AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

One question, do you think the bonus for having full brass stampede (7 units) at the start of the battle  is worth enough to do 7 units or the rest of the bonuses would be nice enough to carry lets say 4 units and brass stampede?, for example what would you think of this one

Allegiance: Khorne
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Brass Stampede (200)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

I would have 2 heroes with artifacts for the objectives and extra 2 hounds for objectives if needed, i also get 3x dispellers and even can dispell endless after they are succesfully casted. Meanwhile i think manticore and hounds can keep with the speed of the army and the chronomatic cogs can be a worthy add to the list (but all this with the loss of the brass stampede full units rule).

On 8/22/2018 at 8:51 AM, Bululu said:

Hi guys, first post around. Im an old time WHF veteran, i skipped AOS till now, ive read all the posts on this thread. So hello to everyone :).

I've a list coming out of my mind, i think it would look great on the battlefield and with all the charges will be fun to play. I would like to know if its to any degree competitive or just casual ( i would like to win from time to time). I would also like to know what general trait/artifact to chose and if the configuration of weapons on de skullcrushers could be better. Thanks a lot in advance and here is te list.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General

Battleline
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes

Behemoths
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos War Mammoth (320)

Battalions
Brass Stampede (200)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

Hi! Welcome to the combat thrills and blood spills of khorne!

Two mammoths will wreck someones day!

depends what/how you are playing-

if its using the battle plans for matched play (eg going to a tournament) you may struggle with scoring objectives in the ones geared towards having multiple heros in your army- youre only 7 wounds away from not being able to score in the entire game. If the selection is from all 18 matched play scenarios its a bit less of a concern

Also one hero, you can only use one of the two artifacts you have access to. 

Ghyrstrike + disciple of khorne would give you 4 attacks 2s to hit 2s to wound (& 4+ on charge does 3 wounds instead of d3 if youve popped his command ability).

The remainder of the battleplans are most models in a given range. Juggers have big bases, so you could be out done by a big block of infantry. 

On the flip side, juggers turned sideways are a pretty good stand in for a chaff screen if you need to wall off stuff or protect from an alpha strike. They are also pretty hard to shift once they are there.

Its a 3 drop list- odd are very much in your favour of getting choice over first turn.

Worth being wary that someone could casts cogs and literally box a mammoth in and stop it from being able to move all game.

If i had the models I would totally give it a go!

6 minutes ago, ADDriot said:

Reading the AoS 2.0 errata for BoK around summoning, can daemons move after summoned? It doesn't seem to mention that they can't (I'm assuming they can't).

Summoning is at the end of the movement phase- so no.

Unless your doing the 8bt point one in the hero phase- in which case yes they can move in your movement phase

Edited by TheAdequateWargamer

Good day.

I've yet tested but would want to know what you guys think about my thematic list of "Piligrims in Ulgu" that following giant Khorne Soul Grinders and praising the slaughter.

So here is a lists I have in mind:

List 1. Piligrmage begun

The main idea was to fill points to 200 with big "centerpiece" models. They are not very effective but looking pretty good on table. Also while enemy will bother himself with buffed Soulgrinders (with prayers +1 to hit working with shooting attacks too and Banner wich will give +1 attack on terrifing Claw attack ) my infantry can score objectives. Maybe at some point we will even heal our daemonic engines with Crimson Rain, or lure some poor enemies with blood bind towards them.

LEADERS
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact : The Brazen Rune
Slaughterpriest (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Violent Urgency
- Artefact : Spellmirror
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
UNITS
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
-Goreaxes
- 1 x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
-Goreaxes
- 1 x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
-Reaver Blades
BEHEMOTHS
Soul Grinder (260)
- Mark of Chaos : Khorne
Soul Grinder (260)
Soul Grinder (260)
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (200)
TOTAL: 1960/2000

And List 2. Last sacrifices.
More towards spending first 2 CP on whipping two Soulgrinders and sending them towards enemy heroes and supports, and then second wave of WoK and anothers Soulgrinder. Meanwhile Priests will sacrifice Reaveres in droves and summoning daemons near charging WoK right in enemy's face.

LEADERS
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Command Trait : Immense Power
- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact : The Brazen Rune
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
UNITS
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
-Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
-Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
-Reaver Blades
BEHEMOTHS
Soul Grinder (260)
Soul Grinder (260)
Soul Grinder (260)
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (200)
TOTAL: 1980/2000

So. What do you think? I know it would be pretty risky but fun and wanted to know about weak sides of such lists and how could I mitigate them with tactical decisions.

Edited by Laier
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Hi! Welcome to the combat thrills and blood spills of khorne!

