Season of war: Firestorm

Arkiham

2 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Only that the situation in 40k was quite different, to say the least. Here in AoS I never saw a situation in which you have to carry about lots of books, basically you just need your scrolls which you can show and use via the app actually.

EXACTLY MY POINT.

You are right, it's not an AoS problem. Which I love. I love the game.

The addition of more universal rules in another book, adds one to the pile. This worries me. 

The app argument is largely pointless because that isn't the only way to play. I could have everything on my phone, but I choose to buy something I can read properly. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

The addition of more universal rules in another book, adds one to the pile. This worries me. 

I don't think you have to worry, because modularity of the rules is the biggest game advantage of AoS. And even then all of this is stored usually in one book, so no much trouble here.

8 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

The app argument is largely pointless because that isn't the only way to play. I could have everything on my phone, but I choose to buy something I can read properly. 

I didn't say it is the only way, did I. It just simplifies your problem to a minimum.

So is anyone planning a campaign of Firestorm?  I dont have time to run a restricted campaign so I think our club will be running a map based campaign with influence from the Firestorm pack.  

Im loving the fluff included though, since getting back into Warhammer ive not known what to do with my old Dwarfs as they seemed to be floating around with no identity (I dont read the novels so maybe I missed something about them) but Firestorm has just cemented my love of the little guys in the Sigmar world(s).  Tempests Eye is now their home and gives me somewhere to base my Kharadrons too.  Im much more enthused about this than the shadespire in the Realm of Death fluff.

6 minutes ago, stato said:

So is anyone planning a campaign of Firestorm?  I dont have time to run a restricted campaign so I think our club will be running a map based campaign with influence from the Firestorm pack.  

Im loving the fluff included though, since getting back into Warhammer ive not known what to do with my old Dwarfs as they seemed to be floating around with no identity (I dont read the novels so maybe I missed something about them) but Firestorm has just cemented my love of the little guys in the Sigmar world(s).  Tempests Eye is now their home and gives me somewhere to base my Kharadrons too.  Im much more enthused about this than the shadespire in the Realm of Death fluff.

I would love to if my army was ready by then, but I suspect I won't be ready til xmas - how long do these temporary campaign packs last for in the community? By when will people no longer want to play it? 

I'm in a similar situation with Moonclan/SPiderfang, I don't really know where they fit into this new world. When deciding how to paint and base my models I decided that they live in mountain tundra high up, raiding downhill when bored and wanting to pillage things. 

Please don't think I'm moaning about what we've got to move round currently, I use the warscroll cards the majority of the time which removes the need for me to cart round one book or (easily droppable) electronic device.  My concern is more that GHb is barely cool and we're already getting additions to it, there's just part of me that's worried that this is going to become the norm.

6 minutes ago, stato said:

Yes!  Myself and a few others have a weekend planned at the beginning of November where we're heading up to WHW to play a load of games.  Hoping to link all of the games together into a Firestorm campaign if we can :)

19 minutes ago, stato said:

Yes, I am planning to run a campaign over two day-long sessions using the Skirmish rules (which might require some modification depending upon the win conditions of the scenarios). I am really excited to paint up a small force from one of the new cities (probably the Living City, but maybe Greywater Fastness or Tempest's Eye). I think the new paint schemes and the fluff bringing together humans, elves, dwarves, and various types of creatures is really, really cool. It reminds me a lot of the old Empire cities/provinces, except with more types of models to paint. 

22 minutes ago, stato said:

13 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I'm in a similar situation with Moonclan/SPiderfang, I don't really know where they fit into this new world. When deciding how to paint and base my models I decided that they live in mountain tundra high up, raiding downhill when bored and wanting to pillage things. 

I am not surprised. I always liked the logic "I don't know anything about them and have not read the fluff but I already have an opinion, no matter that it has no ground". You should read first and foremost Order Grand Alliance book and Destruction one respectively. Apart from that KO have their own battletome which explains everything as much as it is possible, and the Spiderfangs are featured heavily in the Godbeasts book and the Everchosen battletome. 

16 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I am not surprised. I always liked the logic "I don't know anything about them and have not read the fluff but I already have an opinion, no matter that it has no ground". You should read first and foremost Order Grand Alliance book and Destruction one respectively. Apart from that KO have their own battletome which explains everything as much as it is possible, and the Spiderfangs are featured heavily in the Godbeasts book and the Everchosen battletome. 

I never understood why GW don't push black library more on the site. They have 'if you like this model' and show other complementary stuff, but never books 

New post from GW regarding the new Firestorm update.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/make-your-own-free-city-the-easy-way-sep26gw-homepage-post-4/

And an awesome little line at the end of the article.

