Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

3 minutes ago, Themoocher said:

I think the comment was more, we finally have not hyper sexuallized woman and men in current model line. More like the elves should be.

The old Guardians and Kabalites weren't sexualized at all, they were all in full armor. The Wyches have always been rather scantily clad, but that also included the male Wyches, plus they're gladiators, who historically didn't wear very much clothing or armor. And even though they're in all spandex, I wouldn't say the Harlequins are sexualized.

That said, I do agree that it is good that we're getting even more gender equality, so I definitely agree with the sentiment. There has always been some in the Elven/Eldar ranges to reflect their androgyny and their more egalitarian view of gender, but we can always use more equality. 

I was actually kind of bummed that the ratio of males to females looks pretty unbalanced in the Thralls kit. Maybe there are more female torsos and heads in the kit, but I only see 3 females out of the 10 Thralls.  Maybe there are more females in the Namarti Archers kit. That would make sense.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so using the Kharadron release last year as a template we saw:

Week one: Cards, Hero, Unit, Tome, and large kit.

Week two: Unit and small kit.

Then they skipped a week, which sucked.

Week three: Two heroes and a unit.

Week four: Hero, special character, and huge kit.

Here we see our preorders as the cards, Battletome, Lotann, the Namarti, and Eidolon. Plus the dice and shipwreck.  Seems fairly close to the Kharadron release.

Using THE POWER OF SUPPOSITION I think next week we may see Allopex or Fangmora eels.  Maybe both?

14 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Using THE POWER OF SUPPOSITION I think next week we may see Allopex or Fangmora eels.  Maybe both?

I hope you are right, I need to see if the eels can be battleline like they are rumored to be.  If so I'm going to have myself a shark and eel army.

7 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Hmm, we know the archers are to come so might be them and sharks next? Then soulrender and one of the wizards with the eels/archers, then finally the last wizard, deepmare special character, turtle.

Oh, the archers are a kit all on their own?  I bet next weeks's releases are going to be archers and the Allopex, then.  To the Fortress of Supposition!

Actually, I agree with your prediction 100%.  You may be on to something!

I've been looking around to find replacement heads for the blind bald ones. I've also wanted to snag some Sisters of the Watch. Turns out that kit also can make Shadow Warriors and those helmets are perfect - they even have an Elf rune on them. I'm just going to fill the helmet's eye holes with a dab of green stuff.

3 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

I've been looking around to find replacement heads for the blind bald ones. I've also wanted to snag some Sisters of the Watch. Turns out that kit also can make Shadow Warriors and those helmets are perfect - they even have an Elf rune on them. I'm just going to fill the helmet's eye holes with a dab of green stuff.

I'm probably going to use a combination of Dark Eldar Reaver Jetbike helmets and Wrack masks (with the eyeholes filled in) to give them the mirrored faceless look, like the Deepkin drummer on the turtle. 

The Wrack masks will probably work better because the Jetbiker helmets have a swoopy thing on the back that might interfere with the Thralls' spikey collar.

8 hours ago, Themoocher said:

That is legitimately just looked at. I can see the seahorse guy being that price, maybe the turtles. But, I don't think the avatar should be that price.

If you have the White Dwarf there is a picture of the Eidolon next to Gordrakk. Although the Eidolon is a slimmer model he is much taller and much more detailed. He is about twice the height of the seahorse guy, although comparable bulk.

At GBP65 I think he is a really well priced model.

I am also glad that the Thralls are at the price point they are - suggests that the army as a whole is going to be relatively elite if the Battleline troops are price wise similar to other Aelf elite like Black Guard and Shadow Warriors

41 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I am a little perplexed, are the namarti two separate kits? Then again I dont understand why they dont use some neat looking spears (bc ya know its easier to thrust under water) instead of giant axes and swords lol.

Yep - the Thralls are the close combat guys and the boy unit is a different unit. I have read in various places that there will be different weapon options for the thralls, but nothing confirmed as yet

56 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I am a little perplexed, are the namarti two separate kits? Then again I dont understand why they dont use some neat looking spears (bc ya know its easier to thrust under water) instead of giant axes and swords lol.

Well, I guess the same reason why bows and arrows are used underwater by the thralls? Maybe they are so much stronger due to swimming at great pressures and they can swing it with no problem?

edit: found out that bow fishing is a thing today! So i guess bow and arrows can be used under water!

23 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, I guess the same reason why bows and arrows are used underwater by the thralls? Maybe they are so much stronger due to swimming at great pressures and they can swing it with no problem?

edit: found out that bow fishing is a thing today! So i guess bow and arrows can be used under water!

