Your Faction Ideas?

Not exactly new but...

- Hosts of Slaanesh taking the 'Mad Max' approach. All chariots, mobile warshrines, hellstriders, outriders, war-wagons, flying/winged scouts (maybe attached to war-kites?).

- Some sort of faction to pull together the metal-y elements of the old Ogre Kingdoms. So that's leadbelchers and the leadblaster but also a scrap-based bits of the Gnoblars, adding in the possibility of having an unusually cunning Gnoblar leading the force. Some sort of vaguely sapper-ish unit of ogres with hooks and chains and harpoon-launchers for taking apart fortifications or bringing down Kharadron airships. 

Add in Firebellies as priests, someone like Greasus (but a good sculpt this time) as a leader, maybe take some of the aspects of the old Chaos Dwarfs (slaves, hierarchies, maybe masks) and make it cruder. Fat grinning ironmongers, smith-lords and nomadic rag-and-bone men to the forces of Destruction. "Oh you can knock that dent out warboss, no mistake". A faction of Del Boys, the ones who pick over the cities ravaged by other hordes and make a tidy profit. Call them Furnace Kings or something better.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Did I step back into Fantasy? I thought this was AoS. Most of those seem like they have already been done or been heavily part of AoS forever. I can't say I agree with much on this list. I want to break with the past as much as we possibly can. 

Well i don’t really see, why aos shouldn’t have any kind of connection to the old world.

afterall something like this would either mean a total renewing of the old world fluff or just whole army’s vanishing to oblivion.

and from my perspective, this is probably something nobody wants to happen.

aos would be a very boring game with only Ironjaws Beastclaw raiders, Everchosen, Stormcast eternals Deepkins and Sylvaneth existing.

13 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Did I step back into Fantasy? I thought this was AoS. Most of those seem like they have already been done or been heavily part of AoS forever. I can't say I agree with much on this list. I want to break with the past as much as we possibly can. 

Really? Of that list skeletons have been done as Khemri but not as a full army with the AOS aesthetic, and you can't really have undead. Wood Elves, Greenskinz and Ogres all existed already, as did beastmen and skaven, but all of those have been firmly established as part of the AOS background through the novels and flavour texts. Everchosen, Ironjawz and Pestillens have battletomes which pre-date the new model and are badly in need of an update to bring them into line, especially since one is a GA flagship faction and another is the Big Bad of the setting. Of the others, that's 14 out of 22 that have never existed as a fully fledged faction in AOS or WFB.

Personally I'd like to see GW do a lot more "daughters of khaine/sylvaneth/nighthaunt" style updates where they develop and upgrade the bits they've kept to bring them into line with AOS and establish them properly in the setting. Otherwise they'll always just feel bolted onto the setting rather than being a part of it.

Its pretty clear we're getting tons of new stuff. In only two years from now we could be looking at up to 8 more factions. We don't have the room for all those micro fantasy factions not to mention they have to be completely updated if brought into the AoS fold proper which prevents GW from making newer cooler armies which fit the aesthetic better. I'm not saying none should come over, but they should definitely be a lot more picky going forward. I imagine some retcons are going to have to happen to as its inevitable at this point. I want AoS to be its own unique thing that keeps as much distance as it can from fantasy and stands on its won merits and creativity. Every time I see an updated faction come out my eyes glaze over a little. 

5 minutes ago, AGPO said:

Really? Of that list skeletons have been done as Khemri but not as a full army with the AOS aesthetic, and you can't really have undead. Wood Elves, Greenskinz and Ogres all existed already, as did beastmen and skaven, but all of those have been firmly established as part of the AOS background through the novels and flavour texts. Everchosen, Ironjawz and Pestillens have battletomes which pre-date the new model and are badly in need of an update to bring them into line, especially since one is a GA flagship faction and another is the Big Bad of the setting. Of the others, that's 14 out of 22 that have never existed as a fully fledged faction in AOS or WFB.

