AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 3/13/2021 at 9:33 PM, fontaine said:

Does the munificent wanderers "one last gift" ability return multiple mortal wounds if the attacker rolls more than one 6 to hit a legal target within its aura?

Yes, it looks at each hit roll to determine the number of mortal wounds returned to the attacking unit.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, NurgleSeb said:

12 inches of radius is huge, especially considering the already wide base.

But for 400 points is it really worth it?

P.s. I wouldn't mind if in the future also a GUO would have the same ability, maybe through an artifact.

The Nurgle mark should already have done that

Hello,

which one is better in your opinion, the GUO or Rotigus? What are your experiences?

Personally I would prefer Rotigus, I think he has more punch and a cool spell. On the other hand he lacks the bell option the GUO has and therefore this cool buff.

What would you do? Take the GUO or Rotigus?

7 hours ago, Homer72 said:

Hello,

which one is better in your opinion, the GUO or Rotigus? What are your experiences?

Personally I would prefer Rotigus, I think he has more punch and a cool spell. On the other hand he lacks the bell option the GUO has and therefore this cool buff.

What would you do? Take the GUO or Rotigus?

A GUO has few advantages over Rotigus:

- Can take command traits and artifacts

- Can take either the Bell (+movement) or Bileblade (+spell casting)

- Command ability for +1 attack to Daemons

- Can be built for support (bell/bileblade), partial-support (either bell or bileblade), or an offensive given the weapon choices.

The bell is specifically powerful, which is why I think you see a lot of lists including a GUO and only a few including Rotigus.  The builds that include Rotigus are usually Thrisefold, which already have a GUO with bell/blade. 

I think Rotigus does slightly more combat damage than a full offensive GUO and definitely does more mortal wounds.  They both have the same surviviability, unless you give the GUO command traits or artifacts so that it pulls ahead.

The biggest reason to take Rotigus is the warscroll spell.  Without bonuses to cast, the spell is unreliable (7+ is 58% without opponent denies).   Unfortunately, there are a number of armies that get either automatic unbinds or have easy denies with great +cast bonuses.  This neutralizes the best part of Rotigus, but really depends on the armies you face.

I'm currently building out my Nurgle Daemons army.  I plan to include Rotigus, but only after I have a GUO.

I think the best advice is to magnetize so you can swap back and forth.  They you can see which you prefer.  You'll want to magnetize the GUO anyway to allow for weapon swapping, so why not just magnetize the Rotigus parts as well?

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, York the Ork said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm fairly new to AoS  and listbuilding (my involvement with Warhammer has been mostly painting up until now), but I am now in the process of getting into Maggotkin. Since I love the Glottkin model and I have some marauder boxes laying around, ready to be spiced up to a nurgly standard, I figured I could use them together and ended up with the following list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
- Artefact: Muttergrub
The Glottkin (380)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Putrid Blightkings (140)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (190)
3 x Plague Drones (190)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

My question would be whether this is... well, functional. I'm not looking for something supremely competitive, but I'm worried what I've cobbled together might be pretty ineffective or contain detrimental choices. 

Definitely a functional list.  Blight cyst is the most common competitive build (and probably the best).

I only see three things I'd comment on... none of these are game breaking, if you like the models/list feel free to play it as is:

- The Harbinger of Decays isn't optimal (it isn't a bad choice).  Both The Glottkin and Harbinger want your command point every turn, so there is conflict there.  The Harbinger costs more points that a unit of Blightkings, which is 21 wounds.  For the Harbinger, you are sacrificing damage output (via another unit of BKs) to gain survivability in the DPR. The common comparison is that to justify the Harbinger, you would have to save 21 wounds on a 5+ DPR with the command ability to justify not taking the BKs.  At 5+ (1/3 chance), that is 63 incoming wounds not directed at the harbinger.  Some enemies can prioritize and kill Harbinger to make the DPR go away.  Are you expecting to face that many mortal wounds or huge incoming damage?  Is the primary goal to protect the Glottkin?

- You are investing points into the Blight Cyst, but bringing the absolute minimum number of Blightkings.  So you are investing a number of points to essentially get -1 rend on 3 units.  At this point, would it be worth just swapping for another unit of Blightkings?  The more rotbringers you have, the better the Blessed Sons bonus is and the more movement flexibility you have.

