AoS 2.0 Winners and Losers

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I think that is offset by paying just 50 points for an extra command point.  I think that will be a discount beyond wherever the cost of battalions ends up and it will be a big consideration for every army - whether they have battalions or not.

But I could possibly be wrong .

nah, its not a level playing field. look at gordrakks command ability for a reason why. 50 spare points does not make up for that. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winners:  everyone getting new models and toys... Nighthaunt dominating this field, along with wizards.

Winners: everyone who likes fluff.  Putting fluff into rules on the field is good for fluff.

Losers: everyone above's wallet.

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

nah, its not a level playing field. look at gordrakks command ability for a reason why. 50 spare points does not make up for that. 

That is true, but some armies have battletomes and don’t have battalions or command abilities as good as that anyways.  Battalions are currently mainly used in very specific cases that I have seen.

Gordrakk is quite a specific case as well since his command ability applies to the entire grand alliance and most seem to be restricted to certain races or allegiances.  And even then I only really see people using the Gorefist battalion for Gordrakk.  I don’t really see that changing either until Destruction gets more battletomes and battalions.

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

That is true, but some armies have battletomes and don’t have battalions or command abilities as good as that anyways.  Battalions are currently mainly used in very specific cases that I have seen.

Gordrakk is quite a specific case as well since his command ability applies to the entire grand alliance and most seem to be restricted to certain races or allegiances.  And even then I only really see people using the Gorefist battalion for Gordrakk.  I don’t really see that changing either until Destruction gets more battletomes and battalions.

I think once people crunch the numbers or be one the receiving end of him in the new edition he will become rather popular. 

19 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I think once people crunch the numbers or be one the receiving end of him in the new edition he will become rather popular. 

People should like him now - he is awesome! The only reasons I could fathom to not like him is either because he costs a lot of points or because he is currently smashing your face in.

I think the  point reductions of all units are useless... if everything will be cheaper, then you could also say: let's play 2k and not 1.5k points; this would lead also to the effect that I could play more Kharadron ship XD

20 hours ago, Jamopower said:

I believe the command points open up quite many new combos. Especially with grand alliance lists. It'll just take few months to figure out. 

I am curious to see if gameplay changes to stockpile command points, blow it in one turn on awesome combos and whoever is left standing does some last minute objective grabs.

3 hours ago, Brightstar said:

I am curious to see if gameplay changes to stockpile command points, blow it in one turn on awesome combos and whoever is left standing does some last minute objective grabs.

From what the ironjawz  player on episode 4 of stormcast said that's pretty much how it will go down. Knowing when to hold em and when to blow em will be one of the things that separate the wheat from the chaff.

I think you will see a few lists that are built to try to go for one big turn, but most lists will use a variety of smaller combos over the course of the game.  My feeling is that for the most part the top players will be the ones that are able to squeeze the best bang for their buck from command points across a few key turns, know when to save them, and know when to spend.  I don’t think the top-table tactic will usually be to go all-in early and hope you can cripple someone enough that they cannot make a comeback, but I do think that will be a tactic in some cases.

I was reading over several warscrolls in the app recently and I think that a surprise winner may be Wanderers. Four of their five heroes have command abilities, and working in tandem you can make Wanderers units shoot and attack way above their weight level. 

55 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think you will see a few lists that are built to try to go for one big turn, but most lists will use a variety of smaller combos over the course of the game.  My feeling is that for the most part the top players will be the ones that are able to squeeze the best bang for their buck from command points across a few key turns, know when to save them, and know when to spend.  I don’t think the top-table tactic will usually be to go all-in early and hope you can cripple someone enough that they cannot make a comeback, but I do think that will be a tactic in some cases.

Agree except for destruction, who will need to charge asap, even turn 1, to smash face before the summoning happens.  

On 6/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, Ar-Pharazôn said:

I was reading over several warscrolls in the app recently and I think that a surprise winner may be Wanderers. Four of their five heroes have command abilities, and working in tandem you can make Wanderers units shoot and attack way above their weight level. 

The problem with wanderers is getting the command points, though I do like the idea of a nomad prince and waywatcher combo a -1 to hit bubble and reroll 1s to hit bubble

22 minutes ago, adreal said:

The problem with wanderers is getting the command points, though I do like the idea of a nomad prince and waywatcher combo a -1 to hit bubble and reroll 1s to hit bubble

Maybe you only do 1900/2000 to get those two extra? The potential combinations could be more worthwhile than the unit you're not taking. 

