AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 minutes ago, James S said:

Definitely need a battalion to make it work. I can't see the cost of him for a once a game ability on a single unit. I hope to see more of him and stompy IJ this edition.

To be fair, he is much more than just a single use command ability.  It is quite a potent command ability, but it is not the only thing on his warscroll different than the normal Megaboss on Maw Crusher.  Gordrakk has a nastier base-line attacks profile and his 2 named weapons are quite disgusting against heroes and wizards.  A model who is both a hero and a wizard is probably in for a really bad day.

But you are correct in that his command ability really requires a battalion to work well.

• Like 1

So to cheer you guys up that it’s not all bad for IJ I had my first aos2 game last night 

Turn 1 with mighty destroyers moved Mawkrusha up 12” then 9” then charge his general (Durthu) took him off then lost MK, 5 brutes, 6 gorepigs and a footboss to Allarielle, freelord and 2x3 scythe hunters. 

so going  into T3 all I have left it 2x 10 ardboyz, 5 brutes warchanter and weirdnob, he had Freelord, allarielle 3 hunters 2x10 (free) dryads, 2x5 revs and a branchwytch

foot of gork does does 18 wounds to allarielle, kills the hunters (12 wounds) kills 5 dryads (they battleshock off later) 5 brutes charge and merc treelord T4 (#brutes) 

big win for the IJ Gork likes AoS2! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

So to cheer you guys up that it’s not all bad for IJ I had my first aos2 game last night 

Turn 1 with mighty destroyers moved Mawkrusha up 12” then 9” then charge his general (Durthu) took him off then lost MK, 5 brutes, 6 gorepigs and a footboss to Allarielle, freelord and 2x3 scythe hunters. 

so going  into T3 all I have left it 2x 10 ardboyz, 5 brutes warchanter and weirdnob, he had Freelord, allarielle 3 hunters 2x10 (free) dryads, 2x5 revs and a branchwytch

foot of gork does does 18 wounds to allarielle, kills the hunters (12 wounds) kills 5 dryads (they battleshock off later) 5 brutes charge and merc treelord T4 (#brutes) 

big win for the IJ Gork likes AoS2! 

The lesson here is to not upset Gork (or Mork...) or else they are liable to stomp you into the dirt.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Foot of Gork is my favourite spell in the whole game, it's awesome.

3 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

To be fair, he is much more than just a single use command ability.  It is quite a potent command ability, but it is not the only thing on his warscroll different than the normal Megaboss on Maw Crusher.  Gordrakk has a nastier base-line attacks profile and his 2 named weapons are quite disgusting against heroes and wizards.  A model who is both a hero and a wizard is probably in for a really bad day.

Is he 140 points better though, that's the big question. Would you rather have the big G with no battalion or a normal MK with an extra unit of GG's.

EDIT: As a note, whoever said that you don't generate a new general in matched play was correct. It's really hidden in the GHB rules but it is there.

Edited by Malakree

Man between the Realm stuff and the Allegiance stuff I have no idea what the best General use command traits or artefacts are anymore. Normally I would have my boys be from Shyish due to like personal lore for them, but the Ghur stuff which is the generic homeland of the Orruks seems amazing too. 

4 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Is he 140 points better though, that's the big question. Would you rather have the big G with no battalion or a normal MK with an extra unit of GG's.

EDIT: As a note, whoever said that you don't generate a new general in matched play was correct. It's really hidden in the GHB rules but it is there.

I mentioned it on a thread, not sure if it was this one or not.

Is Gordrakk 140 points better - I dunno.  I think it depends on the situation. 

I would say most of the time probably not - which is unfortunate.  He will do more damage than the standard MegaBoss, but I sort of feel that Gordrakk's weapons should both get an extra point of rend.  I think that simple change would probably put him a lot closer to his cost.

16 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Man between the Realm stuff and the Allegiance stuff I have no idea what the best General use command traits or artefacts are anymore. Normally I would have my boys be from Shyish due to like personal lore for them, but the Ghur stuff which is the generic homeland of the Orruks seems amazing too. 

