AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Sception said:

nope.  If you play Grand Host of Nagash you don't get access to grand alliance artifacts and command traits, just those of the grand host itself.  If you're playing with the realm of battle rules from malign sorcery, you also have access to the artifacts of whatever realm you choose for your army to be based in.  If you're looking for additional durability, the realm of death's ethereal amulet is pretty good on a vampire lord on zombie dragon.  For a regular vampire lord the grand host's deathforged chain and balefire lantern are ok, but mostly you want to use your relatively smaller size and flying or mounted movement to skirt line of sight blocking terrain while presenting larger centerpiece threats to distract enemy attention from your infantry heroes, because even with defensive artifacts they're not terribly survivable.

Ty man, thats help me a lot

On 10/14/2019 at 7:27 AM, lare2 said:

does this mean Reikenor wouldn't be able to perform Deathless Minions?

Reading and trying to translate my german rules I would suggest he does.

the wording is: within 6“ of the general or friendly DEATH hero. 
As an ally he would not benefit from the legion abilities...

had a nasty clash against grimghast reapers and a guardian, that was pretty brutal

11 hours ago, Honk said:

Reading and trying to translate my german rules I would suggest he does.

the wording is: within 6“ of the general or friendly DEATH hero. 
As an ally he would not benefit from the legion abilities...

had a nasty clash against grimghast reapers and a guardian, that was pretty brutal

Thanks for getting back to me. Had to submit a list for a tourney and decided to change it (see the LoS chat). Thought, when in doubt... leave it out.

• Thanks 1

I am right now facing a very difficult situation:

I will play a small 2k tournament with friends and will field the Great Necromancer and his minions (Big N, 2x Necro, 40x Skellis, 5x Wolves, 2x Harbingers, 6x Spirit Hosts, Spellportal, Quicksilver Swords), which comes straight to 2k points. Now the Question arises: Do I need additional CP? I could - for example - drop one Necromancer for an Executioner + 1CP, but is this worth it?

I'm wondering if there'd be some of the OBR units that can be plaid in a LoN army like GW did allow it with some of the NH units when they came out (reapers etc...). I'm not speaking "as ally".

For ally, and just for the beauty of it, I want 1 or 2 new OBR trebuchets/catapults with my skelletons (maybe I'll replace the OBR chars by skellis on them).

3 hours ago, Craze said:

Do I need additional CP

Could be useful, but since you‘ll have Big Ns CA on all the time and nobody else has something useful... different thing if you bring a vampire for his +1 attack. You could think about throwing the swords out for a triumph, they can be pretty strong in this edition, but...meehh

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

if there'd be some of the OBR units that can be played in a LoN army

I personally hope not, kinda crazy, that reapers are more powerful in a different army... and since they lack the summonable keyword, don’t know what synergies they have. Might be fun to throw in some damage elites together with a vamp lord. And might also be interesting to see if their „command discipline“ skills crosses over...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Honk said:

Could be useful, but since you‘ll have Big Ns CA on all the time and nobody else has something useful... different thing if you bring a vampire for his +1 attack. You could think about throwing the swords out for a triumph, they can be pretty strong in this edition, but...meehh

Perhaps I could need additional CP for resurrection. The Swords I mainly use because 4 of my 5 enemies will be Chaos armies, so I guess they will pull their weight. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Craze said:

Perhaps I could need additional CP for resurrection.

Missed that one.... but the decision against a second necromancer is pretty tough. 
unrelated, but totally need to test nagash with corpsemare stampede from FEC 🥳👍

Edited by Honk

On 10/23/2019 at 4:21 AM, GeneralZero said:

I'm wondering if there'd be some of the OBR units that can be plaid in a LoN army like GW did allow it with some of the NH units when they came out (reapers etc...). I'm not speaking "as ally".

For ally, and just for the beauty of it, I want 1 or 2 new OBR trebuchets/catapults with my skelletons (maybe I'll replace the OBR chars by skellis on them).

I'm wondering that too. Once Legion of Grief became a thing, it made it obvious that the Legions weren't a stopgap.
Given you can straight up use Nagash and Arkhan in OBR, there will clearly be a strong bond.

49 minutes ago, JoshPP said:

any suggestions or list against heavy shooting army with current Grand Host Nagash meta?

