AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Anybody had any luck with balewind vortex on our great bray shaman standing at the heardstone? Seems like it would be a good fit. Extra 6” range and extra spell/turn would be nice. Enemy could dispel it but it wastes there casting attempts to do so and at a 6+ it shouldn’t be to hard to put back up then u get to cast another spell anyway if you get it on the board. 

1 hour ago, Rollsemfat said:

Anybody had any luck with balewind vortex on our great bray shaman standing at the heardstone? Seems like it would be a good fit. Extra 6” range and extra spell/turn would be nice. Enemy could dispel it but it wastes there casting attempts to do so and at a 6+ it shouldn’t be to hard to put back up then u get to cast another spell anyway if you get it on the board. 

I used to run this to good effect, but unfortunately there's more Skaven and Stormcast Ballistae in my local meta so it's becoming risky now to have my shaman sitting up high where everyone can see him.

Hey everyone!

Khorne player here considering jumping into Beasts of Chaos, also some news: Bloodstoker can only affect Mortal Khorne stuff, so just be careful!

im just curious about the playstyle: is anyone able to just summarize a quick idea of the theme, personality and playstyle of the army? I don’t mind playing competitively, just not aiming to utterly crush my opponents in every game, I’m more into the narrative !

also, I normally buy stuff from amazon, but I can’t find dragon ogors, razorgors or Bullgors anywhere, so I wanted to ask, how did u guys get yours? Was it from GW online, or from your respective stores? 

I’m still pretty green here in tga:P

thanks in advance! 

Also, I did notice that most of the  new battletomes cant one-drop: Blades of Khorne can’t, Skaven have a hard time doing it, flesh Eaters can’t, only Gloomspite Gitz can and even then it’s usually more than 1 drop. Maybe GW is trying to move away from 1 drop armies?

Edited by Kaz
Just remembered I wanted to mention something extra :P

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Hi! What do you think of using chaos dwarf Bull renders as dragon ogors?

I think it's fine, buuuut I would also try to make sure it's clear what weapon options they have since DO can mix and match. In case you don't want to add on anything to the FW models themselves, maybe a base marker.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I think it's fine, buuuut I would also try to make sure it's clear what weapon options they have since DO can mix and match. In case you don't want to add on anything to the FW models themselves, maybe a base marker.

On the topic of alternatives for dragon ogres, does anyone know if bullgors would work (size wize) with Stormcast Dracolines (much like the dracoline-orgoid conversion for the shaggoth)? Or perhaps Ogor torsos with some kind of BoC head/horns?  

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, TactfulSaturn said:

On the topic of alternatives for dragon ogres, does anyone know if bullgors would work (size wize) with Stormcast Dracolines (much like the dracoline-orgoid conversion for the shaggoth)? Or perhaps Ogor torsos with some kind of BoC head/horns?  

Personally, I think that the GW Dragon Ogres are miles better than any conversions or alternate sculpts from other companies that I've seen. They're very nice modern plastic kits, with great detail. The trick to making them look better than the GW Store pics is to use terrain on the base to make it look like they're climbing over rocks and other obstacles rather than just rearing up on their hind legs. Here are some of mine that I've painted.

WIN_20190307_11_36_27_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_40_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_41_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_41_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_43_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_45_41_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190307_11_47_18_Pro.jpg

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

On 3/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, Kaz said:

im just curious about the playstyle: is anyone able to just summarize a quick idea of the theme, personality and playstyle of the army? I don’t mind playing competitively, just not aiming to utterly crush my opponents in every game, I’m more into the narrative !

also, I normally buy stuff from amazon, but I can’t find dragon ogors, razorgors or Bullgors anywhere, so I wanted to ask, how did u guys get yours? Was it from GW online, or from your respective stores? 

I’m still pretty green here in tga:P

thanks in advance! 

Also, I did notice that most of the  new battletomes cant one-drop: Blades of Khorne can’t, Skaven have a hard time doing it, flesh Eaters can’t, only Gloomspite Gitz can and even then it’s usually more than 1 drop. Maybe GW is trying to move away from 1 drop armies?

I would say from my own experience that the Beast of chaos are a armie that relies on their movement.

unlike most armies this guys can run cross the board like nothing, making them probably one of the fastest armies I’ve ever seen (next to deepkins).

where they struggle though is in punch unlike the deepkins, they’re armie isn’t really great at killing stuff, sure we have a few units like the Bestigors and Tzaangor enlightenment (probaly Alain Tzaangors) But if it comes down I would probably say that we’re a staying force, trying to outmaneuver our enemy and strike when the time is right.

as for battalions, Boc is probably one of the newer armies who can easily have a one drop armie.

there battalions aren’t as great as other but compared to what the skaven have, they’re at least useful.

also don’t worry about crushing your foe-friend, as long as your not interested in going heavy on Tzaangors in particularly you should be fine.

just mix and match what ever you like, nothing beats and armie that looks cool.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, Kasper said:

A lone Tzaangor Shaman seems kinda odd to mix in without any Tzaangor/Enlightened/Skyfire. The boon wont be as useful and all the bonuses the shaman bring will be useless.