If you want to be from Shyish then the Ethereal Amulet on an MK seems like a solid choice. Considering that Ironclad is such consistent trait for an MK this is, in a lot of ways, just an upgraded version of it that trades your Artefact for a Command Trait instead.

Without having to take Ironclad suddenly both Brutish Cunning and Prophet of the Waaagh! become solid choices.

On the otherside of it a Banshee Blade is potentially hilarious with a few WC buffs. This is only amplified with the buff to the Boss Skewer, potentially combing it with Suffocating Gravetide and Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws. -3 Bravery means even Death units are now more likely to take the MW than not, Low Bravery units like skaven or grots are screwed.

EDIT:

6 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I mentioned it on a thread, not sure if it was this one or not.

Is Gordrakk 140 points better - I dunno.  I think it depends on the situation. 

I would say most of the time probably not - which is unfortunate.  He will do more damage than the standard MegaBoss, but I sort of feel that Gordrakk's weapons should both get an extra point of rend.  I think that simple change would probably put him a lot closer to his cost.

To be honest a battalion is almost Guaranteed in Ironjawz now, with that being the case the big G is looking WAY nicer, especially since you don't have to take him as your general.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Brute Fist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

For example is pretty filthy, the 3d6+3" charge makes the Brutefist charge far more likely to go off and combos fantastically with the +2 attacks from the big G. Potentially replace the Weirdnob with a Fungoid to try and do it multiple times a game.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Foot of Gork is my favourite spell in the whole game, it's awesome.

What page please fella save me searching ?

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

If you want to be from Shyish then the Ethereal Amulet on an MK seems like a solid choice. Considering that Ironclad is such consistent trait for an MK this is, in a lot of ways, just an upgraded version of it that trades your Artefact for a Command Trait instead.

Without having to take Ironclad suddenly both Brutish Cunning and Prophet of the Waaagh! become solid choices.

On the otherside of it a Banshee Blade is potentially hilarious with a few WC buffs. This is only amplified with the buff to the Boss Skewer, potentially combing it with Suffocating Gravetide and Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws. -3 Bravery means even Death units are now more likely to take the MW than not, Low Bravery units like skaven or grots are screwed.

EDIT:

To be honest a battalion is almost Guaranteed in Ironjawz now, with that being the case the big G is looking WAY nicer, especially since you don't have to take him as your general.

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Brute Fist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 103

For example is pretty filthy, the 3d6+3" charge makes the Brutefist charge far more likely to go off and combos fantastically with the +2 attacks from the big G. Potentially replace the Weirdnob with a Fungoid to try and do it multiple times a game.

You know I’m really new to AoS and I only ever played a handful of games in 1st edition and only 1 in 2nd edition, but as far as I’m aware battleshock bombing is like... a real strategy to configure your army around. I’m pretty sure all manner of Aeldari are good at it. 

Do you think it would be feasible as a different kind of strategy to make an Ironjawz army based on making enemies break in the battleshock phase?

One thing that I am curious to see play out is how susceptible to Endless Spells Ironjawz are going to be.  The army generally does not usually play with a lot of wizards so that means dispels are going to be semi-rare.  In addition, we might be hesitant on our turns to use those casters spells to remove endless spells.

The other thing that is interesting is how most endless spells are going to interact with units on the board.  I have a feeling that a big tactic in this edition is going to be how you position the area of a unit to make it hard for endless spells to move over the unit with room to be placed.  The harder it is for an enemy to move an endless spell over a unit the better.

This is probably going to be a disadvantage for low model count elite units.  Whether this ends up being a big deal or not remains to be seen, but I am interested to see how that shakes out.

Yesterday i played cool game vs tzeentch. I forgot about +1 charge after 2 month break, but it's was good any way.

Realm: HYSH, THE REALM OF LIGHT

Hysh command ability just awesome with Aetherquartz Brooch (Each time you spend a command point, roll a dice. On a 5+ you receive 1 command point.)! I started with 2 CP and restored 3 points before turn 3 start! It's was just wow!

