TBH I have a theory crafted list like this: 

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency 
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Rage
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Battleline
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives

Units
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Battalions
Brass Stampede (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

I do not expect this to be the most competitive list, but I think it would look incredible as an all mounted force and might do somewhat decently. 

I´d definetely try to squeeze in 1-2 units of flesh hounds (these are Khorne battleline) as well as Karanak. That way you gain access to 3 unbinds per round which can be rerolled if you place your DAEMON heros accordingly.

6 hours ago, Hannibal said:

I´d definetely try to squeeze in 1-2 units of flesh hounds (these are Khorne battleline) as well as Karanak. That way you gain access to 3 unbinds per round which can be rerolled if you place your DAEMON heros accordingly.

The only problem that I see here is that I, for  one, don't really know if you can take artifacts from both the realm and the alliance. I had posted a question on here and got one response which said yeah you can. However, the consensus at the local store is that you cannot. The Malign Sorcery book seems to support this. See page 79 in the header for Artifacts of the Realms.

14 minutes ago, Tasman said:

The only problem that I see here is that I, for  one, don't really know if you can take artifacts from both the realm and the alliance. I had posted a question on here and got one response which said yeah you can. However, the consensus at the local store is that you cannot. The Malign Sorcery book seems to support this. See page 79 in the header for Artifacts of the Realms.

Why do you talk about artifacts? Flesh Hounds as well as Karanak have the ability to unbind spells. It´s written on their warscroll. No artifacts needed. Karanak also offers the chance to summon an additional unit of Flesh Hounds.

Hello, i have known warhammer for a long time but just decided to start my first aos army, i have dark vengeance 40k but no more so i would like some advice.

I chose chaos starting with undivided ("slaves" to darkness). I would like to branch out to each god eventually. I like having lots of variety and bringing something different each game.

For now i have the start collecting, a hellcannon and 10 forsaken. In the attachment you can see my wishlist for chaos undivided (ignore the weapons). I'm not sure if this is ok though. I'm mostly worried about not having enough marauders or chaos warriors as meat of the army. Perhaps i should get more of those? another box marauders and another start collecting? More marauder horsemen too? I'm also worried that 5 furies are not enough to make an impact.

Thank you for reading and helping.

ChaoswarriorsUndividedMissmeermaraudersofwarriors_.pdf

12 minutes ago, Kloefklaffer said:

Hello, i have known warhammer for a long time but just decided to start my first aos army, i have dark vengeance 40k but no more so i would like some advice.

I chose chaos starting with undivided ("slaves" to darkness). I would like to branch out to each god eventually. I like having lots of variety and bringing something different each game.

For now i have the start collecting, a hellcannon and 10 forsaken. In the attachment you can see my wishlist for chaos undivided (ignore the weapons). I'm not sure if this is ok though. I'm mostly worried about not having enough marauders or chaos warriors as meat of the army. Perhaps i should get more of those? another box marauders and another start collecting? More marauder horsemen too? I'm also worried that 5 furies are not enough to make an impact.

Hi!

It depends on what your expectations are.  Figure out what you want to achieve, and you can build your collection toward that.

If you're out to have some fun and do a good hobby project, you're well on your way.  The Hellcannon and Forsaken are delightful kits and fun to paint.  If you have like-minded opponents, you will have a nice time playing too.  And in this mindset, you can go straight ahead with your wishlist, or almost any other list really.

If you are hoping for something more competitive, such as playing and maybe eventually winning "proper" Matched Play games in a public venue, well for starters StD isn't a super-competitive place to start from.  We have some solid choices, but you're not going to have a lot of luck taking down the top armies consistently - or, rather, it takes top-notch play with StD to overcome typical play from the top armies.  We're out of our depth entirely against top-notch play from a top army.

If you've got the passion for it (I do) you'll probably want to dial back from the Chaos allegiance and stick to Slaves to Darkness.  Sadly that means shelving the Hellcannon and Forsaken.  :(

I'm just looking to have fun, hellcannon and forsaken can be used as allies although not together. i am mainly wondering if i need more marauders for their barbarian horde bonus and more warriors to have more battle line troops. Perhaps some people can tell how many they use and for what purpose in their +-2000 point games. i read on a few places it was a must to have like 40 marauders and 2 block of at least 20 warriors to hold the lines. i wonder how you guys feel about that.

5 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Why do you talk about artifacts? Flesh Hounds as well as Karanak have the ability to unbind spells. It´s written on their warscroll. No artifacts needed. Karanak also offers the chance to summon an additional unit of Flesh Hounds.

I was responding to the wrong post here....

3 hours ago, Kloefklaffer said:

Depending on the alliance you're going with, I see a problem with the spawn and mutuality vortex beast, both of which are now exclusive to Tzeentch, unless you intend to ally them in.

