AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 11/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, mangaramb said:

I think your list is too defensive, except for Skullcrushers there are no good hitting units. Khorne is all about offense, you want to be with almost all of your units in melee range asap. Get at least a few units of Bloodletters, Skullcrushers or Khorgoraths. Also always go for MSU, and use Khorne Allengiance for summoning more Bloodletters.

That´s probably sound advice. I´m going to hold off on buying demons, and see what´s in Wrath and Rapture, but Bloodletters or Bloodcrushers might be a good summoning unit. I have played around with the Flesh Hounds, and I like what they do in terms of objective holding and unbinding.
I have some Skull Reapers I´m putting back in. 5 of each weapon option, and they do a heck of a lot more dmg than Bloodreavers/Warriors especially compared to their footprint.

17 hours ago, Bjornas said:

Even though they're good units, I find the idea of priests, prayers and temples very un-Khorney, regardless of the AoS fluff. 

Well, there are certainly no temples in the fluff. The battlefield is Khorne's temple. Piles of skulls are his only shrines. And his clergy are hulking psychopaths, unnaturally swollen with muscle and power, whose prayers are basically just exhortations for the endless spilling of blood.

I just think that, if you're gonna dislike them, it shouldn't be under a false apprehension... :-)

4 minutes ago, Roark said:

Well, there are certainly no temples in the fluff. The battlefield is Khorne's temple. Piles of skulls are his only shrines. And his clergy are hulking psychopaths, unnaturally swollen with muscle and power, whose prayers are basically just exhortations for the endless spilling of blood.

I just think that, if you're gonna dislike them, it shouldn't be under a false apprehension... ?

Haha, fair enough ;) but you get my point though?

5 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Haha, fair enough ;) but you get my point though?

Yeah, I totally appreciate that old-school Khorne players might find Priests a very jarring development, especially when you consider their WFB forerunners (lame middle-aged men with tabards and a hammer).

But then I saw the models in the flesh and was instantly sold on them. Then I saw what they can do in the game, and learned via the fluff that they are among Khorne's most fanatical servants, and that solidified things for me.

But, for sure, each to their own. And you're a Skulltake guy anyway, right? So enjoy that extra space in your hero roster! I'd love to have it, coz I'd put more scary guys in, which is very Khornate.

• Like 3

Hi all, I'm just starting my foray into AoS, specifically khorne. I'm playing the firestorm campaign with 2 other mates and my next game is at 1500 points. I'm looking at taking the Bloodforged batallion as it just looks like a ton of fun to play and I want to see my mates dragon kill himself. I'll be taking the Skullgrinder as my general for purely narrative reasons. I've given him hungry for glory, but I was wondering what artifact I should give him? I've currently got him with the Rune Blade, but was wondering if Ive missed any obvious artifacts. Thanks!

Hey guys.... i played against a khorne army at a doubles event a little while ago and it has inspired me to start writing khorne lists ^_^

Just wondered what people thought of this:

Bloodthirster of insensate rage - general, crimson crown

Slaughterpriest - brazen rune, killing frenzy

Slaughterpriest - killing frenzy

Slaughterpriest - killing frenzy

Bloodsecrator - gryph feather charm

Bloodstoker

10 bloodreavers

10 bloodreavers

10 bloodreavers

5 blood warriors

5 skullreapers - daemonblades

5 skullreapers - daemonblades

1 khorgorath

1 khorgorath

Gore pilgrims batallion

Skulltake batallion

2000pts spot on.

Plan is to abuse the crimson crown + killing frenzy for all the attacks from the big fella then once hes out of range start turning the skullreapers into mortal wound machines as well... msu is obviously to maximise summoning bloodletters.... and 3 drops means im pretty likely to deploy first.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Hey I'm trying to get started with a Blades of Khorne force and honestly I have no idea where to begin.

I bought the Get Started Box and was very disappointed. I wanted Blood Warriors with dual axes and Bloodreavers with two handed axes.

