AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey,

after beeing away from playing for a few years now, I`d like to  play at a small local tournament in a few weeks. Since I got no playing experience in the current meta I`d like to ask if the attached list ist kind of "playable" in a mid tier competitive way (and what to do with the second artifact).

Miniatures I own and are not in the list are:

Lord on Manticor

Lord on Karkadrak

20x Bloodreaver

15x Bloodwarrior

5x Flesh Hounds

30x Bloodletter

3x Mighty Skullcrusher

1x Skullgrinder

1x Mindstealer Sphiranx

1x Exalted Deathbringer

TEST1.pdf

It is hard to make something out of your collection, as you do not habe the strongest force multipliers for a Khorne army. First of all, it is the Slaughterpriests and the Bloodsecrator. Next up, Bloodstoker, Wrathmongers and Khorne Judgements are very useful Tools. 

From your collection, both Lords are good choice. However, they both need the same Artefact, the Gorecleaver to dish out some damage. Nevertheless, you can use your Karkadrak as a Tank with the Goretide Artefact that lets you ignore Rend. 

Next up Battleline: 20 Bloodreavers are a good battleline. Flesh Hounds are good cheap Objective grabbers and can mob up chaff units as well. Bloodwarriors are pretty meh, actually. They are quite expensive and are neither good at dealing damage nor at taking damage. There are just a lot more units are that do the same Job better and cheaper. 

30 Bloodletters are a viable choice. However, they need a lot of Support. Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers for Extra attacks, perhaps +1 to Hit from the Slaughterpriests, re-rolling Hit rolls of 1 from a Demon hero nearby and double pile-in from Reapers of Vengeance command Ability and there you go. With that Support, they can really do some work. Their weakness es are their huge base which only lets you attack from one rank, their squishyness and, if they are unsupported, their bad damage loadout. 

The Skullcrushers aee nice and tanky, but they need to be at least 6 in order to get the sweet D3 Mortal Wounds on the Charge. 

How to build an army with what you have? 

You should build around your two Chaos Lords. 20 Bloodreavers(2*10) and Fleshhounds for Objective grabbing and battleline. Skullcrushers for tanking enemy units. 

And now I do Not know, how many points you play and this have left over. 

Next Priority could be the 30 Bloodletter. Then you might Insert the Skullgrinder and Exalted Deathbringer. And lastly the Bloodwarriors. They might work as a Tag Team with the Grinder and Deathbringer, as extra wounds to soak up some damage. 

Competetive Khorne lists work with Bloodthirsters who pile in twice and all Hit at once or as Mortal lists with a lot of Skullreapers or Skullcrushers or with a lot of Slaves to Darkness units, mainly Marauders, Knights and Warshrine. 

• Like 1

First of all thank you for your answer and sorry for my post being a bit unclear. I have attached the list and postet all the units I own  but did not use in the army. So anybody could tell me if there are better possibilities with my collection. 

So here is the list I built:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

LEADERS
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- General
- Command Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)

Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Bloodsecrator (120)
Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- Goreaxe and Skullhammer

UNITS
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1 x Goreglaives

10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

5 x Wrathmongers (140)

5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades

5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades

BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 135
LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

Ah, ok sorry, I could not open the file and thought, these were the ones you had.

Your list looks pretty solid, though. I would just swap around afew artefacts.

I would give your Wrath of Khorne Thirster the Mage-Eater trait , because he gets a second unbind at +2 with that. He or your Bloodsecrator could get the Skullshard Mantle so that your other Bloodthirster can get some offensive artefact. Ar`gath (always hit Heros o a 2+), Khartoth (on a 4+ strikes first) or the Harvester of Skulls (flat+1 attack) are good picks. I assume that you do not have more Bloodthirsters to build a Tyrants of Blood Battaillon. I like your idea of teaming up the Aspiring Deathbringer with the Skullreapers. That might be a little surprise because nobody knows him anymore. 

