What drew you to collect your Army

Karchev23

So ive been playing aos for a year, and im sorry to say but i have warhammer ADD.. in that time frame ive had 4 2500 pt armies, but the first was Beastclaw Raiders. 

Due to circumstances i had to sell said Beastclaws. HOWEVER! Im getting back into them since ive lost interest in my KO. 

Beastclaw Raiders were my first love for this game, i got into them the moment the battletome came out, the new fluff, the models,  play style appealed to me on a level i never really had with alot of armies. 

So i pin the question to you, what was your first AOS army? And what drew you to collecting them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first AoS army is the Stormcasts and to be honest they are my only army at the moment. I love the idea behind them and their aesthetic. Plus the armour us simple enough to paint.

But my first army was dwarfs back in 3rd edition warhammer and grew through the years. I still have them all and will eventually dig them out for re basing at some point.

For me it was a mix between visuals and army size. I liked the style of the Seraphon and Beastclaws. (Well I always liked the ogres and mostly the big monsters, so I was amazed to see them beeing an individual army).

Coming from Khemri Seraphon seemed to be a bit to much like a horde army. I wanted to go more elite, so I choose Beastclaws.

aesthetics, fluff, playstyle and in that order. For me it was the dwarfs. To me they looked the best all lined up in big blocks. Backed with cool artillery and slayers (god I loved those models). After that the story of the Old World started to live a bit and as dwarfs were quite elite and the contrast with skaven drew me to them. Horde style, quite unreliable but potentially powerful. 

A long time ago, I played Dogs of War (the White Dwarf book from 6e).  Anyhow, eventually I got sick of crushing defeat, and I liked zombies, and I had Richter Kreuger's Cursed Company, so I switched to Vampire Counts and haven't looked back since.  Now I play Flesh-Eater Courts primarily, but have decent contingents of Deathrattle and Nighthaunt.

I have had about a 13 year break from the hobby, but when I was a young teenager I used to play Ultramarines in 2nd & 3rd edition 40K. 

I got drawn back into the Hobby by Warhammer Quest Silver Tower and Gorechosen and after spending my youth defending the dead empower I new I had to switch allegiances in the Mortal Realms. I loved both my Khorne & Tzeench Models but when my Dad decided he wanted to paint Stormcast it was obvious I should follow the call of the Blood God because what else would we do with all those extra models from the starter set?

My firstborn warriors, if in general, were the elves from the IoB which were transitioned to the AoS quite easily. I always liked elves since the LotR, and I especially like the aesthetics of the elves (all of them) in WH and AoS, so the choice was obvious.   Others that I have are also those I enjoy visually very much, that's why I am a slow painter :D

3 hours ago, Killax said:

Khorne has a great marketing team.

true! his new boys are amazing, especially the blood warriors. Who could have expected it from him?

3 hours ago, Killax said:

Khorne has a great marketing team.

This ^ 

But realy, I have been messing around with the forces of Chaos for far to long. So when I started to play AOS I had all the parts and daemons ready to get the ball rolling. I mean a few months ago I raided my bits box and built 40 marauders! 

For my empire it was a good night in the pub coming up with pig based puns, followed by 10 years of love, painting, paint stripping, re-painting, re-modelling and more love!

For my daemons it was I liked the bloodletter models and thought I could paint them quickly... 

Last summer my wife and I dropped into a GW store on a whim and started to think about buying a few models to paint. I was pretty sure I'd pick something from either Death or Chaos, but seeing a photo of a silver armored Stormcast made the decision for me. So in August we went and picked up some boxes, I ended up with Stormcast and she decided on Slaanesh.

Now I have almost 5000 points (mostly unpainted, long road ahead) of Stormcast and there's no turning back!

Every one of my AoS-Army until now is more or less just a continuation of my WHFB-armies. 

I started Orcs because of Warcraft II, where I was fascinated by these green warhungry barbarians with tusks. 

I started High Elves because I wanted a contrast to my greenskinz.

I started Empire because most of the Fluff was from their perspective and I was going to start a roleplaygroup with miniatures, so many humens were needed.

I started Chaos because I loved the possibility for converting and alternative miniatures.

Ok, I guess my Undead are kinda my "AoS" Army. I started them because they are, besides Dwarfs, the typical fantasy-guys which were still missing in my collection.

I started with the AoS starter set and it was a great intro. however the lure of seraphon was too great, so in terms of first thought out army it was them. The new rules have boosted well too. 

Agree with  the ADD remark...I also have aelf as well as an expanded stormcast army.....and some sylvaneth for skirmish games.

next year I’d love to try a death army.

My first actual AoS army (I have several Warhammer and 40k forces from years and years before) is Stormcast.  I shamelessly love giant armored Paladin-styled figures, and the icing on the cake was how awesome bare Space Marine heads make the otherwise boring Stormcast look.  Even moreso now that there are actual official barefaced models, and also female models.

The miniatures, frankly I end up with a selection of armies over time of varying sizes. My main AoS force is my Ironjawz, because they're brilliant miniatures and I also spent a lot of time around a steampunk themed Orruk army that I use as Bonesplittas, who are effectively all Orruk zombies, bought back via steam bionics and a bit of Waaaagggh. It's used across 40k and AoS so some of the miniatures look a little bit out of place until you notice the lack of guns

I've always been a big fan of Dwarfs, I had a Kings of War Dwarf army and a box of Thunderers I picked up at the end of 8th with thoughts of getting into the game. When AoS did drop, I was hesitant to go forward with Dispossessed because it was unclear if they had a future and then we started hearing rumors about steampunk dwarfs and when the Kharadron Overlords came out they were basically everything I would have hoped for.

Also I have to say I was drawn to my other army, Orcs (sticking with the old name as 75% of the models are pre-2005, lol) as I fell in love with the lantern jawed, gorilla body look that Orks and Orcs were redesigned with around the late 90's (3rd edition 40K, don't remember the WHFB edition).  I don't know why, as they all look like they have something seriously wrong with their lower spines so their butts stick out, but they just look so much more mean and intimidating than the skinny Orcs before that change.  It's like an army of mini-Hulks!

I picked Tzeentch Mortals because I started with Silver Tower, really liked the Ogroid Thaumaturge and figured that I'd have a couple of units straight out of the box. It felt like a pragmatic decision at the time, but obviously didn't quite turn out that way, as there are no Arcanite start collecting boxes and the models in the Silver Tower set came in eights rather than tens... Lessons not learned I'm sure, as I am bound to be drawn by aesthetics as much as anything else and practical decisions are a long way down the road disappearing in the rear-view mirror!

My first AoS army were my 8th ed. WHFB Ogres and I only had the army for a short time after AoS launched. I only had them at all because the low model count meant I could paint up a reasonable army quickly for playing Triumph &Treachery once in a blue moon.

My first real AoS army (built and painted for AoS) was Seraphon. Dinosaurs are awesome! Dinosaurs on dinosaurs are better!! Dinosaurs on dinosaurs with LAZORS and magic star-frogs are the best! I'd tried to make a WHFB Lizardmen army but I got sick of painting 3547 Saurus Warriors and nothing else. So when AoS dropped and I could built and play any kind of dinosaur army I liked, I jumped on it!!

Archived