AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

What are people’s thoughts on this list? Could swap out 5x libs for heraldor or another ballista 

I think you're a bit too low on model count and countercharge threat. If something big and nasty like a Terrorgheist gets into your lines, you're in for a bad time. Maybe find a way to bulk the 10 Sequitors to 20?

8 minutes ago, Wopple said:

So I've played a few games with my list, and I was wondering if ya'll could take a look and critique?

I have the general and dracoline units on the field to start, and I bring the sequitor 10 man unit down with the ballistas later to pummel choice targets, or nab objectives.

I would consider putting the Dracovators into one unit, they're much easier to buff and hit with that way. You lose a bit of splitting up power, but the potential gain in smash damage is quite noteworthy. Phalanx isn't worth it in this setup, imo, it's much better when you have big units of Evos and/or Sequitors being buddy buddy together.

4 minutes ago, Nos said:

Fun as hell but stop making me think having another Stardrake is an acceptable and financially mature decision to make please

More Stardrakes!

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I think you're a bit too low on model count and countercharge threat. If something big and nasty like a Terrorgheist gets into your lines, you're in for a bad time. Maybe find a way to bulk the 10 Sequitors to 20?

I would consider putting the Dracovators into one unit, they're much easier to buff and hit with that way. You lose a bit of splitting up power, but the potential gain in smash damage is quite noteworthy. Phalanx isn't worth it in this setup, imo, it's much better when you have big units of Evos and/or Sequitors being buddy buddy together.

More Stardrakes!

Cool that was one alternative maybe take judicators out and make up to 20 sequiturs 

20 minutes ago, Requizen said:

So one of the thoughts related to the current meta:

There's a lot of lists out there that are running double big monsters, which works quite well since one big monster or unit (like a singular Stardrake) can get out of position or split up by opponents flanking. Two monsters can threaten a large portion of the board and force your opponent to split up and react. So here's a stupid army:

Drakesworn Templar - General, Staunch, Ignax, Keen Clawed
Drakesworn Templar - Ethereal Amulet, Keen Clawed
Incantor - Azyrite Halo
Incantor - Azyrite Halo

Liberators
Liberators
Liberators
Judicators
Judicators

Thunderhead Brotherhood

1980/2000

Now, I haven't tested it and it for sure isn't optimized, but I think the idea of a double Templar build might actually be worth considering. They're very much not as good as the Lord Celestant versions, but they are cheaper so fitting two isn't that big of a deal. The Battalion is nothing special, but it is a relatively cheap way to get the second artifact on the Stardrakes considering it only needs 2 extra Battlelines. Could probably swap one Incantor for a Castellant or Heraldor, but either way.

Now, Templars aren't the most killy things in the game, but they are pretty stalwart (especially if you can chuck Mystic Shield on one of them) and the Rain of Stars can be quite powerful. The main downside is bodies - most of the double monster lists are in armies where those monsters can be supplemented by cheap, replenishable bodies (Death, Seraphon, etc). A version of this that drops the Battalion and Judis but takes 20 Sequitors could be pretty nice as well, but then you lose one Artifact which is pretty harsh. 

Can't take Ignax and Ethereal Amulet in the same list

I think Drakesworn + Dracoth squad is better than 2x Drakesworn. You can drop the crappy battalion and add a Castellant & Heraldor to support the Dracoths. 6x Fulminators with full buffs (staunch, azyrite, blades, castellant, heraldor) is really terrifying - they might be the only thing that can stand up to Anvilstrike.

Slot in a ballista core and you've got a fairly competitive list.

Unfortunately the list is just a little bit too expensive right now... Im hoping to see point drops for Drakesworn and all kinds of Dracoths in GHB19.

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Can't take Ignax and Ethereal Amulet in the same list

I think Drakesworn + Dracoth squad is better than 2x Drakesworn. You can drop the crappy battalion and add a Castellant & Heraldor to support the Dracoths. 6x Fulminators with full buffs (staunch, azyrite, blades, castellant, heraldor) is really terrifying - they might be the only thing that can stand up to Anvilstrike.

Slot in a ballista core and you've got a fairly competitive list.

