Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

4 minutes ago, Themoocher said:

If an nondeepkin unit is within 3 roll a die. On a 4+ they take a mortal wound. On a 6 they take me mortal wounds. 

The shipwreck also adds to the rituals.

what happens on 6 ? 

Any more info please :D 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished jotting down what Les Martine revealed on Warhammer Live.

Please feel free to correct any errors.

- One of the unique command traits is Unstoppable Fury. The general adds 2 to its Attack characteristic during 3rd battle round.

- Akhelian Hero on the mount(the guy on the battletome cover I suppose) has a harpoon as melee weapon. It has 4 Attacks, D3 damage per attack.

- The said Akhelian Hero on the mount has a command ability which gives an Idoneth Deepkin unit within 12" a bonus to the number of attacks.

- Aspect of the Sea(Eidolon of Mathlann) has a missile weapon: 15", 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 2. I am not sure about its Rend characteristic.

- Melee weapons has: 3 Attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, rend -2, damage 2

- Special rule called Dormant Energy: Aspect of the Sea heals d3 wounds if he has not cast a spell or unbound one in the turn.

- Has two unique spell, one of which is Tsunami of Terror that deals d3 mortal wounds to an enemy unit while healing d3 wounds for the Aspect of the Sea.

- Also has a special ability: Pick a point within 18" and roll a d6 for each unit within 3+.

If the roll is less than the number of models in the unit, that unit  heals d3 wounds if it's an Idoneth Deepkin.

If it is not an Idoneth Deepkin unit, then it suffers d3 mortal wounds.

- One of the artefacts allows the hero to ignore mortal wounds on 5+. Apparently, the Aspect of the Sea can take an artefact.

- Isharan Tidecaster: Knows a spell called Riptide, which gives -1 penalty to hit rolls of an enemy unit.

- Soul Scryer has two abilities.

1) Finder of Ways: Soul Scryer and up to two other Idoneth Deepkin units can deep strike(i.e. set up more than 9" away from enemies).

2) Seeker of Souls: Pick an enemy unit within 24". All Idoneth Deepkin units add 3" to their charge rolls against that enemy unit.

Les Martin said both abilities can be used on the same turn to make 6" charge after the deep strike.

- Namarti Reavers' bow: 18", 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, 3 Attacks when the target is more than 9" away. Not sure about the rend characteristic.

- Namarti Thralls' Melee weapon: +1A against models with 1 wound, +1 to damage against models with 4 or more wounds.

- Ishlaen Guard: Equipped with swords and shields. These are the defensive version of Fangmora Eel cavalry.

- Riders's melee weapon: 3 Attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 1, No rend

- Eel's Jaw: 1 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage D3 / Eel's tail: D3 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 1. Again, not sure about their rend characteristics.

- 14" move, 4 wounds.

- Leviadon: 12" move, 3+ save

- Idoneth Deepkin units that are wholly within 12" count as being in cover.

- Leviadon's Jaw: 1 Attack, 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound, Rend -2, Damage d6. On hit roll of 6, the target suffers 6 mortal wounds.

- Other melee weapons of the Leviadon and its crew:

1) 4 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Rend -1, Damage 3 

2) 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, No Rend, Damage 2

- Ballistas on Leviadon's Howdah: Each has 24", 3 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound.

With the lethiathon plus first turn that gives eels +2 save, and thralls 3+ save that is really strong and really tanky, it seems like running two of them would be worth it is they are not too expensive, while army can have +1 cover save

26 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

One of the unique command traits is Unstoppable Fury. The general adds 2 to its Attack characteristic during 3rd battle round.

It was +2 attacks to any melee weapon, i thought.  He just gave the example of using it in the 3rd round with going in combat first.

27 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Isharan Tidecaster: Knows a spell called Riptide, which gives -1 penalty to hit rolls of an enemy unit.

-1 to hit and -1 bravery I think it was.

4 minutes ago, Connelj2 said:

With the lethiathon plus first turn that gives eels +2 save, and thralls 3+ save that is really strong and really tanky, it seems like running two of them would be worth it is they are not too expensive, while army can have +1 cover save

I don't think that you can stack cover saves 

7 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I don't think that you can stack cover saves 

It will most likely depend on the wording of the ability though.  "As though in cover" isnt the same as being in cover, I would bet its a FAQ question though.

