AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

Yeah, sorry, I did mean Tree Revenants. I somewhat called the Spite Revenant 'Spites' for myself and remembered the others as 'Revenants'. Sorry for the confusion.

So would you think that a Harvestboon Alpga Strike Melee Build with an Arch Revenant and Kurnoth Hunters could have play in a more casual environment against enemies like Stormcast Eternals or Slaves to Darkness?

You can certainly try something like that.  Probably some sort of list like this:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Harvestboon
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Arch-Revenant (105)
- General
- Command Trait: Seek New Fruit
- Artefact: The Silent Sickle
Branchwraith (95)
Warsong Revenant (275)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
20 x Dryads (190)
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (430)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (225)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (225)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
Drops: 10

Is this the best list?  Nope.  I certainly wouldn't look to run it competitively.  However, if your goal is to run a bunch of hunters and get the most out of them, it is probably where I would start.  The big question for me would be more which hero should be the general, whether you want a revenant or a treelord ancient, whether you want the block of 20 dryads, or just more tree revenants instead.  The next question is whether or not to keep the melee focus on the kurnoths, or whether additional units of hunters should be swapped for more greatbows.  Finally, battalions are open - want to run a battle regiment?  This can be a 3 drop list.  Warlord + hunters?  Its an available option.  Etc.

• LOVE IT! 1

13 hours ago, readercolin said:

You can certainly try something like that.  Probably some sort of list like this:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Arch-Revenant (105)
- General
Branchwraith (95)
Warsong Revenant (275)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
20 x Dryads (190)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Is this the best list?  Nope.  I certainly wouldn't look to run it competitively.  However, if your goal is to run a bunch of hunters and get the most out of them, it is probably where I would start.  The big question for me would be more which hero should be the general, whether you want a revenant or a treelord ancient, whether you want the block of 20 dryads, or just more tree revenants instead.  The next question is whether or not to keep the melee focus on the kurnoths, or whether additional units of hunters should be swapped for more greatbows.  Finally, battalions are open - want to run a battle regiment?  This can be a 3 drop list.  Warlord + hunters?  Its an available option.  Etc.

Those are a lot of questions which I, with my very limited understanding of the faction, ca.'t answer. 😅 

But it certainly looks really fun, and it does feature models I like the look of. What would be the case for Dryads vs Tree Revenants, and vice versa? And how could you boil a list like that down to, say, a 1000 points, so that I could slowly build up? 5 boxes of Hunters alone are quite the steep Investment.  

Edited by Maogrim

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Those are a lot of questions which I, with my very limited understanding of the faction, ca.'t answer. 😅 

But it certainly looks really fun, and it does feature models I like the look of. What would be the case for Dryads vs Tree Revenants, and vice versa? And how could you boil a list like that down to, say, a 1000 points, so that I could slowly build up? 5 boxes of Hunters alone are quite the steep Investment.  

Based on the list @readercolin suggested, you could try something like this for a 1000 points:

- Grand Strategy:

- Triumphs:

Leaders

Branchwraith (95)

Arch-Revenant (105)

- General

- Command Trait: Seek New Fruit

- Artefact: The Silent Sickle

Battleline

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

20 x Dryads (190)

- Reinforced x 1

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Units

6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (430)

- Reinforced x 1

Total: 980 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 70

Drops: 6

It should give you a little bit of everything from his list, except a strong caster (the warsong). The hunters can be swords if you prefer (it let's you make pressure in more than one place with 2 units, but a unit of 6 should make better use of the Arch rev command). About buying everything, just be ware that you gonna need at least 10 extra dryads (a little more would be better) to summon with the Branchwraith. With that in mind, you could get a start collect and use a generic treelord in the place of the 20 dryads and leave those for summoning.

About dryads vs tree revs, dryads cover more ground and are more resilient while they are near a wood + have 10 models or more. This make them a better screen. The tree revs have more utility thanks to the teleport. They warp your opponent game plan by been a teleporting treat that they need to be aware. As we can summon dryads, tree revs are generally preferred as they have more utility. However, a unit of dryads isn't useless if you need a screen a better screen to protect you during the first turn and/or what to have more bodies for the objective play and don't want to relay on a spell cast to get it.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Maogrim said:

@Arzalyn made a number of good points, and I would also recommend the list that he posted as a starting point for a 1k list that wants to go heavy on hunters.