These are my initial thoughts on where I'd like to head:

Preferably 2-4 10-man units of Blood Warriors as a battleline. I'll probably end up taking 2 units of Bloodreavers and 2-3 units of Blood Warriors so the Bloodreavers can be sacrificed for Blood Tithe. If I could get away with no reavers, that'd be ideal.

I'd like some units of Skullreapers, probably 5-10, perhaps 8? Accompanying them, I'd like Slaughterpriests so I can give them +1 to Hit so they won't roll 1s and inflict mortal wounds on themselves and will inflict mortal wounds on enemies on a 5+. 

A Bloodsecrator would be useful, too, so I'm thinking I'll end up with a Gore Pilgrim battalion with some Skullreapers, maybe both a Gore Pilgrim and Skulltake.

I already own a Bloodthirster and as far as I can tell it's the most lethal leader/general option, especially since there is no demon prince option for a cheap flying monster. I think I want the force lead by a Bloodthirster with the trait for generating an additional Blood Tithe when slaying heroes/monsters and the demon artefact that has him generate a blood tithe point if he deals 8+ wounds or mortal wounds in a turn. 

Thoughts? 

45 minutes ago, Dan.Ford said:

Brazen Rune on Bloodsecator .

The  item that withs +1 to hit and wound Sword on the Bloodthirster

Brazen rune i agree, makes much more sense and I'll change to that...

But surely the slaughterpriests giving the bloodthirster +1 to hit each, generating extra attacks on 3+(if they all get frenzy off) rerolling 1s to hit on the charge and 1s to wound from the bloodstoker.. .. the crown is much better overall??? I kind of assume it wont last long enough after its initial charge to need a better in the long run type thing...?

But what 3rd relic either way? 😉

28 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

Hey I'm trying to get started with a Blades of Khorne force and honestly I have no idea where to begin.

I bought the Get Started Box and was very disappointed. I wanted Blood Warriors with dual axes and Bloodreavers with two handed axes.

These are my initial thoughts on where I'd like to head:

Preferably 2-4 10-man units of Blood Warriors as a battleline. I'll probably end up taking 2 units of Bloodreavers and 2-3 units of Blood Warriors so the Bloodreavers can be sacrificed for Blood Tithe. If I could get away with no reavers, that'd be ideal.

I'd like some units of Skullreapers, probably 5-10, perhaps 8? Accompanying them, I'd like Slaughterpriests so I can give them +1 to Hit so they won't roll 1s and inflict mortal wounds on themselves and will inflict mortal wounds on enemies on a 5+. 

A Bloodsecrator would be useful, too, so I'm thinking I'll end up with a Gore Pilgrim battalion with some Skullreapers, maybe both a Gore Pilgrim and Skulltake.

I already own a Bloodthirster and as far as I can tell it's the most lethal leader/general option, especially since there is no demon prince option for a cheap flying monster. I think I want the force lead by a Bloodthirster with the trait for generating an additional Blood Tithe when slaying heroes/monsters and the demon artefact that has him generate a blood tithe point if he deals 8+ wounds or mortal wounds in a turn. 

Thoughts? 

You absolutely can take a Daemon Prince. Bloodbound only requires the Khorne keyword, meaning you can take Furies, Daemon Princes, even most Slaves to Darkness models in your army. Check the Grand Alliance Chaos book for the needed datasheets, or the webstore pdfs.

So, I've been able to find warscrolls for the slaves of darkness units, but I could not find any points information or other stuff,  like army special rules, artefacts, command traits, etc. 

In order to use the Blades of Khorne rules I'd need to have only Khorne units, right? Are Slaves to Darkness effective/competitive? I'd love to have an undivided legion that's heavy into summoning and summons units of lesser demons and perhaps greater demons, but I wasn't sure if this was possible. 

