AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

hi, I have a question from the rules of plaguetouched warband battalion in S2D.

Can I use plaguetouched warband battalion in MAGOTTKIN of NURGLE allegiance by using Allie points?

I know I can use the battalion in S2D allegiance, but I wonder I can also use it when I play Maggotkin Army

4 hours ago, nurglish said:

hi, I have a question from the rules of plaguetouched warband battalion in S2D.

Can I use plaguetouched warband battalion in MAGOTTKIN of NURGLE allegiance by using Allie points?

I know I can use the battalion in S2D allegiance, but I wonder I can also use it when I play Maggotkin Army

Plaguetouched Warband can be natively used in NURGLE Alegiance because the S2D battletome clearly states that this battalion is both, NURGLE and SLAVES TO DARKNESS. No need to count it as allies then.

Hi guys,

First of all sorry if my English isn't perfect.

I have prepared this Nurgle List and I'd like to have your thoughts on it:

Host : Blessed Sons
Leaderers
Great Unclean One with Bell
Lord of Afflictions 
Lord of Blights 
 Sorcerer Role: Leader

Battlelines Plaguebearers : 30
BK: 20 
Pusgoyle Blightlords: 4
Extra command point
Total 2000pts 

I have a great mobility with the Pusgoyle, I can hit pretty hard with the BK adding to them +1 attack with GUO and possibly Blades of Putrefaction. I can hold an objective pretty easily with my 30PB and LOB  command ability. 

Thanks !

Edited by Arthur

7 hours ago, Arthur said:

Hi guys,

First of all sorry if my English isn't perfect.

I have prepared this Nurgle List and I'd like to have your thoughts on it:

Host : Blessed Sons
Leaderers
Great Unclean One with Bell
Lord of Afflictions 
Lord of Blights 
 Sorcerer Role: Leader

Battlelines Plaguebearers : 30
BK: 20 
Pusgoyle Blightlords: 4
Extra command point
Total 2000pts 

I have a great mobility with the Pusgoyle, I can hit pretty hard with the BK adding to them +1 attack with GUO and possibly Blades of Putrefaction. I can hold an objective pretty easily with my 30PB and LOB  command ability. 

Thanks !

• The GUOs command ability only works on DAEMONS.
  • Lord of Blights and so many BK asks for Blight Cyst battalion which is a huge increase in offensive power.
  • Pusgoyle Blightlords I rate to be overcosted. AoS is all about holding objectives, but 4 models for 400 points is just not good enough at this.
  • Maybe a Blight Cyst battaliuon and Gutrot Spume instead? Enhancing both, your offense as well as your mobility.
  • I also regularly use a Lord of Afflictions, simply due to the fact that he is fast (there are some summoning shenanigans possible) and he can be buffed by the GUO.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hannibal said:
  • The GUOs command ability only works on DAEMONS.
  • Lord of Blights and so many BK asks for Blight Cyst battalion which is a huge increase in offensive power.
  • Pusgoyle Blightlords I rate to be overcosted. AoS is all about holding objectives, but 4 models for 400 points is just not good enough at this.
  • Maybe a Blight Cyst battaliuon and Gutrot Spume instead? Enhancing both, your offense as well as your mobility.
  • I also regularly use a Lord of Afflictions, simply due to the fact that he is fast (there are some summoning shenanigans possible) and he can be buffed by the GUO.

I agree with everything you wrote.

Demons and mortals are in one book but don't interact with each other at all.

Beside that, most maps have  3 or more objectives. So you lose the game before it starts.

But most important, you don't have to apologize for your English 🙂 

Just a quick question Plague Cyst with 2 x 5 Blightlords and 1 x 10 Blightlords can reroll all misses within 7" for Lord of Plagues? If that is correct why is the Blight Cyst the preferred Battalion? I am just starting out so my 1000 point army is going to Lord of Plagues/Blights with the Blightkings and a Rotbringer Sorcerer. I know it will be painfully slow until I get a Gnarlmaw but when I get to the objectives they will be hard to get off them.

The Lord of Blights grants Rend -1, which is quite unique in the Nurgle army.  That along with the Rustfang magic weapon can really reduce enemy saves.  You might also use the Deaths Heads shooting attack, but you might not.