For the other questions.  Dryads vs tree revenants.  Tree revenants are harrassers.  You bring them because it makes getting some battle tactics fairly easy, and it forces your opponent to hold back rather than committing everything.  However, they are too weak to really fight through much in the way of resistance.  Dryads on the other hand are a more traditional screening/objective grabbing unit.  Take a squad of 10 of them and you can toss them on an objective and they'll hold for a while - especially if it is near trees.  They aren't going to be able to hold against a big hammer unit, but they are resilient enough that if your opponent wants to take an objective from you, they have to actually commit.  Additionally, they have more board presence, screen better, and basically are just a different role.  Most lists I would actually look to run significantly more dryads, except that you basically always want to bring a Branchwraith because that can summon squads of 10 dryads with her warscroll spell, meaning you can effectively get an extra 40 dryads most games with her.

Next up, on the hunters.  Look into Magnetizing them if you haven't tried magnetizing before (I am not aware of how easy/hard magnetizing the hunters would be as I haven't built any myself yet), as that would let you build all 3 variants out of a single box and switch between them without having to go out and buy a ton of boxes of hunters.  This means that if you want to try a 15 bow hunter list, you can do so, and then the next game you can swap back to try 5 squads of swords, or 2 reinforced squads of scythes and a unit of bow hunters, etc.

Finally, the questions about who to make general, what battalions to take, what spells to take, what additional artefacts to take, etc.  Luckily for you - you don't have to commit.  Build the army, test some things, and figure out what works for you.  The list I provided can be a 2 drop list with double battle regiment, and you can test to see if that helps you.  Or you can run Warlord + hunters for an extra artefact + immunity to monstrous rampages on your melee kurnoths.  Or you can buy a start collecting (easiest way to get dryads and kitbash a branchwraith), and build the big guy as a treelord ancient, and bring him instead of the warsong revenant.  Basically, unless your focus is to buy exactly the models listed and have an exactly 2k list with nothing else (not recommended - GW keeps changing points around so having a bit of slack is good), you can (and should) experiment with a few different lists to determine what works for you.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, readercolin said:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Arch-Revenant (105)
- General
Branchwraith (95)
Warsong Revenant (275)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
20 x Dryads (190)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Definitely a good start though. It’s so hard to cram so many kurnoths into a list since they aren’t battleline the only thing I see being a problem is that the Greatbows aren’t worth taking if they aren’t reinforced, but they also aren’t worth taking without warsong revenant to support them. I think removing one greatsword and putting the points to the greatbow would be worth it.

I honestly think the best thing to do would be to focus on keeping warsong as a setup and support hero in this list. Because if warsong focuses on wyldwood placement + treesong/spiteswarm hive instead of spellportal + swarm of spites, it will further the kurnoth hunters’ damage output.

Additionally, I think spiteswarm hive in this list would benefit much more than spellportal, as spellportal just makes swarm of spites a little bit better, but since this is a kurnoth build, spiteswarm hive gives all of the melee ones +3 to normal move and charge (or to save) and the bows +1 to save. Just an important thing to consider.

Lastly, the subfaction. Harvestboon is great, don’t get me wrong. However, there’s no reason not to just keep the kurnoth hunters near the arch revenant anyways which gives them reroll hit rolls of 1  as well. Heartwood or winterleaf would be much better in this scenario. In heartwood, they can reroll ALL failed hit rolls and you can target an enemy unit with a command ability to treesong them without a spell. Winterleaf on the other hand gives one of the units a double attack, all units in the army exploding 6s AND the greatbows mortals on 6s through branch blizzard.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KingGatorboy said:

Lastly, the subfaction. Harvestboon is great, don’t get me wrong. However, there’s no reason not to just keep the kurnoth hunters near the arch revenant anyways which gives them reroll hit rolls of 1  as well. Heartwood or winterleaf would be much better in this scenario. In heartwood, they can reroll ALL failed hit rolls and you can target an enemy unit with a command ability to treesong them without a spell. Winterleaf on the other hand gives one of the units a double attack, all units in the army exploding 6s AND the greatbows mortals on 6s through branch blizzard.

To make things more complicated, concerning the subfactions lore and colour scheme play a role for me. I like the aggressive, youthful, hopeful and vibrant aspect of Harvestboon; the bitter, hardened and withered vibe of Winterleaf not so much. Maybe I need to look for Heartwood and see if I like their colour scheme when actually applied to minuatures. 

