Will they retire any night haunt units,

:(LFirstly let me apologise for not knowing the names all the new units however i just wanted to put the question forward.

So tallying up all the new night haunt releases ive suddenly realised that nighthaunt has gone from one of the smallest factions to one of the largest(up there with stormcast and bloodbound) as it will have all the old.plus the new models.

So far there will be:

Heros:

Mortarch of grief

2 names characters

3 support/wizard heros

Knight of shrouds mounted and not

Cairn wraith

Banshee

Any im forgetting?

Troops

Chain rasps

Glaive stalkers

Grimghasts reapers

Spirit hosts

Hexwraiths

New Black coach

Plus atleast one new unit.(the unit that looks like mini versions of the mortarch)

Thats alot of units straight of the bat!!

So do people think that all the old models will be kept in play and be viable? As i feel like the cairn wraith will look a little . . . . .featureless now.

On a side note im so happy i can have some more nighthaunt units however im also sad because i collected nighthaunt theme army "before they were cool" no everyone will have them ?

There are other factions that have more choices, but you’re right they have a seriously reasonable army available to them without needing to use non-Nighthaunt units in the army

This is what I’ve seen so far and what is currently available in Faction:

LEADERS:

Lady Olynder, Mortarch Of Grief

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King

One more Named Hero (Not identified)

Guardian of Souls

Lord Executioner

Spirit Torment

Tomb Banshee

Cairn Wraith

Knight of Shrouds

Knight of Shrouds on Mount

HERO BUT NOT LEADER

Black Coach

BATTLELINE / Assumed Battleline

Hexwraith

Spirit Hosts

Chainrasp Horde

OTHERS: (Unknown Battle role)

Glaivewraith Stalkers

Grimghast Reapers

Myrnmourn Banshees

FORGEWORLD

Mourngul

From warhammer fest photos there's another 2 heroes, one with double handed axe and one with big hourglass (possible alternate multi-option kit for starter set heroes?) as well as a new cavalry nighthaunt unit as well.

4 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

From warhammer fest photos there's another 2 heroes, one with double handed axe and one with big hourglass (possible alternate multi-option kit for starter set heroes?) as well as a new cavalry nighthaunt unit as well.

The hourglass is part of the Mortarch.

5 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

There are other factions that have more choices, but you’re right they have a seriously reasonable army available to them without needing to use non-Nighthaunt units in the army

This is what I’ve seen so far and what is currently available in Faction:

LEADERS:

Lady Olynder, Mortarch Of Grief

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King

One more Named Hero (Not identified)

Guardian of Souls

Lord Executioner

Spirit Torment

Tomb Banshee

Cairn Wraith

Knight of Shrouds

Knight of Shrouds on Mount

HERO BUT NOT LEADER

Black Coach

BATTLELINE / Assumed Battleline

Hexwraith

Spirit Hosts

Chainrasp Horde

OTHERS: (Unknown Battle role)

Glaivewraith Stalkers

Grimghast Reapers

Myrnmourn Banshees

FORGEWORLD

Mourngul

There is also the sickle wielding banshees, new cavalry, and the ghost the looks like he has twin flails.

rQrQz0d.jpg

Guy+with+two+bricks.png

32472076_10211545618571893_5060297349654

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

The hourglass is part of the Mortarch.

There is also the sickle wielding banshees, new cavalry, and the ghost the looks like he has twin flails.

Guy+with+two+bricks.png

There's a variant of the Guardian of Souls that has a big vase/urn thing instead of a staff, possibly that's what is being referred to.

The ghost with the twins flails looks like it might be a mainstream character pack variant of the starter set Spirit Torment.

I don't think anything is being retired. All current nighthaunt units appeared in the WD battle report under their current names. It is a little odd as the cairn wraith does look a bit plain even compared to the  grimghast reapers.

I wouldn't put it past the older plastic characters to be phased out once stock is run down. The banshee and wraith are going to be pretty expensive in comparison to the new kits and lots of people make them from spares from the start collecting sets.

I doubt they will vanish anytime soon, especially if people are not buying them. But with the shear amount of new characters, boxsets and cheap army deals thanks to an abundance of start collecting and core sets I don't see these individual models have much life left.

Surprised they didn't redo the start collecting sets like they did with necrons/dark eldar and stuck one or both into the start collecting sets.

19 minutes ago, Changer said:

I've also seen this image online for another unit.

P1320875.JPG

I took that as a variant unit/loadout of the Grimghast Reapers, probably from the eventual non-starter set version of the kit. Change out the blindfolds and scythes for iron masks and two-handed swords.

The mounted wraiths we saw at Warhammer Fest, the cool ones in AverageBoss's post, appear again on the main AoS website nighthaunt page, seemingly as individuals mixed in with a larger unit of hexwraiths. That, and the fact that there are only two of them, suggests that they might be characters. It'd bump the count up to eight non-special NH characters. Dang.

Why would they retire the old NH model range, the models look fine enough and are - afaik - the most up to date death range.

Cairn Wraith's warscroll is already most apealing, I hope they don't tweak anything with it. I also doubt that the cavalary are named / heroes, I think Hexwraiths could use more aesthetically pleasing  comrades.

The fanatic-ghost looks nice, we're probably seeing a really wide range with many unique models, which I really love. There's probably plenty options to play an NH army. But I definetely consider spirit hosts a part of it, since they're so nice for tieing  stuff up.

The only thing I'd like to see is more NH sorcerers. We just have 1 until now and with the new malign sorcery I would be a little disappointed if it stays that way. Probably the new Bishop model or the Mortarch of Grief can cast.

I'm also curious how they work out with LoN, since I'd love to mix some great monsters into the army. At least they're pictured along with Arkhan somewhere.

I don't see the Banshee or Cairn Wraith going away, but I do expect that at some point the model will be reworked.  Right now it still includes a square base on the sprue.  So it stands to reason that they would either rework the CG files into a different sprue layout and a round base or simply replace the sculpt entirely with a wholly new sculpt.

I expect all of the 8th edition plastic characters with scenic plastic bases will be tweaked in some way.

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I expect all of the 8th edition plastic characters with scenic plastic bases will be tweaked in some way.

The Magister for Disciples of a Tzeentch was converted to have a “mini-scenic addon” that could be glued on a 32mm base.

11 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The Magister for Disciples of a Tzeentch was converted to have a “mini-scenic addon” that could be glued on a 32mm base.

That is a good way to go about it.  I know that some others have not been swapped like that yet.  The Savage Orc Big Boss still has a square base and his toes are separate from his foot and part of the base.

50 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

That is a good way to go about it.  I know that some others have not been swapped like that yet.  The Savage Orc Big Boss still has a square base and his toes are separate from his foot and part of the base.

There's also weird ones that could easily be swapped. Like stormfiends.

The GHB 2018 leak show they definitely aren't retiring any of the existing Nighthaunt units. Model-wise, the old coach will almost certainly go (and good riddance imho) now there's a spectacular looking new one on the horizon, but I can't imagine anything else.

Archived