- Plague drones miss out on the Rotbringer bonus of Blessed Sons, you have no way to trigger their Locus for +1 attack, and don't have a GUO CA to give them +1 attack .  I like plague drones, but they seem out of place here.  I really like the Lord of Afflictions (Rotbringer and Daemon, reroll 1s aura, MW output, decent damage), which you could swap for one of the Plague Drones.  LoA gives you the same movement, synergizes with Blessed Sons,  RR 1s, and triggers the Plague Drones' locus.  If I did my math right, you could swap a LoA in for the Harbinger with your spare points.

• Like 1

Hello fellow pusgoyles,

I am going to compete in a local tourney in a few weeks with the following list. I have been making, remaking and playing Nurgle lists for a year now and this is the one I'm comfortable with taking to this particular tourney setup.

The tournament is 3 games of Starstrike, Shifting objectives and Battle for the pass.

I included Horticulus to be my summoning engine. 2 trees before I roll my first contagion dice really adds up. (bringing a heap of summonable units with me)

My list has already been uploaded so I won't be changing it. Would love a tactics talk though with this list in mind. 

FeelingBlessed.jpg

5 hours ago, Nehetar said:

Would love a tactics talk though with this list in mind.

Do you have power-pairs or groups of units that you plan to travel together?

I'd love to hear how you plan to deploy on all 3 of the battleplans.  Do you have backup plans if the opposing army makes you want to deploy deep or on the line? Since you're dropping your Horti tree in the first turn, I think you'll want to have already thought out it's positioning out so that it can work for both summoning and facilitate late game run+charge.

For shifting objectives and start-strike, what is your plan for splitting your forces across the 3 objectives.  Do you plan to focus on only two of them?

Love the action here lately. 

I have a tournament and im going with harbinger, LoB and 20, 10, 5, 5 BKs. 

Other thatn that im choosing either GUO bell and sorcerer or Glottkin. Somehow I feel that the first choice is better ofc but I do love Glottys looks and his CA +1 attacks. 

So my question is really, is GUO VASTLY superior to Glotty? 

57 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Love the action here lately. 

I have a tournament and im going with harbinger, LoB and 20, 10, 5, 5 BKs. 

Other thatn that im choosing either GUO bell and sorcerer or Glottkin. Somehow I feel that the first choice is better ofc but I do love Glottys looks and his CA +1 attacks. 

So my question is really, is GUO VASTLY superior to Glotty? 

The Glottkin's spell and CA are "less" impactful in your list because you are using "smaller" units of multi-wound / multi-attack models (less / small are relative... they aren't fact).  That doesn't mean it isn't good, just that most of the time I've see the Glottkin it is with lower wound / lower attacks models.  These types of units are generally more horde-like (taken in larger numbers), which again increases the benefit.

That being said, I would say the biggest question you should ask is "How much does +3 move to the whole army matter on Turn 1".  That is what I feel is the biggest difference between the two.

Whichever one you take, please take notes during the tournament.... When did the model perform well, when didn't it, when did you wish you had the other, etc.  I'd like to hear your experiences after the event.

11 minutes ago, meatpipeline said:

The Glottkin's spell and CA are "less" impactful in your list because you are using "smaller" units of multi-wound / multi-attack models (less / small are relative... they aren't fact).  That doesn't mean it isn't good, just that most of the time I've see the Glottkin it is with lower wound / lower attacks models.  These types of units are generally more horde-like (taken in larger numbers), which again increases the benefit.

That being said, I would say the biggest question you should ask is "How much does +3 move to the whole army matter on Turn 1".  That is what I feel is the biggest difference between the two.

Whichever one you take, please take notes during the tournament.... When did the model perform well, when didn't it, when did you wish you had the other, etc.  I'd like to hear your experiences after the event.

Yeah. You're right. I do thinks there is some merit to Glottys CA on the 20 blob since the bases prevent all of them from attacking. 

Anyway, I will write a summary as the tournament progresses. It lasts for a couple of weeks due to Grandfathers Covid. 

Im also oogling the Plague Squall spell for the Sorcerer. 6 to cast and D3 MW to D6 units with no range. Hello Comets call. Maybe ill try that instead of Blades. 

Cant wait for a new book though. Go go GW. 

On 3/17/2021 at 5:58 PM, meatpipeline said:

Definitely a functional list.  Blight cyst is the most common competitive build (and probably the best).

I only see three things I'd comment on... none of these are game breaking, if you like the models/list feel free to play it as is:

- The Harbinger of Decays isn't optimal (it isn't a bad choice).  Both The Glottkin and Harbinger want your command point every turn, so there is conflict there.  The Harbinger costs more points that a unit of Blightkings, which is 21 wounds.  For the Harbinger, you are sacrificing damage output (via another unit of BKs) to gain survivability in the DPR. The common comparison is that to justify the Harbinger, you would have to save 21 wounds on a 5+ DPR with the command ability to justify not taking the BKs.  At 5+ (1/3 chance), that is 63 incoming wounds not directed at the harbinger.  Some enemies can prioritize and kill Harbinger to make the DPR go away.  Are you expecting to face that many mortal wounds or huge incoming damage?  Is the primary goal to protect the Glottkin?

