AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So the new Bloodsecrator Rage of Khorne ability can only be used once per game regardless of how many bloodsecrators you bring, right?  

Once per battle, at the start of the combat phase, you can pick 1 friendly unit on the battlefield with this ability to plant its Icon of Khorne.  If you do so, add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons used by friendly Blades of Khorne Units on the battlefield until the end of that phase.

Just now, willange said:

So the new Bloodsecrator Rage of Khorne ability can only be used once per game regardless of how many bloodsecrators you bring, right?  

I believe it is once per game per "friendly unit on the battlefield with this ability."

What's unclear to me is if you can bring say 3 and pick them one after the other to activate all on the same turn. It seems like you would pick 1 to activate then pick 1 to activate then pick 1 to activate since simultaneous effects are just carried out in an order of the controlling players choosing.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, willange said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, the wording is the same as on the new Keeper of Secrets double fight ability. If you could use it multiple times I would expect it to say something like once per battle for each unit that has this ability or something similar, but it just says once per battle. It's a little weird because we don't usually have a rule on units that can be taken multiple times but is still limited to once per battle, but I'm pretty sure that's the intention. 

Edited by Grimrock

3 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I'm pretty sure you're right, the wording is the same as on the new Keeper of Secrets double fight ability. If you could use it multiple times I would expect it to say something like once per battle for each unit that has this ability or something similar, but it just says once per battle. It's a little weird because we don't usually have a rule on units that can be taken multiple times but is still limited to once per battle, but I'm pretty sure that's the intention. 

For me the key bit is the 

Once per battle, at the start of the combat phase, you can pick 1 friendly unit on the battlefield with this ability to plant its Icon of Khorne.

part.  If you look at the Realmgore Ritualist's "Desecrating Blood Runes" ability, it's clearer (at least in my mind):

Once per battle, at the end of your movement phase, you can pick 1 objective or terrain feature...

Note the lack of the phrase "1 friendly unit on the battlefield".  To me, that makes it appear that each ritualist could use desecrating blood runes once.

EDIT: To be fair the Keeper of Secrets' "Excess of Violence" ability uses "any friendly units" instead of "1 friendly unit".  Maybe that's the difference maker?  I'd still love an FAQ clarification here.

Edited by willange

59 minutes ago, acovarru91 said:

I have another question. Assuming I only have one box of Skullreapers/Wrathmongers to build, which should I go for? Any tips for mandatory mortal units to bring?

Puhhh i think it depents on the Way u want to play.

The Skullreaper are better in a stand alone

the Wraithmonger are better to buff 2-3 littel Heros....

I would take this with u want to play or u think look cooler (style for.. ;) )

My Info, here is the List for the first games for my littel Son (10): I hope/ i am a littel afraid 🤪

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
Blutschar: Bloodlords

Leaders
Skarbrand (380)*

Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne (160)**

Artefact: Bloodmark

Blutsegen: Killerinstinct

Slaughterpriest (110)*

General: Rage..

Blutsegen: Bloodrital

Karanak (140) **

Meister des Blutes, Herold of Khorne (110) **

Artefakt: Blutcorona

Blutsegen: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
20 x Bloodletters (360)*
-
 Reinforced x 1
10 x Bloodletters (180)*
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)*

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)*

Units
6 x Bloodcrushers (360)*
-
 Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Command Entourage – Strategists

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154
Drops: 3

1 hour ago, acovarru91 said:

Thanks for those who answered my question!

I have another question. Assuming I only have one box of Skullreapers/Wrathmongers to build, which should I go for? Any tips for mandatory mortal units to bring?

Its easy! Buy another one and build both. Otherway it depends on your list. Need buffs for other units, take the wrathmongers. Need a damage dealer. Build the reapers. I have 2 units of reapers and one mongers in my mortal army.

Can a more experienced general explain to me how to use mighty skullcrushers better?

They are neigh indestructible but other than the mortal wounds on the charge hit like a wet noodle. Am I missing something to increase their damage output?

9 hours ago, AmonRa said:

Would leaving them at just a unit of 3 be enough then?

I think it depends. Do you want to use multiple anvils to spread out and hold some key objectives or one group of 6 to hold one major objective.. 