Where are the current rules for Chaos armies and summoning rules specifically? Age of Sigmar is so confusing with all it's different version of the same units. No where in the Chaos Grand Alliance book has the points values for the units. The Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch says something about a Realmgate but there aren't any rules or references anywhere else. 

I know the demons in the Blades of Khorne book give wizards the ability to summon them if they're taken, is that how all summoning works? Do I need to take a unit in my army in order to be able to summon others of its kind? 

45 minutes ago, Mr Spadge said:

But surely the slaughterpriests giving the bloodthirster +1 to hit each, generating extra attacks on 3+(if they all get frenzy off) rerolling 1s to hit on the charge and 1s to wound from the bloodstoker.. .. the crown is much better overall??? I kind of assume it wont last long enough after its initial charge to need a better in the long run type thing...?

Ghyrstrike's +1 to wound makes his Outrageous Carnage happen on 5+.  So could give the Insensate Ghystrike and another demon hero near him the Crown if you wanted.  

Edited by Easytyger

1 hour ago, Mr Spadge said:

Unfortunately due to the removal of an FAQ in July by GW , all abilities in all armies unless a different faq say otherwise, abilities like The Crimson Crown are effected by buffs and de buffs ( because not Natural or unmodified) is only is riggered on that precise number because it does not say 6+ or 6 or more.

So the 6 becomes only 3 .

4,5&6 are just normal hits :((

You and your opponent well have to very vigilant each phase ( Attacking in combat and hero phase etc ) and each turn as this number will be changing all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan.Ford said:

Unfortunately due to the removal of an FAQ in July by GW , all abilities in all armies unless a different faq say otherwise, abilities like The Crimson Crown are effected by buffs and de buffs ( because not Natural or unmodified) is only is riggered on that precise number because it does not say 6+ or 6 or more.

So the 6 becomes only 3 .

4,5&6 are just normal hits :((

So that means that Gorecleaver is pretty much useless at the moment compared to Ghyrstrike, wew. Makes my most recent decision to take a Daemon Prince with Ghyrstrike + Immense Power + Axe that much easier to swallow.

@Kharneth for points you need to buy the generals handbook. It can be purchased through the app a bit cheaper than the hard copy book. GW release a new one every 12 months; pretty sure the current book will be valid for another 6 months or so. 

For Khorne rules you need to buy the Khorne battletome (hard cover or via the app) which includes command traits, artifacts, prayers and allegiance abilities (a system known as Blood Tithe: basically you get 1 blood tithe point for each unit destroyed, yours or your opponents, up to a max of 8). Summoning khorne daemons is also tied to the blood tithe system however those rules came out after the battletome and so for those you need the FAQ (available as a free download from GW website). You can summon any daemon unit using your blood tithe points, from flesh hounds to blood thirsters. There are various ways to obtain blood tithe points outside of killing units if you want your army to really focus on summoning and you will find those in the battletome. The old rules for summoning via wizards are gone and you dont have to have had a unit in your army from the start in order to summon it.

Most Slaves to Darkness units can take a god mark i.e. Khorne (it will say on their warscroll if they can), including Daemon Princes, and then simply join your khorne army. When they do this any heroes take artifacts from the khorne allegiance so you dont need the salves to darkness allegiance rules unless you want to play slaves to darkness allegiance instead of khorne (hint: dont do that). The rules for slaves can be found in the generals handbook as they dont have their own battletome at this stage. 

36 minutes ago, andysonic1 said:

So that means that Gorecleaver is pretty much useless at the moment compared to Ghyrstrike, wew. Makes my most recent decision to take a Daemon Prince with Ghyrstrike + Immense Power + Axe that much easier to swallow.

Yep unless it has an FAQ to say that it's 6+ or 6 or more.

This removal of the FAQ effect units and armies.

Crypt horror and crypt flayers etc

56 minutes ago, andysonic1 said:

I've been tinkering on how to equip my Juggerlord. What do people think about Anraheir's Claw from Realm of Ghur? On a 6+ to wound it does 2 extra damage, can be useful with his charge ability?

