Help my girlfriend decide!

So my girlfriend has decided she wants to get into Sigmar a bit as she has always loves the models in the windows but she is stuck between Slaves to Darkness and Sylvaneth. I'm not hugely knowledgeable on Sigmar as I only rarely play it as games are rarer and only collect Khorne myself.

So please! Leave some pros and cons for each! Cheers!

slaanesh? :P no joke my missus started on them.

pros - plenty of female models ( some girls prefer female models ) new releases sooner than other factions

cons, small range currently. 

it depends on how illing she is to get into things or what difficulty she is willing to start at. bigger models are typically easier to paint 

Sadly she can't go mixed Alliance and do both...

Sylvaneth have a newer range, a battletome, and a more concrete spot in the lore. 

BUT Slaves are super customizable, being able to take any one Chaos God allegiance without any extra models.

Honestly, hard choice. Sylvaneth has more dynamic models, but Slaves have flexibility towards future expansion. 

Can you proxy some games and see which playstyle she prefers? Or, if she is more of a painter, but a small box of each and see which one is more fun to build/paint.

I would recommend Sylvaneth.  It would clash well with Khorne.  It’s also fun from the hobby standpoint with a variety of ways to paint.  You can also add good allies, like Stormcast or Wanderers.  The only drawback is the need for lots of woods.

Sylvaneth are cool but I think people really need to understand one important thing with them before buying them: They can get really expensive. I would even consider them being the most expensive army in the game (not counting some old out of production or weirdly overpriced models such as daughters of khaine). The wyldwood are very expensive and I bet that most who start sylvaneth don't even realize they need them. 2000p army can easily cost 500 euros or more unless you just spam start collecting sets. Throw in Alarielle and that's extra 100 right there.

In comparison, StD are quite inexpensive and have tons of collecting options for them. They're old models but still decent looking. 

Slaves are that bit older sculpt wise, but they do have a massive range of models available, so she would have a choice of painting armour, flesh etc.  If she veers towards a single Chaos God, that also opens up the opportunity for other ranges - Daemons, Rotbringers, Disciples etc.  However Sylvaneth are completely different to anything else and overall have newer models and a more current Battletome.

Let's also be careful about gender stereotyping here too ;)

Two different armies, and each with their strengths.  Stylistically, they are completely different - Sylvaneth are based on tree-folk and wood elf/fae aesthetics, while the Slaves to Darkness are based on evil Viking raiders and turned up to 11 with the Dark Gods as an influence.  Both armies are good choices.  And I'd be hard-pressed myself to choose one over the other.  That said, my wife has been interested in Sylvaneth since I got into AoS, and though she has yet to play a game, she has enjoyed painting some of the models.

Something to consider is that Sylvaneth are more "good guy", while Slaves to Darkness are more "bad guy", but only at the most abstract sense.  Sylvaneth are mostly out for themselves, generally speaking, and Slaves to Darkness can include non-evil, mortal worshipers of the Chaos gods.

Also, since you already play Khorne, with her selecting Slaves to Darkness, you could play together in a large army as teammates, and borrow each other's models to expand your own armies for games.  With Sylvaneth, she could expand her collection into other Order forces should she get the inclinations.

Sylvaneth have these going for them:

• Good mix of unit types, only lacking cavalry (light infantry, elite units, monsters, etc).
  • Good mix of melee and ranged units.
  • Decent magic.
  • Recent army support, not going away soon.
  • Great mobility when using the Wyldwoods to move around.
  • Awesome Start Collecting Box - two or three of these are a great start to the army.
  • Can be given some shenanigans with Matched Play rules.

Slaves to Darkness have these:

• Large selection of models available, especially for infantry and cavalry/chariot options
  • Strong selection of melee units, but lacking in ranged options
  • Decent magic
  • Lots of options for Allies and expanding the army
  • Good Start Collecting box to get started
  • Amazing conversion opportunities

I agree with Caos vs Order so if she likes Sylvaneth go with Sylvaneth. She can stay at a reasonable low model count (this is an up-point if you are new to the hobby as you have less to paint and Sylvaneth can be straight forward when it comes to paint bark and foliage); she can enjoy the feminine side of the hobby if that is what she likes (I've seen once a girl having a full painted Skaven army, so we are talking about rats, all in pink/purple tones plus glitter! it was gorgeous!), or make them up pretty grimm as some of them are supposed to be.

Archived