Two mammoths will wreck someones day!

depends what/how you are playing-

if its using the battle plans for matched play (eg going to a tournament) you may struggle with scoring objectives in the ones geared towards having multiple heros in your army- youre only 7 wounds away from not being able to score in the entire game. If the selection is from all 18 matched play scenarios its a bit less of a concern 

Also one hero, you can only use one of the two artifacts you have access to. 

Ghyrstrike + disciple of khorne would give you 4 attacks 2s to hit 2s to wound (& 4+ on charge does 3 wounds instead of d3 if youve popped his command ability).

The remainder of the battleplans are most models in a given range. Juggers have big bases, so you could be out done by a big block of infantry. 

On the flip side, juggers turned sideways are a pretty good stand in for a chaff screen if you need to wall off stuff or protect from an alpha strike. They are also pretty hard to shift once they are there. 

Its a 3 drop list- odd are very much in your favour of getting choice over first turn. 

Worth being wary that someone could casts cogs and literally box a mammoth in and stop it from being able to move all game.

If i had the models I would totally give it a go!

Hi, thanks again for the welcome and the tips :) i guess you mean shackles instead of cogs?  And yes i can change the list abit as i proposed just a bit before But i wont go from 2 mammoths xD i want to see those beasties together ;D

17 minutes ago, Bululu said:

Hi, thanks again for the welcome and the tips :) i guess you mean shackles instead of cogs?  And yes i can change the list abit as i proposed just a bit before But i wont go from 2 mammoths xD i want to see those beasties together ;D

Shackles indeed ;)

Gorepilgrims w/ bronzed flesh + mystic shield. get yourself on a 2+ save rr1s.

Gorepilgrims w/ killing frenzy + skullgrinder.

If you ever got a skullgrinders anvil ability to go off in range things would just get crazy

3 hours ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Summoning is at the end of the movement phase- so no.

Unless your doing the 8bt point one in the hero phase- in which case yes they can move in your movement phase

Page 79 – Blood Tithe Table, Blood Pact Change the rules text to: ‘Pick a Khorne Daemon unit from the summoning list below and add it to your army. Set up the unit anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" from any enemy units. It cannot move in the following movement phase.’

Would be a little OP otherwise though yeah?

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 12:21 AM, Ravinsild said:

All I’m seeing is git gud, only play Khorne and sell my other armies and ascend to 1st place in 15 years with enough experience to show the true power of Khorne. 

Right now the best lists outside brass stampede use the following shell (the same shell I've been using for the last 2 years):

Heros:

1*WOK Thirster (Doppelganger Cloak) 320pt

1*Bloodsecrator(Brazen Rune) 140pt

2-3*Slaughter Priest 

1*Bloodstoker 80pt

Battleline:

30*Bloodletters 320pt

10*Bloodreavers 70pt

5*Bloodwarriors 100pt

Other:

5*Wrathmongers 180pt

Battalion:

Gore Pilgrims 200pt

This is a heavy anti magic shell with the inclusion of the WOK Thirster, Gore Pilgrims + Brazen  Rune. Wrathmongers are incredible against doppelganger cloak. It has turn one charge potential with an average output of about 50 mortal wounds. It also has a 27in threat range with a re-rollable 8-inch charge. If your opponent comes in close then your Slaughter priests can pick up the slack by burning them with a 75% chance to do D6 mortal wounds. throwing doppelganger on your bloodthirster can give you a second Alpha strike or serve as an excellent screening tool against me lay armies because they won't be able to hit him on the first attack. The shell gives you a couple hundred points of wiggle room.

Edited by AngoraDemon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AngoraDemon said:

Right now the best lists outside brass stampede use the following shell (the same shell I've been using for the last 2 years):

Heros:

1*WOK Thirster (Doppelganger Cloak) 320pt

1*Bloodsecrator(Brazen Rune) 140pt

2-3*Slaughter Priest 

1*Bloodstoker 80pt

Battleline:

30*Bloodletters 320pt

10*Bloodreavers 70pt

5*Bloodwarriors 100pt

Other:

5*Wrathmongers 180pt

Battalion:

Gore Pilgrims 200pt

This is a heavy anti magic shell with the inclusion of the WOK Thirster, Gore Pilgrims + Brazen  Rune. Wrathmongers are incredible against doppelganger cloak. It has turn one charge potential with an average output of about 50 mortal wounds. It also has a 27in threat range with a re-rollable 8-inch charge. If your opponent comes in close then your Slaughter priests can pick up the slack by burning them with a 75% chance to do D6 mortal wounds. throwing doppelganger on your bloodthirster can give you a second Alpha strike or serve as an excellent screening tool against me lay armies because they won't be able to hit him on the first attack. The shell gives you a couple hundred points of wiggle room.