31 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

I've been tinkering on how to equip my Juggerlord. What do people think about Anraheir's Claw from Realm of Ghur? On a 6+ to wound it does 2 extra damage, can be useful with his charge ability?

I was running Juggerlord before the Daemon Prince. My problem with the Juggerlord in my army in particular was the fact that I have a lot of units of foot which got in the way of the Juggerlord doing his thing. When he got in, he did decently well, but was pretty hit or miss (was incorrectly running Gorecleaver).

That Claw could be useful, I mean 5 damage on a 5+ on the charge could completely wipe out other units if you roll well. I still think Ghyrstrike is the better option for consistent damage over the course of the battle since you're relying less on rolling "well" and more on simply rolling.

• Like 1

I see people posting Gore Pilgrims as 200 points, where can this change be found? Is it still worth it for 200 points? That's a lot more than the 80 it says in the book. Also, where are any other changes that have been made as I've seen mention of a couple that are different in the Blades of Khorne version I'm looking at. I've checked the errata but found nothing that changes point costs. 

How are Skullcrushers? I ordered 2 starter boxes totaling in 20 Blood Warriors and 6 Skullcrushers. I'm thinking of using a unit of 6 Skullcrushers with glaives backed up by Killing Frenzy on a Slaughterpriest, lead by a Juggerlord who uses his +1 to wound command ability on Skullreapers to prevent them from inflicting mortal wounds to themselves.

I'm not sure how to play Skullcrushers, but I have 2 or 3 with rectangle bases from a while back and I'll be getting 6 more so I'm hoping to make good use of them. I'm worried they're not going to perform well because they seem to have the same defense as skullreapers and slightly less damage, but for more points. 

Any thoughts on a Juggerlord with Arch-Slaughterer and Blade of Endless Bloodshed for gathering Blood Tithe? 

Edited by Kharneth

I’ve been seeing a couple people doing Council of Blood lists with 3 or 4 bloodthirsters, and that’s really all I’ve ever wanted in life. So what would you guys reccomend taking as the extra artefacts, assuming realm artefacts are in play? Im probably going to run it as a 2 drop, but I’m not sure which other battalion I’ll use. There are a few that are alluring. So I’ll likely have 3 artefacts to switch around.

The latest general's handbook increased gore pilgrims to 200 points and so overrides the points in the khorne battletome. The old points cost was in AOS v1. In AOS 2 battalions give you a command point which normally costs you 50 points so that is now built into the cost. Gore Pilgrims is still very much worth it but pretty much only if you max it out with all 3 priests. 

Skull Crushers do quite well I'm told. Bit of a shock cavalry, some mortal wounds on the charge, some resilience with high wounds and extra resistance to magic damage. Your plans to buff them with a priest and juggerlord are solid. If going that route there is a battalion called Brass Stampede which you may want to check out.

8 hours ago, Dan.Ford said:

For some reason my edit did not work ?

or take the Flowstone blade on the Bloodthirster. 

Its .... unpleasant 

Were you saying that it's good specifically for Insensate Thirster? I don't think I'm interpreting the way Flowstone blade works correctly.

The way I'm reading it what it does is make attacks with to hit rolls of 6+ have a subsequent wound roll of plus 1 meaning the Great axe still wound on 2+ and trigger Outrageous Carnage on a 5 or 6.  Does it do something different or more than this? 

• Like 1

Hmm... i had someone use said crimson crown bloodthirster against me and didnt question it as i thought that was how it worked....

In my head its a roll of 6, but including modifiers... so with +3, as you apply everything 1 at a time, a hit of 4 with +3 to the roll will be a 6 to hit before it becomes a 7.... guess i need to scour the faq's again 😉

But if its the case, the gyran +1 to hit/wound may well be a better pick...