AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys, brand new player with 3 games now under my belt with my stormcast. I have 2 sets of the soul wars army and an ordinator as well. I'm curious to what you guys would run at 1000 points and then a path to build towards for 2000 points. I can run 2000 points already but I'm thinking of dropping the castigators, replacing evos with mounted evos. What opinions do you guys have on that? One guy I played ran dinos with summoning, another player was KO with heavy range. The dinos were not a real problem but the KOs at 1000 points was a problem for me.

Any and all opinions I would love to hear!

7 hours ago, Talunus said:

Hey guys, brand new player with 3 games now under my belt with my stormcast. I have 2 sets of the soul wars army and an ordinator as well. I'm curious to what you guys would run at 1000 points and then a path to build towards for 2000 points. I can run 2000 points already but I'm thinking of dropping the castigators, replacing evos with mounted evos. What opinions do you guys have on that? One guy I played ran dinos with summoning, another player was KO with heavy range. The dinos were not a real problem but the KOs at 1000 points was a problem for me.

What was the KO player running?  And what kind of playstyle are you interested in the most? 

For a new player I would personally always advise rule of cool. Especially with stormcast as it has so many options to build decent to very good lists for every playstyle. 

10 hours ago, Talunus said:

I played two 1000 point games vs new Khorne over the weekend with this:

Kill everything list:

Lord Ordinator (General) 

Battleline:

1 X 5 Judicators

1 x 5 Liberators

Other:

1 x 10 Evocators (or split as you wish)

2 x Celestar Ballista

1000 points

Missile units will neutralise pretty much any threat at that level and the Evocators will do the same. Not likely to be much left that can shift Judicators or Liberators from objectives while also avoiding the wrath of the Evos and Ballistae. You can just string the Evos out in a big line which I would otherwise never recommend but with their Electric attack bonus at 1000 points they’re basically Jellyfish tentacles.

It’s also 69  (chuckle) wounds behind an army save of base 4 and 3+. 

I went without any Stormhost but in hindsight that was dumb because the general wasn’t anywhere near anyone to give SD because he was buffing the Ballistae. So for real overkill could go for one of them. 

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

What was the KO player running?  And what kind of playstyle are you interested in the most? 

For a new player I would personally always advise rule of cool. Especially with stormcast as it has so many options to build decent to very good lists for every playstyle. 

He had a large 20 unit of half shooters half stabbies, a unit of 6 floater guys and a chemist that buffed them. I definitely want to run a mix of shoot/missile but there isn't a good balance at 1000 point then I'm not sure. I just want to be able to hold my own against most meta since most people have already collected good armies.

2 hours ago, Nos said:

I played two 1000 point games vs new Khorne over the weekend with this:

Kill everything list:

Lord Ordinator (General) 

Battleline:

1 X 5 Judicators

1 x 5 Liberators

Other:

1 x 10 Evocators (or split as you wish)

2 x Celestar Ballista

1000 points

Missile units will neutralise pretty much any threat at that level and the Evocators will do the same. Not likely to be much left that can shift Judicators or Liberators from objectives while also avoiding the wrath of the Evos and Ballistae. You can just string the Evos out in a big line which I would otherwise never recommend but with their Electric attack bonus at 1000 points they’re basically Jellyfish tentacles.

It’s also 69  (chuckle) wounds behind an army save of base 4 and 3+. 

I went without any Stormhost but in hindsight that was dumb because the general wasn’t anywhere near anyone to give SD because he was buffing the Ballistae. So for real overkill could go for one of them. 

Since I have a lot of sequitors right now I definitely want to keep them on the field but I'd need arcanum to battle line them. I'm definitely looking at more evocators possibly but I'd have to drop any range at that point I believe. I'm not too sure which is why I'm asking you guys!

5 minutes ago, Talunus said:

He had a large 20 unit of half shooters half stabbies,

Do you mean he equipped them all with special weapons? The pikes & skyhooks (the guns that do D3 damage) are limited to three special weapons per 10. 

