AoS 2 - Clan Skyre Discussion

Gaz Taylor

14 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Wait-wait, the Arch-Warlock can cast two spells?!? Aarrgghh I have been a fool-idiot!

The warscroll is fairly explicit about it - 'An Arch-warlock is a wizard. He can attempt to cast two different spells in each of your hero phases'.

I do feel like the rule of one limits the Archwarlocks casting potential (though obviously a lot better now we have endless spells and the like).

Still hoping for a “spells of ruin” spell list to choose from eventually!

how are other people getting on with counterspelling by the way? Finding three enough? 

On 7/24/2018 at 4:20 PM, kenshin620 said:

Well if you dont mind Non Skaven, could fill the Battleline Tax with x3 ungors (total 180pts). Could even say "they're ungor slaves"!

Any chaos unit can be a Skaven unit as long as there is a verminlord that transformed them ;) "They are ungors, but turned into Skaven."

8 minutes ago, Kugane said:

"They are ungors, but turned into Skaven."

You reminded me that in Malign Portent book there was mention about human worshippers of Great Horned Rat. I imagine that it works like usual Chaos Champion's rise to power, but with a little twist. You kill and conquer for your god to ascend and rule over your own dominion in the warp as a Daemon Prince, but in the end you're being turned into a lowly slave to be used as cannon fodder by other Skaven and Champions. :) Nice irony.

Edited by michu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, michu said:

You reminded me that in Malign Portent book there was mention about human worshippers of Great Horned Rat. I imagine that it works like usual Chaos Champion's rise to power, but with a little twist. You kill and conquer for your god to ascend and rule over your own dominion in the warp as a Daemon Prince, but in the end you're being turned into a lowly slave to be used as cannon fodder by other Skaven and Champions. :) Nice irony.

Human worshippers of the great horned rat? Thats quite interresting. I need to go read into that! :o

So, how about this in a competitive setting? Trying to have all bases covered. What realm artifacts have you all found useful since all that's good for Skryre allegiance is vigordust?

Considering an alternative version that drops 2 Mortars for another cannon, unsure of which would be better. 

Allegiance: Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- Allies
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies
3 x Stormfiends (Warpfire) (290)
3 x Stormfiends (Shock Gauntlets) (290)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Clan Skryre (80)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Gascloud Chokelung (70)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 92

I think that one is up for debate really - I prefer two cannons just because I prefer the security of rolling for a hero phase shot and if it all goes wrong theres still one left, or similarly firing the equivalent of 3 shots per turn.

I have found that the mortars are a bit hit and miss (lol) outside of the hero phase where the gas cloud ability is pretty handy. In the shooting phase I typically find that only one in three of any actually get to wound a unit.

swings and roundabouts really though :)

• Thanks 1

I really love the idea of Jezzails and rat snipers, so I spent the past day or two on my subway ride to work reviewing every Chaos warscroll looking for any buffs. synergies, or tactics to make Jezzails work. Did some math to compare them to other artillery pieces per point effectiveness, some allegiance abilities that may have helped, really put some thought into them

And I have to report that for anyone that had a shred of hope left for them, Jezzails are useless and there is no reasonable way to buff then to decent effectiveness. 

Their mechanic of doing 2 MW on a 6+ to hit from 30" feels like it could be really good in the right list, but basically everything Chaos only buffs hit rolls in melee (although a cheap Hero general with the Lord of War trait and a unit of 9 Jezzails *could* be kinda interesting, its just such a huge resource investment into something that will never recoup its cost)

Just sad because they are such a cool idea for a unit with a fun model and some amazing conversion possibilities (picking up some 40K Skitarii snipers to convert some plastic Jezzails today), oh well thanks for nothing GW 

3 hours ago, Steelgrin said:

I think that one is up for debate really - I prefer two cannons just because I prefer the security of rolling for a hero phase shot and if it all goes wrong theres still one left, or similarly firing the equivalent of 3 shots per turn.

True, I kind of thought the same. I've had it blow up on me first turn before, and in a the current meta of "kill all heroes/wizards asap" I would find that more valuable...plus, yeah, I never hit anything with mortars and even if I do it can only do 6 damage now over 12.

2 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Just sad

Basically sums it up. I put a lot of work into converting 9 for them to be useless over a cannon now. Love the idea of them, and still try to use 6 in a mixed Chaos list but overall the cannon always pulls more weight since no one leaves their hero units unattended anymore. I tried with vigordust one game but it just wasn't worth it, especially over using it with shock gauntlet stormfiends.

Maybe they could lower the cost, but then I imagine the MW's mechanic would be lost to compensate knowing GW, but even then hitting a hero(their sole purpose imo) on 5's would be horrendous unless the to-hit went down a point as well. 

Edited by Gwendar

Hopefully this is the correct spot to put this. If possible could I please ask the More experienced skryre players a question.

looking at starting a little skryre army but you do not seem to be able to buy Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team anymore? Are they no longer available? Do I just need to check out eBay etc to try and get some?

Many thanks.

18 minutes ago, deumosd said:

Hopefully this is the correct spot to put this. If possible could I please ask the More experienced skryre players a question.

looking at starting a little skryre army but you do not seem to be able to buy Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team anymore? Are they no longer available? Do I just need to check out eBay etc to try and get some?

