AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

13 minutes ago, Killax said:

I like both set ups! I still am too much of a fanboy of the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster though :P 

He's still the big gun for sure, and still so versatile. What load-out do you use these days with the demise of stacking for Crimson Crown?

33 minutes ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Top moment of yesterday - my double killing frenzy'd Skullreapers took out an ethereal amulet VLoZD in 1 turn

Very nice indeed. Great trophy!

In my last battle, I chaperoned 2 units of Skullreapers with an Aspiring Deathbringer. Obviously they laughed at Staunch Defender and Sequitor rerolls... Pure carnage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

- 2 x 40 marauders (with flails and shields?) - 400 points in the allies slot - means I'd have to drop the DP + some other stuff to make room

Neither Marauders or DP marked as khorne count as allies

5 hours ago, Roark said:

He's still the big gun for sure, and still so versatile. What load-out do you use these days with the demise of stacking for Crimson Crown?

Haha, I still use the Crimson Crown, but otherwise the Doppelganger Cloack is very interesting too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

Do you guys run units of skillreapers in 5's or 10's? I got none but it sounds like I should. Recently got 5 wrathmongers and I've been loving them so far.

If you're handy with green stuff you can use legs from other models and make yourself 5 skull reapers from your left over bits!

I always run them in 5s, I find that going up against horde units 5 of them are normally more than enough to burn through them, plus it's harder for you to get stuck in a tarpit if you split the units up.

I've never tried 10 but I could see it working. Reduces your drop count if that is an important factor in your list

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Retro said:

Neither Marauders or DP marked as khorne count as allies

Yeah I wondered about that - but both their warscrolls say "when setting up this unit..."  - so I thought maybe they don't have Khorne keyword until they are set up - which would leave them as unmarked StD. 

Is this something there is a conclusive answer about? 

7 hours ago, Roark said:

Very nice indeed. Great trophy!

In my last battle, I chaperoned 2 units of Skullreapers with an Aspiring Deathbringer. Obviously they laughed at Staunch Defender and Sequitor rerolls... Pure carnage.

Yeah, I've loved my Skullreapers in the games I've played. How do you like the Deathbringer? I find myself with a proliferation of Command Points these days without any decent command abilities to spend them on! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Yeah I wondered about that - but both their warscrolls say "when setting up this unit..."  - so I thought maybe they don't have Khorne keyword until they are set up - which would leave them as unmarked StD. 

Is this something there is a conclusive answer about?

I'm pretty sure the only time the setting up part actually matters is when a "can be marked" unit show up mid way through battle via summoning/transforming. The BoC Gavespawn rule for example explicitly states that the spawn cannot choose a mark if the hero that died didn't have a mark or has a specific mark.

Other than that I think setting up in the case for Slaves to Darkness is heavily implied as "when creating the list". Everyone treats Marked Slaves to Darkness as having the God Mark keyword automatically rather than "has to be set up on a battlefield post list creation". Even officially published GW books and magazines treat marked units as always having the keyword. For example the Getting Started with Warhammer AoS booklet has 3 sample armies in its contents, one of which is a nurgle army made up of Daemons, Rotbringers, Slaves, and Pestilens.

So you give a slaves unit a mark, it now has that corresponding keyword. Plus it'd be awkward to have a Khorne Army, bring some marauders, then say "those marauders now gain the slaanesh keyword" when deployed despite khorne being unable to ally to slaanesh.

• Like 2

Still didn't found anything that Crimson Crown cannot stack. Like neither was said, that it can, so at least in our meta we still play it with stacking. 

Also I tried NOVA list with 4 bloodthirsters and 20 flesh hounds with karanak and two batallions. On NOVA there was not so much bubbles of skeletons or nighhaunts. In that case this list would never be on the first place because these guys can do a lot damage, yes, but not so good against hordes. 

And there one thing... Zombie-dragon with 3++ invulnarable because of the artifact and who reroll all his hit rools. It kills Bloodthirster in statistic or at least severe wound them, so it is difficult for them to fight back. As well as they have a hard time to get through that 3++ save. Only bloodletters can deal with him without big trouble.

Edited by Revan123

2. Chaos lord on Daemonic Mount w/ Immense Power and Deathdealer. In a Gore Pilgrims list he'll usually have 5 attacks hitting on 3s (rerolling 1s) which do a mighty dmg4 each. His command buffs his posse of Chaos Knights, who also benefit a lot from the expanded Portal of Skulls (+10 attacks). He also provides a handy Locus for Letterbombs, has a 5+ MW save, and has Look out, Sir!. Difficult to ignore with dmg4, but also not trivial to kill. 

Sadly, this guy don't have Bloodbound or Daemon keyword and cannot get such traits or artifacts

23 hours ago, Killax said:

You can't really go wrong with Gore Pilgrims my man! However I would also say that generally speaking the Daemons will come in eventually.

For 2K Gore Pilgrims you basically want:
3x Slaughterpriest (pick whichever you like most in terms of looks, they arnt made for fighting)
1x Bloodsecrator
1-2x Bloodstoker
(Most of the time you'll also want to get a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster somewhere down your hobby path and convert a Bloodmaster, the latter for summonning reasons)

10x Blood Warriors
20-40x Bloodreavers
30-60x Bloodletters
5-10x Fleshhounds, for summonning purposes :) 

5x Wrathmongers
(5-10x Skullreapers)...