43 minutes ago, Talunus said:

He had a large 20 unit of half shooters half stabbies, a unit of 6 floater guys and a chemist that buffed them. I definitely want to run a mix of shoot/missile but there isn't a good balance at 1000 point then I'm not sure. I just want to be able to hold my own against most meta since most people have already collected good armies.

Since I have a lot of sequitors right now I definitely want to keep them on the field but I'd need arcanum to battle line them. I'm definitely looking at more evocators possibly but I'd have to drop any range at that point I believe. I'm not too sure which is why I'm asking you guys!

Arcanum 

Lord Ordinator

10 Sequitors

2 x 5 Sequitors

2 x Ballista

Very solid list. 

If you don’t have the Arcanum on foot don’t worry, just proxy in another Sacrosanct Hero (Exorcist, Incantor, Evocator) . Few people are dumb enough to buy a Tauralon for the sake of one figure on foot. 

As someone else has said Arkanauts shouldn’t be a 50/50 split. Max special weapons in a unit of 20 is 6 (3 for every 10).

Edited by Nos

37 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Do you mean he equipped them all with special weapons? The pikes & skyhooks (the guns that do D3 damage) are limited to three special weapons per 10. 

Yes, with the 20 he probably was just shooting with 6 and it was the d3 that blasted me.

5 minutes ago, Nos said:

Arcanum 

Lord Ordinator

10 Sequitors

2 x 5 Sequitors

2 x Ballista

Very solid list. 

If you don’t have the Arcanum on foot don’t worry, just proxy in another Sacrosanct Hero (Exorcist, Incantor, Evocator) . Few people are dumb enough to buy a Tauralon for the sake of one figure on foot. 

As someone else has said Arkanauts shouldn’t be a 50/50 split. Max special weapons in a unit of 20 is 6 (3 for every 10).

Only problem with the list you provided is i would need to have arcanum to run the sequitors. I only have one of gryph charger but I'll look at getting one on foot. I'm assuming the 10 sequitors would be split into 5s in order to maintain the 2 minimum battleline?

9 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Yes, with the 20 he probably was just shooting with 6 and it was the d3 that blasted me.

Only problem with the list you provided is i would need to have arcanum to run the sequitors. I only have one of gryph charger but I'll look at getting one on foot. I'm assuming the 10 sequitors would be split into 5s in order to maintain the 2 minimum battleline?

Sorry it’s 1 x 10, and 2 x 5. 20 in total.  3 units so exceeds Battleline requirements. If you have the models the unit of 5 should have 3 Greatmaces each (always give one to the Prime)  and the unit of 10 should have 5. If you cast Azyrite Halo on whichever unit you expect to get shot at the most you’ll inflict a mortal wound back st whoever shot you on a save of a 6. Factor in the re-rolls for having a shield if if it’s the Sequitors and it’s a nasty proposition. If you take Staunch Defender you’ll also be saving  most things on a 3 or 4 and with Cycle of the Storm you can more or less resurrect a model per turn so you shouldn’t be too hurt from shooting.

Do you not have the Knight Incantor from Soul Wars? Most people use that for an Arcanum on foot. Her and the other Knight Incantor (bald guy) can be got on EBay for a couple of pounds each.

Also what did you take last time and what was your strategy? That’s as important as your list.

Edited by Nos

19 minutes ago, Nos said:

Sorry it’s 1 x 10, and 2 x 5. 20 in total.  3 units so exceeds Battleline requirements. If you have the models the unit of 5 should have 3 Greatmaces each (always give one to the Prime)  and the unit of 10 should have 5. If you cast Azyrite Halo on whichever unit you expect to get shot at the most you’ll inflict a mortal wound back st whoever shot you on a save of a 6. Factor in the re-rolls for having a shield if if it’s the Sequitors and it’s a nasty proposition. If you take Staunch Defender you’ll also be saving  most things on a 3 or 4 and with Cycle of the Storm you can more or less resurrect a model per turn so you shouldn’t be too hurt from shooting.

