Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 hour ago, Iradekhorne said:

Nodoby see this combo??!

Glotking with "Blades of putrefaction" spell + 40 marauders...

Marauders have the barbarian hordes skill + dammed icon (+1 to hit and reroll ones). Glotking give him +1 wound with his spell and +1 atack with his commans hability.

Then you have 40 marauders with 2 wouds and 2 atacks, hitting on 3+ and causing mortal wounds on 5+.... Is really hardcore cause 40 marauders are 200 points!

Tried it the other night. Couldn't get the +1 to hit off but they took out he small KO gunship and a couple squads of arkanaught company. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aaron Schmidt so far so good, Friday will be my 3rd of the month :D only friendly games though. Hoping to enter my first local tournament in March.

@Iradekhorne @smucreo not important who suggested it, but it would be something that’d make the Grandfather giggle with delight. Might be a good idea add sayl into that mix also. 

4 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@Killax have you seen any 3rd party chaos warriors that look sufficiently grotesque? 

Yeah those from Avatars of War but they are a bit smaller I believe.

At least it requires less armour molestation.

Corruptors-of-the-Apocalypse.jpg

Avatars of War has a cool alt Herald too:

Avatars-of-War-Herald-of-Pestilence.jpg

Then there are some cool Daemon Princes from other compagnies :)

10 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yeah those from Avatars of War but they are a bit smaller I believe.

At least it requires less armour molestation.

Corruptors-of-the-Apocalypse.jpg

Avatars of War has a cool alt Herald too:

Avatars-of-War-Herald-of-Pestilence.jpg

Then there are some cool Daemon Princes from other compagnies :)

I had these.

The plastic is horrible an i really struggled to get them to stay together 

4 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I had these.

The plastic is horrible an i really struggled to get them to stay together 

Yeah it depends on approach. Having said that Im also familiar with PP plastics and used super glue there too.

Its workable stuff but not GW easy.

Either spend time converting or cleaning ;)

Yeah in general I think a pack of Blightking bits and greenstuff can get you really far. Other alternatives I think are still really cool are:

Daemon Princes [creature caster]:
virulence-shop-1_1100x.jpg?v=1507552124
glutton-new2_1100x.jpg?v=1504485103
plague-new2_1100x.jpg?v=1504506501
maggot2-store_1100x.jpg?v=1505866702

Bits and Heralds [spellcrow]:
PlagueMarks.jpg
PlagueLordConversionSet.jpg
SPCM2009Plaguebringer.jpg
SPCM2007TheAncient.jpg

Daemon Prince [raging heroes]:
gluttony-HEROIC-fantasy-PEINTE_grande.jpgluttony-scifi-leg_grande.jpg?v=13384107

Alternate Rotbringers, Nurglings and Beasts of Nurgle [Kromlech]:
rotten-butcher.jpg
thi-gh-taar-devourer-of-flesh.jpg
plaguelings.jpg
morbid-beast-chimney.jpg
putrid-snail-beast.jpg

On 24/01/2018 at 7:42 AM, Killax said:

Well it only works for the GUO, but the prime reason for me to skip the Bileblade is because as a non-Nurgle player I would instantly stop seeing it as a massive issue piece. Everytime a GUO hurts itself it's one step closer to death in my eyes. So not only is the Nurgle player playing a dangerous game there it basically sets the GUO up to be killed. Which is something I just don't like too much.

E.g. a WoK Bloodthirster can't kill a fully healed GUO by itself when general, with Artefact etc. But the moment that GUO would drop to 14 wounds things become vastly different. Plus it all occurs before your opponent has to make all the choices so even when you hurt yourself and still get spells unbound you can get punished. If there was more reason for Nurgle to have high cast results, maby, but there isn't other than for harder to unbind purposes.

Factor in the Tome without much downsides and I think it's not only saver but keeps the GUO as a relevant beatstick, which is near impossible to kill and can actually use his Pestilent Breath without the fear of oppossing models rolling him up completely. 

However as said, there is good internal balance, the choice is certainly there. Magic is important but I feel the Bileblade isn't needed the moment you hold a cheaper sorcerer in the back that can play with the Cycle. Which then kills oppossing support characters that most of the time are doing the unbinding. It should cascade to a point where GUO doesn't need the Blade at all.