Unfortunately the list is just a little bit too expensive right now... Im hoping to see point drops for Drakesworn and all kinds of Dracoths in GHB19.

Derp, you're right on the artifacts. Probably not worth it then for the Battalion. 

I think pretty much everything Extremis is too expensive atm, sucks that they really were pushing Sacrosanct in GHB2018. Templar going down was nice, but it still feels way too much for what it does in the army. Maybe you could bring 2 in a mixed Order list, however.

Just now, stus67 said:

What's the most effective way to use aetherwings?

Block enemy charges or steal objectives in the enemy turn.

At the start of the charge phase you can move them 2d6 in any direction - if you put them just within 3" of  an enemy unit they can no longer declare a charge.

3 hours ago, Requizen said:

Derp, you're right on the artifacts. Probably not worth it then for the Battalion. 

I think pretty much everything Extremis is too expensive atm, sucks that they really were pushing Sacrosanct in GHB2018. Templar going down was nice, but it still feels way too much for what it does in the army. Maybe you could bring 2 in a mixed Order list, however.

Now these lists are my jam! I bought 2 more stardrakes and I wanna try:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

The idea is you eat things and rain stars.

I haven't got much further than that strategically.

• LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Now these lists are my jam! I bought 2 more stardrakes and I wanna try:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Storm Lance
Drakesworn Templar (460)
- Tempest Axe
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

The idea is you eat things and rain stars.

I haven't got much further than that strategically.

I wonder if at that point you don't just go triple Templar for Drakesworn Temple. Have to lose the Skinks, but then you get the extra Artifact and general amusement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I wonder if at that point you don't just go triple Templar for Drakesworn Temple. Have to lose the Skinks, but then you get the extra Artifact and general amusement.

I really like the LCoSD though but I may magnetise the old LCoSD I built and add a templar rider to try out the Temple

Nova Surge could be pretty impactful in certain circumstances.

So i've been wanting to make a semi competitive list around dracolines. I tried to make it focus on battleshocking, fast mobility and a possible turn 1 or 2 charge depending on the enemy deployment. I'm not sure about what the best way is to distribute weapons in an Evocator unit on Dracoline unit, so if anyone has some tips on that it would be very appreciated. I also would like to know what you would put on the prime of the pack. Anyways this was the list I came up with:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Man of Mystery
Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline (240)
- General
- Trait: Deathly Aura
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
- Artefact: Soulthief
- Lore of the Storm: Azyrite Halo

Freeguild General on Griffon (260)
- Sigmarite Greathammer 
- Shield

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls
- 5 x Stormsmite Greatmace

5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls
- 3 x Stormsmite Greatmace

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- Grandhammer

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
- 3 x Grandstaves(not sure about this and if to put one on a prime)
- Lore of Invigoration: Terrifying Aspect
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Endless Spells:
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra CP: 1
Allies: 260 / 400
Wounds: 110

Any feedback would be appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Had my first run in with Skarbrand yesterday with a casual non-optimised list and not understanding how he works. 

Won’t be doing that again.  He’s one nasty one trick pony. An easy fix with Gav and a unit of Sequitors or Evocators but was a chastening and highly educational experience.

I remain amazed at the capacity for a unit of 10 Sequitors to quite easily dispatch a greater demon. 

Despite Skars 16 MW  fun the real thing that soured the experience for me was that we were playing Relication Orb. Man is that a dumb scenario.  I’m not saying there aren’t ways to effectively play it etc but it’s inherently silly. 

Also those non-Spells sure as hell seemed like Spells to me. The spells that can’t be dispelled and you get two attempts to cast. Khorne Sold out man. 

Edited by Nos
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Since I like Strike Chambers and about to start repainting my SCE, I'd like to know what old battalions people still use? (Not looking for any competetive advice, just think it may be fun to share some thoughts on good old classic)
Personally I'll be painting VW for a 1000 pts list with 10 double hammer libs :D

Hi All! I'm new to the hobby, on a budget, and loving the look and flavor of our favorite heavily armored warrior bros. As a new painter as well as burgeoning hobbyist, SCEs seem like a great place to start. I'm already scouring ebay and my local store for models, but I wanted some frank advice. I'm a competitive person by nature, and while my goal is not to make the cheapest "tournament" list, it is to make a list that can win some games when I start playing. I am looking for recommendations about lords/heroes to work with what I have.

