Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Here is the new thread for discussing Clan Skyre. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Clan Skyre in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/11269-let´s-talk-skyre/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing Clan Skryre a lot in the past year or so...a 24 model list mostly. As you can imagine, this can go badly sometimes in objective based missions. with the new Summoning rules in AoS2 there is a fix for this: Warpseer Verminlord. His command ability allows you to summon 3d6 Giant Rats per Command Point used per his Command Ability. Here are the bodies needed to claim objectives. So now you have Mortal Wounds (Spells, Warpfire Throwers), Mobility (inherent 6" move plus Gautfyre), resiliency (Stormfiends) and board control (Giant Rats). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dez said:

I've been playing Clan Skryre a lot in the past year or so...a 24 model list mostly. As you can imagine, this can go badly sometimes in objective based missions. with the new Summoning rules in AoS2 there is a fix for this: Warpseer Verminlord. His command ability allows you to summon 3d6 Giant Rats per Command Point used per his Command Ability. Here are the bodies needed to claim objectives. So now you have Mortal Wounds (Spells, Warpfire Throwers), Mobility (inherent 6" move plus Gautfyre), resiliency (Stormfiends) and board control (Giant Rats). 

What's your current skaven list looking like for AoS2? 

I'm think of trying the skitterleap with Thanquol & Boneripper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With new points:

  • Skryre Battallion
  • Gautfyre
  • Gaspchoke

 

  • Archwarlock
  • Verminlord Warpseer
  • Warlock
  • Warlcock
  • Packmaster

 

  • Stormfiends x6 (Warpfire)
  • Stormfiends (Grinderfists)
  • Acolytes x5
  • Acolytes x5
  • Warpgrinder Team
  • Warpfire Team
  • Poison Wind Mortar

Definitely going to work on trying Thanquol and Boneripper out too, I've had that latest model since it came out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit salty that nobody thought to give Skryre an allegiance ability that actually makes sense rather than the one where units get +2 bravery for every ten models. Y'know, cos only the €10/model Acolytes come in units of more than 9.

*squeaks in disapproval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

I'm a bit salty that nobody thought to give Skryre an allegiance ability that actually makes sense rather than the one where units get +2 bravery for every ten models. Y'know, cos only the €10/model Acolytes come in units of more than 9.

*squeaks in disapproval

That rule is a holdover from the Verminous Clawpack, oddly enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wanting to start up some ratmen for a small warband. Skryre the best. Considering painting them all albino, Skaven outcasts just out to steal magic and warpstone where they can. I want to mainly go with a melee/close quarters based army, not one that sits back and camps with weapon teams. How's this look? This is my first time dealing with Skaven so I'm not sure on a lot like artifacts or traits or what weapons to use. Using the new points from the leaked GHB2018.

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Creature 
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 2 x Ratling Gun, Warpfire Projector
3 x Stormfiends (290)
- 2 x Shock Gauntlets, Warpfire Projector
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Total: 960 / 1000
Allies: 180 / 200
Wounds: 70

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cool 40 points left over for an endless spell for your Arch Warlock into the bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone here ever had any success with Warpfire Throwers? They either die quickly or sit around most of the game doing nothing... I have a comparable problem with Acolytes but they fill a Battleline tax for little points and have performed better on occassion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Reeve said:

Has anyone here ever had any success with Warpfire Throwers? They either die quickly or sit around most of the game doing nothing... I have a comparable problem with Acolytes but they fill a Battleline tax for little points and have performed better on occassion. 

Yeah, well they are great against those Stormcast on  drakes.

and with the new rules the drakes cannot shot out of combat, destroying your poor warp fire teams.

which is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah, well they are great against those Stormcast on  drakes.

and with the new rules the drakes cannot shot out of combat, destroying your poor warp fire teams.

which is great.

I just have a lot of trouble of actually getting it into range. I've had 2-3 games where at the end it hasn't really done anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Reeve said:

Has anyone here ever had any success with Warpfire Throwers? They either die quickly or sit around most of the game doing nothing... I have a comparable problem with Acolytes but they fill a Battleline tax for little points and have performed better on occassion. 

If you take Skryre Allegiance, Skryre Battalion and the Gautfyre Skorch it's absolutely amazing. I took 5 Warpfire Throwers and 3 Stormfiends with Warpfire Throwers and it just kills whatever needs to be killed. The Gautfyre Skorch allows you to deploy outside of 3" of any enemy, or WITHIN 3" but each unit takes d6 Mortal Wound. So you will be in range, and have an easy charge afterwards. Don't forget to double your damage when you roll a 6 for Mortal Wounds on the Warpfire Throwers in Skyre Allegiance by using a Warpstone Spark. When my friend wants to play a competetive list, this is the one he is thinking of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Reeve said:

Has anyone here ever had any success with Warpfire Throwers? They either die quickly or sit around most of the game doing nothing... I have a comparable problem with Acolytes but they fill a Battleline tax for little points and have performed better on occassion. 

