AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 10/27/2020 at 5:57 PM, Tizianolol said:

Guys im curious about that.. what we have to do? We follow our battletome or GHB2020? 

Yes sadly, the FAQ only pertains to the GHB2019 and it came before the GHB2019 got its Errata. 

The 3" rule has only effected me on 1 table out of the past 9 games I've played. Usually there isn't a lot of random scatter terrain and if there is a bunch, my opponent was pretty cool about moving it if I asked politely. 

8 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

So basically we have to try to apply our battletome rule according to oppoment?i mean in tournaments!

I should have said those 9 games were 3 separate 1 day tournaments, using ITC. The TO ruled all faction terrain needed to be 3" away from other terrain. So ultimately it's up to the TO. I would just ask my opponent if I could move the small bits of scatter pieces that had no rules. 

The rule in the GHB20 reads something like this: faction terrain has to be setup 3" away from objectives & other terrain IN ADDITION to their own rules. 

I got this from the back of my head but it basically means that u can deploy your wyldwood: 1" from enemy territory, 3" from all terrain & 6" from objectives 

So with the Morathi BR book imminent and with the promise of a Alarielle BR book to come, what are your hopes for Sylvaneth in Broken Realms?

Me, I'm hoping for Kurnothi units with Realmlord properties, ie every Kurnothi unit is a wizard that buffs or can turn terrain/the landscape against the opposition.

And maybe a few allegiance buffs too. I expect something about Drycha's story too, maybe a bit more venom from the Queen of Outcasts. 

I'm hoping

- the wraith become priest,

- wyches stay mages

- 2 cast on TLA

New hunter character, just a combat beast with a combat buff.

- Alarielle becoming stronger (stats, abilities everything) with matching (but still competative) points to reflect her being one of the few gods. In comparison to Archaon her abilities are somewhat lacking eventhough they are not weak.. and in stats... well...

Edited by Aezeal

An across the board increase in wounds for Alarielle/Treelords would go a long way. The whole schtick of Sylvaneth is healing and regrowth, but we don't have enough wounds to do it. I'm fine with having severe deterioration, but with 16 wounds (for example), Durthu has some chance of surviving to be able to recover.

2 cast TLA pretty much has to be on the board. It's one of those universal cries the community has been making since the book dropped. This might be just me, but I'd also like to see an allegiance replacement akin to the SCE one, and for that replacement to allow us not to use trees. I'd really like a treeless playstyle to be viable because playing Sylvaneth can be such a physical hassle.

5 minutes ago, plavski said:

I'd really like a treeless playstyle to be viable because playing Sylvaneth can be such a physical hassle.

Nah in my opinion the woods are a core part of the Sylvaneth identity. A table where a Sylvaneth player has planted 2 or 3 woods just looks great, you can see from a few tables away that there's a Sylvaneth player here. I just really want more reliable ways to place them, casting them is stopped so easily. And if it does fail, your whole game plan for that turn goes out the window. Perhaps some more impactful rules as well, something with soul pods and returning models to units which would thematically be super-Sylvanethy. It's crazy we don't have model restoring already given how important soul pods are in every Sylvaneth piece of lore you can find.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiekeboe said:

Nah in my opinion the woods are a core part of the Sylvaneth identity. A table where a Sylvaneth player has planted 2 or 3 woods just looks great, you can see from a few tables away that there's a Sylvaneth player here. I just really want more reliable ways to place them, casting them is stopped so easily. And if it does fail, your whole game plan for that turn goes out the window. Perhaps some more impactful rules as well, something with soul pods and returning models to units which would thematically be super-Sylvanethy. It's crazy we don't have model restoring already given how important soul pods are in every Sylvaneth piece of lore you can find.