However, you have to consider that the tournament meta at the moment is shooting-heavy, so in some matchups, your Bloodthirsters might get shot before they can do anything. Moreover, I think that you do not get very much out of your allegiance. Reapers of Vengeance is really good and strong, but it is only two models that profit. This may or may not work. Another variation would be to use your two Lords instead of your Bloodthirsters. That would save you 60 points (Wrath-Axe, yeah! or another unit of Bloodreavers) and you may switch over to Goretide. You could give one of them Hew the Foe+ Gorecleaver and the other one or the Bloodsecrator Thronebreaker`s Torc. At least the Karkadrak will be much tankier than a Bloodthirster. 

All in all, your list is solid. Your other models do not allow much variation like a Demon Prince or some Slaves units, so it is the best you can make of your collection.

Edited by Salyx
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Salyx said:

Ah, ok sorry, I could not open the file and thought, these were the ones you had.

Your list looks pretty solid, though. I would just swap around afew artefacts.

I would give your Wrath of Khorne Thirster the Mage-Eater trait , because he gets a second unbind at +2 with that. He or your Bloodsecrator could get the Skullshard Mantle so that your other Bloodthirster can get some offensive artefact. Ar`gath (always hit Heros o a 2+), Khartoth (on a 4+ strikes first) or the Harvester of Skulls (flat+1 attack) are good picks. I assume that you do not have more Bloodthirsters to build a Tyrants of Blood Battaillon. I like your idea of teaming up the Aspiring Deathbringer with the Skullreapers. That might be a little surprise because nobody knows him anymore. 

However, you have to consider that the tournament meta at the moment is shooting-heavy, so in some matchups, your Bloodthirsters might get shot before they can do anything. Moreover, I think that you do not get very much out of your allegiance. Reapers of Vengeance is really good and strong, but it is only two models that profit. This may or may not work. Another variation would be to use your two Lords instead of your Bloodthirsters. That would save you 60 points (Wrath-Axe, yeah! or another unit of Bloodreavers) and you may switch over to Goretide. You could give one of them Hew the Foe+ Gorecleaver and the other one or the Bloodsecrator Thronebreaker`s Torc. At least the Karkadrak will be much tankier than a Bloodthirster. 

All in all, your list is solid. Your other models do not allow much variation like a Demon Prince or some Slaves units, so it is the best you can make of your collection.

That helps a lot, thank you!

Theoretically, what about replacing the Bloodthirsters and 5 Blood Warriors with Lord on Manticore + Skarbrand and going Goretide instead of Reapers?

Hi i tryb to make skullcrushers great again

Allegiance: Khorne

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (160)

- General

- Command Trait: Hew the Foe

- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc

Bloodsecrator (120)

- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Artefact: The Brazen Rune

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline

20 x Blood Warriors (400)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

- Reaver Blades

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)

- Bloodglaives

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)

- Bloodglaives

6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (320)

- Bloodglaives

Battalions

Brass Stampede (140)

Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 2

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 140

Post how well these guys do when you play them. I've never made much use of them except back when they were 140 points as my screening units, their mortal wound output and damage was never great even when it worked.

I haven't been playing AoS for a while due to all my game stores shutting down, so I don't even know what people are fielding now or how Mighty Skullcrushers would do.

Hi. I'm playing Big Waagh in a couple of days on TTS. We're going to be playing scorched earth. The game will be 1800 points. I was wondering if this list would be good?

Spoiler

Karkadrak - Hew the foe and gorecleaver

Bloodsectrator - banner of wrath 

2 x Slaughter priest (killing frenzy and blood sacrifice)

2x10 reavers

5 Warriors

6 Skullcrushers

10 Knights

Warshrine 

Skulls 

Gorepilgrims. - 1780 points

I was thinking that should maybe swap the skulls and swap the karkadrak for a daemon prince and then include a bloodstoker (this would make me have equal  drops to him. Which do you think is better? He is running a mixed bonesplittaz and ironjaws list (with 3 casts). He likes to castle up in the middle of the board until he's at 24 waagh points (round 2 if he's lucky, 3 if he isn't) then attempt to wipe me from the table while using smaller units to hold the objectives, thereby forcing me to make the first move and risk getting counter charged. Are there any changes that I should make to the list?