I usually run them behind an allied clanrat unit or trail them behind stormfiends or wait till most things are in combat to move them into range 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dez said:

If you take Skryre Allegiance, Skryre Battalion and the Gautfyre Skorch it's absolutely amazing. I took 5 Warpfire Throwers and 3 Stormfiends with Warpfire Throwers and it just kills whatever needs to be killed. The Gautfyre Skorch allows you to deploy outside of 3" of any enemy, or WITHIN 3" but each unit takes d6 Mortal Wound. So you will be in range, and have an easy charge afterwards. Don't forget to double your damage when you roll a 6 for Mortal Wounds on the Warpfire Throwers in Skyre Allegiance by using a Warpstone Spark. When my friend wants to play a competetive list, this is the one he is thinking of.

I assumed you cannot use the Warpstone on a Warpfire weapon considering it doesn't have a damage profile. And our group only plays 1000 point games at the moment so using the Gautfyre Skorch is not possible. 

 

24 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I usually run them behind an allied clanrat unit or trail them behind stormfiends or wait till most things are in combat to move them into range 

Moving them with my Stormfiends might be smart. I usually also run projectors so that gives them a comparable threat range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Reeve said:

I assumed you cannot use the Warpstone on a Warpfire weapon considering it doesn't have a damage profile. And our group only plays 1000 point games at the moment so using the Gautfyre Skorch is not possible. 

 

Moving them with my Stormfiends might be smart. I usually also run projectors so that gives them a comparable threat range. 

You thought correctly. No doubling mortal wounds ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops! Luckily I didn't use it much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okedoke fiddled with the list and got rid of the Acolytes. I'll take them with Gascloud if I get to 2k. This is what I think the 'strongest' list for 1k I can find. Will it make me lose friends though? 

Warlock Engineer 100

Stormfiends 290 2x Warpfire 1x Ratling Gun

Stormfiends 290 2x Shock Gauntlets 1x Grinderfist 

Lightning Cannon 180

Poison wind Mortar 60

Poison wind Mortar 60

I'd like to include a Packmaster but I don't have the points really. The idea is to have the weapon teams on an objective in the back, pelting away at a horde. The engineer and the lightning cannon attack enemies with higher save/are more scary while the fire/Ratling Stormfiend moves up the board while the other digs in the backfield to melt things with shock gauntlets. 

I'm not super sold on the Stormfiends weapon choices yet. Any ideas on how to build them best? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all six options, poison wind launchers are absolutely the least popular, and unless you really like the design of them (in which case no reasonable person will fault you), I doubt you will find anyone who recommends them. 

There seems to be a bit of debate about shock gauntlets vs doomflayers but I think generally shock gauntlets are preferred. Warp grinder fists are very useful utility-wise if you want to get your Stormfriends where they need to be, and are fine enough in combat on top of that.

When it comes to ratling guns vs warpfire throwers, personally I like the warpfire throwers better, though it depends what you're fighting. Ratling guns are better vs hordes, while the (almost) guaranteed damage of the warpfire throwers will get that irritating monster off the board, quick-fast! 

I don't think anyone really enjoys being mortal wounded to death though, so bear that in mind when it comes to making friends and influencing people. By all means give it a shot in one game (I'm going to) and see how it goes, but you don't wanna be That Guy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

~snip~

Do you think it's generally good to max out three of the same weapons in a squad, or is a mix more viable? I was considering putting a Grinderfist in each squad because they seem to be the most reliable melee weapon, with their flat 3 damage. Plus that means I can choose to deep strike them if I wish. But if I don't, is that a wasted slot then? 

Warpfire Throwers seem essential on Stormfiends even if they're a little cheesy. They're too good not to take. Doomflayers don't seem all that great because you can roll 2 attacks and only do 2 damage. Which is a bit silly. I'm not counting the various buffs you can get, by the way. I tend to favor reliability. 

In that same vein, Ratling guns seem like a waste. If they were a 4+/3+ or something, that'd be a different story. As they are, you're rolling a bunch of dice and sending your heavy hitters after chaff. Know what I mean? Windlaunchers are cool, but we have mortars for that.

So that sorta leaves three weapons. Warpfire projectors, Grinderfists, and shock gauntlets. I don't think I'm gonna run into any issue with the load out I'm planning, for my two squads. One Squad with two Warpfires, and a Grinderfist. And one with two shock gauntlets and a Grinderfist.

When I get to three, that'll be a different story. Then, maybe, a squad of one Warpfire and 2 Ratling guns won't go amiss helping your backfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I just got the ghb 2018, and got to have a proper look to see how skyre allegiance ability was changed. Before I begin any analysis, here's the changed part in the ability (word for word):

Add 1 to the damage characteristic of a weapon used by a friendly skyre model that has made a successful attack.