7 hours ago, Kloefklaffer said:

I'm just looking to have fun, hellcannon and forsaken can be used as allies although not together. i am mainly wondering if i need more marauders for their barbarian horde bonus and more warriors to have more battle line troops. Perhaps some people can tell how many they use and for what purpose in their +-2000 point games. i read on a few places it was a must to have like 40 marauders and 2 block of at least 20 warriors to hold the lines. i wonder how you guys feel about that.

Sadly I don’t think they can. Slaves to darkness can ally with a lot of factions and still keep their allegiance bonuses or you could play generic chaos allegiance and just field what you think is fitting. But they are not in a faction you can ally.

Do you have the generals handbook? It explains the allies system, lists potential allies and gives the slaves to darkness allegiance abilities. 

Those are all strictly matched play based though unless you and your opponent decide to use the restrictions in narrative play & open play though :)  if you are just starting out with AoS and just looking to have fun I would: try to get everything to get to 1000pts, assemble and paint and play and from there add to your army what you feel fits. Because something is cool, because something adds something new to the army, because you want to paint it, because whatever. But that way I would know better what to add. 

As to your question i’m going for 40 marauders in a single unit with 20 chaos warriors and 10 knights as a core group and build around that because for me that mix is the essence of the faction visually. 

Edited by Kramer

Thanks for all the advice, i am not  worried about staying within slaves to darkness for every game, sometimes i might just go far grand alliance chaos and thus mix everything in.

@Tasman: I looked at the warscroll for chaos spawn on the GW site, besides tzeentch they also have slaves to darkness as a keyword.

@amysrevenge and Kramer: Thanks for sharing your core, that makes me realise i need more basic troops. I too like the visual theme of marauders and warriors side by side. I'm going to get another start collecting for the warriors and knights. I think an extra sorceror an chariot might come in handy too for that cheap price. i was doubting about getting 40 marauders but im going for it.

• Like 1

So I love Blood Bowl and all I've wanted is just a classic Blood Bowl themed army. Just Goatmen, Minotaurs and Chaos Warriors. So I came up with this list. Is it absolute garbage that will never ever win a single vs anyone or could it actually work?

Allegiance: Slaves To Darkness

Leaders
- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
- General
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
10 x Gors (80)
- Two Gor-Blades
- Allies
10 x Gors (80)
- Two Gor-Blades
- Allies
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)
- Greatblade
- Greatblade
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Pairs of Axes
- Allies

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 136

• Thanks 1

I'd ditch the Chaos Lord on foot and the Gors and take a huge unit of Ungor Raiders. IMO these are the only beastmen worth it in GA Chaos armies. Maybe Bestigors too with their reduced points. 

Ungor Raiders are relatively cheap with mediocre to good shooting. Nice for bubble wrapping your army. 

24 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I'd ditch the Chaos Lord on foot and the Gors and take a huge unit of Ungor Raiders. IMO these are the only beastmen worth it in GA Chaos armies. Maybe Bestigors too with their reduced points. 

Ungor Raiders are relatively cheap with mediocre to good shooting. Nice for bubble wrapping your army. 

I was taking the lord of chaos on foot so the army could run and charge with his command ability. Does that overlap with the battalion though? I picked Gors because they look the most like the Beastmen lineman from a Chaos Blood Bowl team and Bestigors were too expensive points-wise. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ravinsild said:

So I love Blood Bowl and all I've wanted is just a classic Blood Bowl themed army. Just Goatmen, Minotaurs and Chaos Warriors. So I came up with this list. Is it absolute garbage that will never ever win a single vs anyone or could it actually work?

Leaders
Lord Of Chaos (140)
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
- General
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
10 x Gors (80)
- Two Gor-Blades
- Allies
10 x Gors (80)
- Two Gor-Blades
- Allies
- Greatblade
- Greatblade
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Pairs of Axes
- Allies

Battalions

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 136

I more or less field the same army on 1250  - the beastmen. It can definitely work as i won already many battles with that list. I would reccomend to probably ditch an endless spell as 120 points with one wizard seems heavy. Im also pretty sure u cant take any spells from the lore of tzeentch as not everything has a tzeentch keyword, thus not being a tzeentch army, unless i missed something. And lastly, i would atleast give 1 unit of knights the glaives, as a flanker hard hitter, put the lord on mount next to them and they are hitting on 3+/3+/-1/2 dmg each, and the lord is not to be underestimated, with the right artifacts he is plowing through everything he sees. 

35 minutes ago, Greven said:

and the lord is not to be underestimated, with the right artifacts he is plowing through everything he sees. 

The Lord of Chaos on foot or the Mounted one? Also, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll keep cogs and remove the rest. That'll free up 80 points but I don't know what to spend them on. 

@Greven How does this list look? 

Leaders
- Runestaff
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
- General
Lord Of Chaos (140)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades

Units
- War Flail
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies

Battalions

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 135

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

The Lord of Chaos on foot or the Mounted one? Also, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll keep cogs and remove the rest. That'll free up 80 points but I don't know what to spend them on. 

