AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Don't forget that many warscrolls might get reworked and there will likely be other things in there too - so the existing allegiance abilities might gain from that. It also might be that the same allegiance abilities remain but that they've been tweaked a little. 

Suffice to say, as always, its really hard to guess a things until one can see the whole picture in context. Right now its all clutching a bits here and there. 

4 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Ok I know I said I want changes but I want to get off GW's wild ride, these are bad changes.

I've not managed to watch any tome reviews yet to see, but I do want to point out to everyone the insanity that is a Thanquol armed with 4 Warpfire Projectors.

4 dice per model within 8" doing a MW on a 4+. That's...insane. He can't be skitterleaped anymore but hey, if he get's close to a horde...

Edited by Gwendar

Just now, GeneralZero said:

Stormfiends can't be one weapon spammed!!!! what???? What a mess! You can't build the army the way you want....phhhhh

Honnestly, I was close to take 2 or 3 carrion empire boxes only for stormfiends, and now, dunno, don't want skaven anymore.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this as well, but oh well. This just lets me mix in Gutter-Runners, Stormvermin or Clanrats in their place.

Con: Lore of Warpblah Galvanism is a mighty three spells, none of which are that great. 

Con: Arch-Warlock still doesn't get a command ability. 

Con: it is impossible to play pure Skryre plus one or two units of Clanrats in a game of 2000 points.

Con: artefacts seem to remain pretty meh.

Con: no changes to the battalion. Cheapest configuration is 170 points.

Con: that Stormfiend weapon loadout change is a hill I am prepared to die on.

Pro: Acolytes are a bit better.

Pro: the Skryre command traits are a little improved.

Pro: warpstone sparks are better.

Pro: Jezzails might actually be worth taking now with some of the buff combinations.

54 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Con: Lore of Warpblah Galvanism is a mighty three spells, none of which are that great. 

Con: Arch-Warlock still doesn't get a command ability. 

Con: it is impossible to play pure Skryre plus one or two units of Clanrats in a game of 2000 points.

Con: artefacts seem to remain pretty meh.

Con: no changes to the battalion. Cheapest configuration is 170 points.

Con: that Stormfiend weapon loadout change is a hill I am prepared to die on.

Pro: Acolytes are a bit better.

Pro: the Skryre command traits are a little improved.

Pro: warpstone sparks are better.

Pro: Jezzails might actually be worth taking now with some of the buff combinations.

Pro: doomwheel  is much better. It has a 4d6 move and can roll over multiple units. It’s warp lightning is hitting and wounding on 3s instead of 4s.

pro: warpfire throwers are MUCH better.  If you tag two units and super charge, you can delete hordes. 

Pro: warp lightning cannon got two more wounds.

pro: the Skyre mega battalion is pretty doable, has a lot of flexibility built into and pretty much guarantees you a one drop army.

Edited by Chikout

34 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So, how would you evaluate the skaven content of the carrion empire box? I was planning to get 3 (but resell one canon and one wheel). Is it interesting to build an army this way?

The Lightning Cannon is a duel kit that can be built as Cannon or Plague Catapult. 
Otherwise you get a very good core for Skyre; you get Sormfiends (Battleline); you get Doom Wheels, Canon and a Leader. 

I would say 2 kits offers no waste at all, at 3 kits and you might have one wheel and leader too many; but at the same time could build a theme list around both if you wished. 

I'm planning on getting a  box and splitting the contents with a Flesh Eaters player - both thus getting double of what we want and losing the half we don't want. 

Note the price for all the skaven content alone is £87 on the GW webstore whilst the Carrion Empire is £95. So if you can sell off/share the Flesh Eaters content you're getting a really good deal from the set .

Edited by Overread

So with the stormfiend changes doesn'tt it make the units pretty bad? If your slogging at range you cant have triple cannons,  so if you want a range squad its different ranges and damages. If you want melee its 3 different melee weapons for different rolls and effects. Won't this slow down the rolls when fighting with the unit too?