This obviously replaces the old double damage thingy. Anyway here's few points:

1. Based on core rules, successful attack is when enemy fails save roll so that is when this ability triggers.

2. Nowhere in the ability could I see mention that this is temporary effect. I'm not sure if that was intended or not (or if I missed some key detail) but I'd assume wording for temporary effect would be something along lines of this: "add 1 to the damage of each successful attack this turn" or similar. This could mean that you can stack the damage boost for single model at the time for every shooting/combat phase. (So even without the spark you could shoot 2 damage with each succesful ratling gun shot next turn for that model).

3. Regardless whether the effect is temporary or not, 1 thing is clear: it affects all successful attacks made by that model (so ratling guns and shock gauntlets are amazing with it).

This however creates one rather annoying thing: you have to roll every single model seperately until you choose to boost the damage. After all, if you roll all at once, how do you know (without different color dice) which model made which attacks. This is somewhat cumbersome and a slow way to do things.

 

So anyway there's my analysis. What do you think? Is it temporary effect or permanent buff? If you ask me, I wouldn't see permanent buff be a op in any way (not with all the other crazy allegiance abilities coming with new armies) but I think this is something that needs faq clarification (or someone better reading rules than me).

Edit* forgot to mention, kickback damage for using spark is now only d3 mw instead of d6 if it triggers.

Edited by angrycontra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

-Stormfriends thoughts-

You make a good point about where to utilise your own heavy hitters- depending on which enemy you're facing, using your mighty Stormfriends to mow down a horde of bubblewrapping Namarti Thralls while the Morsarr Guard murder everything else would be a waste of your elite cuddly bois. I find it hard to want to use Ratling Guns- the dream is all Warpfire Throwers, all the time, but without conversions this is expensive (even with conversions, it's tricky).

10 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

-allegiance ability thoughts-

As comfortable as we ought to be playing dirty and seizing every advantage we can get, I would be leery of claiming the warpstone token doubles the damage for the rest of the game. The other uses are limited to one particular action, so I doubt it's intended to be used as postulated, but I could easily be wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Add 1 to the damage characteristic of a weapon used by a friendly skyre model that has made a successful attack.

I honestly struggle to read this as being a permanent effect in any way. I'm also a little unsure in what sense you read this as having an effect on 'all successful attacks by that model'. If the rattling cannons do 3d6 attacks at one damage each, then as per the core rules a successful attack is one wound roll for which the corresponding save has been failed. It goes on, in the core rules, to then describe how 'each successful attack inflicts damage on the target unit' and so on.

 

Per the wording you've quoted from the GHB, then, it stands to reason that after rolling your 3d6 attacks on the rattling cannons, for instance, and working out how many wounds should be allocated, you then double the damage characteristic of 'a successful attack'. That is, if one successful attack deals one damage, you double it, only adding one to the total wounds allocated. It specifically does *not* say that you 'add 1 to the damage characteristic [...] for each successful attack'. And further still, if it specifies 'a successful attack', then it certainly doesn't imply 'each successful attack that the model makes for the remainder of the game'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think Skryre needs a horde or chaff for support, such as Clanrats or plague monks, or do you think we can get by with MSU Acolytes and Stormfriends? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RatOfGod said:

I honestly struggle to read this as being a permanent effect in any way. I'm also a little unsure in what sense you read this as having an effect on 'all successful attacks by that model'. If the rattling cannons do 3d6 attacks at one damage each, then as per the core rules a successful attack is one wound roll for which the corresponding save has been failed. It goes on, in the core rules, to then describe how 'each successful attack inflicts damage on the target unit' and so on.

 

Per the wording you've quoted from the GHB, then, it stands to reason that after rolling your 3d6 attacks on the rattling cannons, for instance, and working out how many wounds should be allocated, you then double the damage characteristic of 'a successful attack'. That is, if one successful attack deals one damage, you double it, only adding one to the total wounds allocated. It specifically does *not* say that you 'add 1 to the damage characteristic [...] for each successful attack'. And further still, if it specifies 'a successful attack', then it certainly doesn't imply 'each successful attack that the model makes for the remainder of the game'.

It says "increase damage characteristic of the WEAPON by 1" weapon implies the entire weapon for that model which in turn would mean that all attacks benefit from that damage increase since all attacks happen at the same time.

But hey what do I know, I'm no rules writer. Maybe this ability is just crappy massive nerf to the original but the wording used is pretty terrible either way. I'm not trying to powerplay here, I'm just showing that there is multiple ways to interpret this ability. Anyway, until faq comes, I'm going to play this ability assuming that it buffs all the attacks made by model but not as permanent effect, because if it is literally nothing more than +1 damage to the total, it is literally the worst allegiance ability in the history of aos period and I'd like to believe gw doesn't just shat on skyre just for the sake of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×