However top down, this is really the core where you want to start at. So the start collecting is a nice start, if you can pick up the Battleforce, that's a great start also! I'd generally say start out with Wrathmongers from that set but you can basically do whatever.

Khorne doesn't really have mistake buys, just units I'd skip, such as Bloodcrushers, Skullcannons and the cool smaller heroes of Bloodbound arn't extremely bad but generally don't warrant the Heroes slot if you want to go for a more competitive route.  

Monsters! I think it looks fun. I bascially stopped running my Daemon Prince because of Daemonic summons (including Heroes!) . 

How is the Soul Grinder working out for you?

I like both set ups! I still am too much of a fanboy of the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster though :P 

Thanks so much for this advice, luckily my purchases have been oriented towards this which is great news. Can I ask, in terms of summoning from the Wrath BloodThirster, how does this work in competitive play now? If I have a 2k list does it need to take account for potential summoned units points?

Edited by carrigher82
content added

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Hey fellow Khornate frothing madmen a (hopefully) real quick question. I’ve got the FW Exalted thirster (been in my loft for years ?) on it’s square base. My question is what sized round(?) base should it be on?

Its the round 130mm one :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Yeah, I've loved my Skullreapers in the games I've played. How do you like the Deathbringer? I find myself with a proliferation of Command Points these days without any decent command abilities to spend them on! 

He's awesome when there's space in the Hero roster. But you also need 2-3 smallish Mortal assault units to really get bang for your buck. He doesn't play terribly well around hordes. I usually run him with 2 x 5 Skullreapers, 1 x 10 Blood Warriors, and a Chaos Warshrine looming nearby (the latter is good value but rubbish in combat, by Khorne standards, and can always use the extra attacks).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carrigher82 said:

So the only way I can see to summon something is via 8 tithe points? Is this accurate or am I missing something? Any ideas on how to make summoning a really viable tactic with a Gore Pilgrims oriented list? Im a noob so sorry for the questions.

Nah mate, you can spend from 2 to 8 Tithe but, if you spend, you blow your whole bank. Download the Khorne FAQ/Errata for more details.

A Gore Pilgrims list could be optimised for summoning by selecting the Blood Sacrifice prayer for all 3 Priests and fielding 2x10 Reavers in the battalion, but you will sure as hell miss good old Killing Frenzy... Or use Chaos Warriors for the sacrifice, because they have a 5+ mortal save. Or everyone could just kill Skarr Bloodwrath so he can resurrect later.

I would suggest trying it in a friendly before you write it up for a tournament eh. I think perhaps we have better things to do with our angry little guys.

2 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

So the only way I can see to summon something is via 8 tithe points? Is this accurate or am I missing something? Any ideas on how to make summoning a really viable tactic with a Gore Pilgrims oriented list? Im a noob so sorry for the questions.

Give all your priests blood sacrifice.  Sure you give up a useful hit or armor bonus but if you are going for max sacrifice then you are taking minimal sized units anyway.  It is easy to get 8 tithe points turn 2 with 3 blood sacrifice prayers per turn.  And you can even do things like have your priests hit themselves then use the blood rain to heal them back up, and also heal all your multi-wound models that are in combat.

26 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

thanks, this is great advice hwoever whats the benfit of injuring slaughterpriests to just heal themselves back up? Isnt the goal to kill units off ?

The goal would be if you were one or two points short for crimson rain you could whack your priests but heal them right back up along with all of the rest of your army.  Bloodthirsters or other heroes or your multi-wound troops when they are in need of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roark said:

He's awesome when there's space in the Hero roster. But you also need 2-3 smallish Mortal assault units to really get bang for your buck. He doesn't play terribly well around hordes. I usually run him with 2 x 5 Skullreapers, 1 x 10 Blood Warriors, and a Chaos Warshrine looming nearby (the latter is good value but rubbish in combat, by Khorne standards, and can always use the extra attacks).

Yeah I may have a rejig of my list to include him - at least give him a try once. He's v vulnerable to any stray missile attacks or random spell mortals though - since he has no protection. This has made me a little dubious so far - since he's a frontline hero but has little to no protection. 

I love the MSU mortal thing, just all about the heavily armoured infantry trundling around (but not the fancy golden boyos) XD

What're people's opinions on adding the Manticore sorc for a bit of offensive ranged mortal ouput? I find the gore pilgrim priests can never threaten past the midline. I would consider dropping the Daemon prince, for the manticore in my previously posted list, since the buffed Skullreapers can do a lot of what I wanted the DP for, and I'm a little mixed about him. he's a bit of a 1 shot bullet. He has rarely fought more than once in my games.

16 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Yeah I may have a rejig of my list to include him - at least give him a try once. He's v vulnerable to any stray missile attacks or random spell mortals though - since he has no protection. This has made me a little dubious so far - since he's a frontline hero but has little to no protection. 

Well he's got a 4+ and Look Out, Sir!. Can't expect much more than that from an 80pt Chaos hero to be honest... Warshrine can sometimes be useful in that regard too.