Personally I'd like to see GW do a lot more "daughters of khaine/sylvaneth/nighthaunt" style updates where they develop and upgrade the bits they've kept to bring them into line with AOS and establish them properly in the setting. Otherwise they'll always just feel bolted onto the setting rather than being a part of it.

Okay of those listed these are okay. The undead ones. Free cities melting pot also fine. Hysh and Ulgu elves obviously. Greenskiz okay. Skaven. Slaanesh because obviously. 

Maybe: Gargant depending on how they do it. 

Everything else is way too boring and generic enough GW didn't even want to do it back in the days of fantasy. I mean what are hobgoblin khan except more fancier ork cavalry? I'm not against adding in new ork factions, but you need to make them more interesting than that. Destruction right now is pretty boring. Everything in it is an ork or an ogre. Not to mention they all read the same in the codexes and all seem very boring. They roam the lands in stupid little tribes being an NPC faction poking people so cool people can kill them. That's it. They need something really new to invigorate their GA a lot. 

Glad to have you here to confirm which subjective opinions are fine. ;)

All of AOS, with the exception of Idoneth, is derivative of WFB and wider fantasy tropes to some extent.  Of the armies that have battletomes:

• Stormcast were widely derided as "Sigmarines" and do bare many similarities with 40k Space Marines. Chosen divine warriors are nothing new;
  • Bloodbound have the same aesthetic hooks that Khorne armies have had since the realm of chaos and played off the shirtless barbarian archetype for reavers;
  • Pestillens were a direct port from WFB, fluff and all;
  • Fyreslayers kept the orange mohawk, semi-naked berzerker aesthetic from the dwarf slayers;
  • Everchosen only have three units. Two of them are a special character and his retinue from WFB;
  • Karadrons draw heavily on the engineer's guild and gold lust aspects of the WFB dwarfs and combine it with a healthy dose of steampunk;
  • Ironjaws are essentially WFB black orcs, just bigger. Boar cavalry and wyverns have been orc staples since 3rd edition.
  • Disciples of Tzeentch is very fresh minis wise and added some original units like Gaunt Summoners and Ogroid Thaumaturges, but Tzaangor, discs and the magical cultist angle date back to the 1980s and Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness. The Silver Tower is the name of Engrim van Hostmann's labyrinthine fortress. He was the head of a hidden cabal  of Tzeentchian sorcerers in WFB;
  • Maggotkin of Nurgle owe all their visual ties to the Lost and the Damned, again published in the eighties;
  • Sylvaneth take half their range from the old Wood Elves and are led by a WFB special character;
  • Beastclaw Raiders are based entirely on a WFB range;
  • Flesh Eater Courts are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Seraphon are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Legions of Nagash are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Daughters of Khaine again are based around witch elves from WFB, with the three new boxes being takes on classical tropes such as gorgons and harpies and of course, a WFB special character;
  • All three daemon armies are identical to WFB and 40k.

So if we chuck out everything connected to WFB, we're left with stormcast, idoneth and arguably some of tzeentch and karadrons. Maybe not the clean break you're looking for?

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Not exactly new but...

- Hosts of Slaanesh taking the 'Mad Max' approach. All chariots, mobile warshrines, hellstriders, outriders, war-wagons, flying/winged scouts (maybe attached to war-kites?).

- Some sort of faction to pull together the metal-y elements of the old Ogre Kingdoms. So that's leadbelchers and the leadblaster but also a scrap-based bits of the Gnoblars, adding in the possibility of having an unusually cunning Gnoblar leading the force. Some sort of vaguely sapper-ish unit of ogres with hooks and chains and harpoon-launchers for taking apart fortifications or bringing down Kharadron airships. 

Add in Firebellies as priests, someone like Greasus (but a good sculpt this time) as a leader, maybe take some of the aspects of the old Chaos Dwarfs (slaves, hierarchies, maybe masks) and make it cruder. Fat grinning ironmongers, smith-lords and nomadic rag-and-bone men to the forces of Destruction. "Oh you can knock that dent out warboss, no mistake". A faction of Del Boys, the ones who pick over the cities ravaged by other hordes and make a tidy profit. Call them Furnace Kings or something better.