41 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Just finished jotting down what Les Martine revealed on Warhammer Live.

Please feel free to correct any errors.

- One of the unique command traits is Unstoppable Fury. The general adds 2 to its Attack characteristic during 3rd battle round.

- Akhelian Hero on the mount(the guy on the battletome cover I suppose) has a harpoon as melee weapon. It has 4 Attacks, D3 damage per attack.

- The said Akhelian Hero on the mount has a command ability which gives an Idoneth Deepkin unit within 12" a bonus to the number of attacks.

- Aspect of the Sea(Eidolon of Mathlann) has a missile weapon: 15", 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 2. I am not sure about its Rend characteristic.

- Melee weapons has: 3 Attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, rend -2, damage 2

- Special rule called Dormant Energy: Aspect of the Sea heals d3 wounds if he has not cast a spell or unbound one in the turn.

- Has two unique spell, one of which is Tsunami of Terror that deals d3 mortal wounds to an enemy unit while healing d3 wounds for the Aspect of the Sea.

- Also has a special ability: Pick a point within 18" and roll a d6 for each unit within 3+.

If the roll is less than the number of models in the unit, that unit  heals d3 wounds if it's an Idoneth Deepkin.

If it is not an Idoneth Deepkin unit, then it suffers d3 mortal wounds.

- One of the artefacts allows the hero to ignore mortal wounds on 5+. Apparently, the Aspect of the Sea can take an artefact.

- Isharan Tidecaster: Knows a spell called Riptide, which gives -1 penalty to hit rolls of an enemy unit.

- Soul Scryer has two abilities.

1) Finder of Ways: Soul Scryer and up to two other Idoneth Deepkin units can deep strike(i.e. set up more than 9" away from enemies).

2) Seeker of Souls: Pick an enemy unit within 24". All Idoneth Deepkin units add 3" to their charge rolls against that enemy unit.

Les Martin said both abilities can be used on the same turn to make 6" charge after the deep strike.

- Namarti Reavers' bow: 18", 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, 3 Attacks when the target is more than 9" away. Not sure about the rend characteristic.

- Namarti Thralls' Melee weapon: +1A against models with 1 wound, +1 to damage against models with 4 or more wounds.

- Ishlaen Guard: Equipped with swords and shields. These are the defensive version of Fangmora Eel cavalry.

- Riders's melee weapon: 3 Attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 1, No rend

- Eel's Jaw: 1 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage D3 / Eel's tail: D3 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Damage 1. Again, not sure about their rend characteristics.

- 14" move, 4 wounds.

- Leviadon: 12" move, 3+ save

- Idoneth Deepkin units that are wholly within 12" count as being in cover.

- Leviadon's Jaw: 1 Attack, 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound, Rend -2, Damage d6. On hit roll of 6, the target suffers 6 mortal wounds.

- Other melee weapons of the Leviadon and its crew:

1) 4 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Rend -1, Damage 3 

2) 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, No Rend, Damage 2

- Ballistas on Leviadon's Howdah: Each has 24", 3 Attack, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound.

You know, this is even better than I first thought possible! These guys may be expensive though, but holy carp everything sounds like it can be put to great use even in a low point army! The riders can put out a good number of attacks on the shield eels (no rend, but still awesome!) the eels can rip and tear in a unit of 3, and a possible 2+ save on the charge within the leviathan's bubble sounds perfect.

The Turtle sounds like it's going to be a ton of points, but with all that shooting, attacks and damage, plus the bonuses to cover and being able to tank hits, this sounds like it's going to be the true center piece! 

Warhammer Live channel is now broadcasting a game between Idoneth Deepkin and the Maggotkin.

It seems to be a 2,000 points game, and below is the Idoneth Deepkin roster.

- Heroes

Akhelian King(General)

Tidecaster

Soul Scryer

Aspect of the Sea

- Battleline

20 Namarti Thralls

3 Ishlaen Guard

3 Ishlaen Guard

- Others

10 Namarti Reavers

Leviadon

The Idoneth Deepkin also brought two gloomtide shipwrecks, although I am not sure if these costs points as well.

