AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

42 minutes ago, The Darkest Soul said:

- 18 Artefacts and 18 Command Traits. 6 for each Brayherds, Warherds, and Thunderscorn

I'm going to assume for the command traits that it'll be like other chaos tables and have 3 "everyone can take" traits and 3 specific traits. Hopefully though they don't run into the SCE problem of the Generic Traits (or at least a few particular ones) are way better than the "forced" traits from the subfactions.

2 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Imagine using the new Savage Dominion on a Chaos War Mammoth and dealing 11 Mortal Wounds on average , 22 at most. Please Forgeworld bring back the Chaos War Mammoth...

Of course you'll have to make sure the enemy's chaos mammoth isn't closer to your own units! Might start getting chaotic if you ambushed.

3 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Imagine using the new Savage Dominion on a Chaos War Mammoth and dealing 11 Mortal Wounds on average , 22 at most. Please Forgeworld bring back the Chaos War Mammoth...

The Mumakil is ready available once more and has always been a popular conversion base for a CWM.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Mumak-War-Leader-2018

Regarding the fluff behind the new Beatified despoilers ability, I think >10 is supposed to represent them attacked a regimented unit that fights in an orderly fashion hence their dislike of such units (ironic since they'll get the bonus against over bestigor units but oh well) 

15 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Might need to elaborate what you mean. As in does he have synergy? Well he is Archaon, he technically synergies with all chaos.

I meant that will one be able to take Beasts of Chaos allegiance if one takes a chaos god dedicated battalion for the Beasts of Chaos army and then takes Archaon with the same mark as the battalion has?

Wildfire Taurus explanation from the Beasts of Chaos fb page by someone who watched the twitter stream:

Wildfire Taurus endless spell deals mortal wounds (and is predatory?), but best of all if it passes through a unit, that unit fights last in combat! This is the thing that should make the Beastlord usable! Against a unit that's been hit by this, you can pile in first with your Beastlord to trigger his buff, and then lay a smackdown on them with multiple buffed up units of Bestigors before they get a chance to fight back! Will require some setup, but this could potentially be the most devastating combo in the army, especially if your Bestigors are getting 3 attacks off a charge and you're able to get several enemy units with the Taurus.

Makes me excited that the Beastlord might actually be good after all! This endless spell sounds amazing.

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Given that they discussed the Gavespawn Greatfray that worships Morghur in the twitter stream, do you guys think we'll see a Morghur model at some point? He could make a really cool centrepiece hero (which GW seems to love) if they make him super huge and mutated.

I would really like to see the return of some special characters from the World that Was, but I have  bad feeling we won't get any special characters in the new battletome. And instead we'll get little references like the Gavespawn Greatfray and the Khorne Battalion which is obviously named  after Taurox. 

I hope I'm wrong though, would love to see Morghur and even a Kholek model for the Thunderscorn!

3 minutes ago, The Darkest Soul said:

I would really like to see the return of some special characters from the World that Was, but I have  bad feeling we won't get any special characters in the new battletome. And instead we'll get little references like the Gavespawn Greatfray and the Khorne Battalion which is obviously named  after Taurox. 

I hope I'm wrong though, would love to see Morghur and even a Kholek model for the Thunderscorn!

Yeah I kind of doubt we'll get anything in the Battletome, but maybe if it sells well and proves popular enough we might get a model in a year or so.

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Given that they discussed the Gavespawn Greatfray that worships Morghur in the twitter stream, do you guys think we'll see a Morghur model at some point? He could make a really cool centrepiece hero (which GW seems to love) if they make him super huge and mutated.

Maybe, but very unlikely in the near future. GW doesn't seem to do many "post book" releases. Not counting the Malign Portents campaign.

If they wanted to make a big centerpiece model for an army, they would use that to advertise the launch of the army like Daughters of Khaine.

17 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Yeah I kind of doubt we'll get anything in the Battletome, but maybe if it sells well and proves popular enough we might get a model in a year or so.

The fact the models are so old and no longer sold on the GW website doesn't bode well.

The selection of heroes available for BoC in general is a bit disappointing, it would of been great to at least get a plastic Beastlord with a few options for weapon loadouts.

Other than that maybe  new kit with the option to make Gors/Bestigors, but a lot of the Wardherd and Thunderscorn stuff still surprisingly holds up well today.

Edited by The Darkest Soul

49 minutes ago, The Darkest Soul said:

Other than that maybe  new kit with the option to make Gors/Bestigors

I don't think there has been a single replacement for a 7th edition plastic kit though for any army. (I mean in the grand scheme of things, most 7th edition plastics are relatively new, especially if it was the 2nd half of 7th edition)

Heck GW seems extremely content with selling 6th edition plastics! We'll never get updated zombies!