You make some very strong points, but I think it definitely comes down to personal preference as I personally don't think there's really a right or wrong answer to the question. Both arguments have strong pros but they also both have cons. I'm probably going to run two which makes the argument a bit easier for me since the second GUO will be kitted out to be a combat beast!

i definitely think you make a strong case for the flail though 

19 hours ago, Turragor said:

Yeah, it feels like the options for the GUO are pretty balanced (mayybe not the bell - it feels automatically the best in all cases - but jesus the sword looks good).

Interesting part is that if you also play 40k, the bell is in my mind a subpar choice, which just makes it even more important to magnetise the kit for those of us that play both AoS and 40k with our Nurgle Daemons. :-)

1 minute ago, Spiky Norman said:

Interesting part is that if you also play 40k, the bell is in my mind a subpar choice, which just makes it even more important to magnetise the kit for those of us that play both AoS and 40k with our Nurgle Daemons. :-)

Tbf I think that the GUO is a bit of a subpar choice in 40k ;)

11 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

If I reset the nurgle wheel to 6

pick d3 units, do d3 dmg At the start of my hero phase. 

Does it have immediate effect? Or do I have to wait till next turn since once casting I am past the START of my hero phase

whick means I would have to set it to 5 since my next turn it changes

As far as i understand you can even do :

-Start of your hero phase, get "pick D3 unit that get D3 wounds

-Use the command trait to move to N°7

-Heal D3 damamge

- normal hero phase : Cast the spell to get a bonus like +2 movement.

So 3 bonus in one turn. :/

1 hour ago, Soldier of decay said:

If I reset the nurgle wheel to 6

pick d3 units, do d3 dmg At the start of my hero phase. 

Does it have immediate effect? Or do I have to wait till next turn since once casting I am past the START of my hero phase

whick means I would have to set it to 5 since my next turn it changes

Set it to 5. Indeed the Magic reset is in your Hero phase and not at the start of it.

Varanguard. Is there a way to mark them without Archaon?

I was listening to a few reviews and it was mentioned that during the first Hero phase they can be marked, but upon reviewing their warscroll; under Archaon's Command it states that Archaon must be on the battlefield to do so.

Did i miss something? or is there another way to get them marked Nurgle to benefit from the Maggotkin synergies? 

46 minutes ago, FRoper said:

how do people feel about breyherds as allies. could they add anything we do not have or have access to. i liked the look of ungor raiders. 

They're not a fantastic fit, but Ungor raiders with shortbows do add some additional ranged support, particularly if they're screened by our tough units.

Personally prefer to add a Plague Claw catapult or two, because it won't eat into your Allies

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

They're not a fantastic fit, but Ungor raiders with shortbows do add some additional ranged support, particularly if they're screened by our tough units.

Personally prefer to add a Plague Claw catapult or two, because it won't eat into your Allies

I've thought about Ungor Raiders as well.  Blades of Putrefaction would work for their ranged attack right? I mean GW suggested using Blades of Putrefaction and Blight Kings throwing heads from the Lord of Blights ability. Just multiply that with Ungor Raiders. I have a unit of 30, and if the spell goes off on them, thats 30 shots, re-rolling 1's and 2's with mortal wounds on the 6's in addition their normal damage. Right?

2 hours ago, Sigmalthus said:

I've thought about Ungor Raiders as well.  Blades of Putrefaction would work for their ranged attack right? I mean GW suggested using Blades of Putrefaction and Blight Kings throwing heads from the Lord of Blights ability. Just multiply that with Ungor Raiders. I have a unit of 30, and if the spell goes off on them, thats 30 shots, re-rolling 1's and 2's with mortal wounds on the 6's in addition their normal damage. Right?

Would be nice to have a unit that can sit on an objective and still be offensive..18" is good range!

9 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Have you found the re-roll 6's to wound to be particularly useful? I guess I have always favored the +1 to wound rolls stage.

In the grand scheme of things added with Plaguebearers and the like I absolutely hate it as an opponent. The effect of it matters even more when your opponent starts buffing to wound rolls. So in general the effect is good. Spamming the D3 Mortal wounds is where the fear lies, so it's a nice bonus of 5 to get to 6 ;) 

Archived