Thank you!

Looks like all your punch is in the knights. I have never gotten much from skullcrushers, so another unit of knights or skullreapers might be nice.

If he is holding objectives with small units you might want something small and fast to take them out or just stand around to contest them. 

Marauder horses, Allied warehounds, more knights, you kind of have to judge what will work.

I like warhounds for screens, which can help make sure you don't get swept. They are a super long chain of bubble wrap. They are 10 points more than readers, but they formed a longer chain and are faster.

Don't take my advice as gospel though, because I played my first game in like a year last night and it was pretty rough. I recorded it, but me and my opponent made too many errors to list since we were out of practice. (It was Lumineth and I nearly got tabled, but won on points)

• Thanks 1

1 or 2 Khorgoraths can fit into every list. They offer good Value for their price. For 100 points, they have a decent offensive Potential, pretty good in Skullfiend Tribe. They can heal, are reasonably durable and easy Bloodtithe. 

So why does no one play them? First of all, they are hard to get and only have one pose. So getting several is hard. Furthermore, they only fit into one Bataillon, which completely depends on a 5 wounds 4+ save hero. I hate those bataillons, they can be nullified so easily. So they very likely increase your Drops. If you take one, there are few things better for 100 points. However, if you take 2, you might as well get a unit of Skullreapers for that price, or a unit of Marauders, a Demon Prince... These are just better. 5 Skullreapers do 7.7 damage(10 damage with re-rolls), excluding special weapon, against a 4+ save, whereas Khorgoraths only do around 6 damage. Ok, with a Cp in Skullfiend Tribe, they do 10.5 damage, but for a Cp you can as well have a unit of Marauders or a Bloodthirster pile in twice. Other disadvantage is their bravery of 6, so if you play bigger units, you may Lose another one from Battleshock, especially, if your enemy has some - bravery. 

So, having one is always a good deal, if you want to have more, you have to tailor your army around them, with Skullfiend Tribe and some Bravery Buffs, because you might want to play larger units to focus your damage. 

Another approach would be to totally go for MSU, not care about Drops and just swarm the Board with Single Khorgoraths, Bloodreavers, Wrathmongers, etc. all the cheap-is units. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Salyx said:

1 or 2 Khorgoraths can fit into every list. They offer good Value for their price. For 100 points, they have a decent offensive Potential, pretty good in Skullfiend Tribe. They can heal, are reasonably durable and easy Bloodtithe. 

So why does no one play them? First ...

Thanks-I like the idea of running them as MSU, I think that could be a fun way to play them. Skullfiend tribe sounds interesting as well, definitely will give that a look. Appreciate the information!

What are you guys doing for Lumineth?

The Shining companies are pretty painful. I've played a few games where the bows and mountain rock throws have been doing a lot of damage too.

I've generally been able to keep spells closed down with the skulls and all my dispel attempts, but the game I played I did not have anything to stop BS so I got torn up by the Cathalar's ability.

I guess I mainly find it is hard to walk up and beat on their shinning companies. The -1 to hit makes it hard to kill their bowmen with cavalry and flesh hounds, so I feel like I need to walk something good towards them. The spears can be bad too.

I have been able to outscore them (do to lucky priority rolls), but I feel like there has got to be a better way.

11 hours ago, kahadin said:

What are you guys doing for Lumineth?

The Shining companies are pretty painful. I've played a few games where the bows and mountain rock throws have been doing a lot of damage too.

I've generally been able to keep spells closed down with the skulls and all my dispel attempts, but the game I played I did not have anything to stop BS so I got torn up by the Cathalar's ability.