As said before its too early to tell, but my KO seem to have taken a hit from what's been previewed. Lots of modifiers to shooting, an endless spell that blocks shooting line of sight, and magic in general all have me concerned that running a pure ko force just won't be as fun. I feel like the changes were made for good reason though and I don't dread 2nd edition at all. 

On the upside the new starter looks amazing and sacrosanct is my next project for sure. I'll probably shelve my ko for now and work on ironjawz and storm cast next. Who knows after its all said and done ko may have another set of fun options ahead! 

5 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

WINNER: People with square bases

LOSER: The round base elitists

I though GW wasn’t returning to square bases unti AoS 3 or 4?  Or am I confusing their plans for hexagonal bases?

You know, one army no one ever really talks about taking it on the chin a bit is Sylvaneth. Currently they have no real command abilities except with some very pricey models. They have very few characters or heroes - most of which are weaker wizards - and their allegiant ability is a little lack luster compared to the new ones.

The kurnoth, by and large carry them, but the rest of the faction is on the weaker side. It was when it was first released. AOS 2 is amplifying that problem a bit.

So I think, without kurnoth, they are massive losers in the new edition so far. Could be wrong though.

4 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

I though GW wasn’t returning to square bases unti AoS 3 or 4?  Or am I confusing their plans for hexagonal bases?

4th edition will be trapezoids. You heard it here first.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:12 AM, SirPug said:

I think its way too early to tell. I think it will take atleast 3 months in the new edition to even start considering winners and losers.

But on a less serious note i think we players are the winners for getting so much new and exciting stuff to play with.

This is true for nuance, but you can get a general feel after an immediate drop. Some things are obviously strong, some are obviously weak. It takes time to work out combos, and a good combo can elevate an army, but something like free summoning is just obviously extremely good for the armies that get it, and they still have combos to work with themselves.

On 6/1/2018 at 4:52 AM, Jamopower said:

To be honest, I have seen very little actual whining regarding the topic. More of things like:

-This is stupid

-No it's not, you're stupid

-No you're stupid

Ther's a bunch of whining, but it's in a way that's going "Anyone who's worried and voices it are dumb" which, uh, is a generally supported position from on top and so gets more a pass unless it's very egregious.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:54 AM, Jamopower said:

I don't in fact believe that the magic will be the key deciding factor in the new edition. With the basic rules, it looks to be worse than before due to changes for the bolt and shield and increased range for unbinding. With malign sorcery it's of course a separate thing, but if you slap on an expansion focused on wacky stuff for wizards, it would be quite of a failed expansion if it didn't make the wizards good and worth fielding.

The look out sir and changes to shooting will change the balance a bit though. The wizards and buffing characters are harder to take out with shooting, thus the value of wizards gets higher as they are better protected and they are better at taking out the enemy characters than shooting.

The main deal is that what they revealed so far really benefits the armies that go all in for magic. Tzeentch and LoN are the two that come to mind. If you only have one or two wizards and/or your army lacks an interesting spell list, then minor magic defense can stop you. But now LoN and Tzeentch are just going to be even more oppressive, their ability to shut down magic far outstrips anyone else's and they gain significant bonuses to casting that are hard to overcome even when you have more chances to dispel.

5 hours ago, Brightstar said:

You know, one army no one ever really talks about taking it on the chin a bit is Sylvaneth. Currently they have no real command abilities except with some very pricey models. They have very few characters or heroes - most of which are weaker wizards - and their allegiant ability is a little lack luster compared to the new ones.

The kurnoth, by and large carry them, but the rest of the faction is on the weaker side. It was when it was first released. AOS 2 is amplifying that problem a bit.

So I think, without kurnoth, they are massive losers in the new edition so far. Could be wrong though.

They won't really be any more a loser than they were in GHB2017, which knocked them out of the top armies. But there's still good ways to play them. Gnarlroot is still a thing, and has never really relied on kurnouths

3 hours ago, Requete said:

4th edition will be trapezoids. You heard it here first.

Nah, dude, 4th will be played without any bases - or was the the plan for 5th Ed?! Can't remember the edition, but the one, where you are requierd to build in animatronics provided by ILM in oder to play an legal army.

Archived