Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

How many people here have played with Malign Portent rules? There's a lot of extra rules in there- I'm playing my first game with those rules next week (was preparing for the LGT before that which didn't use the rules). I don't quite think of it as an AOS 2 preview, but it should give an idea of how AoS plays with a load of additional rules.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, hughwyeth said:

How many people here have played with Malign Portent rules? There's a lot of extra rules in there- I'm playing my first game with those rules next week (was preparing for the LGT before that which didn't use the rules). I don't quite think of it as an AOS 2 preview, but it should give an idea of how AoS plays with a load of additional rules.

I have played with them a couple of times and there was a bit of a slow down on what exactly to do with the new rules. But, it's also an expansion and wasn't used in every game. If the new stuff is part of the core rules and being used every game, it'll get easier as time goes on where one off narrative or other special rules are used sporadically and slow down their games everytime.

Just now, hughwyeth said:

I've done MalPo a few times.  I think it is a different flavour of more rules - more variable, more overhead, just plain more. 

From what we've seen in AoS2, once a realm is selected, you've basically got an extra spell and command trait to worry about (and maybe a board-wide terrain type effect).  In MalPo on top of the Shyish realm effects, including keeping a tally of killed units, you've got a running count of points to recalculate every turn, and a long list of abilities to choose from in varying phases for varying points.

12 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

This. 

Personally I'm torn on this:

• I don't like extra layers of rules that slow down the game (choosing stuff at the start of the game), or things that cause 'gotcha' moments where I failed to memorize every spell/ability available in every realm and causes me to lose. 
  • I want tome-less armies getting a level playing field where they have more options available to them, especially command abilities and battalions. 

I think Gee-Dubz have struck a balance here, as the realm rules don't look overly complicated or hard to remember or reference. Choosing spells slows it down briefly, but hopefully people will have an idea in mind what spells do what and the like. It eats into their own turn time at the end of the day.

i'm worried about the balancing in matched play for all these realms things. Like chooing your army realm is one thing, but then deciding which realm to play in can greatly increase the potential for one army, e.g if a KO army plays in Aqshy with the realmscape feature that increases missle weapons rend by -1 for shots more then 12 out" those guns will be deadly against say a khorne army with no shooting.

42 minutes ago, boots468 said:

Little disappointed they kept the Beastclaw 2+ to do 6 mortal wounds mechanic without altering it all - it's super tricky to give a points value accurately, and there's very little most armies can do to stop it just taking off a key support piece without any interaction at all.

Agreed that is very unbalanced. 

Speaking of Malign Portents, has it been mentioned if that book & cards are 2.0 compatible? Or is it another End Times where you are sold very nice gaming materials that the seller knew were going to be obsolete in a few month's time?

Not trying to sound negative, but it would be a shame to see that hoodwink repeated, especially since The New GW seems so much more customer-friendly.

2 minutes ago, the_prophecy said:

that...is....awesome... iam speechless. When i look at the shadows left and right iam even more sure this will be my next army

Looking at the shadows, I think they're definitely holding back on the best models for this faction. I've already got a lot of Nighthaunt, but I think I'll be get a completion with this faction with all the new stuff.

Looking at the silhouette of the mortarch of grief I am pretty sure those are banshees to either side of her. The one on the left as you look at the picture , is holding an hourglass which we saw in the reveal video.

edit- this one. You can see part of her cloak too.FD8E518B-C641-4C1C-8A5B-17A25ED41CF9.png.017fc54d22bae7c3372d70a72037e58c.png

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Looking at the silhouette of the mortarch of grief I am pretty sure those are banshees to either side of her. The one on the left as you look at the picture , is holding an hourglass which we saw in the reveal video.

That's the model I really want to see.

36 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Speaking of Malign Portents, has it been mentioned if that book & cards are 2.0 compatible? Or is it another End Times where you are sold very nice gaming materials that the seller knew were going to be obsolete in a few month's time?

Not trying to sound negative, but it would be a shame to see that hoodwink repeated, especially since The New GW seems so much more customer-friendly.

Why wouldn’t they be compatible? I don't remember all the abilities by heart, but if there is no massive surprises on the basic rules ahead, making them obsolete would also require making all the battletomes obsolete. 

We'll, any time there is a new edition of "Warhammer" all previous materials - with rare exceptions of some Army Books in the past - have automatically been incompatible by default.  You weren't using Arcane Magic in 7th,grade and you're not using End Times books in AoS. New games don't use stuff written for old games, not automatically at any rate.

Materials written and balanced under and for one set of rules are not done for future sets of rules. For this reason, btw, all existing FAQs are negated by a new edition (now, they can easily state that the old FAQs are still valid, but unless they do, they are not).

End Times rules could be adapted to AoS, just like MP can be adapted to 2.0, but without a statement from GW to the contrary, the reasonable stance is "old edition, old rules, not the same system, can't be used."

On the battletomes, you are correct, but I thought I read that they will be publishing a set of documents to bring the 1.0 battletomes into 2.0.  Patches, so to speak.

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

On the battletomes, you are correct, but I thought I read that they will be publishing a set of documents to bring the 1.0 battletomes into 2.0.  Patches, so to speak.

I believe I saw it in one of the focus/preview articles as a FAQ "released alongside the new edition".

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

We'll, any time there is a new edition of "Warhammer" all previous materials - with rare exceptions of some Army Books in the past - have automatically been incompatible by default.  You weren't using Arcane Magic in 7th,grade and you're not using End Times books in AoS. New games don't use stuff written for old games, not automatically at any rate.

Materials written and balanced under and for one set of rules are not done for future sets of rules. For this reason, btw, all existing FAQs are negated by a new edition (now, they can easily state that the old FAQs are still valid, but unless they do, they are not).

End Times rules could be adapted to AoS, just like MP can be adapted to 2.0, but without a statement from GW to the contrary, the reasonable stance is "old edition, old rules, not the same system, can't be used."

Almost everything between 6th and 8th edition Warhammer were more or less compatible, same goes for 3rd to 7th edition 40k and 4th and 5th edition Warhammer. Not perhaps officially, but still could be played without issues. Main compatibility issue was that the points cost were reduced by 10% in each edition, so the old codexes/armybooks were not very balanced with newer. 

Archived