AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Congratz said:

Can somebody share thier competitive list? I have heard that Desolating beastHerd  is good but i dont really lile gors or chariots... The Tzeentch Battalion also looks really good! Thoughts? and  please share list if you can :)

Well I do have a list (which I’m hoping to be competitive) but I haven’t tried it out yet.

never really had the time.

well the lists consists of:

heros:550

Beastlord:90 (gnarwlblade)

dragon ofre shaggoth:180 (Horn of the tempest, spells: sundering blades)

great bray shaman:100(spells: wild rampage, General)

Tzaangors shaman:180(vicious stranglethorn)

battleline:630p

10Bestigors:120p

10Bestigord:120p

30Gors:210p (shields)

10ungors:60p (spears)

others:360p

3dragon ogres:140p

3Tzaangor enlightenment:140p (on discs)

10ungor raiders:80p

Behemoths:200p

1Ghorgon:200p

Endless spells:60p

1cogs:60p

battalion:190p

brass despoilers:190p (or phantasmagoria of fate)

total:1990p (or 2000p when taking the phantasmagoria of fate)

oh by the way the greatfray I’ll be using is gavespawn (the lore behind it is just fantastic).

13 hours ago, Congratz said:

Can somebody share thier competitive list? I have heard that Desolating beastHerd  is good but i dont really lile gors or chariots... The Tzeentch Battalion also looks really good! Thoughts? and  please share list if you can :)

What’s so great about Phantasmagoria of Fate?

50 minutes ago, Ken said:

Can you take both a great fray and a god marked battalion?

Yes - neither are exclusive to one another.

48 minutes ago, Ken said:

What’s so great about Phantasmagoria of Fate?

You can include almost every unit in the army book with minimal requirements which allows you to easily achieve a one drop army.

43 minutes ago, Ken said:

What is a “screen charge”? 

What is the charge “clip trick”?

They reference the same thing generally speaking - the idea is to take full advantage of Tzaangor Enlightened (who get full re-rolls if an enemy has already attacked) so what you do (and there are several ways to do it) is get a screening unit (usually ungors) in front of Enlightened who are then killed off. After the Ungors are killed off you can pile in your Enlightened (who are right behind the Ungors) so that they get to attack with their full re-rolls but weren't made vulnerable to attacks at the same time. If you'd like to see it in action I'd suggest checking out Doom and Darkness's YouTube videos as its something he uses often.

14 hours ago, Congratz said:

Can somebody share thier competitive list? I have heard that Desolating beastHerd  is good but i dont really lile gors or chariots... The Tzeentch Battalion also looks really good! Thoughts? and  please share list if you can

I do run Phantasmagoria of Fate because I like having a one drop army. Here are two of the lists I've used:

List One - Gavespawn
-Beastlord - Mutating Gnarlblade
-Great Bray Shaman - General (Unravelling Aura), The Knowing Eye, Wild Rampage
-Tzaangor Shaman - Tendrils of Atrophy
-Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (Ally)
-10x Bestigors
-10x Bestigors
-40x Ungors
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungor Raiders
-10x Ungor Raiders
-5x Centigors
-6x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc
Phantasmagoria of Fate
Prismatic Palisade 

The general focus of this list is using board control paired with summoning to create a lot of pressure on my opponent. You've got 3 hammers that are mostly there to help you slow down other hammer units but depending on the match up you can bully with them as well (especially with Wild Rampage). Positioning and good charges are a major part of being successful with this list - you want to make sure you've got really only one hammer in at a time or else you run the risk of losing a fragile unit before it gets to swing. Another major to key to success is good summoning - this list likes to spend points early, dogs and chariots are a favorite of mine. The idea is just to summon chaff to pressure objectives and either force your opponent to keep units on objectives or abandon them and let you score. 

List Two - Dragon Ogre Shaggoth
-Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - General (Ancient Beyond Knowing), Gryph Feather Charm, Hailstorm
-Great Bray Shaman - The Knowing Eye, Wild Rampage
-Tzaangor Shaman - Tendrils of Atrophy
-6x Dragon Ogres - 3x Crushers, 3x Cleavers
-6x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc
-6x Tzaangor Skyfires
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungors
-10x Ungor Raiders
-10x Ungor Raiders
Phantasmagoria of Fate

This list is my more elite list - it uses the Dragon Ogres as a defensive pivot (they're fairly durable with decent punch near the Shaggoth) while the main damage dealers are the 2 Tzaangor units. This list takes more advantage of the above mentioned 'screen charge' but also uses a similar summoning strategy as the first list. The primary idea with this list is to pick your fights and leverage your hammers to help you win specific sections of the board (again with the focus on winning the scoring game). I think the key to using this list well is understanding where you can successfully apply pressure, especially with the Skyfires (who need to be charging pretty often to really be worth their points). 

I certainly don't think these are the only viable lists but these are 2 I've had success and fun with it so hopefully it'll be a spring board for some ideas. 

• Like 1

So b.c Bestigors get cheaper with units of 30, but do to base size, should i take my 30 in 1 unit, or 3x10 mans?

I like the idea of them getting cheaper, but i also like the idea of not stuck in 1 spot with such a good unit, but on the other hand i could charge them up the middle and try to do huge damage while not caring if 10 die.

11 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

So b.c Bestigors get cheaper with units of 30, but do to base size, should i take my 30 in 1 unit, or 3x10 mans?

I like the idea of them getting cheaper, but i also like the idea of not stuck in 1 spot with such a good unit, but on the other hand i could charge them up the middle and try to do huge damage while not caring if 10 die.