Do you not have the Knight Incantor from Soul Wars? Most people use that for an Arcanum on foot. Her and the other Knight Incantor (bald guy) can be got on EBay for a couple of pounds each.

Also what did you take last time and what was your strategy? That’s as important as your list.

Aah ok makes sense. I do have 2 knight incantors! I'll do a build list and see if I can fit them all together on a unit.

So i have a 'thematic' Vanguard army half-build. Thematic in the sense that it is driven by visuals and the idea 'play what you like/have'. Still I wonder how to do the raptors. With Hurricanes I could fit in five more Hunters that I have (unbuild) for a total of 1980 total or buy 3 more Hurricanes for 2000 total. With Longstrikes I end up with 60 free pts. What could I add? I do not have the endless spells and doubt that anything might be super complementary to this army.

Suggestion most welcome!

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender  
- Mount Trait: Wind Runner
Lord-Arcanum (180)
- Scrolls of Power (Artefact): Storm Scroll
- Spell: Stormcaller

BattlelineBattleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

Units
9 x Vanguard-Palladors (600)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Lord-Arcanum (180)

Battleline

Units
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (420)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 136

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Lord-Arcanum (180)

Battleline
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (240)

Units
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 140

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine
  • Like 1

Ok thinking of this as a 1000 army.

Allegiance : Hammers of Sigmar

Lord Arcanum on gryph charger (forced artifact) (wind runner trait) 

5 x sequitors

5 x Judicators 

10 x evocators (or run as 2x5)

My thoughts on this is to run the two battle lines to get objectives. The evocators will handle the smack down on the major heroes and with arcanum wind running to help the battle lines as well as the evocators. 

Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Ok thinking of this as a 1000 army.

Allegiance : Hammers of Sigmar

Lord Arcanum on gryph charger (forced artifact) (wind runner trait) 

5 x sequitors

5 x Judicators 

10 x evocators (or run as 2x5)

My thoughts on this is to run the two battle lines to get objectives. The evocators will handle the smack down on the major heroes and with arcanum wind running to help the battle lines as well as the evocators. 

Thoughts?

The Lord Arcanum on Gryph shines with lots of Sequitors. He’s a buffing unit who enhances Sequitors especially. He’s expensive for what he is otherwise. Keep him out of fights unless it’s to kamikaze in with crystals, he’s not a great fighter. Also keep him  within 1” of a unit or expect to get shot easy. 

You've got 80 points left so if you’re wanting to run with list that take 3  Castigators for value.

Your list isn’t bad at all but the Arcanum is a heavy tax. Especially when you’re only taking 5 Sequitors. You could take a Knight Incantor and 10 Liberators/5 Liberators and another hero for 20 points less than that combination.

If you’re running against solid opposition lists you want to compete against then 360 points for a LA and 5 Sequitors is a poor return.

Edited by Nos

Hey guys, I going to play a 1500pts tournament this weekend and I am still unsure which list to take. Meta will most likely be DoK,  skaven and maybe mixed order. 

The first list is a anvil list, which has alot of killing power but suffers object wise and is pretty fragile. 

The second one is a stardrake list with the game plan of taking one objective with the most of hero roster while blocking one objective with the comet. The rest of the army will be contesting whatever is left. While being tanky it suffers mostly from the low damage output.

Would like to hear what's the better list to bring, maybe you can help me figure this out!

(I'm also not very experienced in playing tournaments, so I don't know which army traits are better suited for that environment) 

1500pts1.pdf

1500pts2.pdf

7 hours ago, Fyre said:

Hey guys, I going to play a 1500pts tournament this weekend and I am still unsure which list to take. Meta will most likely be DoK,  skaven and maybe mixed order. 