On the subject though of no new models, I think BOC is an experiment to see how much a LON style update with no new models will get sales. In reality, BOC isn't really important to AOS story wise even with fluff changes like thunderscorn, unlike LON. No special characters and not much other than "SMASH FACE". Sure one could point to BCR or Bonesplitterz or FEC, but those armies aren't the size of LON/BOC, and came out relatively early in AOS. BOC is kind of the first, especially for 2.0.

Not to mention LON is 70%-80% of the Death line (pre NH) vs the much smaller portion of BOC to Chaos (especially after adding in skaven).

Maybe sales of this book will give GW a gauge on "hmm should we make a plastic razrogor chariot". And beyond that, it may also gauge interest in old armies that don't necessarily ever get any more models like Darklings. I mean I'm sure they have something for these armies, especially GHB ones, but the success of BOC may speed things up or slow things down.

That being said I also really hope they update AOS factions, especially the early 1.0 books. They need to prove they can give people other than Khorne and SCE updates!

• Like 2

I don’t expect any new models.

The only one that kinda makes sense to me would plastic centigors. Those things are WAY too expensive, and I don’t want to touch finecast as far as I can avoid it.

Part of the fun of this army is seeing a cool unit/model, realising it is finecast and so requires a new mortgage, and then figuring out how to kitbash my own version.

Lastly, Ungors are so ugly. I really didn’t want to get any. But since they are in the new Start Collecting I think I’m ok with having them just to be kicked into a fire ?

I can sacrifice the ugly to summon a beautiful Ghorgon :D 

Edited by Colonel Cabbage

5 hours ago, Dmuerto said:

I meant that will one be able to take Beasts of Chaos allegiance if one takes a chaos god dedicated battalion for the Beasts of Chaos army and then takes Archaon with the same mark as the battalion has?

No because you are running an army based off the Beast of Chaos allegiance/keyword. Regard of what other keywords your units have, that is the one keyword your army is built around. Archaon lacks that keyword.

Now you could make a god army (Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, or Slannesh), take the relevant BoC battalion, and stick Archaon in there since he has all the god keywords.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Question for everyone who has seen the battle report of Warhammer tv on twitch.

Have you seen how marks of chaos were treated with the beasts of chaos ?

like do you have to have a battailon to even include them, or is it a choice by free will?

Looks like marks are bestowed by the battalion, at least that was my understanding.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Question for everyone who has seen the battle report of Warhammer tv on twitch.

Have you seen how marks of chaos were treated with the beasts of chaos ?

like do you have to have a battailon to even include them, or is it a choice by free will?

I think there is a Battalion for each god that you must use to get the marks. Otherwise no marks. However from waht we have seen/heard they are very flexible. They can be taken as BoC batt, or as a batt in an army of the relevant god. I dont have the points for a full 2k BoC army yet, so I may run 1,000 points or so of Warherds in the Khorne Battalion as part of a Blades of Khorne army for now.

2 hours ago, Colonel Cabbage said:

I think there is a Battalion for each god that you must use to get the marks. Otherwise no marks. However from waht we have seen/heard they are very flexible. They can be taken as BoC batt, or as a batt in an army of the relevant god. I dont have the points for a full 2k BoC army yet, so I may run 1,000 points or so of Warherds in the Khorne Battalion as part of a Blades of Khorne army for now.

So ... how would that work with the artefacts etc in the khorne book? My warherd is already khorne themed, so excited by this idea, but the artefacts/abilities in khorne require the mortal, daemon, or bloodbound  keywords, which the warherd units all lack. I understand we may not have the answer yet, but interested if anyone has any more knowledge!

2 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

So ... how would that work with the artefacts etc in the khorne book? My warherd is already khorne themed, so excited by this idea, but the artefacts/abilities in khorne require the mortal, daemon, or bloodbound  keywords, which the warherd units all lack. I understand we may not have the answer yet, but interested if anyone has any more knowledge!

unless the battalions says KHORNE its still beastmen

Edited by Arkiham

40 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

unless the battalions says KHORNE its still beastmen

I’m assuming it will grant/carry the khorne keyword, but perhaps you still won’t be able to allocate abilities/artefacts to warherd models under a khorne allegiance ( I.e. you can take the battalion as part of a khorne army, but the only eligible heroes for abilities/artifacts would be outside of the battalion - which means the battalion being your whole army with the khorne allegiance would be fruitless, you would take it with BoC allegiance even though all models have khorne keyword)?