I got first turn and used Gordrakk command ability on Gorefist. My main GG squad just move 33" and 12" charge LoC bypassing screen. With full buff it's was just wow! LoC left at 5 wounds and 1 destroed 1 unit of acolytes. Second GG unit killed 1 more unit of acolytes. Gordrakk roll 8 on charge and yes.... i forgot about +1 for him and third unit of GG and they dont charged....

Second part of first battle round. Tzeentch summoned 2 endless spell (Maw and moving wall) and moved it in my Gordrakk, warboss and last unit of GG. I lost 1 GG after it. All rest magic was focused in my GG unit so they just die :D

I got first turn in second battle round and charged with Goddrak and rest for GG. With warboss waagh they killed Kairos, LoC and Tzaangor Shaman :D On table left 1 pack of acolytes, 5 skyfires and gaunt summoner. It's as enough to kill all GG and finish Gordrakk.

We finished game after start of turn 3 with IJ-7:Tzeentch-4 score after i found my fail with +1 charge :D

Summary:

I dont will take mages vs tzeench or death from now. It's just gift for them, because we don't have powerful boost to cast and unbind. Foot of gork still can make some damage, but i did not see less 10 on enemy unbind rolls yesterday (watched game tzeench vs death and played vs tzeench). Arcane bolt and mystic shield are trash now :D

I will take 1-2 artillery next time and will split GG units like this: 6-6-3 or 6-6-6.

If you playing with Lens of Refraction be ready to get many damage from endless spells, because you need to stay close to hero with artefact! 

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Allies
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
9 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (420)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Units
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

Battalions
Gorefist (190)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 220 / 400
Wounds: 120

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Gaunt Summoner (180)
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
Kairos Fateweaver (380)
Lord Of Change (380)

Battleline
10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

Units
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (440)

Total: 1800 + 190 (endless spells) / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 93

• Like 2

I keep thinking that the Emerald Lifeswarm might be useful... Healing a MK or replanishing dead brutes can be really handy.

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Spellmirror 
- Allies
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 111

I have a casual tournament this weekend in my community. Everyone is just bringing something down to see how the new edition is going to play out. Here's what I'm bringing:

LEADERS Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440) - General - Command Trait : Brutish Cunning - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
Orruk Warchanter (80) - Artefact : The Golden Toof Orruk
Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warboss (140) - Boss Choppas - Allies
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80) - Allies

UNITS
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - 1 x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180) - 1 x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

BATTALIONS Ironfist (180)
TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA
COMMAND POINTS: 1
WOUNDS: 136

On 7/4/2018 at 7:40 AM, Imperial said:

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Allies

Are you allowed to give allies artefacts, is this a malign portnets rule only? Can someone point me in the direction of the rules as I'd love to have the fungoid rocking a miasmatic blade in my ironjawz. CHeers

13 minutes ago, To1v1 said:

Are you allowed to give allies artefacts, is this a malign portnets rule only? Can someone point me in the direction of the rules as I'd love to have the fungoid rocking a miasmatic blade in my ironjawz. CHeers

Honestly we don't know.

We know allies can't have allegiance specific artefacts but up till this point we haven't had access to none allegiance based choices.

Hopefully it will be in the faq soon. Would be such a massive boon if the realm artefacts could go on allies.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Would be such a massive boon if the realm artefacts could go on allies.

Yeah it would!! -3 to hit the little fella with shooting attacks if he's near a unit, plus his 5+ shrug. Quite sturdy for a grot! 

Hey everyone. I'm new to IJ and I'm looking for something relatively competitive, at least at a local level but wanted to get opinions on a rough list before I start buying models. I definitely want to run brutes primarily, but not completely opposed to one or two units of 10-20 ard'boys and I like the idea of having 1-2 units of gruntas for harassing shooting/wizard units...unless of course they aren't that great, I have no idea.

Here's what I've put together so far:

Ironjawz Allegiance:
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha
Megaboss on foot
Weirdknob Shaman
Warchanter
Wurrgog Prophet

3x5 Brutes
2x3 Gore Gruntas

Ironfist

Chronomatic Cogs

Not sure on what to do for traits or artefacts. Having only 1 wizard this edition is scary however, but I'm not sure how much they rely on them compared to other armies so that's why I thew in a Wurrgog unless another is better (maybe cave shaman+balewind for weirdknob?). Also, not sure if you need two Megabosses considering command abilities can be used as long as you have multiple cp unless it states otherwise in the faq/the ability reads a certain way? 