He's our only high maneuverability caster - tremendously important in Places of Power, Duality, etc. Even if he isn't using his buff on Tzaangor units he's an effective method for delivering tendrils to the right place, great for tying up shooting units like ballista, WLC, etc. I don't think the usefulness of a  Tzaangor Shaman can be over stated. 

• Like 1

Your paintjob is very nice.  And I do like the bases. Very nicely done.

As for the sculpts, I am not a fan of those, essentially they look extremely stiff, like if they suffered from torpor.  While not the ugliest sculpts out there, they certainly aint the best of the crop. And I remember people criticizing similar point as I have them even back in the day when the Dragon Ogre kit was released.

7 hours ago, TactfulSaturn said:

I've made a Dracoth Ogroid Thaumaturge Shaggoth. Those pieces work together. Bullgors are so much chunkier I'd be really worried about being top heavy. 

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I would say from my own experience that the Beast of chaos are a armie that relies on their movement.

unlike most armies this guys can run cross the board like nothing, making them probably one of the fastest armies I’ve ever seen (next to deepkins).

where they struggle though is in punch unlike the deepkins, they’re armie isn’t really great at killing stuff, sure we have a few units like the Bestigors and Tzaangor enlightenment (probaly Alain Tzaangors) But if it comes down I would probably say that we’re a staying force, trying to outmaneuver our enemy and strike when the time is right.

as for battalions, Boc is probably one of the newer armies who can easily have a one drop armie.

there battalions aren’t as great as other but compared to what the skaven have, they’re at least useful.

also don’t worry about crushing your foe-friend, as long as your not interested in going heavy on Tzaangors in particularly you should be fine.

just mix and match what ever you like, nothing beats and armie that looks cool.

Thanks a lot! Tbh I don’t mind buying some Enlightened, I just wouldn’t bring 18 of them to a 2k points game (I think I’d go insane painting so many), and yeah I did notice after reading battle reports here  that Beasts of Chaos struggled with killing stuff but were incredible at the objectives game

So I know that the Gavespawn are easily the strongest Greatfray, but are there any ways to make Allherd decently viable in 2k points? 

Also, @The_Yellow_Signbeautiful paint job!! 

• Like 1

These are all units in the book and are all under the Beasts of Chaos banner:

Chimera 
Ghorgon 
Tzaangor Skyfires 
Chaos Gargant 
Cygor 
Tzanngors 
Bullgors 
Jabberslythe 
Dragon Ogors 
Tzaangor Enlightened on Discs of Tzeentch 
Bestigors 
Cockatrice 
Tzaangor Enlightened 
Centigors 
Chaos Warhounds 
Gors 
Ungor Raiders 
Chaos Spawn 
Tuskgor Chariot 
Razorgor 
Ungors 
Beastlord
Greate Bray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth
Doombull

I'm a post AoS player so i don't know much about Fantasy but those units I know that didn't make it are:

Beastlord on Chariot and Centigor Warhoof

Edited by Sauriv

11 minutes ago, Danny76 said:

Hey guys. 

Just wondered, if moving over from Fantasy into AoS. Did everything make it into this book?

Including things like Bestigors, or are they all under Gor etc. 

Anything that didn’t make the cut?

Not only did everything (that had a model) came over ...*cough cough except harpies, cough*, but we also got a bunch of "new" stuff (Dragon Ogors, Chimera, Tzaangors, Cockatrice and such).

Things we lost were things that didnt have a model like Beastlord with shield, BL on chariot, Shaman on Chariot and Razorgor chariot (mostly chariot mounts, but normal chariots we still have).

As someone who came from WFB to AoS as well, I must say, even despite loosing some things (hopefully we get some new ones added over time as well) overall the army is much better off then it used to be in WFB, and the new Dragon Ogors and Tzaangors are fun to use.

So for a tournament im going to, i like both list but IDK what would be more fun to play in a tournament, just looking for opinions on what you guys like better.

List one, 1 drop
Beastlord
Greatbray Shaman
Greatbray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman on Disk
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10
Ungor Raiders x30
Tzaangor Enlighten on Disk x6
Phantasmagoria of Fate
Endless spell; Cogs

List 2, Chimeras
Beastlord
Greatbray Shaman
Greatbray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman on Disk
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10
Ungor Raiders x10
Ungor Raiders x10
Tzaangor Enlighten on Disk x9
Chimera
Chimera

21 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

So for a tournament im going to, i like both list but IDK what would be more fun to play in a tournament, just looking for opinions on what you guys like better.