If I remember correctly Vince Venturela had a great discussion about the blades of khorne book some days ago and he discussed this matter.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:13 PM, The Red King said:

So in another case of "oops all spam" while list building I ended up contemplating this list.

Skullfiend tribe 

Bleeding icon

Skull altar

Skarbrand

Bloodsecrator with banner of blood

Bloodstoker

Realmgore ritualis general w/ high priest of khorne, killer instinct, blood sacrifice, & tunnel master

10 skullreapers ×3

5 wrathmongers

That's it. Just throw a ton of skullreapers that rally on a 4+ at the opponent. Their damage is respectable even with almost no buffs and weve got buffs. Tunnel master maybe should go on the bloodsecrator instead but the way it works so nicely with the ritualists desecrate ability (end of move phase after teleport) is just really nice.

2nd prayer is really up in the air, maybe take an extra artifact or even gallation champion ability for leadership of the alpha on the bloodsecrator to rally more? First summon is probably definitely going to be another priest though to grab another prayer and then dogs for bodies?

Have you tried this list yet? I think it looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mods: Could we get our own sub-forum please, like the other 3rd Edition books?

Have played my first game with the new book. Man, tagging things with Reavers + Murderlust feels amazing! I'm a bit bummed though that almost none of our units have more than Damage 1. We are a techy control army now which still feels very at odds with the portrayal in the fluff to me. 

Historically speaking Khorne never was the "Buff your guys with prayers" faction. We always just had straight up scary units in fantasy times. 

• Like 1

So what is everyone’s first turn strategy so far? I feel like the most important thing is blood tithe generation and prayers

So far I’m having good results from BoUF priest, 2 slaughterpriests and a bloodmaster.

Blood sacrifice Skarr

summon the axe and kill skarr

bronzed flesh and killer instinct on Mighty skullcrushers

murderlust as required

roll to res skarr

3d6 charge on Mighty skullcrushers if required to alpha pin

Obviously dont always get the prayers off. Sets me up for murderlust every hero phase and overflow tithe into summoning with BoUF to get them into combat that same turn.

First turn:

I blood sacrifice some Reavers and launch them up with Killer Instinct. I put Bronzed Flesh and Unholy Flames where needed. 

Movement phase I run my Reavers so that they are 3,1" from my opponent's units and in their hero phase I use Murder Lust to pin them in. 

+1 Rend on a blob of 20 Blood Warriors is gold! They do so much damage and are quite tanky! 

+1 Save goes on my Skullcrushers to be an unkillable anvil and just tank whatever I need. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start converting my army to give them some Aztec flair like the new models (Dromm, Realmgore ritualist, Claws of Karanak). I plan to use mainly Seraphon bits, does anyone have any advice or other bits that could be used?

As for the list this is what I'm going for at the moment

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Slaughterpriest (110)*
- General
- Command Trait: High-priest of Khorne
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm (Galletian Champion)
- Prayer: Bronzed Flesh
- Prayer: Blood Sacrifice
Korghos Khul (160)*
Realmgore Ritualist (100)*
- Prayer: Killer Instinct
- Prayer: Bloodbind
Dromm, Wounder of Worlds (180)**
- Prayer: Unholy Flames
- Prayer: Killer Instinct
Bloodsecrator (110)**
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate
- Aspect of the Champion: Leadership of the Alpha
Skarr Bloodwrath (100)**

Battleline
20 x Blood Warriors (380)***
- Goreaxes
- 2x Goreglaives
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Blood Warriors (380)***
- Goreaxes
- 2x Goreglaives
- Reinforced x 1
8 x Claws of Karanak (100)***
10 x Bloodreavers (80)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Garrek's Reavers (70)*
3 x Magore's Fiends (0)**
1 x Riptooth (120)
2 x Gorechosen of Dromm (0)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Wrath-Axe (70)
Bleeding Icon (40)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Galletian Veterans

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Prayer

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162
Drops: 14

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm not the -biggest- fan of the basic skullreaper models and previously I had some fun converting some wrathmongers out of a box of Chaos Legionnaires. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for kit ideas that can work well for conversions or any possibly 3d printed proxies from etsy. I'm a big fan of converting and kitbashing or finding just generally cool and different models so I'm very curious to see if anyone has recommendations or have seen things that work well.

If I can't find any alternatives I can just use the regular ones but I'd like to see what options I have first regardless.