Well, all wizards can take Verduous Harmony which restores models to units.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:57 PM, Kiekeboe said:

Yeah that is it.. you can have a great plan... but if the wood doesn't come which is a real posibility then one of the 5 turns is gone.. and 5 is optimistic.. a strat really has to be rolling in turn 1-2 really turn 3 will be reactive and turn 4 and 5 way to late

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 11:00 PM, plavski said:

Well, all wizards can take Verduous Harmony which restores models to units.

True, but I don't count that one because honestly how often does that work out? With all the magic hate flying around (and us not having real casting buffs) you're very unlikely to be able to cast it and besides that, who are you going to give it to? Alarielle will take Throne instead, Branchwraith will have to give up attempting the 10 dryad summon to restore 1 model which makes no sense. Treelord ancient is the only model who can afford to give up his own cast to try the Verdurous Harmony but let's be honest, he's generally a waste of points. Drycha perhaps but you'd rather have the heal spell there.

I mean Sylvaneth, a faction about life and restoration, needs an actual way of restoring models. Legions have gravesites, Gloomspite has the shrine, FEC has a million ways to restore models, Bonereapers bring back everyone, even Warclans have the battalion that brings back ardboys. Most of these things just work, or require a 4+ roll without the opponent having the option to stop it. That's the reliable model restoring that would make sense in Sylvaneth, the faction where you can put the goddess of life magic on the table.

There's an entire story in the book "Legends of the Age of Sigmar" with a Branchwych as the main character and their sole duty is gathering and tending to soul pods. I would really like to see some of this reflected in the game.

Back on the topic of what I'd like to see in a broken realms update: 
I think we need a new book with drastic changes to fix the faction, but for now I think one of the better changes we could get is to simply rewrite all of Sylvaneth's "Heal 1/D3/D6 wounds" to "Heal 1/D3/D6 wounds or if there are no wounds allocated restore 1/D3/D6 models worth of wounds". 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kiekeboe said:

True, but I don't count that one because honestly how often does that work out? With all the magic hate flying around (and us not having real casting buffs) you're very unlikely to be able to cast it and besides that, who are you going to give it to? Alarielle will take Throne instead, Branchwraith will have to give up attempting the 10 dryad summon to restore 1 model which makes no sense. Treelord ancient is the only model who can afford to give up his own cast to try the Verdurous Harmony but let's be honest, he's generally a waste of points. Drycha perhaps but you'd rather have the heal spell there.

I mean Sylvaneth, a faction about life and restoration, needs an actual way of restoring models. Legions have gravesites, Gloomspite has the shrine, FEC has a million ways to restore models, Bonereapers bring back everyone, even Warclans have the battalion that brings back ardboys. Most of these things just work, or require a 4+ roll without the opponent having the option to stop it. That's the reliable model restoring that would make sense in Sylvaneth, the faction where you can put the goddess of life magic on the table.

There's an entire story in the book "Legends of the Age of Sigmar" with a Branchwych as the main character and their sole duty is gathering and tending to soul pods. I would really like to see some of this reflected in the game.

Back on the topic of what I'd like to see in a broken realms update: 
I think we need a new book with drastic changes to fix the faction, but for now I think one of the better changes we could get is to simply rewrite all of Sylvaneth's "Heal 1/D3/D6 wounds" to "Heal 1/D3/D6 wounds or if there are no wounds allocated restore 1/D3/D6 models worth of wounds". 

I honestly think returning models too the table should be undead only.. and not FEC either.. just zombeis and skeletons.. and I guess the abomination that is bonereapers. Healing and good healing.. ok.. summoning if not to much (ours is too weak) but not more.

11 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Make Wyldwoods offer a 5++ DPR or heal 1,d3 or d6 wounds at the start/end of the turn or during a phase 

Ow I'll take that DPR anytime :D

Just a bonus +1 cover save when fully in woods just for sylvaneth would be huge too. 

