Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

53 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

So you got the starter sets already alloted? Mind you, I am virtually positive the pre-order will open on june 2nd, just a day before the fiscal year ends.

yeah, they are kind of a claimed by long time players, they get the sets first.  And there is a limit of 1 per person, no idea how they deal with the two dudes that are brothers :D.

Why would they point units for rules coming months later when they knew they would be dropping a new GHB (and thus, new point lists) alongside those rules? 

Dont you need the actual books to play in events or stores? I mean otherwise no one would buy them and just download them. I thought they would put up something like X, Y and Z change from ed 1.0 . And scenarios, points etc would be in the actual rule book. Something like that.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Karol said:

Dont you need the actual books to play in events or stores? I mean otherwise no one would buy them and just download them. I thought they would put up something like X, Y and Z change from ed 1.0 . And scenarios, points etc would be in the actual rule book. Something like that.

Some stores are fine with the pdf version or even the AoS app, others even have books so the players can use them. It changes from store to store I suppose.

Since the core rules are free, the AoS 2.0 book could be a lot of new fluff, the new core rules and some scenarios, that could let space for the GH 2018 to come with the new points for everyone, new main scenarios and all the stuff that GH used to come with.

Later comes the magic book with all the new spells and mechanics.

That is how I think it will be at least.

3 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Posting an opinion once seems fine. Consistently posting toxicity doesn't help anyone, it only helps to make the forum a worse place. 

Agreed. It becomes obvious as well, that no matter the sub forum, you see bile-filled posts and negativity - then you notice the name is the same as all other instances. It's borderline trolling a that point. It also derails threads - as it is doing.

6 minutes ago, Dragobeth said:

Some stores are fine with the pdf version or even the AoS app, others even have books so the players can use them. It changes from store to store I suppose.

Since the core rules are free, the AoS 2.0 book could be a lot of new fluff, the new core rules and some scenarios, that could let space for the GH 2018 to come with the new points for everyone, new main scenarios and all the stuff that GH used to come with.

Later comes the magic book with all the new spells and mechanics.

That is how I think it will be at least.

On topic - with the launch of AoS2, I don't imagine a dearth of starter sets (and therefore rules) will be a problem. I fully expect a PDF (like the current core rules and the 40K primer) and the app to have the updated content too. The AoS2 book has been confirmed to be updated core rules, plus a roll up of existing fluff, new maps etc hasn't it? 

I imagine a following GHB18 (or perhaps a rebranding or whatever) will follow in due course, as you've said @Dragobeth

6 minutes ago, eciu said:

So a static "summoning" which will probably have it's cost included into Alarielle ? 

Or a Branchwrait, they can do this also. 

Note they mistakenly mention summoning a Treelord in the associated text on the community page, I guarantee they are already getting harassment about that on Facebook, poor community team ?

EDIT: Unless... actually i think i read that wrong, what they previewed is the tweaked branchwriath version, Alarielles spell may be unchagned?

EDIT EDIT: Ha, no that is Alasielles table, the Branchwraith gets something else.  Must read harder ?

3 minutes ago, eciu said:

AOSFFSylvaneth-May25-Amporae10tg.jpg

So a static "summoning" which will probably have it's cost included into Alarielle ? 

Can someone Mathammer out the points cost of those units?  Are they all pretty consistent?  (On my way to work...)

8 minutes ago, Deadkitten said:

Can someone Mathammer out the points cost of those units?  Are they all pretty consistent?  (On my way to work...)

Kurnoths 220 (getting a discount), revenants 160 and dryads 200.

Interesting to hear that Kurnoths are again discounted as their price was increased in the last GHB. Maybe they'll go to 200 now :)

Can we please all remember that discussing mod decisions is off-topic, wether one agrees or disagrees with them?

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

Maybe, anything that reduces model counts should be welcomed but it doesn't seem very likely. There are some exceptions but GW have a long term habit of generally lowering points costs as time goes by, matched with a trend towards needing bigger and bigger units.

I would hope they have learned from their mistakes.

I remember looking into getting into WHFB during early 8th, seeing the model count in that system and immediatly closing the chapter. I think the escalating model count had a big part in killing WHFB, it is not just the monetary and time factor, but also that building and painting the same kits over-and-over-and-over again in itself is just a very disencouraging to large parts of the potential player base.

I think it would be hard to claim that AoS reguires a greater model count than WHFB 8th and the model count at least does not seem to have gone up from WH40k 7th to 8th.

At this point, it would not cause me personaly much heartbreak if the game got a greater model count, it would lower my interest in actually playing, but I am mostly here for the collecting and converting. Playing is just a fun bonus thing to do once enough miniatures have been finished.

But for the hobby overall, I think it would have a clearly detrimental effect, the disencouraging and raised access bar outstripping the profit any additional sales generated from people going along with such a move.

10 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

The arrticle also mentions Kurnoth Hunters & Spirits of Durthu dropping in points,so the hunters may now be 200-180 which falls in line. 

Was anyone expecting these units to drop?  

Is there a trend in the previews on what unit types are dropping?

(just for fun like, not interested in 'its broken' answers ?)

Just now, Rogue Explorator said:

I remember looking into getting into WHFB during early 8th, seeing the model count in that system and immediatly closing the chapter. I think the escalating model count had a big part in killing WHFB, it is not just the monetary and time factor, but also that building and painting the same kits over-and-over-and-over again in itself is just a very disencouraging to large parts of the potential player base.

I think it would be hard to claim that AoS reguires a greater model count than WHFB 8th and the model count at least does not seem to have gone up from WH40k 7th to 8th.