Meanwhile, the Maggotkin roster has an Unclean One, Lord of Afflictions on Rot Fly, Festus, 70 plaguebearers, and 6 plague drones.

The Idoneth Deepkin are more "elite" than I expected.

9 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

You know, this is even better than I first thought possible! These guys may be expensive though, but holy carp everything sounds like it can be put to great use even in a low point army! The riders can put out a good number of attacks on the shield eels (no rend, but still awesome!) the eels can rip and tear in a unit of 3, and a possible 2+ save on the charge within the leviathan's bubble sounds perfect.

The Turtle sounds like it's going to be a ton of points, but with all that shooting, attacks and damage, plus the bonuses to cover and being able to tank hits, this sounds like it's going to be the true center piece! 

You wont get a 2+ on the charge because you cant benefit from cover if you charged.

7 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Warhammer Live channel is now broadcasting a game between Idoneth Deepkin and the Maggotkin.

It seems to be a 2,000 points game, and below is the Idoneth Deepkin roster.

- Heroes

Akhelian King(General)

Tidecaster

Soul Scryer

Aspect of the Sea

- Battleline

20 Namarti Thralls

3 Ishlaen Guard

3 Ishlaen Guard

- Others

10 Namarti Reavers

Leviadon

The Idoneth Deepkin also brought two gloomtide shipwrecks, although I am not sure if these costs points as well.

Meanwhile, the Maggotkin roster has an Unclean One, Lord of Afflictions on Rot Fly, Festus, 70 plaguebearers, and 6 plague drones.

The Idoneth Deepkin are more "elite" than I expected.

Man that is super elite compared to what i was expecting. Guess i gotta go watch the game now and see how they handle.

With those kind of abilities everything will be ultra-expensive, those cavalery riders have 4W , 14'' fly move and inv save - c'mon they got to cost 220-240 and up , Thralls with extr abilites are min. 140 (but 160 is possible) , Turtle is big monster so he's like 300 min, Aspect of the Sea is crazy good - it's like about 400 points of value. 

IDK, I think you're pricing them a bit too high, just going off the list above and putting in your estimates, that gives us 1660 points.  Leaving only 340 for the King, Tidecaster and Soul Scryer.  Now the last 2 might be around 100 points each but the King being at 140 or less seems pretty far from possible.  I think if you knocked 20-40 points off most of the units you listed you might be closer to the real costs.

Akhelian King(General)

Tidecaster

Soul Scryer

Aspect of the Sea 400

20 Namarti Thralls 320

3 Ishlaen Guard 240

3 Ishlaen Guard 240 

10 Namarti Reavers 160?

Leviadon 300

Some of the info on the other guys run down was abit incorrect and didn't care to piece it all out from his thing, as i went through and went over the twitch stream vod a few times for mine: Probably onyl a few differences from what was posted above, but i figured i'd post and let others pick through and see differences. I triple checked each line was i rewatched the vods. 

Command trait unstopable fury: +2 attacks to one melee weapon in fight phase during high tide (battle round 3)

Ishalan Guard 14" move

King has option to use Falcon which he can use instead of his normal weapons (normal weapons give +1 to armor save). Basicly sounds like he can chose between being killy or tanky.
Falcon For king: 3 attacks 3+/4+/-/1
(great sword) weapon for King: 6 attacks (i think this is with the command trait) 3+/3+/ -1/ D3 
King allows eels as battline
Command ability increase a units attacks by 1.

Leviathan Increase armor save.

One enclave: Reroll 1s depending on the turn, turn 2 reroll 1s to hit, Turn 3 Eels reroll 1s to wounds

Aspect of the sea (wizard): 15" shooting d3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2
Side Trident 3 attacks 3+/3+/-2/2
scepter (multiple attacks, number not stated) 3+/3+/-1/1
Storm shale (cloak): 2d6 attacks 4+/4+/-/1
Dormant energies: IF he doesn't cast or dispel a spell this turn Heal d3 wounds. 
wounds:12 3+ save
tsunami of terror: casting value 7: d6 enemy units within 12" -1 to hit rolls and bravery. 
Sea mist: pick any unit within 12" if deepkin heal d3 wounds. Enemy unit do d3 mortal wounds

Idoneth spell: 
Vorpal malestorm: cast 6: a point in 18" roll for each unit within 3" of that point, if less than the number of models in that unit it takes d3 mortal wounds. 
Arcane Corrosion: Cast on a 6, measure to closest enemy unit. Depending on how far the enemy is they take a number of mortal wounds: 0-12 unit takes 1 mortal wound,12-24 2 mortal wounds, 24-36 3 mortal wounds, 36-48 4 moretal wounds.

artifact: arcane cawl: 5+ mortal wound save.