Depends who you are fighting - I play against Nighthaunt so they don't care about Rend.

14 hours ago, impetus12 said:

Can someone fully explain blessed sons to me? I've seen posts where blightkings can do a mortal wounds when slain, but its not in the tome. Also people say you can grab blight cyst with plague cyst, do you need to pay 140 for both?

The Blessed Sons is a subfaction that comes from Wraith of the Everchoosen (it isn't the battalion from the Battletome).   You can search online to find the exact rules.

You can have two battalions (Blight Cyst and Plague Cyst), but you have to pay for both and units can only count towards one of the battalions.  The one exception to this is superbattalions, which are battalions that include other battalions (e.g. The Blessed Sons from the Battletome).

• Thanks 2

On 11/4/2020 at 3:45 AM, impetus12 said:

Can someone fully explain blessed sons to me? I've seen posts where blightkings can do a mortal wounds when slain, but its not in the tome. Also people say you can grab blight cyst with plague cyst, do you need to pay 140 for both?

It could be the Pestilence Throng Bataillon from the BoC Tome but i think this counts not for Blightkings

only for the BoC Troops with the nurgle keyword?

You seem to like drones a lot, because otherwise you could replace them with a unit of marauders that have a very good synergy with Glottkin (blades, fleshy abundance and CA) and would be incredibly fast with the +3" of the bell.

With this replacement I would use the spare points to turn the two units of BK(10+5) into a single 20-man unit.

22 hours ago, Skarband said:

Hi i have question why nurgle back to meta? Putrid blightkings are strong now? Something is change? How works putridblightkings spam?

In the last year Nurgle has only received improvements in points for units and battalions (which shows how much they were overpriced previously).
This has been joined by new deployment possibilities, such as the new S2D units (looking at you ugly marauders), or the wrath of the everchosen sub-factions.
Also, it was extremely important the faq that allowed the BKs to explode on unmodified 6 to hit.
Another thing that may have contributed to Nurgle's competitiveness is the shifting of the meta to the shooting phase:
this has worked in our favor thanks to the good average resilience of the units and has made even the PB a unit to be taken seriously in certain contexts thanks to the -2 to be hit and the 5+FNP.

That said, I do not believe that Nurgle is an alliance capable of producing 5-0 in tournaments, or winning them.
But with a good knowledge of the army and a very careful game i think it's possible to get 3-2 or, under certain circumstances, even 4-1.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NurgleSeb said:

In the last year Nurgle has only received improvements in points for units and battalions (which shows how much they were overpriced previously).
This has been joined by new deployment possibilities, such as the new S2D units (looking at you ugly marauders), or the wrath of the everchosen sub-factions.
Also, it was extremely important the faq that allowed the BKs to explode on unmodified 6 to hit.
Another thing that may have contributed to Nurgle's competitiveness is the shifting of the meta to the shooting phase:
this has worked in our favor thanks to the good average resilience of the units and has made even the PB a unit to be taken seriously in certain contexts thanks to the -2 to be hit and the 5+FNP.

That said, I do not believe that Nurgle is an alliance capable of producing 5-0 in tournaments, or winning them.
But with a good knowledge of the army and a very careful game i think it's possible to get 3-2 or, under certain circumstances, even 4-1.

I'll second everything in this post and add a few things:

- High resilience, either though wounds per point, FNP, or minus to hit effects.

- Mobile enough to get into good positions on the board.  At the Double combined with Trees run & charge.  We rely on special abilities to get this mobility, so if you get out of position early it can be difficult to recover.

- Not reliant on spellcasting.  The top tables are full of super-casters (Kroak, Teclis, Lord of Change) which makes it very hard to rely on spells.

- Summoning, which adds to the resilience (new bodies) and functions as extra mobility (I think of it like a short-ranged teleport).

All the top armies / lists (Serephon, KO, Lumineth, Changehost - Tzeench) share similar traits:

- High ranged damage (shooting, magic, or both)

- High Mobility (high movement or teleports)

These lists tend to have high power individual units or powerful unit synergy, but that is a bit harder to quantify.

• Like 1

Hey, 

Quick Question, I am currently looking to build a Nurgle army, Already have 3k + points of Slaanesh so sticking with the Chaos Theme, But the more I look into the army for Nurgle the less it actually helps me knowing where to begin. 