At this point, it would not cause me personaly much heartbreak if the game got a greater model count, it would lower my interest in actually playing, but I am mostly here for the collecting and converting. Playing is just a fun bonus thing to do once enough miniatures have been finished.

But for the hobby overall, I think it would have a clearly detrimental effect, the disencouraging and raised access bar outstripping the profit any additional sales generated from people going along with such a move.

40k Warhammer World GTs have been dropped from 2000pt to 1750 for this 'season' of tournaments. If games are getting too big, we can look to scale back the points.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Folks, whilst it is nice for some of you defend how this forum is moderated, this topic is vastly going off course, so this is the last call for this topic. Can we please stay on topic about the discussion the second edition of Age of Sigmar.

For those of you who are new or have criticism of the recent moderation, I just want to point the following....

1. TGA takes pride in this forum being a happy place for you all to spend time discussing about your hobby. This is something you do for fun and to relax doing and it's nice to chat about how your games have gone, or that cool model you have seen, or how to paint something a certain way.
  2. It may come across we want you all to be super positive and not have anything bad to say, that is not the case. We welcome criticism about the game, how GW operate or even how we run this forum. HOWEVER - we want constructive criticism, not just negative comments.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, eciu said:

AOSFFSylvaneth-May25-Amporae10tg.jpg

With summoning looking like it will mostly likely have a ceiling, I wouldn't be surprised to see each summoning faction balanced with summoning in mind. So it's quite possible that if you're not summoning  in a summoning army, you're playing under strength.

3 minutes ago, stato said:

40k Warhammer World GTs have been dropped from 2000pt to 1750 for this 'season' of tournaments. If games are getting too big, we can look to scale back the points.

That works, provided what makes the games "to big" actually depends on point cost :P

Though, from what I have been reading on tournay player blogs (some write very nice battle reports), this seems more because tournament games havee been taking too long to fit into schedules and less with model count.

The increased relevance of battalions and exchanging points for command points will both have the effect of reducing model count. More heroes will also do this.This will probably be balanced by summoning,  so I imagine model count in AoS 2 will be similar to now.

5 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I have played single 2000 point match of AoS. It didn't add much to the 1000-1500 points we normally play, except time and amount of models to be hauled to the club.

My experience in 1000/1500 vs 2000 point games is that in the small games the two armies clash and the action is concentrated in one area with maybe a small  skirmish of 1 unit vs another in another part of the board, but in 2000 point games there's often two "real" fights going on. It adds a bit more tactical depth of where to commit forces.

I don't see a change in model count on the battlefield. Except for the summoning stuff which can gives more units.

BTW, 2000 points in 40k is very different than 2000 in AoS. Because units in 40 are way smaller and each unit can shoot in 40K with very different weapons. We don't have that in AoS wich is CC oriented.

3 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

My experience in 1000/1500 vs 2000 point games is that in the small games the two armies clash and the action is concentrated in one area with maybe a small  skirmish of 1 unit vs another in another part of the board, but in 2000 point games there's often two "real" fights going on. It adds a bit more tactical depth of where to commit forces.

It depends how you set the objectives. The pitched battle scenarios with objectives around the table (the meteor scenario for example) really make you think about how you split your army with only 1500 points. For 1000 points we normally use 4x4 boards so there is bit more congestion, but still rarely a big scrap in the middle. 

8 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The increased relevance of battalions and exchanging points for command points will both have the effect of reducing model count. More heroes will also do this.This will probably be balanced by summoning,  so I imagine model count in AoS 2 will be similar to now.

Between battalions being a way to farm command points and the units to fill the battalions getting cheaper, it does feel like GW is making a push for battalions in  2e. It makes you wonder if maybe there's going to be some kind of big shake up in force organization. Some kind of generic battalions that only grant command points(like 40k detachments) instead of abilities or other buffs would be interesting, especially if having all battalions replaced battle line for matched play. The force organization with the conditional battle line for all the stub factions(mostly elves) has been one of my biggest issues with AoS matched play since it came out. I would live to see it addressed in some way.

3 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It depends how you set the objectives. The pitched battle scenarios with objectives around the table (the meteor scenario for example) really make you think about how you split your army with only 1500 points. For 1000 points we normally use 4x4 boards so there is bit more congestion, but still rarely a big scrap in the middle. 

True, objectives do play a big part, but at 1000 points, I rarely see the battle really spread out. 1500 points can go either way depending on objectives and army composition.

My two cents.

Free summoning got me excited.

i play a heavy rotbringer nurgle list so now I get some free daemons as well. But when I really look into how many contagion points I can get per turn and the fact that trees also cost contagion points it looke like realistically I may get 2 units of 10 plaguebearers and a tree for free in a 2k game. It will be useful, but far from game breaking. So on the nurgle side i’d Say it’s pretty well balanced. And considering nurgle shooting is still little to none, it also seems like I won’t have a huge leg up because I get to summon. I just get a couple free units instead of bullets. Yes I could save up for a GUO but it looks like I couldn’t get him till turn 3 most likely and you set up nurgle units at the end of movement so I won’t get spells or Command abilities from it until turn 4.

So at least on the Nurgle end I don’t see anything terribly strong, but it’s still useful.

i have little knowledge on other army’s that can summon, but the balance nurgle seems to have gives me hope they will al be ok

in other areas I really hope the adjust points or strips names from the maggots lords so they are worth it. 220 seems right in like with LoA.more wounds on maggots lords but no DR. Or the ability to take artifacts.

Archived