That sounds like an awesome name, I wanna see more of it. Maybe if you have the time you could convert this stuff and create a forum here?

Nice topic idea  @Johhny The Squid :D

• First, I would love to see a Goblin/green skinz skypirates faction.  With a range with flying transports and flying artillery like the Kharadrons.
  • Fellwater as a raiding faction compose with newt-like people as battleline, fellwater troggoths, plastic troll hag and maybe some anglerfish riders (or alligator-like creature). It also could be a nice faction to bring back fimirs.
  • I also have been thinking of a reanimated/construct Death faction with a TK vibe.

Just yesterday I was actually working on the concept sheets of the 'Crystal Duardin' and the 'Zkyriggerz'!  I may post them if I fully complete them.

But I actually have a bit of a big problem.  The Crystal Dwarves, as I wrote them, are a bit like the Kharadron Overlords.  They're both factions more advanced than other factions, albeit in different aspects, with a designed 'Armor Galore' look.  Though I did base the Crystal Dwarves off of an element, I'd say the more important thing when making a Custom Faction is its race.  Namely, how is it different and unique from other factions of the same race?  Right now, Fyreslayers are based off of the Slayers and Martial Prowess that the Dwarves had - they feel like Dwarvish versions of Barbarian Archetypes.  Kharadron Overlords, meanwhile, convey that technological aspect of the Dwarves.  But the Crystal Dwarves do the same thing, so I don't see much reason to continue them further.  I do like the 'Ancestral Dispossed' ideas, as it's directly based off of concepts of Dwarven Ancestry and Epic Stonework.  That's some basics we all know about the Dwarves, and it makes for a good faction basis.

Meanwhile, I've... actually had a similar problem with my 'Zkyriggerz'.  They're those Grot Sky Pirates everyone is in love with.  What's their deal?  Well, they're sky pirates, and they ride around on giant vespoids, with different variations doing different roles.  They also have a good number of War Machines, including a few small ones whose sole purpose is to explode.  But those wasps, while I love the concept, is very similar to the Spiderfang Grots, especially seeing how both have a poisoned attack that could deal mortal wounds.  It's not the whole faction, thank goodness, because there's interplay with the War Machines and the faction's other units, but it still cuts a bit too much from the same cloth.

1 hour ago, HiddenElephant said:

Just yesterday I was actually working on the concept sheets of the 'Crystal Duardin' and the 'Zkyriggerz'!  I may post them if I fully complete them.

But I actually have a bit of a big problem.  The Crystal Dwarves, as I wrote them, are a bit like the Kharadron Overlords.  They're both factions more advanced than other factions, albeit in different aspects, with a designed 'Armor Galore' look.  Though I did base the Crystal Dwarves off of an element, I'd say the more important thing when making a Custom Faction is its race.  Namely, how is it different and unique from other factions of the same race?  Right now, Fyreslayers are based off of the Slayers and Martial Prowess that the Dwarves had - they feel like Dwarvish versions of Barbarian Archetypes.  Kharadron Overlords, meanwhile, convey that technological aspect of the Dwarves.  But the Crystal Dwarves do the same thing, so I don't see much reason to continue them further.  I do like the 'Ancestral Dispossed' ideas, as it's directly based off of concepts of Dwarven Ancestry and Epic Stonework.  That's some basics we all know about the Dwarves, and it makes for a good faction basis.

Meanwhile, I've... actually had a similar problem with my 'Zkyriggerz'.  They're those Grot Sky Pirates everyone is in love with.  What's their deal?  Well, they're sky pirates, and they ride around on giant vespoids, with different variations doing different roles.  They also have a good number of War Machines, including a few small ones whose sole purpose is to explode.  But those wasps, while I love the concept, is very similar to the Spiderfang Grots, especially seeing how both have a poisoned attack that could deal mortal wounds.  It's not the whole faction, thank goodness, because there's interplay with the War Machines and the faction's other units, but it still cuts a bit too much from the same cloth.

