AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, XcaliburNick said:

In theory it seems like a big block of 40 Chainrasps is actually fairly durable. 5+ ethereal and a 6+ ignore wounds should survive a single round, then give you a chance to run spectral lures and healing back. I know Nighthaunt are MSU but a single big block seems to make sense to me. Thoughts?

That's your anvil, and it'll do a fine job. You don't want minimum sized unit rasps because a wave of terror with them is pretty poor.  Run 20-40 and surround your important heroes like GoS and Spirit Torment.

• Thanks 2

Experimenting with my first Nighthaunt List below. Advice really appreciated. I’d love to have a mounted Knight of Shrouds but didn’t have the points.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether
- Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (200)
- General
- Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King(180)
Knight of Shrouds (100)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
5 x Hexwraiths (140)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)
10 x Grimghast Reapers (160)
8 x Myrmourn Banshees (140)
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)
The Dolorous Guard (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

5 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

In theory it seems like a big block of 40 Chainrasps is actually fairly durable. 5+ ethereal and a 6+ ignore wounds should survive a single round, then give you a chance to run spectral lures and healing back. I know Nighthaunt are MSU but a single big block seems to make sense to me. Thoughts?

Yes, 40 Rasps are quite durable - for Nighthaunt standards. Even more durable options (e.g. Spirit Hosts, Grimghast Reapers) are available, but you pay a hefty price for those.  The Chainguard battalion is probably the best option you have to try and have them surviving more than one turn against decently killy units. I'd personally put the Wychlight Lantern on your Guardian of Souls, as maximising the chances of casting Spectral Lure with him is quite paramount. Even better, and if you can be bothered to bring some 80 Rasps, two blocks of 40 are quite tough to shift as a whole. Note however that there is a big difference between a 5+ and a 4+ ethereal save when large number of dice are involved...

On a related note: I wouldn't say Nighthaunt are MSU. That's one way to play them, but I'm not sure is the most effective one - surely not in every scenario.  MSUs marginally improve your chances of a Wave of Terror and give you more board control. True. However, MSUs deal very little damage even when attacking twice in a row, and you end up with a ton of drops that can be deleted very easily by most of your opponent. Remember, we are no LoN - our units do not come back. I personally run big blocks to maximise damage, increase resilience and taking advantage of the regiment discounts (very important given how costly our models are). My lists tend to include 9 Spirit Hosts (good luck getting rid of them if your general has Ruler of the Spirit Hosts...), 30 Reapers and 20 Revenants - three big blocks with decent staying power. Would you risk a Wave of Terror with 3 units of 10 Reapers, or would you bank on piling 20 of them in? I know what I would do ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Thamalys said:

On a related note: I wouldn't say Nighthaunt are MSU. That's one way to play them, but I'm not sure is the most effective one - surely not in every scenario.

Quoted for truth.

MSUs usually mean support threat units, Bladegheists for example. Or Reapers if they weren't your main threat force. And even then if you are building your list around getting Wave of Terror off, you are balancing that over losing the units you send in on the eventual counter attack. Moreso if you never land WoT.

Personally, I run both. If I have an enemy with a lot of units I'll lean more on MSU. If they are more elite-ish, big blobs. And no matter what I go with my workhorse units are usually full.

Well here goes... my first custom built Nighthaunt. The whole range was so spectacular I didnt feel the need for my usual amount of conversion and kitbashing so far.

Bits from hexwraith kit, mortis engine, a large sheathed sword and lots of sculpting

20191216_134354.jpg

20200304_124715.jpg

20200304_124723.jpg

20200304_124708.jpg

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Won another game tonight. It was Legion of Grief but I never got to use any abilities. None of my entire units died so I couldn't bring em back. So essentially I played Nighthaunt without any command traits, allegiance abilities, or artifacts. Against Ogor Mawtribes foot boys (not BCR) at 1500 points. Wanted to use Horrorghast but it just wouldn't fit.

Allegiance: Legion of Grief
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (200)
- General
- Spell: Dread Withering
Spirit Torment (120)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
12 x Myrmourn Banshees (210)
Mourngul (280)
Mourngul (280)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

The only thing LoG I did was gravesite 2 Banshees back and cast Dread Withering once. Grief Stricken was the mvp. I usually cannot cast spells for any amount of dice rolling, but I got it off every single turn and it was not unbound. Stacking that and a Mourngul aura is brutal.

6 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Are you aware of the Legion of Grief thread? @SleeperAgent

I am. I just usually post in here because Nighthaunt is what I normally run. This time it was because basically no LoG stuff was actually used. I dont know how you guys and your opponents play but I rarely seem to lose an entire unit so Endless Legions didn't do anything for me.

How did you not lose entire units to Ogors? 😲

For me they always feel like one of the toughest matchups for Nighthaunt, even before Tzeentch and Petrifexiarch Elitereapers. They bring way too many wounds to the table for a faction that hits so hard. Without a few Wave of Terrors, they retaliate as if I had done nothing before.

1 hour ago, The_Dudemeister said:

How did you not lose entire units to Ogors? 😲

For me they always feel like one of the toughest matchups for Nighthaunt, even before Tzeentch and Petrifexiarch Elitereapers. They bring way too many wounds to the table for a faction that hits so hard. Without a few Wave of Terrors, they retaliate as if I had done nothing before.

He didnt have any ironguts yet. And combining Mounrgul -1 to hit alongside Grief-Stricken -1 to hit really keeps them in check.

I did lose the chainrasp horde of 20 on bottom 3. But there was no reason to bring em back since they'd be out of range to do anything.

Edited by SleeperAgent

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern(140)
Spirit Torment (120)
The Briar Queen (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Allies

Battleline
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)

Units
6 x Thorns of the Briar Queen (0)

Behemoths
Mourngul (280)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 119

So going to try and run this list, had a test game against Beast claw and while I lost, I misplayed with my heros and didn't fall back from combat, so I lost my guardian and vampire, which ment I lost my bladeghiests.

Reapers were bad against ogors but that's not a fault of the unit, I used them as a bait against mournfang 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 11:20 PM, adreal said:

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
- General
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Spirit Torment (120)
The Briar Queen (180)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Allies

Battleline
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)

Units
6 x Thorns of the Briar Queen (0)

Behemoths
Mourngul (280)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 119

So going to try and run this list, had a test game against Beast claw and while I lost, I misplayed with my heros and didn't fall back from combat, so I lost my guardian and vampire, which ment I lost my bladeghiests.

Reapers were bad against ogors but that's not a fault of the unit, I used them as a bait against mournfang 

This, sir, is a solid Nighthaunt list IMHO - best of luck!

Hi guys, 

Did a little write up of a list I’ve been having some success with, over on the Honest Wargamer page. 

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/spartans-prepare-for-doloury/

Leaders

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed(120)

- General

- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind 

Reikenor the Grimhailer (170)

- Lore of the Underworlds: Spectral Tether

- Infernal Lantern (Artefact)

: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon

Battleline

10 x Hexwraiths (280)

10 x Hexwraiths (280)

10 x Hexwraiths (280)

20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Behemoths

Black Coach (220)

Battalions

The Dolorous Guard (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Soulsnare Shackles (40)