• 3 weeks later...

Help a tree lover out here:

What exactly are our rules now? 

Do we still have Navigate Realm-Roots? The ability is not in our battle traits or in the Awakened Wyldwoods warscroll.

For Awakened Wyldwoods, do I use only the ability on the warscroll for the most recent warscroll only or do I use those abilities plus the normal rules for a Wyldwoods? Can I still choose to put down 1 tree only? 

Sorry if these are readily available to find but I've read a lot of conflicting information and some experienced replies would be nice. It's been confusing wading through all the changes 

6 minutes ago, acovarru91 said:

Help a tree lover out here:

What exactly are our rules now? 

Do we still have Navigate Realm-Roots? The ability is not in our battle traits or in the Awakened Wyldwoods warscroll.

For Awakened Wyldwoods, do I use only the ability on the warscroll for the most recent warscroll only or do I use those abilities plus the normal rules for a Wyldwoods? Can I still choose to put down 1 tree only? 

Sorry if these are readily available to find but I've read a lot of conflicting information and some experienced replies would be nice. It's been confusing wading through all the changes 

We still have it. They removed it once 3rd dropped, but undone this change on the subsequent faq. The app launched together with the 3rd, but they never added it back there after the faq.

For the woods scrolls, use the one on our time faq. It's the most recent one and it let's you place just one tree.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! New sylvaneth player here. 
I’m quite confused with the rules for the woods. I was watching mini war gaming (and I know they get rules wrong…a lot) but one the guys there moved his Drycha between woods? Apparently 1 Sylvaneth unit can move between trees per turn. 
I thought this was removed? I can’t seem to locate this rule anywhere since the new FAQ.  
if this rule still exists, could someone point me in the right direction?

5 hours ago, Icetea said:

Hi everyone! New sylvaneth player here. 
I’m quite confused with the rules for the woods. I was watching mini war gaming (and I know they get rules wrong…a lot) but one the guys there moved his Drycha between woods? Apparently 1 Sylvaneth unit can move between trees per turn. 
I thought this was removed? I can’t seem to locate this rule anywhere since the new FAQ.  
if this rule still exists, could someone point me in the right direction?

We still have it, you are looking at the rules in the app correct? The app is missing this rule for the reason I explained in post above yours. Sadly for our rules you will have to use our tome + broken realms kragnos + the latest faq for both rather than the app.

Really hope w are the order faction to get a tom in the summer, so we can end this rule mess...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, Arzalyn said:

We still have it, you are looking at the rules in the app correct? The app is missing this rule for the reason I explained in post above yours. Sadly for our rules you will have to use our tome + broken realms kragnos + the latest faq for both rather than the app.

Really hope w are the order faction to get a tom in the summer, so we can end this rule mess...

Hello fellows

Sorry if I just hop in on that topic. Your responses are much aprreciated. But I just checked the most recent FAQ from December and I don‘t see the Navigate Realmroots ability on the AW Warscroll.
Am I just blind or where did you locate it?

94C9D061-71CF-4C3F-A4E2-EA7F265B8F61.png

3 hours ago, Nameto said:

Hello fellows

Sorry if I just hop in on that topic. Your responses are much aprreciated. But I just checked the most recent FAQ from December and I don‘t see the Navigate Realmroots ability on the AW Warscroll.
Am I just blind or where did you locate it?

94C9D061-71CF-4C3F-A4E2-EA7F265B8F61.png

They aren't there anymore because they reverted the changes that put them there. To give a Chronological order:

- Before 3rd edition drop: Navigate Realm-roots i one of our allegiance abilities.

- 3rd edition mass faq drop: They removed the Navigate Realm-roots from our allegiance abilities (one of the faq entries was "delete this allegiance ability") and place it at the woods warscroll. App was released here.

- Faq of the Faq (the one you showed): They change the woods warscroll again, removed the Navigate Realm-roots from the woods warscroll and undone the faq entry that said "delete this allegiance ability". As there is no entry saying to delete the allegiance, it still in the tome.

The problem is that they never update the App with this change from the Faq of the Faq.

Got it. Thank you very much. The last part with the deletion of the ability so you have to refer back to our tome again, was the reason I was struggling.

Hopefully we will be the new order tome in Summer. Despite it is not confirmed yet, I am hyped for a new tome based on the current rumors. Even if our powerlevel does not increase some new abilities and all rules in one place sound exciting.