"If you’re looking for rules to go with your city, or fancy having a go building it for yourself, Firestorm is perfect, bringing rich, map-based campaign play to Warhammer Age of Sigmar."

I wonder now if the "city tactics" that are presented in the earlier articles are just pre-made ones ready to go, sort of like how the Kharadron Overlords have their differing abilities that they can choose for customer Fleets, while the pre-established ones use a ready-made set of rules.

In any case, I'm really excited for this release.  Narrative gaming for the win!

Awesome, my goblins are going to live in a mountain watchtower settlement that we stole off the stormcast, who died disgracefully at the hands of my juvenile goblin apprentices whilst out looking for feathers. They were easily outmanoeuvred as their peripheral vision was obscured by their stupid helmets. 

So my city is called Seer's Port (Nice name),  it is located in Hysh (Fitting to the name!). His size is similar to a Watchpost. They are a outpost of Seraphon with a small population of Duardin ( I rolled two 6's and one 3 in Inhabitants). It has little of note (Dam roll of 1 :D ), and what makes it special is that they civilians are plagued by dreams (Well, this actually fits pretty well with the name Seer's Port, I rolled a 62).

I saw something like this years ago to make your own Old World Knighly Order or Space Marine Chapter, I always love this kind of things, this one is pretty good. Actually, I like very much the one I have rolled. Funny thing is, I was starting a Seraphon army and have a small force of Dwarfs... is this destiny? 

1 hour ago, Galas said:

Actually, I like very much the one I have rolled. Funny thing is, I was starting a Seraphon army and have a small force of Dwarfs... is this destiny? 

Tzeentch at work, actually :)

56 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Have I missed something about Seraphon? Wouldn't they not have any settlements since they are all dead and only "remembered" by the frogs in times of need?

not necessarily, but yes, they don't live on earth, so to speak, instead they live in the stars.

21 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Have I missed something about Seraphon? Wouldn't they not have any settlements since they are all dead and only "remembered" by the frogs in times of need?

Long term summons to safeguard a particular area? Always an explanation in AoS!

Looking to snag Firestorm, splitting the cost amongst 4 people and play a few camlaigns as we build up our forces.

On 9/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, RuneBrush said:

My concern is more that GHb is barely cool and we're already getting additions to it, there's just part of me that's worried that this is going to become the norm.

Recognise that fully. I played the standard skirmish campaign before PtG dropped, managed to plan two PtG game days before GHB drops. As of yet we haven't even tried out the Triumph and Treachery rules because the first day we can come together is in November. And now firestorm comes along which is also drawing our attention. 

All of which is good. More option, all the better. But the quality needs to be very high. Skirmish felt very rough around the edges, even a bit hurried. PtG was very good. GHB2017 feels only half finished to me*. And who knows about Firestorm? I would rather see them drop the rate of expansions in favour of updating the current factions. 

*And by this I mean that the new stuf is all very cool and well thought out. But if you give so many factions abilities and rules, then I feel you should do all 'main' ones. I get that some factions are support/allies faction and that is fine. But stuff like grots, Gutbusters etc deserve faction rules as much as Darkling covens of Dispossessed do. 

I don't know if anyone else has discussed this, but have you seen the pure SAVINGS on the Firestorm bundles?  I did the math, and, in USD, they are all about $100 off of MSRP buying the kits individually.  To me, that is the most exciting thing about the release.

New book?  Awesome.

New GW releasing even better pricing bundles to encourage sales?  Even better!

(Even though I probably can't afford models, all the kits are pretty much on my list of future projects, and the temptation is strong!)

The only thing I don't like about them is that it's essentially a mandatory purchase for 90% of competitive AoS players. If your army can take a Firestorm Allegiance, there is literally no reason not to take it. It is free and upgrades over your regular abilities. Unless they have Matched Play points and they're quite high, I see this as basically a forced purchase. Which is not good overall for GW

I'd be surprised if Firestorm-abilities make their way into competitive/tournament games.

They'll always be taken if allowed to and there is no consideration whatsoever. (on top of adding another layer to the already wonky list building process)

For club games it will be the same as always. Talk to your opponent, if he's cool with it, bring it on.

Firestorm plus the Open War cards together certainly is going to inject some varitety into the game and hopefully help combat the "run towards each other as fast as possible" effect of a mostly melee-centric  miniature game.

My only disappointment was that I was hoping that the mat was a poster, so I could back it onto metal sheets and use magnets rather than the sticker effect.

Archived