge phase I burn 1 CP and add 3" to my charges near GAV. Then I roll for the brooch and get the CP back. I burn the CP again and add 3" more.  I roll for brooch and get CP back again. I end up doing this 5 times in a row adding 15" to my charges.

Clearly my opponent was not impressed and said this was not legal...

Is this legal? I know GAV's ability stacks but is there something wrong with the way I  used the CP?

Thanks for reading

Edited by Fundre

11 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Hahaha nice one 😊 

It gets better. I did that turn 3.

In turn 4 I had 7CP cause I kept getting my CP back so I made 30"+ charges to win the game .

Played against DoK, the mission was 1st one in BRB, 4 objectives and you win once you controll all 4

• LOVE IT! 1

What about this one?

Hammers     
Arcanum    220
Vexillor    120
Gavriel    120
Relictor    100

Castellant    120

Evo    220
Evo    220
Sequitors    130
Sequitors    130
Sequitors    440

Phalanx   120
Cp    50

Totale    1990

2 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

What about this one?

Hammers     
Arcanum    220
Vexillor    120
Gavriel    120
Relictor    100

Castellant    120

Evo    220
Evo    220
Sequitors    130
Sequitors    130
Sequitors    440

Phalanx   120
Cp    50

Totale    1990

Very similar to my list. I find that you do want one big unit of evos. Try get one unit to 10 and maybe drop 5 seqs... 
Another thing, the phalanx's empower only works on 2 seq units. I run 2 x 10 seqs to get the best chances of empower and other buffs. my 3rd battle line is 5 seqs

image.png.a5e1740a02a8965662a37c36fc43a926.png

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AxolotlQuestions said:

Something to watch out for - regardless of Gav's ability you still need to be within 12" of an enemy unit to be able to declare a charge.

Yes, I am aware. I had 2 units that were outside of 12 which couldnt charge. 

That’s interesting. As you don t have to declare who you are charging as long as you are within 12” of an enemy unit can you roll and get for instance 30” with Gav as above and then move / charge to another unit further than 12” away?

Edited by Alfascozzesi
Mis spell

19 minutes ago, Alfascozzesi said:

That’s interesting. As you don t have to declare who you are charging as long as you are within 12” of an enemy unit can you roll and get for instance 30” with Gav as above and then move / charge to another unit further than 12” away?

Correct

35 minutes ago, Alfascozzesi said:

Yeah thats exactly what i did. Morathi was within 12 of 3 units in t4. so they could declare charges, i had enough bonus move to get to all the objectives he was holding and won through sneaky shenanigans. One unit charged 32"

4 hours ago, Fundre said:

Very similar to my list. I find that you do want one big unit of evos. Try get one unit to 10 and maybe drop 5 seqs... 
Another thing, the phalanx's empower only works on 2 seq units. I run 2 x 10 seqs to get the best chances of empower and other buffs. my 3rd battle line is 5 seqs

image.png.a5e1740a02a8965662a37c36fc43a926.png

I was thinking about Hysh too. Did you tryed this list? Pros Cons? Match ups? 

I've done a 2 days event this weekend ending 3 -2 with this list. Last game I've played bad and had bad luck, so I could have won the last one. Anyway, I've found a bad match up (DoK - 90 Witches) the third which was authomatically lost cause he won the initiative the second turn. 

As the meta seen, I would have changed evocators + weaver with desolators.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
LEADERS
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Allies
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Artefact : Soulthief
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer : Translocation
UNITS
3 x Aetherwings (50)
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (510)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1 x Grandblades
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
TOTAL: 1950/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 109
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 100/400

Hidden Agendas:
Invade
Slay
Seize
Centre Ground
Retake
Conserve

Edited by Raffonerd

28 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Ballistae.

I have room in my list for 3 but no Ordinator. Are they ever worth taking without the LO? Or just a constant source of disappointment?

Really only find 3 or 4 ballistae with ordinator worth while. but thats at least 470 to 580 pts and when you get neat 500pts you need to build around that

10 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I see!

Are they worth taking even with the LO?

What is the best ranged support option for non-Anvilstrike Stormcast at the moment?

3 with LordO is ok, 4 is better,  after my games on saturday I am even more convinced that overkilling something is way more important then not killing it at all.

5 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I see!

Are they worth taking even with the LO?

What is the best ranged support option for non-Anvilstrike Stormcast at the moment?

I'm thinking 20 arkanauts and Chemist, they deal less damage than 3 ballistae, but have better range and will actually be able to hit small heroes with look out sir

They also have big footprint and pistols. Still not great, but it's something