Many thanks.

Well the poisoned wind mortar team is a Modell which was only available in the bloodisland kit.

since Gw discontinued the set, you will probably have to look on eBay for it 

I still play Skryre almost exclusively most of the time. The warpspark faq hurt a bit, but overall I never relied on it anyway in either aos 1 or 2. 

Jezzails have become mostly useless over just taking more cannons in my opinion, and I've yet to lose across 4 games while running an Arkhspark+Gascloud with 2 cannons. 

I highly recommend adding a warpseer so you can generate giant rats. They work exceptionally well as a screen or at grabbing objectives while the rest of the army does all the work. Overall I think Skryre feels about the same, some things just shifted a bit but we're as good as previously I would say. 

There's a tournament at the end of every month at my flgs so may have a batrep then to post up. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I still play Skryre almost exclusively most of the time. The warpspark faq hurt a bit, but overall I never relied on it anyway in either aos 1 or 2. 

Jezzails have become mostly useless over just taking more cannons in my opinion, and I've yet to lose across 4 games while running an Arkhspark+Gascloud with 2 cannons. 

I highly recommend adding a warpseer so you can generate giant rats. They work exceptionally well as a screen or at grabbing objectives while the rest of the army does all the work. Overall I think Skryre feels about the same, some things just shifted a bit but we're as good as previously I would say. 

There's a tournament at the end of every month at my flgs so may have a batrep then to post up. 

So which list did you settle on finally?

Is the warpseer your only source of screen, and, if so, is it enough?

Cheers

I ended up settling on this. I tried a few games without the extra cannon and instead added in some more mortars, but wasn't a huge fan frankly. I prefer to be able to shoot with the cannons 3 times per phase and almost always get some wounds out than gamble with the mortars doing anything at all (they usually miss).

I may try out dropping the packmaster for his buff on the shock gauntlet unit and use those 60 points for another use of the warpseers command ability. Getting as many of those out 1st turn so they can move in the 2nd has been crucial in my games. Previously I did what most people do and used clanrat screens, but these have worked well enough on their own without the use of any additional screens. After all, the clanrats save value may as well be nonexistent like the giant rats with the amount of rend I come up against.

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Allies
Packmaster (60)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (290)
Shock Gauntlets

3 x Stormfiends (290)
Warpfire Throwers

5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)

Units

War Machines

Battalions
Clan Skryre (80)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Gascloud Chokelung (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

*snip*

I was actually just discussing this idea in the AoS discord. I like the idea of the Warpseer, but I just don't know how useful he is. This is what I came up with. The Arch Warlock on Balewind is a 2+ save spell casting monster, nigh unkillable on an objective, especially if you give him that ethereal relic. Worth it over the Packmaster? Maybe. Stormfiends have 3x Warpfire/1x Warpgrinder 2x Shock Gauntlets. 

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Creature 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
3 x Stormfiends (290)
Gascloud Chokelung (70)
Arkhspark Voltik (70)
Clan Skryre (80)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

Edited by RaritanAnon

See, I had considered that as well honestly, but with all of the wizards I get anyway I wasn't too sure how to feel about the balewind benefits for 1 wizard when I could just generate more bodies with the same 60 points. I do have a unit of 1 Grinder + 2 Ratling gun fiends I use occasionally, but they tend to whiff on their rolls more often than not. 

Vigordust+Packmaster practically guarantees a unit deletion most of the time, and so far I've had better luck with that. It just depends on the army honestly. Deepstriking? Drop the packmaster for more rats to screen my backline wizards. Shooty armies? More giant rats or maybe just throw in a palisade to protect the stormfiends marching up the board. The overall core does decently, but those 60 points can make a huge difference, depending. 

@NikobotI've been up against Tzeentch and a heavy Shooting/Magic list with SCE and both proved to not be too much trouble. For the SCE I just used giant rat summoning to block off his cav units trying to get to my wizards and proceeded to nuke away using MW spells and cannons (and the d6 MW mortar shot in hero phase) which cleared out his heroes while Stormfiends neutered his shooting units. His 10 man liberator screens couldn't stand up to a buffed unit of shock gauntlets.

Tzeentch was a bit more difficult, but so far I have only played them in 1k (newer player, still trying to build up his army) but I really rolled like absolute trash in our most recent. Across the whole game I maybe got off 3-4 spells across my arch-warlock and engineer 2 of which were unbound even with my spark re-rolls..it just wasn't a good day for my dice. He has generally only ever been able to generate enough fate points to get back a herald on disc or pink horrors, which really did nothing for him since it was so late in the game by the time that could happen and my stormfiend units + cannon have no issues dealing with anything in his army outside of his more resilient Tzaangor unit of 20 (soon to be 30) that can hold up the fiends for a turn or two and whittle them down.

Overall the same concept applied: Shoot heros with cannons and MW everything down with the wizards. At that point it's a simple game of playing cleanup with everything else.

I will say that normally spark re-rolls have been the only use for sparks, but occasionally that 1 extra damage is useful in order to finish off a hero that saved just enough wounds to be at 1 wound left, and I will opt to use it for that instead. I wouldn't say I rely on magic for anything, I put most of my heavy lifting into cannons and stormfiends and so far it has worked well.

• Thanks 1