I guess I mainly find it is hard to walk up and beat on their shinning companies. The -1 to hit makes it hard to kill their bowmen with cavalry and flesh hounds, so I feel like I need to walk something good towards them. The spears can be bad too.

I have been able to outscore them (do to lucky priority rolls), but I feel like there has got to be a better way.

You yourself mentioned what to do against Lumineth: Outscore them. They are not very mobile and are strongest when you just charge right in, because then they will just get beaten up and you have to do their battleshock or they get their -1 to hit and +1 save out. However, their bonuses depend on then playing defensively. And they are not numerous. So if you swarm their objectives without attacking them, they have a harder time (Yay, Beastmen style!). Pretty sad to say, but the 5 wounds heroes can become pretty pointless against their archers. Rather get attack buffs from Wrathmongers than rely on your Bloodsecrator  alone.

A really good counter to Lumineth are Skullreapers: They do not care that much about -1 to hit or +1 armor as they reroll hits and deal Mortal Wounds. They will always do their kills. On top of that, they are immune to Battleshock. But they are sooo slow. Perhaps some whipping (although Mr. Whippy won`t last very long) and Hero Phase movement may do the trick.

Sorry for this "noob-kind" of question, but are there any kind of buffs that have an effect on mounts? I know command abilities and relics don`t affect them but what about Bloodsecrator, Wrathmongers or Hew the Foe ?

Bloodsecrator and Wrathmonger buffs apply to mounts as well because they apply to Khorne units and the mounts are part of the unit. So Bloodstoker and Aspiring Deathbringer does work on Mounts as well.

Artefacts and Command Traits apply only to the Hero himself unless stated otherwise. It does not say that it applies to the whole unit.

• Thanks 2

On 2/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, Salyx said:

So why does no one play them? First of all, they are hard to get and only have one pose. So getting several is hard. Furthermore, they only fit into one Bataillon, which completely depends on a 5 wounds 4+ save hero. I hate those bataillons, they can be nullified so easily. So they very likely increase your Drops. If you take one, there are few things better for 100 points. However, if you take 2, you might as well get a unit of Skullreapers for that price, or a unit of Marauders, a Demon Prince... These are just better. 5 Skullreapers do 7.7 damage(10 damage with re-rolls), excluding special weapon, against a 4+ save, whereas Khorgoraths only do around 6 damage. Ok, with a Cp in Skullfiend Tribe, they do 10.5 damage, but for a Cp you can as well have a unit of Marauders or a Bloodthirster pile in twice. Other disadvantage is their bravery of 6, so if you play bigger units, you may Lose another one from Battleshock, especially, if your enemy has some - bravery. 

So, having one is always a good deal, if you want to have more, you have to tailor your army around them, with Skullfiend Tribe and some Bravery Buffs, because you might want to play larger units to focus your damage. 

Another approach would be to totally go for MSU, not care about Drops and just swarm the Board with Single Khorgoraths, Bloodreavers, Wrathmongers, etc. all the cheap-is units. 

I've run 9 korgorath as msu in skulltaker. At the time they were about 25 usd each on eBay. With skulltaker and some support they are outrageous, though I've always lost on points since model count is so low. I've gotten pretty close though, maybe just needs some practice. When you go full meme tho you're not really playing to win since you've already won in your heart.

16145861233222621728502748265553.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Ok noob question,

I am close to finishing my khorne army planning on playing at the end of the month at my local shop.

Went ahead and magnetized all the weapons and wings on my bloodthirstiers so I have options what kind I want to field or summon.

For the Unfetted and Insenate rage I think I am good to go. But for Wrath of Khorne I have a question.

If I want to use the "Rune-crown of Khorne" ability, under WYSIWYG rules do I have to always use the one head with the crown?

I was hopping to give a different head to each because it just looks nice on display.

