AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

22 hours ago, Keldaur said:

Rend 2 are characters except the banshees. You don't want most of your characters facetanking those things. And it's also not that good against 2+ rerollin ones, not to speak about those with rerolling 1s and ethereal amulet.

I am not going anywhere withouth atleast one unit of spirit hosts and ruler of the spirit hosts. Harvest moon can help with that 9 spirit hosts could deal a lot of mortal wounds on a given turn , but we are artifact starved to be honest (lens, windfell, midnight tome, etc). Olynder can deal a sizeable amount of MWs in a given hero phase too.

not much have 2 up anymore after m-shield got rule out so treelords would be at a 5 up so not that crasy anymore and they reroll 1 12 buff banshees should be able to deal with that f you charge i took 15 wound on a war mammoth in one turn with 8 banshees buff up to 3 attack pr model

3 hours ago, Rahr said:

not much have 2 up anymore after m-shield got rule out so treelords would be at a 5 up so not that crasy anymore and they reroll 1 12 buff banshees should be able to deal with that f you charge i took 15 wound on a war mammoth in one turn with 8 banshees buff up to 3 attack pr model

You didn't understand me. People talked about treelord and Stardrake. Even withouth the m-shield both have ways to get to 2+ (1+ in stardrake's case), reroll ones or get the ethereal amulet ( 3+ save unmodifiable) rerolling ones. A -2 rend is insuficient to realibily wound those models, hence why you need mortal wounds to efficiently deal with them.

Edited by Keldaur

Circling back to dealing with those big tanky models, the destruction player in me is a little disappointed that Nighthaunt don't really have a beatstick (though I know that isn't really the playstyle).

Is our strategy at this point going to be horde it up, and fish for mortal wounds? I'd loved to have had a big centerpiece model to deal damage and hold areas of the board. Even the Black Coach doesn't seem to fit that role.

that's also my feeling about no really super big hitter. The center piece role goes to Black coach but not really a hitter, more an utility.

But, the king and oly, seconded byt strong units are really heavy hammer. But not stardrake or archaon like. Maybe to leave this to Nagash himself...

That's also why I'm looking at you Forge World with your mourngul :P

Edited by GeneralZero

2 hours ago, ajax_xaja said:

Circling back to dealing with those big tanky models, the destruction player in me is a little disappointed that Nighthaunt don't really have a beatstick (though I know that isn't really the playstyle).

Is our strategy at this point going to be horde it up, and fish for mortal wounds? I'd loved to have had a big centerpiece model to deal damage and hold areas of the board. Even the Black Coach doesn't seem to fit that role.

It might just be me, but my Mourngul dishes out MW's like nobody's business. Once Black Coach comes out put a bunch of Spirit hosts around it and they will deal them just as well. Plus the Black Coach will heal itself and bring back slain Spirit Hosts every hero phase.

13 hours ago, ajax_xaja said:

I think running a generic buffing horde army is one way of playing Nighthaunt. I'll probably play more aggressively with them though, as I always think of horde armies playing an attrition style game. With the abundance of movement options available I will likely go for an alpha strike, board control, or hammer and anvil. I'm sure they'll each be good for certain battleplans and against certain armies.

The lack of heavy hitters means you have to play strategically and attempt to enemy units and charge them with multiple units, which is something that can be done with the movement advantages we have.

It's interesting though, because to me Nighthaunt doesn't seem to be a an army that is beginner friendly for playstyle, which I thought would be the case with an army in a starter box.

I'm returning to the hobby after last playing WHFB and they remind me a bit of Dark Elves and Wood Elves from back then; where you had to really plan out each charge and move in order to full take advantage with synchronized charges.

4 hours ago, Clewz said:

Aside from being a fantastic looking model what are peoples thoughts on the black coach?

As others mentioned, once it gets its buffs it's a pretty impressive model. It's a tank. Without the buffs, it still puts out a good deal of attacks that have frightful touch. It's also very mobile with up to a 14" move and the ability to run and charge once it reaches level 2 and the ability to retreat and charge once it hits level 4.

I think it's quite capable of being deployed with your main blob as an anvil, it can probably grab and hold objectives by itself, you can race it around with a unit of Hexwraiths, or you can deep strike it which could cause your opponent to over plan for it deep striking at them.

It's a pretty versatile piece, and I'd say a must take if you don't plan on taking Lady O (which I don't like to take named characters often, so I'll probably be rolling with the Coach in most of my games).

7 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Two of them? In a 2000 pt game?

What's the rest of your army comp?

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (general, ruler of the spirit hosts, midnight tome) -140
Lady Olynder -240
Reikenor the Grimhailer -180

Spirit Hosts (battleline) -120
Spirit Hosts  (battleline) -120
2x Bladegheist Revenants (10 total) -180

Black Coach -280
Black Coach -280
Mounrgul -300

Geminids of Uhl-Ghysh -40

Mounrgul may become another unit of 10x Bladeghiest Revenants and a buff of 3 more spirit hosts to one of my battlelines.

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (general, ruler of the spirit hosts, midnight tome) -140
Lady Olynder -240
Reikenor the Grimhailer -180

Spirit Hosts  (battleline) -120
2x Bladegheist Revenants (10 total) -180

Black Coach -280
Black Coach -280
Mounrgul -300

Geminids of Uhl-Ghysh -40

Mounrgul may become another unit of 10x Bladeghiest Revenants and a buff of 3 more spirit hosts to one of my battlelines.

Why don't you have any spirit torments/chainghasts? Bladegheists only get full hit rerolls near them. Without those hit rerolls, grimghast reapers will likely do much better job than bladegheists and for cheaper. 

54 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Why don't you have any spirit torments/chainghasts? Bladegheists only get full hit rerolls near them. Without those hit rerolls, grimghast reapers will likely do much better job than bladegheists and for cheaper. 

That may be possible. Mourngul is on the chopping block. I could cut Mourngul and add 10 more Bladegheists to the unit for the discount, then add a spirit torment and a unit of chainghasts. 

So a topic came up at my local store...

Is there a reason we cannot use the Chainguard Warscroll Battalion in a Legions of Nagash army?  The only rules I found says as long as you have the required models and pay the points you can have the battalion...

On 7/19/2018 at 6:31 AM, Skrekkugle said:

Not making Chainrasp avaliable outside of Soul Wars doesn't make sense to me.. Why wouldn't they release them? Any statement on this? 

The same reason that chaos cultists are still not even in a decent box, and the same with poxwalkers

16 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Not fighting for all of them. Just controlling the ones I need, Spirit Hosts spit out mortal wounds and black coach brings back d3 slain models per turn for each unit within 12".

The spirit hosts are too small. You are not going to take a real advantadge of the 1d3 slain models that come back from powered black coachs, which should be the point of the list you are doing. Also it is very low in the attack saturation to properly deal with hordes so you get to score against them (otherwise you will just be pillowfighting around objectives while never gaining its control).