21 hours ago, Nameto said:

Even if our powerlevel does not increase some new abilities and all rules in one place sound exciting.

Oh c'mon. If the power level stays the same I won't even bother buying new book. I'm pretty tired of Sylvaneth being in the bottom 5 armies all the time. GW showed it can put some effort if it wants to. I'm thinking Tau. In the previous edition it was the worst faction in most rankings. Now it hits the top. Time they did the same with Sylvaneth, Gloomspite, Nighthaunt and Chaos mortals armies.

I think Sylvaneth would need quite the rewrite - especially in regards to the woods. It makes sense that sylvaneth is focussed on the faction terrain, but the teleport is seemingly too hard to balance.

The new BoC rules made me think of a nice idea. The new herdstone increases it's effective radius. Why not let the sylvaneth have one starting wood, and let them add 1 tree to the circle every battleround, perhaps two if they get off a spell, or have a TLA. Then, the woods could displace other scenery, and it'd signify the growth of the forests. Here, the sylvaneth could go from defensive to aggressive during the game. Perhaps sylvaneth could then freely teleport within the forest area, or they'd have completely different bonusses, and just give tree revenants the teleport within the forest area.

Monstrous rampage could remove a tree from the circle, instead of completely destroying the tree. 

38 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Oh c'mon. If the power level stays the same I won't even bother buying new book. I'm pretty tired of Sylvaneth being in the bottom 5 armies all the time. GW showed it can put some effort if it wants to. I'm thinking Tau. In the previous edition it was the worst faction in most rankings. Now it hits the top. Time they did the same with Sylvaneth, Gloomspite, Nighthaunt and Chaos mortals armies.

I‘m totally on your side that a increase in powerlevel would be much appreciated but even if we are not within the best 5 armies after the new tome but at the top of the middle tier would be quite nice place to be. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 1:34 PM, Nameto said:

I‘m totally on your side that a increase in powerlevel would be much appreciated but even if we are not within the best 5 armies after the new tome but at the top of the middle tier would be quite nice place to be. 

Yeah, of course. I even would not want Sylvaneth to become broken good as some armies were in the past (DoK with witches, Kharadron with shooting fest, Slaanesh with spamming, etc.). Just be payable enough to give pleasure. 

• Like 1

All the "Sylvaneth players" that say we are a lowtier army hasnt even played Sylvaneth in 3.0. 
the army is in a really good place with the addition of armor stacking and the new rules for Treelords to teleport.

we aint an oppressive army (and i do hope we never become one) and we have 1 really bad machup in Lumineth. 

Sylvaneth is a hard army to master because you have to know the other players army so you can punish them without sacrificing to much. 

there are several builds that are good in the army atm, the only units that could count as unplayable would be spite-revs, ylthari and skaeths wild hunt ( though i guess you could make it work if you really want to)

On 2/21/2022 at 9:58 PM, Mancha said:

All the "Sylvaneth players" that say we are a lowtier army hasnt even played Sylvaneth in 3.0. 

It's depressing to see the doom and gloom isn't it?  It's not like Sylvaneth have been terrible the entire time.  And is this not a game?  If you are only concerned with Sylvaneth being top tier, likely the person is just a hidden WAAC player.  

To quote the person who just went 4-1 at LVO with Phonecium "I play the army and love and found a good way to make it work."  Is that possible always? no, but if your only goal is 5-0 at a top tournament the issue isn't Sylvaneth.

Will this army be good again?  sure.  Is it always bad? no.  

• Like 1

I've been successful with my Sylvaneth for most of the time. I also admit they've been in worse conditions than they are now. But it mostly comes due to my experience with them when I beat my opponents playing better armies. Certainly I don't want Sylvaneth to be broken good, like Slaanesh or DoK were. Just want them to work fine. To have their points right. All clearly know some armies get better and some get worse rules. So far Sylvaneth received rather the latter. Perhaps it might be shifted with just a change to Wyldwoods. I don't know. What I know however is that Sylvaneth players really deserve a good battletome.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:58 AM, Mancha said:

the army is in a really good place

Go to a tournament and show them how to play. "Sylvaneth players" must be missing something you know.