I already have a Maggotkin of Nurgle; Rotbringer Start Collecting box and another set of 5 BKs from a friend, but was wondering if anyone could help point me in my next direction to help get this army to 2k, also quite enjoy playing pure allainces, but open to playing allies aswell. I will mostly battle Mawtribes, Ironjawz, Fireslayers and Bonereapers (friends armies). 

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by KingChaos
Words Missing.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, KingChaos said:

Hey, 

Quick Question, I am currently looking to build a Nurgle army, Already have 3k + points of Slaanesh so sticking with the Chaos Theme, But the more I look into the army for Nurgle the less it actually helps me knowing where to begin. 

I already have a Maggotkin of Nurgle; Rotbringer Start Collecting box and another set of 5 BKs from a friend, but was wondering if anyone could help point me in my next direction to help get this army to 2k, also quite enjoy playing pure allainces, but open to playing allies aswell. I will mostly battle Mawtribes, Ironjawz, Fireslayers and Bonereapers (friends armies). 

Thanks for any advice.

The flies you get from the start collecting box are considered pretty useless right now, but you can build one into a lord of afflictions and use bits from the other to make a home-made harbinger of decay, both of whom are good support heroes for a mortal army especially the harbinger. I got a chaos knight mount from ebay and added the rider from the blightlord to make mine, others use Varanguard mounts or even plague drones re-posed to look like gross spider creatures. If you aren't confident in your modelling abilities though, buy a harbinger he is a brilliant addition to a blightking heavy force. As for next steps, more Bightkings will always serve you well. They're very cheap (pointswise) and reliably kick out good damage and are hard to kill. If you don't want to go pure blightkings consider some Chaos Marauders who are a very reliable fast moving unit. A great unclean one with the Doomsday Bell is a brilliant support piece and general.  He can take the witherstave artefact which is excellent and his large base size makes him a great buffer for things like the Blessed Sons subfaction's free command ability. I'd also build him with the bileblade for +1 to cast and unbind so he can more reliably cast foul regenesis to move the wheel to something good. Finally you will want to pick up at least 2 Feculent Gnarlmaws and some plaguebearers for summoning. You get 1 gnarlmaw for free (essential) and I regularly summon 1 or 2 more throughout games to give myself the always important run-and-charge buff or to just put a big roadblock in the way of something important on my enemy's side. A Poxbringer is also a good investment for summoning because of the battleplans that require a hero to score, so you could consider getting a start collecting daemons box.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

The flies you get from the start collecting box are considered pretty useless right now, but you can build one into a lord of afflictions and use bits from the other to make a home-made harbinger of decay, both of whom are good support heroes for a mortal army especially the harbinger. I got a chaos knight mount from ebay and added the rider from the blightlord to make mine, others use Varanguard mounts or even plague drones re-posed to look like gross spider creatures. If you aren't confident in your modelling abilities though, buy a harbinger he is a brilliant addition to a blightking heavy force. As for next steps, more Bightkings will always serve you well. They're very cheap (pointswise) and reliably kick out good damage and are hard to kill. If you don't want to go pure blightkings consider some Chaos Marauders who are a very reliable fast moving unit. A great unclean one with the Doomsday Bell is a brilliant support piece and general.  He can take the witherstave artefact which is excellent and his large base size makes him a great buffer for things like the Blessed Sons subfaction's free command ability. I'd also build him with the bileblade for +1 to cast and unbind so he can more reliably cast foul regenesis to move the wheel to something good. Finally you will want to pick up at least 2 Feculent Gnarlmaws and some plaguebearers for summoning. You get 1 gnarlmaw for free (essential) and I regularly summon 1 or 2 more throughout games to give myself the always important run-and-charge buff or to just put a big roadblock in the way of something important on my enemy's side. A Poxbringer is also a good investment for summoning because of the battleplans that require a hero to score, so you could consider getting a start collecting daemons box.

Thanks for this, The creative side of this sounds interesting, little project for the side. Not sure on my modeling abilities to be totally honest, so may just pick him up, so he actually resembles the character. 