They do not get any buffs for being a big unit so i would say paying a few points extra for the advantage of controlling 3 units instead of 1 is worth it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

"They reference the same thing generally speaking - the idea is to take full advantage of Tzaangor Enlightened (who get full re-rolls if an enemy has already attacked) so what you do (and there are several ways to do it) is get a screening unit (usually ungors) in front of Enlightened who are then killed off. After the Ungors are killed off you can pile in your Enlightened (who are right behind the Ungors) so that they get to attack with their full re-rolls but weren't made vulnerable to attacks at the same time. If you'd like to see it in action I'd suggest checking out Doom and Darkness's YouTube videos as its something he uses often."

How does this work when making a charge?  It would seem to me this only works when receiving a charge.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

They reference the same thing generally speaking - the idea is to take full advantage of Tzaangor Enlightened (who get full re-rolls if an enemy has already attacked) so what you do (and there are several ways to do it) is get a screening unit (usually ungors) in front of Enlightened who are then killed off. After the Ungors are killed off you can pile in your Enlightened (who are right behind the Ungors) so that they get to attack with their full re-rolls but weren't made vulnerable to attacks at the same time. If you'd like to see it in action I'd suggest checking out Doom and Darkness's YouTube videos as its something he uses often.

How does this work when making a charge?  It would seem to me this only works when receiving a charge.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Ken said:

Its hard to describe in text but effectively the goal is to charge with Enlightened and Ungors and then use the Ungor pile-in to pin and block the unit you've charged where their only legal target (for most of the unit at least) is Ungors. This where clip charging becomes a big deal as well - you basically charge the Enlightened at a corner and then use your Ungor pile-in to prevent your opponent from piling towards the enlightened. 

Edited by SwampHeart
  • Like 1

The Idea ist that you Charge both the Ungor and the Tzaangors into an enemy unit.

You make full contact with the Ungors and only have one Tzaangor in contact with as few enemy Models as possible. The other Tzaangors are lined Up right behind zur Ungors.

So If they enemy attacks, He can only Attack one Tzaangor, the remaining attacks all Hit Ungors. You Pull Out the Ungor casualties making room for the Tzaangors to pile in and voila, you Hit the enemy unit with all the re-rolls.

1 hour ago, Salyx said:

The Idea ist that you Charge both the Ungor and the Tzaangors into an enemy unit.

You make full contact with the Ungors and only have one Tzaangor in contact with as few enemy Models as possible. The other Tzaangors are lined Up right behind zur Ungors.

So If they enemy attacks, He can only Attack one Tzaangor, the remaining attacks all Hit Ungors. You Pull Out the Ungor casualties making room for the Tzaangors to pile in and voila, you Hit the enemy unit with all the re-rolls.

Ok.  I didn't understand how you could make a successful charge with the Enlightened without getting at least one model within a 1/2" of the enemy.

I guess it would work even better when receiving the charge.  The Enlightened could sit behind the Ungors, out of reach of an enemy with only a 1" range. but would be able to hit the enemy themselves with their 2" spear range. 

Hi guys was just wondering what you think about my well trying to be competitive list. Any ideas for chances are welcome.

heros:550

Beastlord:90 (mutated Gnarlblade)

dragon ofre shaggoth:180 (Horn of the tempest, spells: sundering blades)

great bray shaman:100(spells: wild rampage, General)

Tzaangors shaman:180(vicious stranglethorn)

battleline:630p

10Bestigord:120p

30Gors:210p (shields)

10ungors:60p (spears)

others:360p

3dragon ogres:140p

3Tzaangor enlightenment:140p (on discs)

10ungor raiders:80p

Behemoths:200p

1Ghorgon:200p

Endless spells:60p

1cogs:60p

battalion:190p

brass despoilers:190p

total:1990p

Cp:1

Im a massive fan of chariots (even if they are not really competitive) and while i do love our chariot model I dont want all my chariots looking the same.Also finecast annoys me lol. So what alternatives could I use in conversions. Was thinking a box of chaos hounds to start with they could pull the chariots. Obviously abox of bestigor and gor for the riders. Its the chariot part im struggling with. Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Im a massive fan of chariots (even if they are not really competitive) and while i do love our chariot model I dont want all my chariots looking the same.Also finecast annoys me lol. So what alternatives could I use in conversions. Was thinking a box of chaos hounds to start with they could pull the chariots. Obviously abox of bestigor and gor for the riders. Its the chariot part im struggling with. Any ideas?

I’ve seen some great conversion work with the chaos warrior chariot.

Hello everyone! I was wondering, what is generally considered a good unit to summon with our points? I know it's always going to be depending on what you need and the situation, but I'm sure with experience there are some that seem to be more optimal? Cheers!

58 minutes ago, Xasto said:

Hello everyone! I was wondering, what is generally considered a good unit to summon with our points? I know it's always going to be depending on what you need and the situation, but I'm sure with experience there are some that seem to be more optimal? Cheers!

The beauty of it is, as you say, that it can shore up a need that you didn’t foresee. Suddenly need a late term objective camper? Have some gor/ungor infantry. Or a rush to get bodies to a contested objective? Have some centigors.

In general though, I have found a nicely timed chaos spawn to help with the gavespawn command ability, which I can start from 6” of any table edge is really useful (tend to take gavespawn brass despoilers, heavy on the Bullgors). And a late game Ghorgon has been invaluable on more than one occasion, so if no other opportunity arises on the way...