Tidecaster:
Riptide: until next hero phase -1 to hit rolls (to what or where??? they didn't say). 
Special ruile as general: (not stated, apparently it's good)

Soul scryer: 
Combat teleportation
Missle attack 18" 8 shots 5+/5+/-(?)/1(?)
melee attacks 3 3+/4+/-/1
Finder of the ways: instead of setting up on the battle field set them up in the ethersea. the soul soul scryer and up 2 two deepkin units can be set up off the table. Can be brought on 9" from an enemy and within range of a table edge (range of edge not noted). 
Seeker of souls: In the charge phase picks an enemy units within 24" all deepkin add 3" to thier charge rolls. (Wtf <.< spooky...)
Has access to rituals:

Riturals: Tide casters or soul scryers:
roll 2d6 and on a 10+ you get to have the ritual effect. Priest add 1 to the roll, Near ship wreck add 1, if range of another hero add 1. 
Rituals are:
1. Enemy doesn't get cover save
2. Heal 1 edolen wounds (all of your edolens??), reroll failed hit, and casting rolls. 
3. Stop enemies flying

Gloom Tide Shipwreck:
Can put down at the start of the battle:
"at the start of the battle you can set up two ether tide vortexs" Basicly you can set up 2 full boats, or 2 half boats, or a full boat and a half boat.
Idoneth wholely within 6" get a 6+ save against all wounds. 
Ether sea: any enemy unit within 3" on a 4+ takes 1 on a 6 take d3 mortal wounds.

Thralls (taken in this guys list as killy unit):
Profile not listed can be found on community site:
Sweeping blows: unit has a wound charateristic of 1, att 1 to the attack characteristic. IF they have wound characteristic of 4 or more add 1 to damage. 
Max unit size 30(???)

Reavers:
Two shooting options: (don't know if different weapons, or two options for the same weapon)
18" 1 attack 4+/4+/-(?)/1(?)
9" 3 attacks 4+/4+/-(?)/1 (?)
Reavers reroll runs

Ishlan Guard: (defensive guard version)
Sword/shields
3 attacks 3+/3+/-/1
Eels: Fanged maw 1 attack 3+/3+/(?)/D3
Tail d3 attacks 3+/3+/-/1
14" move, 4+ save, 4 wounds, fly
Shield on community site, Ignore rend, 3+ save of charge.

Leviathan (turtle dude, i know it's not spelled that way, but spare me);
16 wounds, 3+ save, 12" move
2 harpoons:24" 3 attacks 3+/3+/-(?)/1(?)
Crushing claws: 1 attack 2+/2+/-2/d6
Any hit rolls of a 6 for the claws, does 6 mortal wounds. 
Scythed fins: 4 attacks 3+/3+/-1/3
Spears of guys on top (don't know how many: 3+/3+/-/2
Void Dome(?): Any idoneth deepkin unit are treated as in cover wholly within 12" of the leviathan

2 hours ago, Drofnum said:

It will most likely depend on the wording of the ability though.  "As though in cover" isnt the same as being in cover, I would bet its a FAQ question though.

Eh, no. "As though in cover" means the bonus is exactly "as though the unit were in cover". It will not stack. 

While l do like the fact that it appears ID will lean towards a low model count elite army, do we really need more rend immune units in the game? That should really be a rule reserved for spirits and nothing else... it just widens the power gap between them and several armies that don't have easy access to mortal wounds, while making IK a little more susceptible to mortal wounds (which the top lists tend to have no problems spreading around). Not a fan of that - but there is a lot to like otherwise. 

EDIT: Didn't refresh page, all been said already :P 

Super excited for them now, but not sure whether to pull the trigger and grab a box of thralls asap or not! Do seem like they will always be useful, but would like to know their points costs to see if they can be objective holders in 1k.

Archived