The zkyriggers sound pretty awesome, but even if they weren’t  similar to the Grot sky pirates, where would you get the wasps?

I have an idea for a Destruction army but its pretty hard to say if its executable in model form. I think Djinn and Efreets are rarely touched upon in Warhammer as a whole. In 1001 Arabian Nights, Djinn tended to vary between reliable wish-granting servants to straight-up psychos. So my idea is pretty simple, its basically fantasy Necrons with a touch of Mechanicum.

Djinn and Efreet are entities born out of "Smokeless Fire" and have no form unless they are tethered to Metallic Vessels. So lets say some unsuspecting human civilization tries to harness the power of these entities but are tricked into creating Humanoid Automata clockwork bodies to reside in. Alas, instead of serving their human benefactors, they get overthrown and wiped out and now work towards a plan to elevate their existence where they can exist in the Mortal Realms without the use of  their Automata. The Automata would be styled like a Clockwork army with some middle eastern stylings. Think the Al Jazari stuff like robot servants, a Elephant  shaped Automata clock...etc. Would make for some interesting designs.

Let's say they exist in the Realm of Chamon, and they raid and pillage Order civilizations to enslave the people to build and maintain their Automata bodies. And because they are still magical in nature, they have access to the Lores of Magic. When a Djinn or Efreet is able to amass more power (how, I dunno), they are able to manifest in the Mortal Realms similar to Demons. I would liken these forms to the Necrons own C'Tan units. Their main beef with Order is that they want to manifest in the Mortal Realms, Chaos don't like them because they are seen as unaligned Demons of some sort, Death find them to be an afront because when Djinn "die", Nagash has no soul to show for it. 

7 hours ago, AGPO said:

Glad to have you here to confirm which subjective opinions are fine. ;)

All of AOS, with the exception of Idoneth, is derivative of WFB and wider fantasy tropes to some extent.  Of the armies that have battletomes:

• Stormcast were widely derided as "Sigmarines" and do bare many similarities with 40k Space Marines. Chosen divine warriors are nothing new;
  • Bloodbound have the same aesthetic hooks that Khorne armies have had since the realm of chaos and played off the shirtless barbarian archetype for reavers;
  • Pestillens were a direct port from WFB, fluff and all;
  • Fyreslayers kept the orange mohawk, semi-naked berzerker aesthetic from the dwarf slayers;
  • Everchosen only have three units. Two of them are a special character and his retinue from WFB;
  • Karadrons draw heavily on the engineer's guild and gold lust aspects of the WFB dwarfs and combine it with a healthy dose of steampunk;
  • Ironjaws are essentially WFB black orcs, just bigger. Boar cavalry and wyverns have been orc staples since 3rd edition.
  • Disciples of Tzeentch is very fresh minis wise and added some original units like Gaunt Summoners and Ogroid Thaumaturges, but Tzaangor, discs and the magical cultist angle date back to the 1980s and Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness. The Silver Tower is the name of Engrim van Hostmann's labyrinthine fortress. He was the head of a hidden cabal  of Tzeentchian sorcerers in WFB;
  • Maggotkin of Nurgle owe all their visual ties to the Lost and the Damned, again published in the eighties;
  • Sylvaneth take half their range from the old Wood Elves and are led by a WFB special character;
  • Beastclaw Raiders are based entirely on a WFB range;
  • Flesh Eater Courts are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Seraphon are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Legions of Nagash are based entirely on a WFB range, led by a WFB special character;
  • Daughters of Khaine again are based around witch elves from WFB, with the three new boxes being takes on classical tropes such as gorgons and harpies and of course, a WFB special character;
  • All three daemon armies are identical to WFB and 40k.

So if we chuck out everything connected to WFB, we're left with stormcast, idoneth and arguably some of tzeentch and karadrons. Maybe not the clean break you're looking for?