Nagash with a Necromancer 

2 Batswarms, 4 Morghast, 40 Skellis, 10 chainrasps 

spellportal

not quite sure if that holds up to a cunning rukk, but those bats give -1 to hit, overwhelming dread another -1, Morghast as a speedy kill Team, skellis as grindblock and the rasps as objective sitters

Edited by Honk

Recently, after spending way too much time and energy on trying to put together too many armies, I've decided that I might just head back to my roots.  When I started Warhammer, I was a 40K-only person.  But, one day, I decided I might give AoS a shot.  The very first models I bought were a Necromancer and a box of Grave Guard.  I no longer have the Grave Guard (gave them to a friend when I moved on to other AoS projects).  But, I now have a want to go back to my roots when it comes to AoS.  Go back to playing Death. 

I've been out of really keeping up with the AoS game (mostly a hobbyist).  But, with free summoning being a thing now, It seems that having a large number of summonable units is the best way to play any army (except for the armies that don't have any summoning abilities).  I'd like to run the following as a Grand Host of Nagash, and I know I'm a unit short of 2000 points.  But, I also don't have any additional units to be summoned.  So, would it even be worth painting all of what I have if my 2000 point army won't have any summonable units?

Spoiler
profile_mask2.png

+++ AoS Grand Host of Nagash (Age of Sigmar) [1,850pts] +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Death: Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt) [1,850pts] ++

+ Leader +

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament [340pts]: General

Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern [140pts]: Chill Blade

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed [120pts]

Lord Executioner [80pts]

Necromancer [130pts]

Spirit Torment [120pts]

+ Battleline +

Chainrasp Horde [160pts]: 2x 10 Chainrasps

Skeleton Warriors [80pts]: 10 Skeleton Warriors, Ancient Blade, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

Skeleton Warriors [80pts]: 10 Skeleton Warriors, Ancient Spear, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Black Knights [240pts]: 2x 5 Black Knights

Glaivewraith Stalkers [60pts]: 4 Glaivewraith Stalkers

Grimghast Reapers [160pts]: 10 Grimghast Reapers

Hexwraiths [140pts]: 5 Hexwraiths

+ Allegiance +

Alliegiance: Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin: Origin: Shyish

+ Realm of Battle +

Realm of Battle: Battle: Shyish

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

SG

Edited by ServiceGames

4 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

So, would it even be worth painting all of what I have if my 2000 point army won't have any summonable units?

Forgive me if I've read your post wrong but I think you think we get extra units via summoning? That is to say, you'd play the list you've quoted and then summon more in. Am I right in thinking that?

If so, our summoning doesn't work like that. To summon we need to have a summonable unit dead, e.g. skellies. We can then bring that unit back from the dead. This works as follows: a unit of your skellies dies, you move your general to within 9" of a graveside, and at the end of the movement face you spend a CP to bring it back wholly worrying 9" of the grave and more than 9" away from the enemy. If the unit can't fit, the summoning fails. 

You should definitely buy a CP. This would put your army to 1900. Spend the list 100 on adding more to one of your current units?

Hope that helps. 

Edited by lare2

53 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Forgive me if I've read your post wrong but I think you think we get extra units via summoning? That is to say, you'd play the list you've quoted and then summon more in. Am I right in thinking that?

If so, our summoning doesn't work like that. To summon we need to have a summonable unit dead, e.g. skellies. We can then bring that unit back from the dead. This works as follows: a unit of your skellies dies, you move your general to within 9" of a graveside, and at the end of the movement face you spend a CP to bring it back wholly worrying 9" of the grave and more than 9" away from the enemy. If the unit can't fit, the summoning fails. 

You should definitely buy a CP. This would put your army to 1900. Spend the list 100 on adding more to one of your current units?

Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the info!  I think I knew some of that, but it had been pushed back to the back of my mind. 

SG

Quick question; I’m thinking of using the Sons of the Lichemaster as an ally. Not sure if it’s any good, but I just have enough room for the Necromancer and 30 skellies. Would it be better to run them with spears and have them in a tighter formation or go 2 rows of 15 dudes with swords? 

4 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Quick question; I’m thinking of using the Sons of the Lichemaster as an ally. Not sure if it’s any good, but I just have enough room for the Necromancer and 30 skellies. Would it be better to run them with spears and have them in a tighter formation or go 2 rows of 15 dudes with swords? 

If you're going 30 I'd probably say swords. With spears you can get 3 rows in but you'll be getting an extra attack from Sons and hitting on 3s with swords is a big difference. 

6 hours ago, lare2 said:

If you're going 30 I'd probably say swords. With spears you can get 3 rows in but you'll be getting an extra attack from Sons and hitting on 3s with swords is a big difference. 

Damn, I was hoping you’d say spears because they look cooler haha. 

Now I basically just have to think on whether I want to go better or cooler looking. 🤔