Leaders
- Runestaff
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
- General
Lord Of Chaos (140)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades

Units
- War Flail
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies

Battalions

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Not really sure how effective MSU is for slaves and beasts. They seem like they'll melt even in close combat and against the numerous amount of "deal 1" or "deal D3 mortal wounds" that almost everyone has access to. Imo very few units work at their minimum sized in AoS (Putrid Blightkings are one of the few that actually are probably best at min size).

But for the most part, bigger units means-

1. They can survive to get into and fight past at least 1 round of combat (especially against Double combat round units like Nighthaunt)

2. More models can benefit from a unit buff.

Note that this is mostly in reference to foot infantry like chaos warriors and bestigors. Cavalry are ok in min sizes (they can get unwieldy in higher numbers sometimes).

Edited by kenshin620

13 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Not really sure how effective MSU is for slaves and beasts. They seem like they'll melt even in close combat and against the numerous amount of "deal 1" or "deal D3 mortal wounds" that almost everyone has access to. Imo very few units work at their minimum sized in AoS (Putrid Blightkings are one of the few that actually are probably best at min size).

But for the most part, bigger units means-

1. They can survive to get into and fight past at least 1 round of combat (especially against Double combat round units like Nighthaunt)

2. More models can benefit from a unit buff.

Note that this is mostly in reference to foot infantry like chaos warriors and bestigors. Cavalry are ok in min sizes (they can get unwieldy in higher numbers sometimes).

It’s mostly just a habit because I almost always build for MSU. Since it doesn’t change the points should I make it a blob of 20 Besties and a blob of 10 CW? 

Personally I always prefer MSU as it maximizes my chances of attacking with everyone in the unit and provide more units to split across the table and grab objectives. I guess whenever I’m able to buy this army I can try it out in multiple ways. 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:53 AM, Ravinsild said:

Leaders
- Runestaff
Darkoath Warqueen (80)
- General
Lord Of Chaos (140)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades

Units
- War Flail
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies
10 x Bestigors (120)
- Allies

Battalions

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Looks better to me, i also meant the lord on mount, it does crazy damage for example with an Ghyrstrike 2/2/-1/2, thats serious. 

Why not make the switch to tzeentch allegiance though? It makes your cogs better as u generate an extra spell for your wizard, u get destiny dice wich are incredible and everything in your army has permanent mystic shield from your tzeentch heroes.

The reason for tzeentch is just that nothing really benefits from having the run and charge in my opinion, i get that the battalion is a thing, but just measure your knights correctly, and keep your opponents average charge range in mind to not get charged yourself. The only unit u want to run amd charge is one unit of glaive knights, i think the switch could potentially be more significant.

A thing to notice is the lord on mount with mark of tzeentch re-rolls ALL failed saves, not just ones. Big deal. U can go a lot of ways with a list like this, also greater daemons as allies could be insane, i had the LoC as mortal wound bomb, a thing that fills up the gaps of Slaves in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greven said:

...i had the LoC as mortal wound bomb, a thing that fills up the gaps of Slaves in general...

That's a slippery slope! Once you start adding Tzeentch casters it's hard to stop; until 2e dropped, my standard S2D list had evolved into basically just rings of marauders protecting my "magical artillery emplacement". ?

I have a Tzeentch themed Slaves to Darkness army, mostly made up from old models. I tend to go with what I like to paint or what I picked up 2nd hand more than actual deep tactics, but I'd like to ask your help about how to build/extend two of my units!

- Is it better to go for two units of 5 chaos knights with hand weapon/shield (it's what they come with) or one unit of 10?

- I have one unit of 5 marauder horsemen with javelins (old ungor spears that fit very well). Should I extend them to 10 man, or build a 2nd 5 man unit with command with javelins, or a second 5 man unit with hand weapon/shield?

5 hours ago, Greven said:

Looks better to me, i also meant the lord on mount, it does crazy damage for example with an Ghyrstrike 2/2/-1/2, thats serious. 

Why not make the switch to tzeentch allegiance though? It makes your cogs better as u generate an extra spell for your wizard, u get destiny dice wich are incredible and everything in your army has permanent mystic shield from your tzeentch heroes.

The reason for tzeentch is just that nothing really benefits from having the run and charge in my opinion, i get that the battalion is a thing, but just measure your knights correctly, and keep your opponents average charge range in mind to not get charged yourself. The only unit u want to run amd charge is one unit of glaive knights, i think the switch could potentially be more significant.

A thing to notice is the lord on mount with mark of tzeentch re-rolls ALL failed saves, not just ones. Big deal. U can go a lot of ways with a list like this, also greater daemons as allies could be insane, i had the LoC as mortal wound bomb, a thing that fills up the gaps of Slaves in general. 

You’re asking a Khorne main why not Tzeentch? It’s because I hate Sorcery just as much as him! It pains me enough to have used the mark of slaneesh. I mostly just want to run them as Khorne. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1