Looks like a GUO is making its way into my army, Will invest in more BKs, but also look into the Chaos Mauraders as my only gripe with nurgle was it was slower, but I suppose coming from Slaanesh a lot of things will be slow! 

Thanks for the Knowledge, Really helped with knowing what is necessary espcailly for the buffs. 

17 minutes ago, KingChaos said:

Looks like a GUO is making its way into my army, Will invest in more BKs, but also look into the Chaos Mauraders as my only gripe with nurgle was it was slower, but I suppose coming from Slaanesh a lot of things will be slow!

Nurgle might be a bit faster than you give them credit for!

I'm playing a list atm with:
Blessed Sons Subfaction
Blight Cyst Battalion
Lord of Blights
GUO with Bell
Harbinger of Decay
Gutrot Spume
20 x Blightkings
10 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings

Blessed Sons lets you give 1 unit the maximum run command ability for free per turn. That means that my unit of 20 Blightkings can go:

4" from Move Characteristic
+3" from GUO Bell
+6" from run
+1" from Blightking Musician
+2" from Wheel if I can cast Foul Regenesis

That makes a 16" run in the move phase. If at least 1 of your Blightkings is within 7" of a Feculent Gnarlmaw you can then charge with another +1" from the musician.  My opponents almost always underestimate just how much ground these fatboys can cover when they want to and 20 Blightkings are a seriously scary threat to just just about everything.

The marauders are even faster. They have 6" base move and an ability that lets you change your lowest dice roll for a charge into a 6 and get +1 to run and charge rolls from their drummer, so even if you roll snake eyes you're guaranteed an 8" charge. With all the other move bonuses you can give them from above, they can really rocket around the board.

Edited by Dreadmund

2 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Nurgle might be a bit faster than you give them credit for!

I'm playing a list atm with:
Blessed Sons Subfaction
Blight Cyst Battalion
Lord of Blights
GUO with Bell
Harbinger of Decay
Gutrot Spume
20 x Blightkings
10 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings
5 x Blightkings

Blessed Sons lets you give 1 unit the maximum run command ability for free per turn. That means that my unit of 20 Blightkings can go:

4" from Move Characteristic
+3" from GUO Bell
+6" from run
+1" from Blightking Musician
+2" from Wheel if I can cast Foul Regenesis

That makes a 16" run in the move phase. If at least 1 of your Blightkings is within 7" of a Feculent Gnarlmaw you can then run with another +1" from the musician.  My opponents almost always underestimate just how much ground these fatboys can cover when they want to and 20 Blightkings are a seriously scary threat to just just about everything.

The marauders are even faster. They have 6" base move and an ability that lets you change your lowest dice roll for a charge into a 6 and get +1 to run and charge rolls from their drummer, so even if you roll snake eyes you're guaranteed an 8" charge. With all the other move bonuses you can give them from above, they can really rocket around the board.

Yeah, Wow, did not realise they had that much move potential. That is some epic stats for movement. Great list as well! Seems like BK heavy is the way forward, they do seem pretty heavy hitters in combat, so I can see the attraction of taking 20 of them in one unit! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingChaos said:

Hey, 

Thanks for any advice.

In addition to what has already be mentioned by @Dreadmund I like to point out that a unit of 30 Plaguebearers is my best unit when it comes down to holding objectives or to slow down opponents. They are extremely ressilient though lack the damage output. On the other side they are just 20 points more than 10 Blightkings. And because you need Plaguebearers for summoning, why not just get some more.

15 Chaos Knights fill a similar role, their defensive stats are almost equal, though they do not offer that minus to hit that Plaguebearers natively have.

With a unit of Plaguebearers and a Lord of Blights you can essentially give 2 units -1 / -2 to be hit in combat and/or shooting. Against shooting the bonus is even better but I don´t exactly it´s value right now. Have a look into your battletome.

You need some fast moving heros in my opinion due to the fact that such a model allows for objective stealing via summoning. Something like: move 12" with your hero, summon a Feculent Gnarlmaw, then finally summon a unit of 5 Plaguebearers onto an objective. It allows for covering huge distances.

I often try to field a cheap sorcerer just to put in the back lines far away from the opponent to be able to cast Foul Regenesis without fear of being canceled.

On the other hand if that +2" is important to you strategy, just use the appropriate command trait.

• Like 1