Battletome Win Rates:

4th from the bottom 👏

5-0’s & 4-1’s:

Sylvaneth even not on the list. 👏

I'm a Sylvaneth player for a long time. I am able to win many match ups and I really like the army. Yet it is absolutely clear that Sylvaneth struggle at tournaments. It's just a fact. Some buffs need to be done. Not making Sylvaneth an overpowered army. Just bring them up a bit to be strong mid-tier at least.

Source:

https://woehammer.com/2022/03/03/aos-stats-for-february/

image-14.png

image-17.png

• Like 3

As summer approaches and our rumored 3.0 tome with it, I'd really love to see the 3.0 double down on our army identity as a glass scalpel force, with the main focus being on board control through terrain effects and easy repositioning of key units. To that end, I'd like to see two changes.

- Reliable ways to get the "teleportation pad" terrain effect of our Wyldwoods out onto the table, hopefully in the form of the ability to "convert" unaligned terrain into "awakened" terrain that has the teleport ability, and a "place one  Wyldwood or awaken one piece of terrain at the start of each round" effect.

- The ability to teleport more than one unit per turn with the Spirit Paths, or a buff to charges for units that teleported that turn.

Having the warscrolls of our units be somewhat subpar relative to their price in exchange for wicked levels of repositioning power and reliable execution of guerilla tactics would be a great tradeoff, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

As summer approaches and our rumored 3.0 tome with it, I'd really love to see the 3.0 double down on our army identity as a glass scalpel force, with the main focus being on board control through terrain effects and easy repositioning of key units. To that end, I'd like to see two changes.

- Reliable ways to get the "teleportation pad" terrain effect of our Wyldwoods out onto the table, hopefully in the form of the ability to "convert" unaligned terrain into "awakened" terrain that has the teleport ability, and a "place one  Wyldwood or awaken one piece of terrain at the start of each round" effect.

- The ability to teleport more than one unit per turn with the Spirit Paths, or a buff to charges for units that teleported that turn.

Having the warscrolls of our units be somewhat subpar relative to their price in exchange for wicked levels of repositioning power and reliable execution of guerilla tactics would be a great tradeoff, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly I'm starting to fear our 3rd tome more than happily expecting it after seen the idoneth/fyreslayers tome. If they are anything to go by, I wouldn't expect much changes as outside of the woods we don't have much rules to make easier to understand. I really hope we get the Nurgle treatment and get more changes to our allegiances.

Putting my pessimism aside, I would love if they invested more in our battlefield control thought terrain, like Seraphon do a little controlling the terrain rules, but I doubt they will make any change that make less woods necessary. I think they will try to keep the guerrilla hit-and-dissapear while keeping a place safe tactics that our lore talks about, but I doubt they will increase our teleporting power. Rather than mobility, I expect the following:

- Increase our hit power in some units (Durthu, Drycha, Spites).

- More staying power, though regeneration (more healing effects for our big monsters, rallying on a 4+ for chaff like dryads).

- No more 1+ save effects (unless they decide to completely change our playstyle and make us the Order version of nurgle).

- Woods changes from damaging our opponents to buffing our units (ward of 6/+1 cast rolls for wizards, maybe been able to be garrisoned by Sylvaneth units,  something like).

- Treelord stomp becoming a rampage in our allegiance rather than a warscroll rule.

- The general 3rd tomes changes (most command abilities and half of our artefacts and traits gone.) Losing the enchantments isn't that bad if they keep the interesting ones, most of them never saw much use anyway. Commands I expect we will get two at max in the Alarielle scroll and probably the ancient as well.

For our subfactions my guess would be the following:

- Oakenbrow: Open Treelords as battleline. Focus on buffing our treelords variants with woods and something else (guessing by what the deepkin/fyreslayer got).

- Gnarlroot: Some kind of cast roll bonus for our wizards or some kind of bonus when we cast a spell (maybe healing as their actual trait do). Another option is it letting us take the 3 ancients "coven" we used to have.

- Heartwood: Kurnoth as battleline and some kind of kurnoth buff.

- Harvestboon: Charge related bonus or some kind of buff for tree revenants or dryads.

- Dreadwood: Spite revenant buff. I wouldn't be surprised if spites as battleline become "dreadwood only".

- Ironbark: Some anti-shooting effect.

- Winterleaf: Some kind of attack/damage buff.

Those guesses are based on our actual unit choice and in the assumption we will get just a new foot hero with the tome. If we end getting a new no hero unit, it will probably get a subfaction focused on it.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 3