I wouldn’t be able to play the shell :( I don’t have a WoK Bloodthirster yet and I have 0 Bloodletters. The only demon I own is an Insensate Rage BT and SKARBRAND. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

Page 79 – Blood Tithe Table, Blood Pact Change the rules text to: ‘Pick a Khorne Daemon unit from the summoning list below and add it to your army. Set up the unit anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" from any enemy units. It cannot move in the following movement phase.’

Would be a little OP otherwise though yeah?

Fair play- note to self.. always reread the manual before posting. 

32 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I wouldn’t be able to play the shell :( I don’t have a WoK Bloodthirster yet and I have 0 Bloodletters. The only demon I own is an Insensate Rage BT and SKARBRAND. 

At the moment blood letters are a staple unit. Even if you run a pure Mortals list, you would want Daemon units for summoning. It sounds more like you don't have the right models for a competitive list then you need to "get good". For now I would consider proxying models before you buy anything to play test and see how a list you would want to play works.

Skull reapers are also a nice Hammer but they're a little bit too slow. At the moment khorne has no Mobility mechanics. it puts us in an awkward position where we're forced to run demons to compensate.

Edited by AngoraDemon

I can vouch for the shell. It brings all of Khorne's best elements together with a few spare points for experimentation and def seems to be the best competitive option. 

@Bululu I like the look of the reworked list. Definitely have given yourself the chance to be competitive. The extra bonus for maximising the battalion is nice but Im not sure how often it would come off. I would suggest playing the new list a few times and make a note of the times where that ability might have been used. 

Im sure other users of the brass stampede could comment on the value of maxing out the battalion. 

8 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I can vouch for the shell. It brings all of Khorne's best elements together with a few spare points for experimentation and def seems to be the best competitive option. 

@Bululu I like the look of the reworked list. Definitely have given yourself the chance to be competitive. The extra bonus for maximising the battalion is nice but Im not sure how often it would come off. I would suggest playing the new list a few times and make a note of the times where that ability might have been used. 

Im sure other users of the brass stampede could comment on the value of maxing out the battalion. 

Thanks a lot mate, i will try it as soon as i get the models (will get a bit of time like a month) and i will comment here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bululu said:

I like the idea of whipping a mammoth with a bloodstoker then teleporting him with sayl the faithless. Expensive combo but would definitely force people to deal with a back line first turn charge from an absolute beast (or 2 in your case)

20 minutes ago, Retro said:

I like the idea of whipping a mammoth with a bloodstoker then teleporting him with sayl the faithless. Expensive combo but would definitely force people to deal with a back line first turn charge from an absolute beast (or 2 in your case)

Given that the anything that can use “Traitors Mist” can’t move in the subsequent move phase and the Mammoth base is HUGE ... it would be interesting to see how it works.

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Given that the anything that can use “Traitors Mist” can’t move in the subsequent move phase and the Mammoth base is HUGE ... it would be interesting to see how it works.

Unit must be wholly within 15, pretty tight ?

Well I tested out that all multi-wound list and I was not impressed with the results for a variety of reasons. 

Namely lack of blood tithe and priests whiffing due to lack of Gore Pilgrims support. 

Also im beginning to see what you mean by lack of mobility.... my entire Skulltake Battalion got blocked off by my Mighty Skullcrushers charges and didn’t even get into combat by the 3rd round... and the MSC just couldn’t deal with the 40 man saurus Warrior blob effectively. It was a giant tarpit on both sides that accomplished almost nothing and I lost the game horribly due to objectives. 

Even casual Seraphon lists are really tough....

2 hours ago, MOMUS said:

Unit must be wholly within 15, pretty tight ?

Yeah ... have you seen the size of the mammoth? Right?

08CE7520-F68F-4968-9FBD-FC1A828E6C06.jpeg.f279ad205c40d306b81fe05ae3f259fd.jpeg

The guy at the top is standard Chaos Warrior Size...

105C6F26-6301-44F6-BAF5-3C3347B14A60.jpeg.7eb8f94b9b0e3b80d358eb126196d00d.jpeg

With the tusks ... depending on where the model is it could be close to fit it wholly within ... if you’re not using the FW model ... and proxying something else ... but the real ones are insanely huge. 

3 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Yeah ... have you seen the size of the mammoth? Right?

08CE7520-F68F-4968-9FBD-FC1A828E6C06.jpeg.f279ad205c40d306b81fe05ae3f259fd.jpeg

The guy at the top is standard Chaos Warrior Size...

105C6F26-6301-44F6-BAF5-3C3347B14A60.jpeg.7eb8f94b9b0e3b80d358eb126196d00d.jpeg

With the tusks ... depending on where the model is it could be close to fit it wholly within ... if you’re not using the FW model ... and proxying something else ... but the real ones are insanely huge. 

BRING IT BACK PLLZZZZZ need more stuff like this in AOS ;)

12 hours ago, Retro said:

Damn mate im sure that would be hilarious i surely have to try this one sometime xD