Thoughts? Trying to go for a msu approach and get all that free movement to get in asap and kill before too many obj points are nabbed up, but welcome to any and all suggestions as I have no idea how to properly play IJ compared to Skaven and Nighthaunt.

Hi fellow mega bosses,

I have my first real AoS 2 battle planed for this weekend, heres the list I am planning on taking  

Ironjawz

Leaders:

MBMK (440) Ironclad + Gryph-feather charm

Footboss (140) Metalrippers claw

Warchanter (80) Boss skewer 

Moonclan grot shammy (not fungoid, so I get 1/6 chance of +2 to cast) (80)

Units

3x Gore-gruntas (140) Pig iron choppas 

5x Brutes (180)

5x Brutes (180)

10x Ardboyz (160) (all big choppas)

Battalions

Ironfist (180)

Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless spells

Chronomantic cogs (60)

Total 1900 points

Command points =4

My thoughts here are that pre-turn I will be on 4 command points, then turn 1 (I will 2  drop and hope to go 2nd for double turn) will be positioning and using the speedy pigs to block any annoying charges or movement shenanigans. Then turn 2 = six command points to melt face (these could if needed due to enemy shielding be split over two turns). This list is obviously not going to hold objectives, I am going for all out destruction, shame I couldn't fit the 3rd unit of brutes in and come under 1900. What are your thoughts, 100 points down, am I weak?

Edited by Lord_Cabbage

1 hour ago, Lord_Cabbage said:

Hi fellow mega bosses,

I have my first real AoS 2 battle planed for this weekend, heres the list I am planning on taking  

Ironjawz

Leaders:

Units

5x Brutes (180)

5x Brutes (180)

Battalions

Ironfist (180)

Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless spells

Chronomantic cogs (60)

Total 1900 points

Command points =4

My thoughts here are that pre-turn I will be on 4 command points, then turn 1 (I will 2  drop and hope to go 2nd for double turn) will be positioning and using the speedy pigs to block any annoying charges or movement shenanigans. Then turn 2 = six command points to melt face (these could if needed due to enemy shielding be split over two turns). This list is obviously not going to hold objectives, I am going for all out destruction, shame I couldn't fit the 3rd unit of brutes in and come under 1900. What are your thoughts, 100 points down, am I weak?

You could add ironskulls boys for  80 points and maybe another endless spell worth 20.

I was wondering if the endless spells and battalions count as units, since the rules states you get an extra command point for every 50 points not spend on units. In your case that yould mean you'd get 7 extra command points since you spend 300 on battalions and 60(or 80) on endless spells

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Warfiend said:

You could add ironskulls boys for  80 points and maybe another endless spell worth 20.

I was wondering if the endless spells and battalions count as units, since the rules states you get an extra command point for every 50 points not spend on units. In your case that yould mean you'd get 7 extra command points since you spend 300 on battalions and 60(or 80) on endless spells

There was an FAQ that clarified this. They still count as "units" for that purpose, otherwise everyone would be doing just that and have an absurd amount of CP' s. 

4 hours ago, Lord_Cabbage said:

Hi fellow mega bosses,

Ironjawz

Leaders:

Units

5x Brutes (180)

5x Brutes (180)

Battalions

Ironfist (180)

Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless spells

Chronomantic cogs (60)

Total 1900 points

Command points =4

Very similar to what I Ve tought:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 10x Big Choppas

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (120)
Ironfist (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 119

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Lord_Cabbage

I ran that list on release day, only difference was I had a weirdnob instead of the grot, but I do think grot is better. I think you will enjoy it. I played it just how you laid it out and it worked incredibly well. If you pick your targets right you will start a smashing and bashing avalanche. Make sure you set up your grot out of range of any dispellers, the cogs going off is critical. 

• Thanks 1