- You are investing points into the Blight Cyst, but bringing the absolute minimum number of Blightkings.  So you are investing a number of points to essentially get -1 rend on 3 units.  At this point, would it be worth just swapping for another unit of Blightkings?  The more rotbringers you have, the better the Blessed Sons bonus is and the more movement flexibility you have.

- Plague drones miss out on the Rotbringer bonus of Blessed Sons, you have no way to trigger their Locus for +1 attack, and don't have a GUO CA to give them +1 attack .  I like plague drones, but they seem out of place here.  I really like the Lord of Afflictions (Rotbringer and Daemon, reroll 1s aura, MW output, decent damage), which you could swap for one of the Plague Drones.  LoA gives you the same movement, synergizes with Blessed Sons,  RR 1s, and triggers the Plague Drones' locus.  If I did my math right, you could swap a LoA in for the Harbinger with your spare points.

Thanks alot for the feedback!
Guess I'll change out the harbinger, he definitely seems a little out of place now that I think about it. The LoA looks like a cool suggestion, or maybe another unit of Blightkings. 
The people around here play a lot of highly armoured units, so I'd probably keep the Cyst. Maybe I could swap one of the Drone units out for the LoA instead and either keep the other one or change it into a unit of Pusgoyles to have an emergency movement option. 
Choices, choices... but yeah, thanks a bunch for the input ^^

BR: Teclis is up for preorder next week and GW previewed the boxes.  Nurgle has a box with Spoilpox, Sloppity, and 20 Plaguebearers.  It feels like this means Spoilpox / Sloppity will get new/updated warscrolls, due to how little they actually show up in lists.    I have no idea what the battalion will actually do.

The inclusion of 2 heralds seems interesting from a narrative perspective.  Is this just the beginning of Nurgle being involved in the BR story?  Anyway, excited for the BR reveals this week.

I really hope so, I have always appreciated the models but it has always been impossible for me to deploy them because of their obvious uselessness.

Almost 100 points for what? +1 to the discipline (already at 10), reroll of the failed charges or reroll of the 1 to hit (on an exclusively defensive unit)?

Their lore is much better than that, I really hope for a change that can make them what they deserve to be

I don't expect much more lore cuz there's still many more factions to go; we simply got the short end of the stick and have no importance to the BR lore.

Perhaps I'm just pessimistic, but it feels like a random throwaway battalion. Daemons are the least player "faction," because they are a worse anvil and a worse hammer than Blightkings. So unless this battalion solves both problems at once...

Certainly hoping for warscroll changes though (cuz otherwise Bilepipper makes no sense here). Although I was hoping for smth related to Horticulus and Beasts/Nurglings, this could be competitive if it really ends up being a good battalion and the support heroes change radically.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:16 AM, meatpipeline said:

BR: Teclis is up for preorder next week and GW previewed the boxes.  Nurgle has a box with Spoilpox, Sloppity, and 20 Plaguebearers.  It feels like this means Spoilpox / Sloppity will get new/updated warscrolls, due to how little they actually show up in lists.    I have no idea what the battalion will actually do.

The inclusion of 2 heralds seems interesting from a narrative perspective.  Is this just the beginning of Nurgle being involved in the BR story?  Anyway, excited for the BR reveals this week.

Do you have link or other source. I couldn't find anything on the net.

Hi all, I started playing AoS 6 months ago and felt in love with nurgle. This is my first post here. I tried this lists one and I would like to know your opinion.

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (280)

Battalions
Plague Cyst (140)
The Blessed Sons (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 220

1 hour ago, Refiasgna said:

Hi all, I started playing AoS 6 months ago and felt in love with nurgle. This is my first post here. I tried this lists one and I would like to know your opinion.

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Lord of Plagues (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact: The Carrion Dirge

Battleline

Battalions
Plague Cyst (140)
The Blessed Sons (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 220

Well, I don't have much time, but I will leave one key thing: The Blessed Sons superbattalion no longer exists. It was transformed into the Blessed Sons sub-faction. On a different note, if you want to play mass Blightkings (the most popular Nurgle list right now), consider the Blight Cyst battalion, as it gives them a much-needed rend 1 to their attacks.