Edited by Aezeal

I wonder if a wholly within 9" of a Wyldwood instead of 6" for various abilities would help (Dryads penalty to be hit, teleporting, etc).  It would be cool to have the ability to turn terrain pieces into woods as an either/or to placing a woods.  I highly doubt this would happen but I wonder if a glade that could allow Treelords or Kurnoths to be battleline would be created.   With GW making bracketing changes to the Leviadon and having the MGs bracket at a relatively high number of wounds (1/3rd of total), I hope they do the same for Alarielle and the Treelord variants.   My laundry list of shtuff...

1) Make Treelords and Durthu more relevant, specifically Treelord/Dryad synergy and Durthu having better degrading weapon damage.
2) Woods being more impactful in presence, abilities, and usability.
3) Treelords or Kurnoth as battleline option, would need some modifications to Treelord's warscroll teleport ability.
4) Alarielle being worth taking and being relevant for the army and with magic.
5) Change TLA's Silent Communion ability be one use per model, only can be used once per turn.
6) Drycha is awesome.  Don't change her at all.  Love love LOVE me some Drycha.

• LOVE IT! 1

@Aezeal @Pennydude 100% agree! even +2 wounds on all treelord variants & Drycha, healing at the end of the phase/turn if near a wood, actual impactful dread wood abilities (Drycha, spite Revs, skull root etc), toughen up the trees, drop Alarielle’s points by at least 1/4 AND FINALLY the whole armies abilities via the woods would actually make them better if the woods offered additional protection (+1 save if within 6”), healing, bravery and casting 

Just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

@Aezeal @Pennydude 100% agree! even +2 wounds on all treelord variants & Drycha, healing at the end of the phase/turn if near a wood, actual impactful dread wood abilities (Drycha, spite Revs, skull root etc), toughen up the trees, drop Alarielle’s points by at least 1/4 AND FINALLY the whole armies abilities via the woods would actually make them better if the woods offered additional protection (+1 save if within 6”), healing, bravery and casting 

Just my 2 cents

I don’t want Alarielle to drop in points.

I want her to be the powerhouse she can be at 600 or so points.  That beetle needs to hit on 3+ base for starters. She needs some sort of bonus to cast or... maybe say that if she successfully casts a spell, she can heal a unit or bring back models. 

Give her the full spell lore and since she’s the goddess of life, maybe say that when she casts Regrowth or Verdurous Harmony, they are autocast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

@Pennydude I’d take Alarielle for 600-700pts for that! -whole spell lore, heal/summon on successful casts

If I had to redesign Alarielle, I’d make the beetle hit on 3+ (keep the +1 against units with 5 or more models), give her full spell lore, healing on successful casting, and a full rebirth once per game back to max health.

• LOVE IT! 2

On 11/6/2020 at 12:30 AM, Mcthew said:

So with the Morathi BR book imminent and with the promise of a Alarielle BR book to come, what are your hopes for Sylvaneth in Broken Realms?

Me, I'm hoping for Kurnothi units with Realmlord properties, ie every Kurnothi unit is a wizard that buffs or can turn terrain/the landscape against the opposition.

And maybe a few allegiance buffs too. I expect something about Drycha's story too, maybe a bit more venom from the Queen of Outcasts. 

TBH I expect Drycha to still be paired with the Nurgle lore which seems to be the case for at least the last 6-7 years if not more.  GW likes life vs death so Wanderers/Sylvaneth vs Nurgle is repeated often.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:10 AM, Aezeal said:

I'm hoping

- the wraith become priest,

- wyches stay mages

- 2 cast on TLA

New hunter character, just a combat beast with a combat buff.

- Alarielle becoming stronger (stats, abilities everything) with matching (but still competative) points to reflect her being one of the few gods. In comparison to Archaon her abilities are somewhat lacking eventhough they are not weak.. and in stats... well...

I like these.  Nothing irrational.  The wraith is an "apothecary" and doesn't provide ANY means to make it fit in the game as per the lore.

I'm not 100% we would see major re-writes (possibly, Lord knows BoC needs it bad), but maybe a method to make them more viable?  Like a new Glade or some Battalions.  

• Like 1