AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

20 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

I'm fully of the opinion id be taking 10 man units even they wernt battline. they are that good in my opinion.

in fact i even take them still when I'm messing about with a king general and have access to eel battleline .

they are critical to IDK regardless of battle line restrictions

That's a fair point. My only comment would be that there have been plenty of eel spam lists without Thralls that have performed well at tournaments.

The 10 man unit isn't too bad. It pack a lot of punch for 10 guys and you neve have to worry about them stepping on their own toes.

Out side of that morrsarr or ishlaen can do most of the heavy lifting. Alot of times thralls sont get to start swinging till turn 2, and turn 3 you want to buff an alpha squad of ishlaen or morrsarr. 

So thralls are abit weird, but not tax because in a punch 10 thralls can put 8 wounds on something if you need them too, and dont fo poor when buffed by king. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, valenswift said:

Had my second battle using IDK as part of a Firestorm campaign and I've managed to win again :)

I had 1100 points to my Ironjawz opponents 1200 so I think i did pretty well, we played the Total Commitment battleplan.

I got lucky in that one of his objectives was in a goomtide shipwreck so he refused to take it in fear of taking mortals on his Brutes.

I don't understand why people freak out so much when facing a gloomtide shipwreck

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

People tend to avoid mortal wounds at all costs, even if its not likely they will suffer much from them.  The nice thing for us is if you know that you can use your ship to bully them around the board and off objectives.

While this is a nice tactic, it will only work at lower skill levels as higher level play the players will likely realize few wounds worth points that win the game. It's the same in Malifaux when people focus on killing over schemes and strategies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newsun said:

While this is a nice tactic, it will only work at lower skill levels as higher level play the players will likely realize few wounds worth points that win the game. It's the same in Malifaux when people focus on killing over schemes and strategies.

It still works at higher skill levels as well, its less effective but still works.  If you give someone the option of hitting a unit in a shipwreck where they can take mortals and hit a unit with a ward save or they can go after this similar unit that isnt that well protected they tend to hit the unprotected one.  

There are a lot more variables involved but it can still help with board control regardless of skill level.

1 hour ago, Drofnum said:

It still works at higher skill levels as well, its less effective but still works.  If you give someone the option of hitting a unit in a shipwreck where they can take mortals and hit a unit with a ward save or they can go after this similar unit that isnt that well protected they tend to hit the unprotected one.  

There are a lot more variables involved but it can still help with board control regardless of skill level.

It's certainly a useful tool for board control. Just keep in mind the better player will ultimately look at what will win them the game and expend troops to do so. It does not matter if you have only 1 guy left on the table if you have more victory points when the game ends.

8 hours ago, newsun said:

It's certainly a useful tool for board control. Just keep in mind the better player will ultimately look at what will win them the game and expend troops to do so. It does not matter if you have only 1 guy left on the table if you have more victory points when the game ends.

While this I'd also true the better ID player will also use the ship wrecks to screen the board to make them more powerful even outside of mortal wound production.

8 hours ago, mmimzie said:

While this I'd also true the better ID player will also use the ship wrecks to screen the board to make them more powerful even outside of mortal wound production.

I always have seen them mostly for the board control and everything else is gravy.

Hi all,

had anyone out there any success with non-eel lists? Reason is I don´t want to be a mainstream guy, but I´m pretty interested in Deepkin. I like the Thralls and Eidolons from a modelling / painting perspective and just wonder wether this would be any good.

I´m not looking for tournament hotness, instead I´m looking for some fun casual games on a semi competetive level.

6 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

aftet the faq the shipwrecks  aren't allowed to be deployed anywhere near objectives 

They have to be 6 inches away. A lot of the objectives are held by models within 6 so you can easily stay in the bubble, even the 3 inch ones are pretty easy to stay in the bubble. 

As for enemies you just try to get them blocking the objective in some way. Honestly the rules didn't change much with how I played them, we all knew it was going to change with how every other placable scenery works. 

6 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

had anyone out there any success with non-eel lists? Reason is I don´t want to be a mainstream guy, but I´m pretty interested in Deepkin. I like the Thralls and Eidolons from a modelling / painting perspective and just wonder wether this would be any good.

I´m not looking for tournament hotness, instead I´m looking for some fun casual games on a semi competetive level.

I think casually you could win some games with a thrall list but I'd keep the thrall numbers lower like 30-50 max as they very quickly start stepping on each others toes in an annoying way.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, Mark Williams said:

He’s bringing them onto a table edge via soulscryer. Local player in my area does almost exact same area except 2 units of morsar and volturnos. He spends first three turns getting cogs onto the board, then the unit hits turn 3 with +5 to charge, uses eel flight to hop past blocking units, daisy chain into the heart of your army then apply 12 eels worth of mortal wounds to the bed stuff in your army, then volturnos blows 3cps and they kill whatever is left.

Eel squad size is irrelevant. It’s just a brute force game over move most of the time. The only counter is attempting to kill whatever is on the board by turn 2, and also spreading out so that you don’t lose too much when the wrecking ball hits. Highly mobile, alpha strike, horde armies, with extremely high damage output have the best chance to counter. Not many of those...

Was doing some back ready, and what??  

Can't you only use the command ability in your hero phase and the eels can only drop down at the end of the movement phase.   Meaning those eels would have to hit the table turn 2. Maybe his post Is just misleadingly written. 

Its definitely doable. I know I love me some eel bomb. Just the way that was written confuses me.