Wow putting words in my mouth. Did I ever say I wanted all the old factions gone? Nope. Just most of the factions he listed that should all be brought in before more important things get done. What at all does that have to do with a good chunk of the fantasy range being too samey and uninspired to be brought into Sigmar in my opinion. Most of the interesting models and armies have been brought over that fit the setting. Its hitting increasingly poor diminishing returns now in terms of cost to bring and update every faction and even create old ones that never existed form the past. There is so much old stuff because people can't let go and just make new armies and yes it angers me. I see the pure creativity of the KO and ID then look at most of the other stuff and shake my head. Its just updates of all of it, but that's a separate debate. We go enough old ******. In my opinion too much but many disagree. I want to see completely new factions and characters now since well over 80% is derivative. Heck they are even bringing back tons and tons of old characters I as a new fan don't care about form fantasy and you need to delve into tomes of tansy lore to know. Its a huge turn off to new players to the AoS setting if more and more fantasy material becomes mandatory. 

1 minute ago, Badlander86 said:

I have an idea for a Destruction army but its pretty hard to say if its executable in model form. I think Djinn and Efreets are rarely touched upon in Warhammer as a whole. In 1001 Arabian Nights, Djinn tended to vary between reliable wish-granting servants to straight-up psychos. So my idea is pretty simple, its basically fantasy Necrons with a touch of Mechanicum.

Djinn and Efreet are entities born out of "Smokeless Fire" and have no form unless they are tethered to Metallic Vessels. So lets say some unsuspecting human civilization tries to harness the power of these entities but are tricked into creating Humanoid Automata clockwork bodies to reside in. Alas, instead of serving their human benefactors, they get overthrown and wiped out and now work towards a plan to elevate their existence where they can exist in the Mortal Realms without the use of  their Automata. The Automata would be styled like a Clockwork army with some middle eastern stylings. Think the Al Jazari stuff like robot servants, a Elephant  shaped Automata clock...etc. Would make for some interesting designs.

Let's say they exist in the Realm of Chamon, and they raid and pillage Order civilizations to enslave the people to build and maintain their Automata bodies. And because they are still magical in nature, they have access to the Lores of Magic. When a Djinn or Efreet is able to amass more power (how, I dunno), they are able to manifest in the Mortal Realms similar to Demons. I would liken these forms to the Necrons own C'Tan units. Their main beef with Order is that they want to manifest in the Mortal Realms, Chaos don't like them because they are seen as unaligned Demons of some sort, Death find them to be an afront because when Djinn "die", Nagash has no soul to show for it. 

I have Djinn in my faction The Sultan's Fleet, it's hard to figure out how to make them model wise but I have an Idea regarding the flaming parts from discs of tzeentch, whatever model you plan on using as the base, and some greenstuff.

9 minutes ago, Badlander86 said:

I would very much like to see this faction, what are you thinking of calling it? for models you could use a mixture of ad mech and necron bits with green stuff add ons!

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I want more giant bugs.  I don’t care what army gets them - I just want colossal insect monsters.

I like Hidden Elephants Grot army The ZkyRiggerz, for the bugs he could convert tyranids and some of gurgles demons for some great calvary. Also they don't sound like the Grotbag Scuttlers( the sky pirates people have been complaining about not seeing since KO was released), if anything the name might confuse people that's all. I also like his Idea for the Furnace Kings(ogre's with a bit a chaos dwarf hierarchy and are blacksmiths) if you do decide to work on it man, maybe they could be arch rivals with all guardian over who's work is better?

Edit: I just realized that Sandlemad was the one who made the Furnace Kings, I am so sorry dude(or dudette).

A more frankenstein-esque death faction of mortal scientists who experiment with all types of techno-arcane/lightning/radiation knowledge to resurrect zombies and to turn their enemies into fresh corpses to experiment on. 

A group of white lab coat wearing lunatics who worship Nagash, but don't have any innate magic capabilities and have an unhealthy obsession with extending life into undeath.... Committing all sorts of atrocities against order by resurrecting basically anything they can get their hands on and turning them into giant flesh golems. 

Giant horse drawn warmachines/lightning cannons that shoot into the enemy fighting against zombies, who've got lightning conductors strapped to their backs to only make matters worse for the enemy! All while that lightning jolts the defeated zombies back into unlife of course...