List one, 1 drop
Beastlord
Greatbray Shaman
Greatbray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman on Disk
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10
Ungor Raiders x30
Phantasmagoria of Fate
Endless spell; Cogs

List 2, Chimeras
Beastlord
Greatbray Shaman
Greatbray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman on Disk
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10
Ungor Raiders x10
Ungor Raiders x10
Tzaangor Enlighten on Disk x9
Chimera
Chimera

List 1 is much stronger, but make sure you run Gavespawn if you take a Beastlord, or else he's useless. Also, if you running two units of Enlightened you need two Tzaangor Shamans, because +1 to hit is massive when they are rerolling hits. Also, drop Cogs: they aren't important to the list and are unreliable with the lack of casting bonuses in the army.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, Kaz said:

Thanks a lot! Tbh I don’t mind buying some Enlightened, I just wouldn’t bring 18 of them to a 2k points game (I think I’d go insane painting so many), and yeah I did notice after reading battle reports here  that Beasts of Chaos struggled with killing stuff but were incredible at the objectives game

So I know that the Gavespawn are easily the strongest Greatfray, but are there any ways to make Allherd decently viable in 2k points? 

I used to hate Tzaangors with a passion and wanted to go pure Brayherd (the goats), but when the internal balance is so bad, I've kinda embraced the fact that Tzaangors are simply needed if your opponent likes cheesy lists. You might hate the idea of painting 18 Enlightened, but would you rather paint 40 Ungor raiders + multiple other units of Ungors etc? 😉 I'm liking the idea of not needing to paint 100+ models for a 1.500 pts. game.

I'm not super familiar with how Khorne plays, if you are a horde army too or if you have loads of more "elite" units, but you need to take into consideration if you fancy a "horde army". Some people don't like the idea of having to paint 100-200 models, much less having to move them every game.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:24 AM, Kaz said:

Thanks mate! I really enjoyed painting these guys. They're such cool models.

• LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

List one, 1 drop
Beastlord
Greatbray Shaman
Greatbray Shaman
Tzaangor Shaman on Disk
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Bestigor x10
Ungors x10
Ungor Raiders x30
Phantasmagoria of Fate
Endless spell; Cogs

This is probably the stronger list of the two but I'd drop cogs. We don't actually care about the speed buff most of the time because the army is fast enough on its own and you don't want to provide a bonus to your opponent. I'd rather find another 40 points to take the Wildfire Taurus, decent MW output plus its a solid answer to the Gristlegore Dragon problem. 

6 hours ago, Kasper said:

I used to hate Tzaangors with a passion and wanted to go pure Brayherd (the goats), but when the internal balance is so bad, I've kinda embraced the fact that Tzaangors are simply needed if your opponent likes cheesy lists. You might hate the idea of painting 18 Enlightened, but would you rather paint 40 Ungor raiders + multiple other units of Ungors etc? 😉 I'm liking the idea of not needing to paint 100+ models for a 1.500 pts. game.

I'm not super familiar with how Khorne plays, if you are a horde army too or if you have loads of more "elite" units, but you need to take into consideration if you fancy a "horde army". Some people don't like the idea of having to paint 100-200 models, much less having to move them every game.

Yep! Playing Khorne does mean a part horde army (I’ve moved 100+ Orks before, so I’m not a stranger to hordes :/), so now that I think about it, playing Tzaangors doesn’t seem so bad! I’ll admit, I already play one horde army, so the Enlightened suddenly seem more appealing than 100+ ungors/Gors XD

So what about Greatfrays? Is it considered a viable alternative to not go any Greatfray, and instead choose your own command traits? 

13 minutes ago, Kaz said:

So what about Greatfrays? Is it considered a viable alternative to not go any Greatfray, and instead choose your own command traits? 

It certainly can be - the general wisdom is that if you're going for a Great Fray its Gave Spawn all the way. But if you want to go for say a Shaggoth general there are some decent non fray options that are attractive. 

7 hours ago, Kasper said:

Tzaangors enlightenment are fantastic looking models.

painting them is quite fun, but if I compare my speed painting skills on my clanrats/Gors/Ungors/Bestigors, then I would have finished 100-150models in  3 whole days (exactly the time I needed to paint my Enltightements)

And to tell the truth, I’m not really interested in painting another 12of these guys.

I might buy another 3, should I ever go up to 2500p with this armie and even then only if the Bullgors haven’t gotten a model update till then (they look so bad, but their lore is just fantastic)