My models so far;

-Knight Incantor (140)

-Lord Celestant on Dracoth (240 IIRC)

-30 Liberators (520)

-3 Castigators (80) 

-5 Sequitors (120)

-1 Celestar Ballista (100)

-2 Evocators (5 is 200 points, I'm looking for the extra 3 on ebay)

Any advice for a new player, recommendations for pickups, or general tactical advice about SCE in AOS is welcome.

TL:DR: what elites, lords and heros  compliment a liberator heavy army core?

6 minutes ago, Imprudent_Jurist said:

TL:DR: what elites, lords and heros  compliment a liberator heavy army core?

Welcome fellow Celestant!

Number one priority is Lord Castellant, never leave home without this guy making your 30 double-wounded shielded warriors roughly 19% more survivable

Any PRIEST or Knight Vexillor for redeployment (where Vex adds some speed, Veritant gives you a Gryph hound and some way of hurting enemy Wizards, as well as Dispell and Relictor debuffs enemies and heals heroes)

Any PRIEST or Lord Celestant on Dracoth or Lord Ordinator for managing battleshock (Both priests perform same rolls as above, but take different prayer, two Lords having fearless bubble) (any other hero will do as well)

Sequitors for attack buff and being offencive monsters themselves, other Wizards for Azyrite Halo spell (and dispells!)

Some shooting to blast foes from afar whille Libs tank it or fast units such as Dracolines or Dracoths to go through opponent's flanks into the rear. 

Also you can always go for MORE redeemer conclave tankiness by taking 20 sequitors that won't have as bad damage output.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XReN said:

Welcome fellow Celestant!

Number one priority is Lord Castellant, never leave home without this guy making your 30 double-wounded shielded warriors roughly 19% more survivable

Any PRIEST or Knight Vexillor for redeployment (where Vex adds some speed, Veritant gives you a Gryph hound and some way of hurting enemy Wizards, as well as Dispell and Relictor debuffs enemies and heals heroes)

Any PRIEST or Lord Celestant on Dracoth or Lord Ordinator for managing battleshock (Both priests perform same rolls as above, but take different prayer, two Lords having fearless bubble) (any other hero will do as well)

Sequitors for attack buff and being offencive monsters themselves, other Wizards for Azyrite Halo spell (and dispells!)

Some shooting to blast foes from afar whille Libs tank it or fast units such as Dracolines or Dracoths to go through opponent's flanks into the rear. 

Also you can always go for MORE redeemer conclave tankiness by taking 20 sequitors that won't have as bad damage output.

Thanks for the advice! Would you recommend going for a big blob of sequitors, or more paladins? Lord Castellant is definitely next on the list

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Since I like Strike Chambers and about to start repainting my SCE, I'd like to know what old battalions people still use? (Not looking for any competetive advice, just think it may be fun to share some thoughts on good old classic)
Personally I'll be painting VW for a 1000 pts list with 10 double hammer libs :D

I'm going with this for my next tournament - mostly Strike chamber, with a couple of Sacrosanct add-ons...

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Mindlock Staff
- Spell: Thundershock

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warblade & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces

Units
5 x Decimators (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AdamR said:

I'm going with this for my next tournament - mostly Strike chamber, with a couple of Sacrosanct add-ons...

That's great. I was trying to come up with a Slayers list last night and just couldn't make it work. Gonna have to steal this and give it a go. Love the extra CPs for the Celestant assassination.

1 minute ago, Roark said:

That's great. I was trying to come up with a Slayers list last night and just couldn't make it work. Gonna have to steal this and give it a go. Love the extra CPs for the Celestant assassination.

Oh hai Mr ethereal VLoZD hold these 17 mortal wounds for me!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Imprudent_Jurist said:

Thanks for the advice! Would you recommend going for a big blob of sequitors, or more paladins? Lord Castellant is definitely next on the list

Get your castellant, build evocators up to 5 and go play some games, you need to understand what is used in local meta to build a strong list around  units that you like.

Edited by XReN

18 hours ago, AdamR said:

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
Lord-Celestant (100)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Mindlock Staff