Mortars that lob radiactive lodestone projectiles that linger for many turns on the battlefield and leave your zombies mildly affected while the living crumble under the fall-out!

Giant zombie bears filled with explosives in their guts that perform suicidal runs against the enemy elites and can be blown to bits when the enemy might get the upper hand in that combat. 

You know... something so every Grand alliance can get a "weird technology" race (like Skryre or KO). 

16 minutes ago, Elmir said:

A more frankenstein-esque death faction of mortal scientists who experiment with all types of techno-arcane/lightning/radiation knowledge to resurrect zombies and to turn their enemies into fresh corpses to experiment on. 

And group of white lab coat wearing lunatics who worship Nagash, but don't have any innate magic capabilties and have an unhealthy obsession with extending life into undeath.... Commiting all sorts of atrocities to order by resurrecting basically anything they can get their hands on and turning them into giant flesh golems. 

Giant horse drawn warmachines/lightning cannons that shoot into the enemy fighting against zombies who've got lightning conductors strapped to their backs to only make matters worse for the enemy! All while that lightning jolts the defeated zombies back into unlife of course...

Mortars that lob radiactive lodestone projectile that linger for many turns onto the battlefield that leave your zombies mildly affected while the living crumble under the fall-out!

Giant zombie bears filled with explosives in their guts that perform suicidal runs again the enemy elites and can be blown to bits when the enemy might get the upper hand in that combat

You know... something so every Grand alliance can get a "weird technology" race (like Skryre or KO). 

Dude..... I Love this! death needs more factions and models and this takes the cake!

On 5/27/2018 at 10:31 PM, Johhny The Squid said:

Hi! I'm decently new to TGA, but from what I've seen, this place has a load of great ideas. So I thought this could maybe be a thread where you post ideas for new factions that you've had.

Some ideas I've had are;

-A race of Fishmen that could serve as rivals to the Idoneth.

-A Mongolian-Raider style Goblin/Hobgoblin faction.

-A technocrat faction in Chamon, with a massive obsession with Metal enhancements.

nice post...

for your second faction you might want to check out the original Chronicle range Citadel did scultped by nick lund :)

They're exactly this.  I've still got all of them as they were so awesome, and I loved that look and very gritty feel to them.

I I was going to create a new faction or suggest a new faction it would be a human faction.

I'd base it around the notion that they live in the realm of shadows.

Possibly linking them to the  dying embers of the world that was, the last of the bretonnians went to seek sanctuary amongst the dead cities and citadels of their fair land in an attempt to spare themselves from the slaughter wrought by the witch elves and beastmen upon them.

What they didn't realise was that the end times had inadvertently awakened a dormant realm gate and a life line was born - the humans on the other side where ancient ancestors of the bretonni and had not been seduced and fooled by the lie that was the lady.

The humans are different from freeguilders insofar that they are mystics rather than technologists.  They are more of a saxon / dark age look rather than high medieval and they put their faith in druids and ancient magics borne of the land itself.  They have standing stones and circles of power, and their allies are centaurs and mythic beasts.

They replace cannons and technology with summoned creatures and mighty war machines such as ballistae and trebuchets which can harness the magic of their druids to turn their ammunition onto blazing fireballs or sheets of sharp granite needles, or the peasant bowmen firing sheets of arrows which burst into flames in mid air or turn into strangling vines or serpents on contact.

Their druids could summon mists to slow down their enemies or create cloying bogs and swamps, and their lords could ride great dragons or hypogriphs into battle, and summoning mythical monsters to do their bidding.

The centaurs could be the ones who taught them the horse mastery of which their cousins were well known in the world that was, and they themselves could be allied since they hate chaos and the beastmen for the four legged abominations they have spawned.

There is very little new under the sun, but I would like a clockwork army from the Realm of Metal, created by a crazed megalomaniac wizard-engineer, kept alive by his arts beyond his normal span.  His aim? - to destroy the civilisations of the Realms and re-make them in his own glorious immortal image.

Archived