Bow fishing is shooting an arrow into water to catch fish, which works like a harpoon. The issue with a bow underwater is the string would be sodden and lose its tension. But hey, I also don't care because magic underwater aelves with harpoon bows!

Really tempted to pick up greenstuffworlds chameleon paints and experiment with these guys.

37 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Bow fishing is shooting an arrow into water to catch fish, which works like a harpoon. The issue with a bow underwater is the string would be sodden and lose its tension. But hey, I also don't care because magic underwater aelves with harpoon bows!

Really tempted to pick up greenstuffworlds chameleon paints and experiment with these guys.

I swear I read they use special materials for their weapons that let them use them underwater like air. Then when the aether sea spell is cast they still work like they are underwater when abovewater. 

Wait, magic lets them use them underwater as if they were in air, and then more magic lets them use bows above water as if they were under water where they can use them as if they were above water......... O.o

Kidding aside, I have no problems with the Aethersea. 

2 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

I swear I read they use special materials for their weapons that let them use them underwater like air. Then when the aether sea spell is cast they still work like they are underwater when abovewater. 

^THIS

These are magic elves who can turn water into air and air into water and they can manifest their collective memory of a dead sea god into a physical being who actually wears a tidal wave like a cape. One of them is a literal soul accountant who has a pet flying octopus bodyguard secretary that carries his underwater inkwell and parchments. SOOFCOURSETHEYCANEFFICIENTLYSWINGSWORDSANDAXESUNDERWATER. lol

Also, literally everything in the AoS universe is magic. The realms in which people live aren't planets, they're infinite planes and the only thing that prevents you from being able to actually travel forever in one direction, is that the further away you get from the center, the more reality falls apart, so you turn into a frog and explode, or shatter into a cloud of flying whispers.  There is no solar system and no galaxies,  the universe is a collection of thematically differentiated pockets of infinite space made of coalesced intangible concepts and ideas, manifested into a very flexible kind of "reality" where mortals, immortals, gods, and animated thoughts all exist together.

Post-End Times, the division between the natural and supernatural is virtually non-existent.  Newtonian physics, the laws of motion and gravity, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics...  the fundamental nature of reality and the very notions of "realism" and "natural"... are all meaningless in this setting. 

But, by all means, give all your magical, eyeless, aquatic, soul-vampire elves spears and tridents, instead of swords and axes, if that feels more "realistic" to you. LOL

12 minutes ago, Rou Dantes said:

^THIS

These are magic elves who can turn water into air and air into water and they can manifest their collective memory of a dead sea god into a physical being who actually wears a tidal wave like a cape. One of them is a literal soul accountant who has a pet flying octopus bodyguard secretary that carries his underwater inkwell and parchments. SOOFCOURSETHEYCANEFFICIENTLYSWINGSWORDSANDAXESUNDERWATER. lol

Also, literally everything in the AoS universe is magic. The realms in which people live aren't planets, they're infinite planes and the only thing that prevents you from being able to actually travel forever in one direction, is that the further away you get from the center, the more reality falls apart, so you turn into a frog and explode, or shatter into a cloud of flying whispers.  There is no solar system and no galaxies,  the universe is a collection of thematically differentiated pockets of infinite space made of coalesced intangible concepts and ideas, manifested into a very flexible kind of "reality" where mortals, immortals, gods, and animated thoughts all exist together.

Post-End Times, the division between the natural and supernatural is virtually non-existent.  Newtonian physics, the laws of motion and gravity, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics...  the fundamental nature of reality and the very notions of "realism" and "natural"... are all meaningless in this setting. 

But, by all means, give all your magical, eyeless, aquatic, soul-vampire elves spears and tridents, instead of swords and axes, if that feels more "realistic" to you. LOL

Spears, tridents, nets ect are all more fitting or typical for aquatic aesthetics.

playing off the Greek theme this would still apply..

that being said gw can do what they please. They are still nice models, even with  the ham fists 

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

I find 85 € to be quite harsh.

It's not about having the money. It's about buying an apple for 10 €...

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Hey, 8 and a half apples will be mouldey in a week, plastic is forever ?

40 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

Ten bucks for an apple? Only if it is used and from the 1980s. Have you seen the prices for the recent Gen tech they are charging? And that doesn't include cables software and stuff. Gw prices are fine compared to Apple's :-P

Were you talking about the fruit or the laptop?

Cause either that is a really expensive apple, or a really cheap computer.:)

Archived