• Like 1

Probably yeah. 

I think we need to start a conversation about how we’re gonna get bodies if we’re going for the Stormfiend battleline route and we really can’t ally in Clanrats etc. At least with Grinderfists each unit can now deep strike if necessary and come in later to take objectives. 

I’ve bought 5 Acolytes today. I don’t think it’ll be enough bodies or wounds but it’ll do for a start. 

What kind of lists are people thinking? Warscroll Batallion?

Wondering if units of 6 Fiends might work for bodies and menace. Have tried out the new Doomwheel and the shooting is pretty nice. Extra 2 wounds on the cannons is also welcome but we lose the +1 to save in shooting. 

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Extra 2 wounds on the cannons is also welcome but we lose the +1 to save in shooting

The WLC has a flat save of 4+ now though, right? So it's a win overall.

On-on with Acolytes. 15 so far... not sure how many more Stormvermin and Admech bits I have to make more! Need more gasmasks and backpacks and ghoul arms...

IMG-20190210-WA0008~2.jpeg

• Like 3

Holy moly. The warpstone sparks are much better. Old rule- +1 damage on one weapon on one model. New rule +1 damage on all missile weapons on 3  units. Deranged inventor now works on any unit. So you can have stormfiends armed with rattling cannons and wind launchers. 3d6 attacks rerolling hits doing 2 damage each and 3 attacks rerolling hits with 3 rend doing d3 plus 1 damage each. You can also use the vigordust injector so the stormfiends are hitting on 3s rerolling! Hello shooting meta!

Also the vial of the fulminator means your doomwheel can move 8d6 wounding every unit it moves over. That’s sounds fun. I didn’t play a Skyre army before, but with reliable shooting, improved movement, and great anti horde options, it isn’t looking like a very tempting army.   

You can also take take thanquol as your general and keep your special battleline options. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Thanquol actually seems quite nice as a skryre general... Gnawholes seem to fit Skryre more than verminus (because how hard it is to tunnel 40 clanrats instead of 3 stormfiends or one cannon), and with the arcane terrain thanquol gets +3 to cast! Insane! And you can just evade it through a gnawhole if it gets ugly

The endless spells seem great for skryre too (vermintide to screen, the vortex)

Edited by Num

Listened to the Facehammer podcast (at least the end bit with the Batallions), sounds like the Batallion is way too expensive and they’ve removed the 3” deep strike so I think I’ll just take more models. 

So here’s what I’m going to start with:

Grey Seer as General, Arch Warlock, Warlock Bombardier

3x3 Stormfiends

3 WLC

Doomwheel

Balewind for Seer to cast Warp Lightning Vortex at 32”.

2k unless my maths is wrong. 

Put Grinders on the Fiends and bring them in close to objectives. Have the Bombardier babysit a couple of cannons while firing off his rockets so he can supercharge them when they have a wound or two to go. Use the Seer to cast the Vortex and irradiate an objective. Send the Doomwheel off to distract and cause chaos. 

Feedback appreciated!!

Edited by 5kaven5lave
Messing with build again.

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Listened to the Facehammer podcast (at least the end bit with the Batallions), sounds like the Batallion is way too expensive and they’ve removed the 3” deep strike so I think I’ll just take more models. 

So here’s what I’m going to start with:

Grey Seer as General, Arch Warlock, Warlock Bombardier

3x3 Stormfiends

3 WLC

Doomwheel

Balewind for Seer to cast Warp Lightning Vortex at 32”.

2k unless my maths is wrong. 

Put Grinders on the Fiends and bring them in close to objectives. Have the Bombardier babysit a couple of cannons while firing off his rockets so he can supercharge them when they have a wound or two to go. Use the Seer to cast the Vortex and irradiate an objective. Send the Doomwheel off to distract and cause chaos. 

Feedback appreciated!!

Wait, does the Grey Seer not break Skryre allegiance???