Hey everyone,

So I'm hoping for a little help (keeping in mind I'm not a Khorne player, so don't really know what I'm talking about):

I run a games club at the school where I work, and am putting together 1000 point forces built around the various Age of Sigmar starter sets (namely, the original one and the Soul Wars box), so I'm working on expanding the Khorne half of the original box, with the idea to make it a sort of board game for people to play with during club meetings. As a reminder, here's the list of that:

Mighty Lord of Khorne (or Khorgus Khul)

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

Khorgorath

5x Blood Warriors

20x Bloodreavers

So as it stands, I have 720 points if I run the Mighty Lord of Khorne as Khorgus Khul (which I'm leaning towards since I have Vandus Hammerhand in the Stormcast half) or 680 points if I run it as an unnamed version. So my question for you becomes this: where do I go from here? I'm not really going for hardcore competitive, but I don't really know where to expand it from what is included in the box. My one rule for suggestions is that everything above NEEDS to be in the final list, but I don't mind buying other models that aren't listed above to add some cool new stuff to the list (that is, feel free to suggest other units from the Khorne range)

Thanks!

My Suggestion would be to include a Slaughterpriest and a unit of Skullreapers, which would be 1000 points on the nose. Alternative, you could push the Bloodwarriors to a 10 men squad and include Skullreapers. However, the Slaughterpriest variant is stronger. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Salyx said:

My Suggestion would be to include a Slaughterpriest and a unit of Skullreapers, which would be 1000 points on the nose. Alternative, you could push the Bloodwarriors to a 10 men squad and include Skullreapers. However, the Slaughterpriest variant is stronger. 

Thanks! I've actually been looking at picking up a Slaughter Priest for Warcry purposes, so now I have justification to do that!

11 hours ago, Bonhammerstorm said:

If I want to use the "Rune-crown of Khorne" ability, under WYSIWYG rules do I have to always use the one head with the crown?

That would be the strictest interpretation of WYSIWYG I have ever heard of and cant see it being a problem anywhere. 

I don't think its ever been established that any of the bloodthirster heads represent a specific ability or artifact so go with rule of cool.

End of the day its still a bloodthirster and anyone who gave you grief over which head you use is not worth playing. 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:51 AM, Bonhammerstorm said:

No. I wouldn't even ask about it at the store, it will just open the door to some jokester trying to strip abilities and magic items off units unless someone can find something in the rules that says you can have abilities that aren't obviously modeled onto the unit.

Maybe ask the guy running the tourney in private with nobody watching.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, kahadin said:

Looks like all your punch is in the knights. I have never gotten much from skullcrushers, so another unit of knights or skullreapers might be nice.

If he is holding objectives with small units you might want something small and fast to take them out or just stand around to contest them. 

Marauder horses, Allied warehounds, more knights, you kind of have to judge what will work.

I like warhounds for screens, which can help make sure you don't get swept. They are a super long chain of bubble wrap. They are 10 points more than readers, but they formed a longer chain and are faster.

Don't take my advice as gospel though, because I played my first game in like a year last night and it was pretty rough. I recorded it, but me and my opponent made too many errors to list since we were out of practice. (It was Lumineth and I nearly got tabled, but won on points)

Thank you for your advice. I changed the list around quite a lot and made sure it  included warhounds, and they did really well. I also modified it t have more threats in skullreaperes and a daemon prince. 

I won the game 20-19 (despite having none of my orriginal army left on the table at the end of the battle) after the daemon prince ran around his backfield, summoning bodies and holding objectives. Sadly, I got badly doubled into BR 2 and didn't screen well, despite the extra bodies, meaing that the skullreapers died after only being able to attack once. 

I'm increasingy finding that against big waagh, I just can't beat them by killing them, so I just have to play the objective game. Even the skullreapers have been dissappointing in the last few games, after failing to kill a unit of five boarboyz. The wrathmongers have been very swingy, one game tabling 3 gore-gruntas, and the next failing to kill a big boss. What tips do you have for getting the most out of them? I've been using killing frenzy, and keeping them near the banner of the bloodsecrator. Might an aspiring deathbringer be useful?

Edited by LordRhulak