The first list is a anvil list, which has alot of killing power but suffers object wise and is pretty fragile. 

The second one is a stardrake list with the game plan of taking one objective with the most of hero roster while blocking one objective with the comet. The rest of the army will be contesting whatever is left. While being tanky it suffers mostly from the low damage output.

Would like to hear what's the better list to bring, maybe you can help me figure this out!

(I'm also not very experienced in playing tournaments, so I don't know which army traits are better suited for that environment) 

1500pts1.pdf

1500pts2.pdf

Disclosure; I'm not tournament player. I think you got a good idea of the strengths of both lists. My guess, based on what you think you'll see? The Stardrake list feels better, imo. DoK and Skaven have tons of really big, really strong units, and I'm not sure the Anvilstrike list can really deal with them. Fighting Nagash and the like, Anvilstrike sounds much better? But huge killy hordes just sound so hard to deal with imo. Plus like, the Stardrake really does look cool.

9 hours ago, jaebird said:

Disclosure; I'm not tournament player. I think you got a good idea of the strengths of both lists. My guess, based on what you think you'll see? The Stardrake list feels better, imo. DoK and Skaven have tons of really big, really strong units, and I'm not sure the Anvilstrike list can really deal with them. Fighting Nagash and the like, Anvilstrike sounds much better? But huge killy hordes just sound so hard to deal with imo. Plus like, the Stardrake really does look cool.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, anvil struggles against hordes. But I don't really know the new skaven. Don't they play with multiple big and important units (bell, thanqoul, vermin king and lords)? 

Stardrake with halo excels against horde tho, so I guess it's the way to go. 

Is it right that in a tournament setting its more important to claim and hold the objectives rather than trying to table the enemy? 

3 minutes ago, Fyre said:

Yeah that's what I thought as well, anvil struggles against hordes. But I don't really know the new skaven. Don't they play with multiple big and important units (bell, thanqoul, vermin king and lords)? 

Stardrake with halo excels against horde tho, so I guess it's the way to go. 

Is it right that in a tournament setting its more important to claim and hold the objectives rather than trying to table the enemy? 

I think the most competitive Skaven lists are focused around Plague Monks; huge blocks of them seem to be the way to go. I'm not familiar with Thanquol, so I can't really say, but forty Plague Monks with a ton of attacks each seem like a real threat.

Yeah, almost every tournament I've read about uses the matched play scenarios, which all focus on objectives (I think units killed count as tiebreakers in some). It can be a little difficult for Stormcast to compete against really large horde based armies, but sometimes you just gotta get lucky with pairings.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, Okonomiyakimarine said:

So i have a 'thematic' Vanguard army half-build. Thematic in the sense that it is driven by visuals and the idea 'play what you like/have'. Still I wonder how to do the raptors. With Hurricanes I could fit in five more Hunters that I have (unbuild) for a total of 1980 total or buy 3 more Hurricanes for 2000 total. With Longstrikes I end up with 60 free pts. What could I add? I do not have the endless spells and doubt that anything might be super complementary to this army.

Suggestion most welcome!

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Lord-Arcanum (180)

BattlelineBattleline

Units
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 130

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Lord-Arcanum (180)

Battleline

Units
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (420)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 136

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
Lord-Arcanum (180)

Battleline
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (240)

Units
6 x Aetherwings (100)
6 x Gryph-Hounds (140)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (280)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 140

For the first list wouldn't a Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger rather than on foot perfectly fill that 60 pt gap, and match the look of the rest of your army?

As they're a soul wars model you can pick them up cheap too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I really want to start a Stormcast Eternals army, but I hate how I can't properly model a Knights Excelsior army since everything has the hammer symbol on them.

Yep, same here for Tempest Lords.  I just went with a slightly fluffed 'the Sacrosanct are guardians in Azyr so have the Azyr hammer symbol because they dont live/stay/hang-out with the rest of the host in their Stormcastle/keep' kind of story.